Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

PlantFiles Pictures: Amaryllis 'Apple Blossom' (Hippeastrum hybrid)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 4, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2004
5:35 PM

Post #789408

Amaryllis 'Apple Blossom'
Hippeastrum

An Amaryllis 'Apple Blossom' with 2 blooms open, 7 more blooms on their way to opening and more flower stalks forming at the end of February. This bulb was placed in the house about 1 month ago. The other bulb was left outside in the cold and has not even leafed out yet. (San Antonio, Tx.)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/56447/

Thumbnail by htop
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Toxicodendron
Piedmont, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2004
12:06 PM

Post #790064

That's a fancy background you have there, Hazel. How do you get so many blooms? Mine usually make a maximum of 2 stalks with 4 flowers on each stalk. Mine are just starting to show signs of growth (in storage). Maybe your longer growing season helps increase flower buds? special fertilizer?
I have noticed that appleblossom is my most reliable and heaviest bloomer, with the largest flowers.
Susan
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2004
1:09 PM

Post #790245

I took the photo with my neighbor holding the plant's pot tilted back in order to see the bloom. We did this behind my car. The background was not a pretty sight to see with my neighbor's car and mine behind the plant which caused a distraction from the plant. I thought the bloom needed a nicer background because it is so beautiful.I had a lot of fun creating backgrounds which I haven't done in quite some time.

My neighbor's sweet mother gave me the bulbs last summer and they are large bulbs. I haven't done anything to them except for watering them because I haven't had them that long. I'll ask his mother about them when she comes back to visit. She lives in Louisiana.

P.S. I just posted a photo of my 3 sweet olive trees about 15 minutes ago for you to be able to see them. I don't know when it will be posted, but be on the lookout.

This message was edited Tuesday, Feb 24th 9:32 AM
Toxicodendron
Piedmont, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2004
11:22 AM

Post #791227

I will be watching for the sweet olive pics...they are scratch and sniff, right?
When I went to the orchid show in St. Louis, I also went through the camellia conservatory. There were 2 large sweet olives blooming and the smell was heavenly.
Can't wait to try growing my own!
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2004
12:42 PM

Post #791288

Love the scratch and sniff comment ... :o)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 8 Nov 17, 2014 3:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America