Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Brugmansias: now for some care tips

Communities > Forums > Brugmansias
bookmark
Forum: BrugmansiasReplies: 18, Views: 279
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2001
6:49 PM

Post #5920

How often to feed, in ground and not. How wet, do I stake, gimme gimme, info, I need info if I'm going to get a ribbon!!!!!!!!! LOL!!
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2001
3:14 AM

Post #80233

actually k_ht, what I want is just one (okay, lots) of those lovely blooms! I'll feed her in the morning, and put them on my schedule.
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

June 5, 2001
5:49 AM

Post #80259

K 'HT How old are your babies? The big ones in the driveway?
Just trying to get an idea of growth rate and space requirements for thes babies!
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

June 5, 2001
10:45 AM

Post #80276

i think zones/conditions must play a role in this. KHT, i am having a heck of a time imagining staking a brug. my first babies were about 8 inches tall with 3 roots each and within 3 months both were 3 1/2 to a little over 4 feet tall and blooming like crazy.
tig, they will definitely get bigger in the ground unless you use a 20 gallon or so pot. take cuttings when they predict the first frost, stick in water until they start rooting, then move to pots so you will have babies if they don't come back. the kind i had were able to take a light frost.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2001
10:54 AM

Post #80278

I just started a bunch of datura seeds too, do I need to stake them? I know it's late, but just got them, and hope to see at least one flower on each. I promise next year I'll get started inside:)
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2001
2:32 PM

Post #80345

I was just given a 3ft cutting with roots over the weekend. It's a Brug flava. I was told that the original plant has never bloomed. The cutting was sitting in a bucket of water for the last 6 months where it grew roots. Great big, hairy leaves. What can I do to entice this thing to bloom? It's an unusual variety so I'm babying it even more than my others.
Anyone know about this one?
Thanks - Liz
JJsgarden
Northern Piedmont, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 5, 2001
2:53 PM

Post #80357

tiG, I had to stake my brug and datura seedlings..as the leaves grew they became sorta 'top heavy'. (Chopsticks/pipe cleaner worked great for me).

Liz, here is a tad of info on your flava.

http://www.geocities.com/lisarts/Summer_Scent_L/BrugIDx.html

Jean
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

June 5, 2001
4:14 PM

Post #80396

KHT, that is too funny, i can see you being on 24 hour phone duty for free for the nurseries up there!! my first cuttings were from thick cuttings, guess that is why i missed staking, just started a few seeds last week, fingers crossed. i am excited that my first two are about the size they were when the first frost came early last year. i have 12 in the ground, 3 ready to go in the ground, 16 new mail order "sticks" rooting, and about 6 babies i have taken cuttings from this year, plus the 3 surprise ones that came out when i pulled out the main root ball and replanted the pot thinking it wasn't coming back from winter. KHT, i think i share your passion...hoping for a mildly winter this year, last one was the worst in almost 40 years...and i can see the first hurricane, my kids will freak as i fuss about the plants and not the other stuff.
CoCo

June 6, 2001
2:12 PM

Post #80730

A new one at this Brug and Datura growing. May I ask a question,please. Someone had sent me some small plants of the Brug and Datura's and are doing really good. Have them in pots but now I have a problem...there is something eating the leaves on mine. What do I do.? Need advise quick. I did see alittle black looking worm with white strips on one. Need help quick before they disappear on me. Don't know if I even posted this on the right forum. What do I do and what can I put on them to keep the bugs away? Please e-mail me or post here ASAP...please.
Thanks I really don't know much about them except they are sure pretty and different around here.
dave

June 6, 2001
2:20 PM

Post #80735

I had some bugs on my Datura plants, and they were eating holes out of the leaves and the flowers. :-(

I sprayed the plants with Sevin (chemical) and have not had a single bug problem on these plants since.

Dave
CoCo

June 6, 2001
3:21 PM

Post #80768

Thanks David
Now can I buy that Sevin at Home Depot or someplace like that? If not where?
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

June 6, 2001
3:57 PM

Post #80792

coco, if it is catepillars you can just pick them off. i had the hummingbird moth catepillars (ugly green) completely eat a whole 3 foot plus datura last summer, including buds. when they got half way through the other i got ansy and starting throwing the cats in the woods and mashing them. But the plants grew back and you would have never known a bite was missing a few weeks later, back in full bloom. now if it a bug that doesn't turn into a flying flower i will mash it in a heart beat, half a little spray bottle for leaf eating beetles.
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 6, 2001
4:36 PM

Post #80807

Systemic pesticide works really well with brugs too. I've also used Volck Oil Spray to keep spider mites at bay (you mix it up and spray it on) Worked really well too, but has to be re applied about every month or so. And don't forget the bloom booster fertilizer...they're heavy feeders. I've also talked to people who've had yellow leaves with no apparent cause, and a dose of ironite took care of it in a week or two. It's called Iron Green at our hardware store...made by Ortho I think...the Volck Oil Spray is made by Ortho too. Good luck!!
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2001
3:05 AM

Post #80980

Keep in mind that they're related to tomatoes. If it eats your tomatoes, it'll eat your brugs.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

June 11, 2001
5:21 PM

Post #82282

Good to see so much enthusiasm about my favorite Genus in here. I just love the Brugmasia myself and prefer to just grow a few nice named hybrids and grow the rest from seeds I crossed myself. Seedlings are so variable and much more fun. Seedlings typically grow much faster and taller than the cuttings one recieves. I find that if you can stick a seedling in the soil for 7-9months it will flower in its first year. If one can not do this, growing a seedling in a small seed tray or in a pot as large as 5 gallons over the winter and then placing it in the soil you can still get flowers in its first year if you started them in the winter or fall. A heated Greenhouse is best for seedlings though if you are going to start them in the winter. I have grown Brugmansia in 120 degree weather and had no problems with any of them except for the sanguinea which only reacted negatively after I sprayed it with a systemic, moving it into the shade made it spruce back up and after the systemic was out of its system it was back in the green house doing fine. I would much rather have 100 fresh seeds of a known cross than 1 single nice hybrid if I knew what the cross was and it was a cross I was interested in personally. I am one who wants the seeds more than the actuall plant itself. Each new seedling flower is so much more interesting than the last and each new one becomes my favorite. Brugmansia are very good for hybridizing as you can blend traits from 3 different species and blend colors as well if that suits you. Of course, if the hybrid is not intensely fragrant and a fast grower it is only valueable to me as a pollen donor if it has a trait I am going after. I personally can't stand Datura and detest them by the way. Definitly not my cup of tea. Unless of course one is talking about the Brugmansia "Datura Knightii" which is a wonderful double to hybridize with even though it is just a white.
Just a Brugmansia lovers ramblings,
Brugmansia

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America