Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Brugmansias: Brugmansia / Datura Contest

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 45, Views: 481
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2001
2:57 PM

Post #80035

can we enter more than one category? like in ground and container, and brug and datura??
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2001
3:18 PM

Post #80042

now if I can just GROW them:)
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 4, 2001
3:42 PM

Post #80047

Hey KHT - where did this forum come from?! ha! It wasn't here Friday and voila! Here 'tis today! (Haven't been on all weekend) I have a dilemma...It's been downright cold here in SW Wisconsin, and the brugs haven't really 'taken off'...so, I'm not sure which one(s) I'll want to enter by July 1...what to do?
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 4, 2001
4:31 PM

Post #80063

Har har...I've 'considered' that...but just can't do it...too much family here & we just couldn't leave them...and I love our little place nestled into the hillside!! I'm bettin' you'd be a great neighbor though!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2001
4:32 PM

Post #80064

LOL K 'HT are you getting a commision on that house or are they just going to let you choose who moves in so you can make certain they are gardeners!
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 4, 2001
5:58 PM

Post #80094

http://davesgarden.com/showthread/41984.html

This link will take you to the photos forum for a sneak preview of the 1st place awards for this great competition!
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

June 5, 2001
6:00 AM

Post #80261

by july 1? i have brugs i haven't seen bloom yet, should i enter them all and then pick my favorite one in october?
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2001
9:55 AM

Post #80274

Removed by member request
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

June 5, 2001
10:37 AM

Post #80275

trish, yes i received my first cuttings and babies grown from seed the first week of june last year...had only put one of those in the ground...AND apparently at least one was misnamed (seed grown, did it "revert"?) and the orange may be a versicolor as the trader told me, but the brugs page says versicolors don't have serrated leaves, and this one is sure serrated!! and the one i bought at the flea market was called "orange"... and a local trader told me she received a "juter orange" that bloomed pink!!
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2001
2:42 PM

Post #81101

kht
funny story! I was at a nursery by Erin's grandmother last month, where I found the P. suberosa. Anyway they had P. vitifolia marked 'Blue Passion' vines, was told that the way they came to them and will be sold as 'Blue Passion' vines.
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2001
3:28 PM

Post #81115

01/01/02?? Great!! Have you been busy with cuttings?

I remember last year when I purchased the so called vine marked as '10" vine', I wasn't sure if it was a P. cocinea or P. vitifolia. I called the store up, asked for the name of the supplier, called the supplier up, drove out 15 miles from work to have them ID it for me. I purchased another one from the supplier, that is how you endup with the #3 can.
The lady and her hubby were so nice, I bought $45 bucks worth of passion vines from them! Only a few of her passion vines were tagged, but she knew everyone of them, she even told me of the flower color, growth habits, etc.
Hmmm, I should take a long lunch break next week and pay them a visit, and I'll try to remember to take my camera with me.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

June 11, 2001
7:45 PM

Post #82310

Karma- so am I to understand you are starting a Brugmansia nursery? Congratulations, wish I had the know how of starting a buisness and running it and I might be there with you. Send me a link or a list of what you are going to be selling when you get it up and running. I have thought that having a nursery would make it a lot more affordable to grow Brugmansia I love so dearly, but I lack the knowledge and the money to put into it as one really must have several heated greenhouses to make a go of it with Brugmansia unless one lives further south in Florida.
Keep up the good work KT,
Brugmansia
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

June 12, 2001
3:23 AM

Post #82439

KHT, why would you have to leave DG? the market growers are here. I have the bug too, have spent the last 6 years typing reports at home, looking out windows. am starting some things rooting, if all goes well i will sell them at the flea market or something. brugmansia, i think that is a good way to get your feet wet, and brugs go kinda dormant in the winter anyway, don't they? rome wasn't built in a day and as many brugs as you apparently have you should be able to work into a market at your own pace, brugs certainly are not common around here. i am trying antique roses, will try some brugs but that is iffy with my small number of small plants, and a couple of other things that are kind of unusual and seem easy to me.
With this kind of addiction it is only smart to try to get some of the money you spend back, or make some to reinvest in more plants.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

June 12, 2001
5:02 PM

Post #82535

First hybrids of the new year are blooming. Nothing special, just 2 white type suaveolens x versicolor looking hybrids from my frosty white. Tendrils are about 1 1/2 inches long, flower does not flare that much and both are a bit smaller than the frosty pink. Perhaps good to hybridize with, but nothing special beyond that. All I can say is that they are the earliest bloomers and have pink hidden in there somewhere, give them another 24 hours before I give up on any color appearing as it sometimes takes 48 hours before the true color shows. As for going to the flea market, sounds like a good idea. Perhaps take some pictures with me of the plants so people can know what kind of blooms they are getting. Of course the fragrance can't be had in a picture and thats what attracts me to Brugmansia more than anything. Hopeing and wishing for a just one out of last years hybrid batch that I like.
Arlene, Brugmansia go dormant in the winter here some years and some years in this part of florida they don't. Depends on the year. After they get a certain size, its easy to keep them flowering much of the year even this far north in Florida. Of course the Brugmansia I have planted further south in Florida do much better and rarely freeze back so I can hybridize much better just a few hours south of here. It is desireable to keep a few indoors or in a greenhouse for seed setting though just to be on the safe side in Florida.
KT,
There are more and more nurseries specializing in Brugmansia and these nurseries are growing very rapidly so I would think that you might do fairly well if you could get an internet based buisness so your clients were not restricted to the locals. Pictures and fragrance are what sells these babies, so of course it would be advisable to have a few mother plants in full bloom of each type to attract potential buyers when the time comes to start your own buisness. Wishing you much luck,
Brugmansia
Brugmansia
dave

June 17, 2001
3:58 PM

Post #84078

Karma, I have no idea where you created this idea that commercial folks aren't welcome here. That's just not true, and you suggesting that it is makes DG look bad.

Dave
dave

June 17, 2001
4:13 PM

Post #84082

Please reference the thread where I said that commercial folks aren't welcome, Karma.

Dave
dave

June 17, 2001
4:51 PM

Post #84090

Thanks, Karma. I didn't think you'd be able to find that post, because I know I wouldn't say anything like that.

I am pretty picky about folks who misquote me.

Dave
dave

June 18, 2001
3:24 PM

Post #84295

sigh...
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2001
2:19 PM

Post #85827

Oivind
Trondheim
Norway

June 30, 2001
11:11 AM

Post #88571

Where do I find the entry form
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2001
11:26 AM

Post #88572

arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

June 30, 2001
12:12 PM

Post #88582

Oivind, can't wait to see your pics! do you have any you can post now?
Oivind
Trondheim
Norway

July 1, 2001
9:42 AM

Post #88895

I'm sorry Arlene. Due to the climate there is no flowers on my Brugmanisa sanguinea yet. It was sown in march last year and it reached approximately 7-8 feet before the winter arrived. This spring I sowed several species and hybrids (mix). Hopefully some ot them will flower this year.
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

July 1, 2001
10:01 AM

Post #88897

Oivind, i hope they bloom for you too. i would love to see some pics of Norway and its flowers, though if you ever get a chance on the photo forum.
arlene
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

July 8, 2001
4:27 PM

Post #91944

Better make that July of next year. Mine are no where ready to bloom. Disappointed to say the least. Congratulation to the winner . It won't be me. Jim
purpleiris
Powell, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 9, 2001
3:39 AM

Post #92157

kht- I am new at this but would like to enter a datura, less than 2 years and a brug, containered less than 2 years and maybe a brug in the ground less than 2 years. Let me know. Thanks!
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2001
3:51 AM

Post #92159

one of those you have is mine, right kHT? I'm not giving up, it's a long time til October:)
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2001
2:41 PM

Post #92256

you bet!! It's not for the largest plant, it's for the best picture of your baby, right?? :) I'm just having a blast getting out there every morning and talking to Sammy (my salmon, first one and biggest) I cut her head off the other day, and she's not pouting anymore. I moved her into more sun last week or so, and she pouted everyday, and I've babied her almost as much as my grandbaby!!
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 9, 2001
3:39 PM

Post #92282

Of course I'm singing to her!!! Where I first put her, there wasn't as much sun as I thought, but she has shade from the afternoon sun. She really likes it there, she is just an attention hog!!! Oh, and she said to tell y'all that she loves the fish emulsion!!! I wish I could come up there too! I'd take everything Pebble left behind (ummm...Pebble, what were you thinking, leaving plants! )
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

July 9, 2001
9:22 PM

Post #92407

Karma, I may take you up on it yet!!!!
I just read a recipe for a shampoo where you use yukka leaves...sounded kinda interesting

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America