Thumbnail by IowaAnn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

btailoring
Stockport, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2004
7:32 PM

Post #792742

This is my front yard shaded by two huge maple trees.

Thumbnail by btailoring

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 27, 2004
1:13 AM

Post #793046

Here's my front yard. Under 2 Oak trees and still a work in progress. My hostas have some growing to do.

Anahi, I love your hostas. So well filled out.

BT, your garden is lovely.

:^)
Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2004
1:35 AM

Post #793064

Beautiful pictures! The hosta in this picture is called sunspot. Still a baby, but coming along.

Thumbnail by IowaAnn

weeding

weeding
Peachtree City, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2004
4:02 AM

Post #793141

These are some of my ferns and Japonica.
Cindy

Thumbnail by weeding

weeding

weeding
Peachtree City, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2004
4:04 AM

Post #793142

Fatsia Japonica

Thumbnail by weeding

weeding

weeding
Peachtree City, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2004
4:08 AM

Post #793145

Helleborus

Thumbnail by weeding

weeding

weeding
Peachtree City, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2004
4:10 AM

Post #793147

Brugmansia alley is in the shady part of the garden.

Thumbnail by weeding

weeding

weeding
Peachtree City, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2004
4:12 AM

Post #793150

More Brugs in the shade.

Thumbnail by weeding

jkom51
Oakland, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 27, 2004
5:16 PM

Post #793544

This is a long narrow stretch between our house (on the right) and the neighbors' house. It was full of ugly overgrown shrubs, thorny blackberries and weedy nandina. Horrible adobe clay soil sliding down the hill, creating a drainage problem as well as a slippery danger when wet.

Everything was cleared out, a French drain was installed, and our neighbors kindly let us use their sidewalk so I could have a bigger planting area. Altho it isn't visible at the end of the concrete, there are nice concrete blocks at a right-angle, installed by my husband to connect our backyard paths to their sidewalk, so we have a good dry path to walk on.

I am constantly adjusting the plant mix in my beds as they mature, but this is what it looked like one year after planting. The white arbors are for my neighbor's grapevine which was in leaf on the left hand side.

Thumbnail by jkom51

LimeyLisa
Princeton, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2004
5:54 PM

Post #793582

Very lovely jkom. It is nice when neighbors not only like and approve what you do, but help make it easier to do your projects.

LimeyLisa Kay
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2004
10:37 PM

Post #793790

Very well put together! I like it.

Bev
Doris
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2004
12:23 AM

Post #793887

Pansies in the shade.

Thumbnail by Doris

Doris
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2004
12:31 AM

Post #793890

This is the front edge of my shade garden-the mossy area.

Thumbnail by Doris

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2004
11:57 AM

Post #794186

Ahhhhh Doris, you look like you're living my dream...to be nestled back into the woods...some day, some day (sigh!) Very nice!

Thumbnail by IowaAnn

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2004
12:15 PM

Post #794193

Ah Doris. I am ready to plant some pansies too and hope to find some when I'm in town today. There are 2 planters on either side of the porch, at the top of stairs, where I work (office in a cemetery) and I am going to plant them too. Later, probably with impatiens.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2004 8:51 AM
Doris
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2004
2:40 PM

Post #794303

Since I have no "place in the sun" to garden, I am trying to make the best of the wooded area that I have. It has disadvantages- but lots of advantages too. Today, I'm waiting for it to warm up enough to get out there again and move some more of the "tons' of leaves that are covering everything. But, being able to work in the shade in the hot & humid N. Alabama summer is definitely an advantage for this gray haired lady! There are sprinkles of daffodil blooms now and the hosta will soon to start peeking through. The evergreen ferns have been wonderful this winter. I'm planning to add more this year!
My shade garden is definitely a bright spot for me-relaxation/exercise and therapy! Keep those pictures coming. I love to see what you all are doing! Doris

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

February 29, 2004
11:32 AM

Post #795088

I just stumbled across this forum..

Your photos look like they should be in gardening magazines.

This is a photo of Brise D'Anjou Jacob's ladder. It is in with my hosta's under the apple trees.

Thumbnail by Starzz

Doris
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2004
12:34 AM

Post #795658

Beautiful! Now I must put that on my hunt list!

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2004
11:55 AM

Post #795992

Doris, I did buy some pansies Saturday and have put them in 2 different places. One is somewhat sunny but the other is in shade a lot of the time. I'm beginning to wonder just how much shade pansies can take and this will be a good experiment...
Doris
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2004
3:04 PM

Post #796134

I still want some more, too. They will last on until it gets hot here. I really love the color.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2004
11:07 AM

Post #796975

It's a little cooler here and I can get mine to last into June. I planted two groupings and one pot over the weekend.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2004 8:00 PM
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2004
1:52 PM

Post #797089

shade bed, spring 2003.

Thumbnail by IowaAnn

Doris
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2004
1:57 PM

Post #797092

BEAUTIFUL!
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2004
4:21 AM

Post #797428

I have a balcony garden that's largely in the shade, some morning and late afternoon sun. This is from late July 2003.

It's so heartening to see shade gardens. That's all I have!

Judith

Thumbnail by revclaus

revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2004
4:23 AM

Post #797430

And here's my Sweet Autumn clematis in September 2003.

Judith

Thumbnail by revclaus

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2004
1:10 PM

Post #797674

revclaus...love your balcony garden! What is the name of the hosta?
handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2004
4:42 AM

Post #798391

blue cadet and another mini-hosta which slips my mind. summer 2003

Thumbnail by handhelpers

handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2004
4:46 AM

Post #798392

old 'standards' that i got from swaps years ago - if anyone knows their real names, please let me know

Thumbnail by handhelpers

handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2004
5:00 AM

Post #798396

last spring - hostas, astilbe, foxglove, a newly finished lasagna bed which was filled by fall; ferns [which were dug up in fall to start a new lasagna bed]

Thumbnail by handhelpers

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2004
1:14 PM

Post #798595

Beautiful! how do you make a lasagna bed? Is that a layering process?
handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2004
1:19 PM

Post #798599

yes - that's the layering process. the 'finished' bed that you see started with a few layers of newspaper, then weeds, then leaves, then compost, then topsoil [from another bed], then mulch. the new bed that i've started [in place of the ferns] begins with the leaves collected from last fall. i'll rake them out to the half the height of my new bed - i'm planning to add compost [after it thaws and dries out] - then we'll see...
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2004
1:27 PM

Post #798605

how long does it take to be able to plant in the new bed? do you wait for it to decompose?
Doris
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2004
1:44 PM

Post #798609

revclaus & handhelpers,
Your plants are absolutely wonderful! Since I only have shade, I especially love to see what others do with theirs. Hurray for the balcony garden! We just must make the best use the space we have, don't we!
Doris
handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2004
2:12 PM

Post #798628

i planted right away in the first bed cuz the compost and topsoil were old - i'll probably do the same in the new one once it's done - the top layer will be about 4-6 inches so that shouldn't hurt my plants
in shade - my favorite is hosta - but astible, primrose, hellebore, foxglove do well - i cant wait till stuff starts blooming this year - cuz this year and next will be the 'test'
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2004
2:15 PM

Post #800450

Anahi, my hosta is just plain ol' albo marginata. This year will be its 5th year in that container.
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2004
12:28 AM

Post #800846

It's a beauty! 5 Years! do you ever have to divide it?
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2004
10:55 PM

Post #808378

Caladium Rosebuds in the sweltering Texas heat in July 2003.

"eyes"

Thumbnail by eyesoftexas

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2004
3:44 PM

Post #849601

Hostas are just starting to come up good.

Thumbnail by IowaAnn

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2004
11:23 AM

Post #850328

Oh that's pretty..you are ahead of me..here they are just starting to poke through the ground.
The daffs are in bloom..and the tulips are about to bloom...
Here are some pansies and primrose to brighten up my front step.

Thumbnail by Starzz

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2004
11:28 AM

Post #850332

Is there a primrose that blooms beyond spring?

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2004
11:34 AM

Post #850336

Not that I know of ..but they do seem to give about a good long month of bloom at least. The primrose in my garden in the shade are just starting to put on some buds now..
There are some beautiful bright clours of primrose..and also some doubles. I have a double called Miss Indigo I bought last year. It hasn't bloomed yet though. This is a photo from last year.

Thumbnail by Starzz

violabird
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2004
3:32 PM

Post #850520

Hey Betty, look for violas instead of pansies next fall, they will reseed if conditions are right, and don't need any sun or much water.

Also wild geraniums will reseed nicely--a friend of mine had hillsides full of them. The color here is wrong, they are a nice soft pink. I'll see if I can find some babies for you and bring to the swap. And my early blooming Iris do great, bloom just after the daffodils, LMK if you want some.

Vi

Thumbnail by violabird

goldenfish
Tottori
Japan
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2004
4:58 PM

Post #850581

Ahhh violabird, your geranium is very beautiful and good combination with hosta. Nice photo!
This NARROW bed between my house and next house is getting to be busy day by day.

Thumbnail by goldenfish

poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2004
6:15 PM

Post #850637

This is an old picture of the shady bed next to my garage. You all are way ahead of me. Things are just starting to come up now.

Those forget-me-nots reseed all over the place!

Thumbnail by poppysue

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2004
6:27 PM

Post #850645

poppysue, WOW! I love the way the hosta is nestled in the blue sea of the forget me nots! What the variety of the forget me nots? I've tried (unsucessfully) to grow forget me nots...whats the secret?
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2004
6:34 PM

Post #850652

They are Myosotis sylvatica http://plantsdatabase.com/go/233/index.html

They grow as a biennial here. Plants that bloom usually don't come back the following year. If you let them re-seed they come up every where... to the point of being weedy!
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2004
7:05 PM

Post #850673

Here's one right in front of my house shaded by 2 large japanese maples and an island above them...

Thumbnail by plantnutz

plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2004
7:13 PM

Post #850679

And the other side of the walk...These pics were taken either last year or year before last...my digital was stolen in New Orleans this year...WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Thumbnail by plantnutz

plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2004
7:15 PM

Post #850681

My island my DH calls Elvis. When I first got my Mantis tiller, I dug this up cause it was terrible to cut the grass and DH wanted to know when the semi was coming. It is almost full now...even fuller than the pics - 2 more years of planting. LOL

Thumbnail by plantnutz

violabird
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2004
7:41 PM

Post #850704

My everyone has such nice gardens! It's good to get ideas for plant combos like this.

Brenda, yours looks so inviting, I can only imagine what it looks like now. Girl, you better just get out the old 35mm and get pics put on a disc! My plants would like to see their mommies :)

Here's the rest of the slope, (and don't look at the weeds!) still on ongoing problem--it's pretty darn steep!

Thumbnail by violabird

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2004
9:27 PM

Post #850778

plantnutz, the only thing missing on your first picture is the two of us sitting on the bench with a glass of iced tea! Very inviting!
Violabird, I meant to ask you, what is the name of the wild geranium in your previous post? i didn't know that geraniums would grow in the shade...how much sun does it get?

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2004
10:19 PM

Post #850810

well, I may try to grow primroses again, then, if they bloom that long. Do they need deadheading?
As for the iris, I have the native Virginia iris (dark blue flags), and the yellow Louisiana iris, and some dutch iris. I am looking for some Japanese and Siberian iris and maybe some other colors of the Dutch. This one is called Gipsy Beauty; I do not know why it is spelled that way.

This message was edited Apr 26, 2004 6:22 PM

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

violabird
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2004
1:14 AM

Post #850923

Here's my geranium http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2649/index.html

You know I think alot of the folks make the same mistake I did, I didn't think any 'sun' plants would grow in the shady garden, but forgot the all important spring sunshine before the trees leaf out. So when I planted my Iris and daylilies I was surprised they florished. They had enough growth by the time the trees made shade and do great.

The camera is pointing southeast, see the trees on the right, it's my eastern exposure, the west side is entirely shaded by my house. I get passing sunbeams late morning and late afternoon only.
plantnutz
Austell, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2004
1:26 AM

Post #850933

anahi, vi, your gardens are lovely.

Betty, I have siberian iris - want me to bring you some. I have them in too many places...

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2004
11:03 AM

Post #851319

Yes I would love some!!! Wish I had more plants to trade myself but this is my first year at a RU.
Vi my bearded irises are in my rock garden and just will not bloom much for me. The dutch, native Virginia blue flags and other types do fine, though. I can't figure it out.. I gave them a top dressing of Black Kow and lots of bone meal (we are very low in phosphorus in our soil here) but not much else because I was afraid I would get all growth and no bloom. But I'm still getting no bloom...
violabird
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2004
11:45 AM

Post #851345

Sorry to be hijacking this thread!

Betty is the heel exposed, no mulch, top of Rhizome bare?
I've had my same Iris for over 20 years now, lost a bunch to too much rain last year-but coming back nicely again.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2004
6:57 PM

Post #851680

that's what I generally try to do. Because it is a rock garden with little retaining walls, a lot of leaves and pine straw collected on them, but I took them off. Most of the rhizomes show above the soil.
There is a great article in Garden Gate this month about irises. I am saving it for my daughter who is building up an iris garden to sell irises commercially...
Dea
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2004
11:57 PM

Post #852912

We have no real shade...yet! The place we're moving to will have a good amount so in the meantime we're just potting up what we think will look good and plant them permanently in a couple of years.

Here's a pot combination from the stuff we picked up last October when it all was ragged out and 75% off :) Hope we can find someplace in the yard to keep it from burning this summer :(

Thumbnail by Dea

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2004
7:33 PM

Post #858017

woodland phlox and bleeding hearts, a happy couple.

Thumbnail by IowaAnn

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2004
3:08 AM

Post #862869

The more brighter hostas are finding their way into my garden. I think this one is sun spot.

Thumbnail by IowaAnn

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2004
2:59 PM

Post #863202

I love this thread, just found it with my morning coffee. These are blue veronica, pink soapwort, and closest is fuschia purple geraniums. They love living under my cottonwoods and move in on my stepping stones and each other.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView

pins2006
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7a)

May 8, 2004
4:06 PM

Post #863242

Oh, Blooms, I love your view! lol I wonder if Blue Veronica and Pink Soapwort would like it here in Georgia? I have plenty of the geranium and have lots of shade. How beautiful!
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 8, 2004

Post #863405

blooms, how beautiful! I'd like to try that in my shade bed...how much sun does this bed get? Morning sun? That is fabulous! Glad you decided to join us with your morning coffee!:)
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

May 8, 2004
11:24 PM

Post #863652

It gets early morning and late evening sun with moving shafts of light thru the leaves all day - this shade allows me plants that mightn't take the heat otherwise. The pink soapwort [sapponaria ocymoides] could be referred to as invasive if I didn't love it everywhere it turns up. In other parts of the garden, by the cellar door - you get it. Still easily removed.
My guess is the veronica and soapwort would both live in either Iowa or Georgia.
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2004
2:27 AM

Post #863839

Thanks blooms! That picture was so pretty I've just got to try it...In my shady area I have wild black cherry trees and hackberry, which both leaf out late...I'm thinking since these plants bloom early in the season that they will have enough light. I'll keep you posted! (C: Bev
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

May 9, 2004
4:38 AM

Post #863973

They do honor spring as the tree is just starting to leaf out and if I get around to giving them a haircut trimming they'll rebound for fall's lower light that gets under a bit. The blue veronica doesn't seem to respond the same. And it gets floppy so sometimes I whack it a bit too. Love hackberry.

They've basically eaten the space that was the iris - gotta get the moved. Here's another shot. Love the compliments. Sometimes I look out my door and think 'I did that' Then I look where they are and remember I didn't plant them where some of them are, just let 'em go.

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 9, 2004
7:55 PM

Post #864529

When something is that pretty it's nice that they can just take over an area...Mother natures great isn't she? Especially with alittle help from her gardening friends!
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 12, 2004
3:10 AM

Post #867098

lovely photos! Does that pink soapwort handle dry shade? I think it is absolutely lovely!
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

May 12, 2004
3:28 AM

Post #867123

lily - yeah, it's dry shade. The two cottonwoods this border is under have their fibrous thirsty hair-like feeder roots so matted underneath my plantings that when I dig a new hole I have to crumble them out of the dirt. Anything I plant there has to be strong enough to fight for its life.
Most books seem to assume that tree shade is damp. Not in this case. Of course this land is dry anyway. It is desert.
llilyfan
South Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2004
4:04 AM

Post #868535

Blooms

Oh I'm so happy to hear that! My shade garden is under the neighbors 3 black maples and they pretty much keep the soil dry and I know what you mean about the mat of feeder roots! Looks like I'm going to go find me some soapwort. Yea!!!
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2004
1:44 PM

Post #868840

I wonder if it wouldn't be easier to just sprinkle some seed around the base of the trees? I'm assuming that the soapwart reseeds...so wouldn't this be the time to put out some seed? Just wondering and trying to figure out an easier way to do it than to fight the tree roots...LOL guess I'm a lazy gardener!:))))) Bev
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 13, 2004
2:25 PM

Post #868890

I don't blame ya there Bev, I'm a lazy seed sower too. Almost all the seeds I planted out in flats, died or didn't germinate. I look forward to seeds that say self sowing, means I can throw em out and let em grow. Only problem with that is, I forget what they are. hehehe

:^)
Molly
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 13, 2004
3:02 PM

Post #868927

forget WHAT they are and WHERE you planted them!!!LOL thats happened to me too! :))))
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

May 13, 2004
5:17 PM

Post #869051

The soapwort's obviously a self seeder as it has appeared here and there in the border it's planted in and across the patio space to the garden on the other side.
I admit to enouraging nearly everyone of them. They are not prolific self-seeders but if you had seed that would be perfect. Put in a scattered six pack, a pack of seeds and water.

Each plant covers a nice foot circle the first year and a 2ft one the next. If I get around to really giving them haircuts I'll post a pic to show how much one covers with it's long flowering stems.
Doris
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2004
5:56 PM

Post #888263

This is a shot of the back side of my shade garden. I call it my "river bed".

DEA~ Notice the Astilbe in the background!

Thumbnail by Doris

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2004
6:42 PM

Post #888577

Ahhhhh, don't cha just love the coolness of the shade!

Thumbnail by IowaAnn

Doris
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2004
6:50 PM

Post #888584

Working in the shade is a pleasure too! I don't think I could stand the hot sun after working in 72 degrees all day!
Here's my mole/vole hunter with some old Antioch Hosta.

Thumbnail by Doris

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2004
2:29 AM

Post #893169

newly extended shade bed...worked on it for what seems like forever and i'm still working on it! whew!

Thumbnail by IowaAnn

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2004
2:34 AM

Post #893178

Doris, I wish I had your mole/vole catcher! I wonder if she could catch striped chickmonks! LOL! Thats the pest I have in the garden...They are cute but also distructive! ( : Bev : )
Doris
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 2, 2004
3:11 AM

Post #893233

She does catch chipmonks, too!

I found one active tunnel over the weekend. Looks like Isabelle is going to have to go on overtime!

Your extended bed is beautiful. What is the blooming plant along the front?
Doris
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2004
3:29 AM

Post #893257

Doris, the plants along the path are violets...I just couldn't resist them in the early spring...You know what I mean? Ya gotta plant something...anything to get out of the winter blahs..LOL ( : Bev : )

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2004
4:12 AM

Post #893302

I just found this forum,all the pictures are so nice,I have always grown tropicals in full sun,so I am new to shade,I will take a picture tomorrow.
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2004
1:46 PM

Post #893730

Welcome to the shade garden forum root! Glad you found us and can't wait to see your pictures! ( : bev : )

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2004
2:09 PM

Post #893749

Just snapped this one.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 2, 2004
8:27 PM

Post #894152

Hey! I thought you said you were new at shade gardening! LOL!!! : ) That's lovely! What is the plant on the mid left of the picture? leaves are straps and have a pattern of a snake?

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2004
7:44 AM

Post #894808

Zebra Bromaliad,my first year with it.I like this shade thing,much cooler in the heat!
springlover
Franklin, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2004
10:44 AM

Post #894842

Primrose #2

Thumbnail by springlover

springlover
Franklin, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2004
10:50 AM

Post #894844

Hummm, sorry 'bout that...first post didn't go I guess...lost somewhere out in cyberspace.
Anyway, I've had Primrose blooming since February here in Michigan, even under the snow. Much more color than Crocus and seems to tolerate the warmer temps since it's now June!
We've had 8 1/2" of rain in May and they are still great. Seems they like lots of water and they live on the West side of the house with dappled sun in the afternoon. There is a summer blooming Primrose but didn't write down the name when I saw it at the nursery. When I return, I'll do that for you guys.
Enjoy!

Thumbnail by springlover

springlover
Franklin, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2004
10:58 AM

Post #894850

Here is my contribution to the Forget-Me-Not folks out there. They are bienniel, but I have them every year. Now that they are about done and going to seed, I move the mulch out of the way and let them reseed. They are not invasive if you have them corraled. LOL Love them so much, I planted a mass planting of pink in the west side bed!
Hope this helps!
Oh, this was 2 weeks ago...

Thumbnail by springlover

pins2006
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2004
1:06 PM

Post #894941

How beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing.

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2004
10:40 AM

Post #897428

Root..your rocks sure add a wonderful touch to your garden..good job!

Springlover..here is a new primrose to me this year ..called Drumstick Primrose.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2004 6:41 AM

Thumbnail by Starzz

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2004
5:00 PM

Post #897864

Thanks Starrz,I love that Primrose,I have not seen one before.
springlover
Franklin, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2004
8:55 PM

Post #898053

I haven't seen one either! Is it round like an Allium? Would kill for your statuary!
Nice pic, thanks for sharing!

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2004
6:12 AM

Post #898687

Okay! At the start of this thread,it said Lets play!!!

Here is about 2 in the afternoon!

Raindelay!!!
I have the bed on the side of the drive tarped,this is a bed I have been waiting to do for a few years,this is my Neighbor Sam,he was doing Concrete work,we thought the rain would not last,so I setup the temperary pavilion on the deck and we got the grill going trying to wait it out.
This bed is going to be 1/2 Sun/Shade,I have a good clue on what to do in the sun,so you all will have quite a few questions on what to do with the shade.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2004
9:25 PM

Post #899357

Some of the things that I grow in the shade others grow in the sun, around here there's few plants that wouldn't benefit from a bit of filtered shade. here's my Patridge Feather in bloom today - before the flower stalks come on it's a really hug the ground plant.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2004 3:29 PM

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

June 6, 2004
9:35 PM

Post #899370

No rain here, Roots, just lots of sun - thank heaven for the tree shade. Here's a closer look. They're as soft as they look. The purple in the first pic is my Munstead Lavender.

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2004
9:45 PM

Post #899375

I love it!! It looks so soft!
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2004
12:20 PM

Post #899985

Blooms! I've never heard of partridge feather before! Is it an annual? I absolutely love it! Give us more information on it...soon we will be scouring the nurseries searching for it! LOL ( : Bev : )

root...I'd love to come and play in your backyard! Looks great!
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2004
3:45 PM

Post #900264

anahi, it's in the database.

It's Tanacetum densum v. amanum aka Partridge Feather. lookie, lookee, my plant pic made the database

It's a perennial. I've had it for twelve years and it has spread slowly to cover a 3'by5' area. We run temps from 0* to 115*. It lives happily with the watering I give it - If you live where God does the watering it should indeed be happy. on a personal basis I'd say it was xeriscape material. It fights with the roots of the cottonwood for its moisture and seems totally impervious to the heat of the day.
Doris
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2004
3:19 AM

Post #902546

Took some more shots in the garden yesterday. Here's a center front view.

Thumbnail by Doris

Doris
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2004
3:28 AM

Post #902569

Another one.

Thumbnail by Doris

Doris
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2004
3:38 AM

Post #902593

Upper end front View.

Thumbnail by Doris

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2004
3:50 AM

Post #902625

Gorgeous!!! Is that Sum and Substance up in the left on the last shot?
What beautiful gardens,so much work,and it is showing!
Root.
Doris
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2004
3:53 AM

Post #902633

Yes it is sum & substance and don't you just love S&S? I do.
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

June 9, 2004
4:03 AM

Post #902648

Love all the stone work you have in your garden. and is s&s the big leafed plant?
Doris
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2004
4:11 AM

Post #902668

Thank you! I have enjoyed building this in my "spare" time. It has been good physical exercise and also good mental therapy.

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2004
5:29 AM

Post #902731

Doris,have you ever seen Iowagals work? She really blew me away,as far as setting block,my bed was work,then I saw hers,Whew!

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2004
5:40 AM

Post #902738

This is Donnas',not a shade garden,but I wanted to show her yard,Dang that girl can do the brick!
http://davesgarden.com/fp.php?pid=525877
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2004
2:16 AM

Post #907631

Hey Root, is that an alligator in your yard??? LOL! How fun!!! You've always got such great ideas!

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2004
2:27 AM

Post #907651

Girl you should stop over,I have Brugs blooming all over,looks like we are going to get hit with a storm in the next few.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2004
2:43 AM

Post #907689

I'm watching it here...very windy. They say HEAVY downpours. I brought in everything fragile (mostly the fuchsias) and got some trades dug up about 2 hrs ago when the sky started darkening. Got to hold them now til Monday.
Batten down the hatches, Root!

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2004
1:07 PM

Post #908105

We got pounded,70 mph winds,power out,have not gone out to see what is uprooted yet.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2004
4:42 PM

Post #908292

I lost a tree (a small 2 year maple). The winds were unbelievable and rain was heavy, but because the winds were so high it moved out quickly. Can't imagine what could have happened if it had been larger and overhead longer than it was. Hope you made out ok... BTW our power stayed on but lost the cable a couple of times and the 10pm news programs sure had some fun with their flickering power!

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 15, 2004
12:47 AM

Post #910153

You will have to excuse the leaves in this pic,we had some bad wind.
This is Amorphophalis Konjac about to open,I thought you might like to see it in this stage,I like it this way,you will be able to see it open in front of you,maybe tomorrow.

Thumbnail by rootdoctor

eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2004

Post #912443

"eyes"

Thumbnail by eyesoftexas

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2004
7:40 PM

Post #912479

We had some wild storms here last week also and the wild black cherry trees dropped alot of dead branches into the shade beds...luckily the damage was minimal.

Thumbnail by IowaAnn

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2004
7:43 PM

Post #912486

Eyes,That looks like a Caladium Parade,I love it!

anahi,I love the color of the Astilbe!

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2004
8:24 PM

Post #912538

Our turn today. Spent all morning vacuuming up water in the basement. Window wells flooded when the eaves were swamped with rain. This was the sideways kind! :) Sioux Falls had 6-7 inches and I'm not sure what our total is. Was 3 1/2 inches before the last downpour so my guess is between 4-5. Enough already!! Dummy me didn't bring in my seedlings for the first time and the water was carrying all the dirt away. Just finished repotting everything and looks like I only lost one hosta. It was really tiny and probably joined the dirt flowing out of the pots! Some tomatoes, that should be in the ground, grrrr, had no dirt left at all - wonder how much this'll set them back... Soon as the sun comes out, we'll be hauling DS's carpet out to dry on the grass. Hopefully that'll be *real* soon!
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2004
1:10 AM

Post #912842

Ok...this is a work in progress, but I'm really excited about what it will look like next year!! In fact, I'm worried I've got a bit too much crammed in there, but figure I'll divide, move, share, etc if that's the case. I was wanting to fill it in as much as possible.

This was taken April 12th - Day 1 of construction.

Thumbnail by langbr

langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2004
1:11 AM

Post #912844

April 15th - border in place and starting to fill in top soil and peat.

Thumbnail by langbr

langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2004
1:12 AM

Post #912846

May 7th - filling in with some transplants from other beds in my gardens and some purchases at Powell Garden's annual plant sale.

(corrected date of pic)

This message was edited Jun 16, 2004 8:13 PM

Thumbnail by langbr

langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2004
1:14 AM

Post #912848

May 9th - a bit more goes in the ground.

Thumbnail by langbr

langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2004
1:15 AM

Post #912852

June 11th - pretty much have everything in there I wanted, but will likely add a few more things depending on what makes it and what doesn't.

Thumbnail by langbr

langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2004
1:16 AM

Post #912853

Also June 11th - different angle

Thumbnail by langbr

langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2004
1:18 AM

Post #912857

Today, June 16th

Thumbnail by langbr

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2004
1:33 AM

Post #912876

Lookin Great! You have been a busy camper!
Give me a heads up next year on the Powell Plant sale,I would love to hit that one!
Keep the Ligularia moist,you will love it.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2004
1:37 AM

Post #912887

I sure will Root! I think it's pretty much the first weekend in May which collides with our subdivision garage sale. We went on Sunday this year and ended up leaving after 1-1/2 hrs because it was pouring cats & dogs and it was a mud slide under the big tents they set up for the sale. I still hung in there and got some of the things I was looking for, but never made it to the gardens!!! And I've never been there before or since, so next year it better be nice weather and I'm going on Saturday!

As far as the drive goes it wasn't much further than Tracy's house was last year. I'll give you a holler in mid-April next year!

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2004
1:40 AM

Post #912890

Great,I really love Powell,we can meet somewhere.

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2004
12:53 PM

Post #914778

My Hosta garden

Thumbnail by Starzz

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2004
1:06 PM

Post #914793

Close-up of Brise D'Anjou Jacob's Ladder, in the Hosta Garden.

Thumbnail by Starzz

langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2004
2:25 PM

Post #914879

Starzz - I just love that Jacob's Ladder foliage!

(edited for spelling - that's twice in a few minutes!)

This message was edited Jun 18, 2004 9:45 AM

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2004
2:42 PM

Post #914911

So do I,I have to try one sometime,very striking!

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 18, 2004
3:49 PM

Post #914986

Here's a couple of my favourites!

Thumbnail by kooger

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2004
4:24 PM

Post #915016

I just filled in an empty space in my newest under the edge of the tree shade garden. During the part of the year that the sun is overhead the trees shade this space. In spring and fall it gets the southern sun. This is before the additions

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2004
4:31 PM

Post #915024

This is a shot of all the additions in this really rather small space. I used the water beads and everything is planted along a seep hose. THis is a new bed just last year and still when I dug to place the new plants I hit LOTS of tree feeder roots. they're quick to chase the wter.

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2004
4:38 PM

Post #915032

I posted some closeups of these in Perennials forum in langbr's thread part II - I keep trying to get a decent pic of the whole garden.
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2004
2:18 PM

Post #937008

Kooger...looks like we have the same favorites! Heres a few of mine.

Thumbnail by IowaAnn

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2004
2:23 PM

Post #937020

bloodroot leaves with hosta leaves the morning after a rain...it was a beautiful site!

Thumbnail by IowaAnn

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2004
2:28 PM

Post #937027

and a new obsession...the maidenhair fern!

Thumbnail by IowaAnn

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2004
3:11 PM

Post #937089

Beautiful pix, Bev. What color is your fernleaf dicentra? I have pink - and have seeds from it ready to trade... My heuchera is palace purple - do you have it? love to trade for yours!

I've never seen bloodroot in a garden. That is neat! We used to walk in the woods when we were kids and pick bloodroot and hepatica and have contests over finding trilliums - altho we never picked them 'cause mom said we weren't allowed to. We'd go to jail for x number of years, etc. It worked! Never picked 'em! lol The red trilliums were especially hard to find!

The maidenhair is lovely - how large will it get?
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 4, 2004
3:39 PM

Post #937127

Laura, the color of my dicentra is also pink...and the heuchera is called plum pudding. Plum pudding has always been my favorite for color and size...but this year a new one came out called obsideon (? spelling?) and I love it! ( should have named it obsession because heuceras have become just one more obsession for me! LOL!) I'll post a picture of it later. The bloodroot came from the Iowa roundup...I think your mom was right...you shouldn't pick the wildflowers! Just enjoy them in the wild and let them reseed. These were going to be plowed under because of road construction and were saved by a kind gardener who shared them at the round up.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 4, 2004
3:51 PM

Post #937143

I walked thru one GH last month looking for a gold hosta and couldn't believe how many different heuchera they had. So pretty, I like them all! Gonna have to dig up a little more lawn... :)

There were so many plants at the RU that I hardly saw, too many to pick from!!!!!!! It was wonderful! Sure looking forward to next year - (maybe they'll have dirt floors, haha!)
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2004
4:29 PM

Post #937190

DH brought a new camera back from Taiwan this week, so I have new views of my front shade garden, just 2 for now:

Thumbnail by MollyMc

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2004
4:31 PM

Post #937192

Here's the second one:

Can you name some of these plants in these 2 pics?

I can name some, but not all, I'm sure.

:^))))
Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2004
5:27 PM

Post #937271

MollyMc - I'll come back to your challenge later this eve. Am off to family gathering and then there'll be the fireworks...
Meanwhile here's a pic of the edge of my shade garden. Beyond this lies only sand and sunflowers and globe mallow.

MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2004
2:55 AM

Post #979100

Blooms, that looks like a nice peaceful place to rest at the end of a long hard day.

Mine is so chock full of things, and new surprises popping up everyday, I can't sit still in mine. Always seeing, jumping up, What's that, who put that there? Where'd you come from? Aren't you a good baby giving me a bloom.
(I talk to them all the time)

I mulched yesterday so they look neater than the day before (this pic from 7/29). I have been picking up new plants, ferns, EE, and coleus, to tuck in between the caladiums since they will go dormant in the fall. Just think, by spring when the caladiums come back, all the rest of the foliage would be filled in and I won't have to mulch anymore. (I hope)

:^)))
Molly

Thumbnail by MollyMc

rootdoctor

rootdoctor
Harrisville, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 1, 2004
6:43 AM

Post #979347

Molly,Ya gotta come kick back with me,is that an Al Z. I see peeking up?
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 1, 2004
11:52 AM

Post #979440

Yep Root, it sure is. It's doing very nicely and I'm so pleased.
I have a bunch of "regular" EE's that hitchhiked in with the soil, but the Z and all the ee's I got from our garden friends here are very special.

And, they all seem to like me!

:^)))
Molly

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 14, 2004
4:11 PM

Post #1002151

This is a new area for me . Still hacking it out of the woods in the front/side yard. I envision great things to come ... LOL . Don't we all ?

Thumbnail by scooterbug

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2004

Post #1002183

Scooter, great start, love the big leaves... They look so right in a shady garden..
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2004
12:43 AM

Post #1002615

Thank You Blooms , There is more , in a haphazard 3 sided configuration but the corner is the best so far. I have to deal with large above ground roots. It's hard to find a pocket that will give hostas and such enough soil to grow . Just have to watch them closely and move plants to a new spot if needed . Will add a nice layer of mushroom compost , alfalfa and leaves this winter. Slowly but surely I'll get there =)

I just found this pixie at Big Lots today, he is almost 2 ft long . Perfect to lay under short shady plants, no? I will find a more secluded place for him . I like my garden to be so you have to walk around in order to find 'stuff'

Thumbnail by scooterbug

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

August 15, 2004
4:09 AM

Post #1002797

Me too, I've got several tucked here and there. This little lady came to live here under the Colorado Juniper with the vinca.

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 15, 2004
4:36 AM

Post #1002814

Aww Blooms , She is adorable . I love fairies, sprites , pixies and so on .
She is so cute =)
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2004
1:36 AM

Post #1003962

They make a lovely couple don't they? LOL
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2004
10:17 PM

Post #1022491

Some of my shade gardens.
Terrie

Thumbnail by trunnels

trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2004
10:25 PM

Post #1022505

And another.

Thumbnail by trunnels

trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2004
10:26 PM

Post #1022507

This is morning shade.

Thumbnail by trunnels

trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 27, 2004
10:26 PM

Post #1022509

And this is my newest shade bed.

Thumbnail by trunnels

scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2004
3:22 AM

Post #1024283

I just love this plant =)

This morning there was a big ol' hornet drinking from the water collected in the 'pocket' . He flew off before I got the picture ;'(

Thumbnail by scooterbug

trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2004
4:06 AM

Post #1024341

Scotterbug, what is that plant? Very pretty and unusual! Sitting amongst brugs?
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2004
4:31 AM

Post #1024368

t,
It is a Mickey Mouse Taro,

aka ... Mouse Cup, Pocket Plant, Yautia Amarilla (Xanthosoma atrovirens)

Sorry, I forgot to post the name of the plant.
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2004
4:36 AM

Post #1024373

Okay, I'm gonna have to look that one up!
BethG_58
Homosassa, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2004
7:52 PM

Post #1030287

Here's a couple of shots of just one of my shade gardens (lol...with all the towering slash pines, as well as the numerous palms & oaks, most of our property is one large shade garden!).

The shade in this one is provided courtesy of three Sabal Palms (which make a great border for the garden, as well as a lovely Live Oak which lives just to the east of this garden.

I love the 'tropical look' of this area

The first pic shows the dappled sunlight that it receives during the day

Thumbnail by BethG_58

BethG_58
Homosassa, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2004
7:56 PM

Post #1030293

This is a closer-up shot of the south end of what I call my 'Palms Shade Garden'

Thumbnail by BethG_58

BethG_58
Homosassa, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2004
8:02 PM

Post #1030298

And this is the northern end of the Palms Shade Garden.

Thumbnail by BethG_58

trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2004
8:03 PM

Post #1030301

Beautiful shade gardens, Beth!
BethG_58
Homosassa, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2004
8:40 PM

Post #1030352

I love all the pics of these shade gardens!!

Molly,
I snagged one of the pics of your yard (see below); what is that lovely plant with the curly leaves? Is it a begonia?

Beth

Thumbnail by BethG_58

BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2004
8:49 PM

Post #1030364

That photo of the south end of your Palm shade garden looks like a water color painting. So lovely and inviting and cool looking. pretty posting.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2004
1:04 AM

Post #1032331

Beth,

I believe that the plant is a begonia. Possibly an angel wing or dragons wing. I am so not sure. Tomorrow I will be going back over to the old house digging plants and I will check that one. Maybe there is still a plant marker on it. It is one I wanted to bring with me to my new house, but with the hurricane coming I had to be selective about what I had time to dig.

Will check and let you know.

Molly
:^))
trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 3, 2004
3:10 AM

Post #1032500

Hi Molly. I don't know what kind of begonia that is that Beth is asking about but I'm sure it is not a dragons wing. That's dragons wing in my post on the 27th at 5:25. When you find out, I would like to know, too!
Terrie
abbyday
Stamford, CT

May 16, 2008
12:20 AM

Post #4957160

This garden is about three years old. I love working with foliage...

Thumbnail by abbyday

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2008
12:53 AM

Post #4957348

This is the shadiest part of our yard... Also my favorite part of the yard... All your pictures are just georgeous!!!! This part of the yard is filling really nicely and I love it!!!!

Thumbnail by gardenlady123

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 16, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #4957362

My favorite spring combinations!!!

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2008
4:56 AM

Post #4986654

I can't believe I missed this thread! Loved looking at everyone's shade gardens.

Here's a shot from my shady spot on our east foundation right near our front porch. Bleeding heart, of course, with vinca minor and polemonium 'Purple Rain' (which I just love!) in the background.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2008
4:58 AM

Post #4986658

Polemonium 'Purple Rain' in bloom. One of my favorites! It's been blooming for weeks and still looks great.

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

dragonfly62

dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2008
7:51 PM

Post #4989196

Everyone! Your shade gardens are beautiful. Starzz I love your hosta garden. Wish I had a throne like that in mine LOL. Tunnels that yellow colius is to die for!!!! Here is my shade garden in progress. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62

trunnels
Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 23, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #4993339

Thanks, Bev. It's good to see this thread revived! I just went back through it and realized those pictures are from FOUR years ago. :-) How time flies when you're having fun!
GardnGator
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2008
7:40 PM

Post #5016323

Sorry I'm late to the party! My yard is 75% shade, so I'm always eager to add to my plants. My best performers are woodland phlox in early spring, rainlilies in May and mistflower (wild ageratum) in fall. This view is my north-facing front yard in May 2007.

Thumbnail by GardnGator

GardnGator
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #5016365

Oh, I forgot to show my back garden, which has more sun except under my 4-trunked dogwood. Mostly ferns, but some hosta, hellebores, ginger, agapanthus and African lily. Violets also do well, and in spring the blue-eyed grass among my stepping stones looks like you're walking among stars.

Thumbnail by GardnGator

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 28, 2008
8:04 PM

Post #5016404

GardnGator - So pretty, and so natural-looking! Lovely woodland garden, trees, lake...heaven! I'm envious. :)
staceysmom
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 29, 2008
4:41 AM

Post #5018952

Wow, some beautiful gardens here. Very nice!

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2008
11:02 PM

Post #5032494

This little corner is quickly becoming one of my favorite spots in the yard!!!! My goats Beard is going to be so beautiful this year, I have two and love them... The oakleaf hydrangea is starting to get the buds on them!!!! The cherry belles??? Are going like gang busters and spreading all over I really like those flowers also.. The brunnera is just getting done with the blue flowers on it. Of course not to mention my fave hostas are the honey belles.. I have several from only two plants divide and enjoy!!!! :) Ronna

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2008
11:05 PM

Post #5032503

Shot from other side... We had a little larger pond in here and I wanted it gone... Have enough to do with all the flowers now its much more manageable. So Im filling in the gaps. Darn more room for flowers... Dratits. Ronna

NEflwrpwr
Voorheesville, NY

June 1, 2008
2:08 AM

Post #5033309

Here's one of my earlier photos. My gardens are more plush now. I'll take more pictures to show and see the diff. We've had bad storms all night.

I have one "Love Pat" hosta - first right and then two carnival hostas
One Joe Pye
One red baneberry
Spreading Globeflower
One white baneberry
Another Joe Pye
Kirengeshoma Koreana

This is the second year for all my plants. This area was covered with 2' of grass. The wall shades the area and only the tops of the taller plants get sun. I still need to week once a week to get the baby crabgrasses.

Thumbnail by NEflwrpwr

NEflwrpwr
Voorheesville, NY

June 1, 2008
2:10 AM

Post #5033316

more...

Thumbnail by NEflwrpwr

NEflwrpwr
Voorheesville, NY

June 1, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #5033413

Gardenlady,

I asked about your small water feature in another forum. I'd like to put a few around my yard. How do you get the waterfall to go over the rock, and not out the sides. I get the container, but often wondered about the falls. I'm not sure what to buy or how to set it up.
jdalfred
South Rockwood, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2008
12:01 AM

Post #5042974

This is only my second summer in this house, I'm adding a little at a time

Thumbnail by jdalfred

jdalfred
South Rockwood, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2008
12:03 AM

Post #5042995

more

Thumbnail by jdalfred

jdalfred
South Rockwood, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2008
12:04 AM

Post #5043001

one more

Thumbnail by jdalfred

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 3, 2008
12:25 AM

Post #5043135

Very pretty, jd! And I love that wooden morel mushroom.
jdalfred
South Rockwood, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 3, 2008
12:28 AM

Post #5043155

That's the only morel I found this year lol. I didn't really go looking this year like I used to. My son did find a couple while fishing by the river, here's a pic of his loot:)

Thumbnail by jdalfred

jdalfred
South Rockwood, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2008
10:05 PM

Post #5053971

I have visitors:)

Thumbnail by jdalfred

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #5055850

Aw, cute! I just saw a couple of toads hopping around when I visited the nursery today. I wish I'd see some in my garden.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2008 11:18 AM
jdalfred
South Rockwood, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #5057422

this toad was fatter than the ones I've been seeing, maybe it's knocked up?? I assume they lay eggs like frogs, but where???? My husband almost ran one over the other day tilling the garden, but I saved him and relocated him to the front yard:)
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

June 9, 2008
4:43 PM

Post #5077099

How cute! Even cuter when you realize they eat slugs! : )

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 10, 2008
9:56 PM

Post #5084222

Any slug eater is a good thing!!!
digging_dirt
comebychance, NL
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2008
4:33 PM

Post #5554659

i cant belivethe size of this peony

Thumbnail by digging_dirt

robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 15, 2008

Post #5554688

How pretty! I wish I could grow peonies!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Shady Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dogwood Shrubs (flowering) Goldengirl 18 May 19, 2008 11:50 PM
info on shade-loving vine? Horseshoe 29 Oct 2, 2007 6:30 AM
Just a little shady corner. CountryGardens 7 Jul 22, 2009 8:17 PM
Problem area-wet shade, Please help Shadyfolks 52 Sep 13, 2008 3:04 PM
Little project grewwwwwwwwww! MsMaati 116 Feb 24, 2014 5:52 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America