Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Brugmansias: Tall brug tale

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 4, Views: 184
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

June 4, 2001
5:13 PM

Post #5913

thought i had angel trumpet coming up in a large (large!) pot i had annuals in... so this morning i started digging them out, and sure enough, it was angel trumpet! the one brug i thought hadn't come back from winter, i had twisted the main root ball off, topped off with soil and stuck seedlings in, but this brug wants to live!! i emptied the pot out and there are huge roots, i repotted three brugs out of there, the two largest had 80-10 inch white roots around 1/4" thick. 3 more babies, am wondering where to plant this root ball mass so that more will grow out..i love plants that love to live.
arlene
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

June 6, 2001
2:38 PM

Post #80750

Well, I think they are hardier then we givr them credit for.
I had a few cuttings that I was wintering over, thye had rooted nicely and were potted up, i had a couple of them on top of the fridge, but they werent getting any sun so were looking pretty bad, in fact one looked dead, I had run out of room, so I just put that one outside, I would say it was november. I just sat it outside on my back patio and didnt give it another thought till I was doing a spring cleaning and decided to empty that pot out, from the outside it was just a shriveled up stick, but when i dug it out, lo and behold there was still a healthy root system going, but also a new stem trying to poke out. And it endured the whole winter outside...I can't weait to see how well it is going to perform. I planted it directly into the ground, and plan on just cutting it down in the fall see what it does.
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

June 6, 2001
4:01 PM

Post #80795

pebble, the couple i had in the ground and the ones i had in pots all came (even the one i thought didn't and mangled!)it went to 16F several times here, a terrible winter for us. and the kind i have can take a light frost. i also had peace lilies stay out all winter that came back!! might plant some in the ground. i think sometimes you just have to be patient enough to give them some time to revive.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

June 11, 2001
5:52 PM

Post #82287

I have found that well established older Brugmansia are trunk hardy to 18 degrees( by older I mean 2-3 inch diameter woody trunk}. All of the green stems, leaves, etc will die back at 32 degrees if exposed to that temperture drop for too long without direct sun. This is primarily in reference to suaveolens, versicolor, and aurea species and hybrids there of in the Brugmansia family.
Loving the Brugmansia Genus,
Brugmansia

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America