Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Shed: A Man and His Tractor

Communities > Forums > Garden Shed
bookmark
Forum: Garden ShedReplies: 16, Views: 412
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LadibugZ9
Schriever, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2004
9:48 AM

Post #790011

When I gently suggested to my DH that it might be time for a new garden tractor, I might as well have suggested he cut off his right arm. Now bear in mind that each time we use this the tires have to be aired up, the engine jump-started, etc. It takes half a day to get ready to use it before we use it. But this tractor was a foundling from a long ago garage sale lovingly nursed back to health by DH and he refuses to put it out to pasture. He even has a name for it - we call it the "Garden Ranger", lol. Thought you'll might enjoy a pic of it so here it is, Ole Ranger:

Thumbnail by LadibugZ9
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LadibugZ9
Schriever, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2004
9:49 AM

Post #790012

Another view :

Thumbnail by LadibugZ9

tbolt76
Garner, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2004
2:55 AM

Post #790936

Ladibug,
What brand is that thing?
LadibugZ9
Schriever, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2004
9:22 AM

Post #791178

Tbolt,
I looked and it says Simplicity.
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2004
11:16 AM

Post #791222

LOL - that's great!

DH has several "restored" AKA yard art, pieces of machinery that also take 1/2 a day to start. He loves 'em all :)
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2007
10:13 AM

Post #3389813

3 years and a few months later - - may I inquire: is she still goin' -?-

For sure .. a most wonderful heirloom, your DH found and restored !!

Would luv to see a bit closer (detailed) shot of how the tiller attachment was powered by the rear axle ...

And am most curious, LadibugZ9 .. have you guys been able to get her 'dated' (her model year, etc.)?

- Magpye
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

April 14, 2007
2:01 PM

Post #3390601

All it took to get my guy ready for a new lawn tractor was taking him by the John Deere store. Of course we had to take along paper towels to wipe the drool off his shoes. LOL

But then he hadn't taken an antique and lovingly restored it to life.
LadibugZ9
Schriever, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2007
8:35 AM

Post #3396930

Magpye,

Yes, she's still going! DH just plowed a little vegetable plot with it. I'll have to ask him this afternoon about her vital statistics, lol.
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 16, 2007
10:05 AM

Post #3397202

Ohh, I was so afraid that you may not check your 'older' threads!! .. hee ..

GOOD, for you guys .. that she's puttering about, and still proving her worth and then some!

Also .. I was wondering if your photo just showed her 'naked' and exposing her engine .. only because you guys had her shroud off for the photos -?- If her shroud is permanently missing: it sure seems that it would be somewhat e-z to fabricate a metal engine shroud for the grand lady of simplicity! ... (hee)

Is the tiller .. belt or chain driven?
What is the brand of the engine that's on her, and do you know if it's the original engine and/or it was rebuilt .. or, a later replacement -?-
What size/HP is the engine -?-
Hopin' I can still coax you into providing another photo or two (or three +) .. hee ..
(Please?)

Oh, I should be so ashamed of myself .. for possibly comin' off sounding like an interrogation, Ladibug - - but hopefully, you can see that I'm jes truly fascinated and 'eat up' with curiousity about such equipment.

Incidentally, I can safely hold my long deceased Daddy completely responsible for my (what many then; considered much-'unladilike') interests .. (Daddy was a mechanic, gunsmith, blacksmith, musician, ye 'jack-of-all-trades, etc. ) .. lol

((huggs))

- Magpye
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2007
1:06 AM

Post #3410573

If you have a vocational ed. place near you they would probably fix that old tractor up for you. My father's 25 year old tractor was sent of to the local small engine class and they fixed it all up. My dad donated a couple of cases of oil but they tore it down and rebuilt everything. Might want to give that a try. I'm one for keeping old stuff running forever.
When I say everything I mean everything. Tractor was gone all winter, I'm surprised they didn't send it to a paint class. LOL. New paint, custom job would have been nice.
ginger749

April 20, 2007
1:16 AM

Post #3410585

So CoreHHI ,
You think there is still hope for my old Dunger ?
A set of jumper leads and she`s off like you know what .

Thumbnail by ginger749

CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2007
1:22 AM

Post #3410598

The old metal spiked wheels, nice. It's a collector piece. Those are easy to work on. A little rework and new paint and it's good for another 50 years. Actually that's more like 70 isn't it?
ginger749

April 20, 2007
1:25 AM

Post #3410603

Too Right .
Hardly any moving parts.
Worst thing is a wet bum when it rains .
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2007
1:36 AM

Post #3410622

You need some holes drilled in the seat. Fords came with holes in the seat for that reason. Sorry you bought a cheap one.
ginger749

April 20, 2007
2:01 AM

Post #3410641

70 years ago Dear Old Dad only paid 27 Quid for it.
It`s now worth more than $4000 to a collector .
Like Land , it always goes up .
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2007
8:27 AM

Post #3464917

Neat tractors! We have some friends who have gone all out restoring their very old tractors and they take them around to tractor shows. Won several prized with them too. I think they look so neat.
kmom246
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 12, 2007
6:29 PM

Post #3490288

I better not show this thread to DH or he'll be wanting to restore one or five dozen. He's a diesel mechanic by trade, a lover of old Dodges and a part owner of my 2 year old tractor (did I say "my", er, I meant "our"). I don't think I want to introduce him to mature tractors or he'll Never come in from the shop!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM
seeking source for Agway 5HP front-tine parts atlr 2 May 30, 2009 5:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America