Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

PlantFiles Pictures: Creeping Fig, Climbing Fig (Ficus pumila)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 9, Views: 529
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2004
3:10 AM

Post #789847

Creeping Fig, Climbing Fig, Creeping Ficus
Ficus pumila

New growth on Ficus pumila which I call fig ivy which I was not happy to see. I have tried to kill this plant for at least 12 years due to the damage it does to the brick and wood on my house. (San Antonio, Tx.)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2029/

Thumbnail by htop
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Toxicodendron
Piedmont, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2004
11:56 AM

Post #790051

I have always admired this plant, and I have some in a pot. Guess it is a good thing that I am in zone 6, or I would have it crawling all over my house, too. (Instead of the Hedera helix). This fig ivy is pretty on rock or stucco walls, but must be constantly thinned and pruned to keep from obliterating everything else. I have worked that pruning process in both Florida (outdoors) and in St. Louis (in the Climatron). Thanks for your comments, you probably just deterred me from planting it against an interior wall of my greenhouse.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2004
1:29 PM

Post #790258

I decided that I had to remove it after having to prune it every other month because it grows so fast. I am sorry to have to do it because it is a beautiful plant.Thanks for your comments. I'll try potting some probably in a hanging basket so that I can continue to enjoy its beauty and be able to more easily control its growth. It continues to grow in our usually mild winters. It does freeze back when temps fall into the middle or low 20s as I am sure that you know.

We had a powerful thunderstorm last night. I don't think it hailed. Hailstorms will be my next big worry followed by tornadoes. Most of my paperwhite blooms were knocked to the ground ecause there were so many on each stalk. I hope they will come back up after they dry off because they were really nice. The petals of course will be damaged. I may have to stake them which I don't want to do.
Toxicodendron
Piedmont, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2004
11:32 AM

Post #791232

That sounds all too familiar...the hail and heavy rain damage. We usually get 2 or 3 good hailstorms a year, sometimes tornadoes in the area, too. Many times my heavier daffs and also the peonies are face down in the mud, and they never fully recuperate. But, we must have rain, so I can't complain too much. I usually cage the peonies, but even with that support, they get so heavy with rain, they often droop and even occasionally break their stems.
I had 2 crocuses blooming yesterday! And my hellebore is sending up its bloomstalks pretty quickly now. Spring is never very predictable here, but it is running pretty late this year.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2004
12:51 PM

Post #791296

I was happy to see the rain. We are still behind in rainfall, but the wildflowers are coming up now. I planted lovely little crocuses in amongst my tall Mexican petunia 2 years ago, but a wild animal dug them up last year searching for grubs and they did no reappear this year. It is so fascinating watching bulbs emerge and bloom. It always seems like magic to me. I am glad that yours are coming up to provide you some joy after your harsh winter.
floylilley
Fernandina Beach, FL

June 11, 2004
6:03 PM

Post #906044

Who has any good idea as to how to take fig ivey off two stories of a stucco surface in Florida? I have cut the plant's base. It is dead and dried out for two-months, but the tentacles seem so tenacious. Any clue as to how to get it down without pulling all the stucco out? My homeowners association is about to fine me for such an eyesore, but I can find NO one who knows how to remove it. help if you can.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 11, 2004
8:43 PM

Post #906182

I thought I had killed it , but it is back again. :o( I have tried all kinds of ways to get it off. At least mine is in an area where I can access it more easily than you can access yours. I have used a stiff bristle brush (took hours). A water pressure washer that you can adjust to a low pressure setting might work. But if you are not careful, the stucco will be damaged. If it has dried, the "roots' where it was attached may not totally be removed. I have always tried to remove mine when it is green. Let me think on this some more. I feel your frustration.
solocynda
Modesto, CA

May 17, 2006
4:32 AM

Post #2288029

Has anyone found an effective method of removing creeping fig from stucco on a house. I have this problem and need to find a solution on how to remove without damaging stucco. Thanks
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2006
6:18 AM

Post #2291607

I have had the most success removing it from brick with a very stiff bristled brush. I have also used a metal scaper, but I would think this would damage the stucco. I am so sorry that you have this problem too.
briezy
modesto, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2006
12:47 AM

Post #2737270

I was recently told that this plant would not grow a lot in a year, that it would be perfect for the front of my office building. Since I see a lot of you disagree what do you suggest I plant. It is going to be in full sun and I would like something that does not flower.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America