Hardy Farm Breakfast

Valley Head, WV(Zone 5a)

Remember those big farm breakfasts from Grandma's house? What is your favorite breakfast? We won't look at the cholestrol count so go ahead and tell!

My hubby grew up with eggs, scrapple, and grits and it's still his favorite.

Mine is scrambled eggs (from our chickens) topped with Salsa (from our gardens) with asaparagus (one day my baby asparagus plants will provide enough for all winter) and toast from homemade bread.

Getting hungry thinking about it!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Good morning Momk, you are making me hungry. My favorite is eggs, bacon, grits and pancakes. When strawberries are ripe in the garden I love to top them on my pancakes with a dolop of whip creme! Yum! And a big ole cup of joe! Bye, Lisa

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Fried Jowl -- you guys know the thick bacon with the rind, not sure why I feel like I have to explain this to farm folks--, eggs (farm fresh from free range hens of course) over easy, lightly browned toast(from homemade bread like Leaflady makes) with real butter, Hot coffee -- filled with caffeine but no other toxins such as cream or sugar just hot black and leaded. Served up with family or friends and good conversation on a day when no one has to hurry off to other commitments.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

We eat a lot of homegrown fried potatoes with onions, sausage of different kinds, home made bread toasted with homemade jam. Kathy Jo, we never have eaten/never have even seen hog jowls. I think they are a midwest/southern thing. Not many folks out of the corn belt raise hogs so it isn't the same all over. We are in cattle ranching country.

Our favorite is my folks' homemade smoked sausage with milk gravy over baking powder biscuits. Add home-grown fried potatoes with onions and garlic. Maybe some eggs thrown in for good measure.

Second choice for my husband is pan fried trout, hashbrowns and eggs over easy at Trout Lodge. He says they make the BEST fried trout - no rivals. Can't figure out how they manage to de-bone these guys, leave the head on & present the whole fish.

Lyndeborough, NH

Geez a bunch of light eaters

Fruit
Oatmeal or cream of wheat or etc
3 or 4 home grown eggs
ham or bacon or sausage, sometimes steak
hash browns or other potato.
Homemade bread (or rolls or biskets and honey) and homemade butter

Apple pie, cheese and ice cream for desert, with home made maple syrup.

So like a lot? Milk, feed and clean up after 48 cows, a bull and some calves, before breakfast.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Byron, that sure sounds like a lot of food! (and sounds delish!) (If I ate all that I'd feel as fat as a tick on a hemophiliac!) On the rare occasion around here that I fix breakfast it's usually some of everybody's above, eggs, thick bacon or link sausage, grits w/lots of butter and pepper, (and yes, MaK, I LOVE salsa on eggs too!), and wheat toast with strawberry jam on it! My granny used to put the jam on with only one strawberry in the middle and "taught" me how to eat the toast in a circle around the edges then eat the strawberry on the very last bite! Told me it wa s'posed to put more flavor in the berry. Looking back I reckon maybe it was cuz we were getting low on strawberry jam!

Pineville, LA(Zone 8b)

Hi, all:

Homemade biscuits, light and fluffy with fried eggs topped with hot homemade grits and butter. Louisiana cane syrup mixed with butter to sop with the biscuits. Thick sliced and crunchy fried bacon, and white gravy.

Now, dat's good eatin'.

Grits

southeast, NE

After reading the above posts, my bowl of raisin bran this a.m. just doesn't seem to cut it. But my cholesterol count dictates what I eat for breakfast. On weekends I fix dh bacon or sausage and eggs. My favorite is a an omelette filled with onions, peppers, cheese and covered with salsa. I do love my coffee straight up with no extras. I grew up on a hog farm. When my parents butchered, they made "breakfast sausage" (head sausage). They added a little barley to soak up the fat. Mom fried it and we put syrup on it. I haven't had that for years.

Lyndeborough, NH

Horseshoe

If you did the work before breakfast, You would not get fat. A promise.

A larger shirt size for shoulders and neck, but not for the belly

Byron

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh this has made me hungry and it's past midnight!! :-)

Hailing from the south myself (I'm just stuck in Jersey at the present time), one of our favorite breakfasts contains, scrambled fresh eggs with sausage (or bacon) milk gravy, over buttermilk biscuits, with fresh jelly (our favs are pomegranate, currant and boysenberry), smoked bacon, ham or sausage, potatoes fried in butter, good hot coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice and of course, GRITS! (And with NO sugar like the yankees use!) :-)

Another "lighter" version (usually reserved for company) is strawberry crepes......with fresh strawberries sliced in the crepe with sliced bananas, a slathering of sweetened cream cheese that has a smidgen on almond flavoring added to it, all wrapped up and drizzled with hot strawberry jam, topped with fresh whipped cream and sliced almonds. Worth all the work, believe me!

Clark, MO

Here's mine...a fried egg topped with a slice of cheese and bacon with grits poured over the top with butter and salt. Of course, you have to have half a grapefruit, toast, milk and juice...and fresh dandylion jelly! My grandma was the best cook and my family refuses to eat grits...can't figure out why..I love them.

earthworks

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 7b)

You're welcome to come visit me Earthworks - -we'll have lots of good ol' grits just dripping with real butter! :-)

Lyndeborough, NH

Since I eat less now,, No more cows or horses to tend.

Here's an eyeopener for you.

Take a saute pan, add 1 tbsp of oil oil (# Virgins your choice)

Mince 1 clove of garlic.

Dice up a couple habanero's

Cook on real low heat till the garlic starts to brown

Toss this into some scambled eggs.

Byron

Chattahoochee, FL

Gee Whillikers, Byron! 2 habeneros???? What do the locals call you, "Ol' Leatherlips?" ;-)>>>

Not much of a breakfast eater here, but when I do I like:

Scrambled eggs not messed up with anything on top, Bacon fried up nice & crispy, and grits that's been simmerin' for a couple of hours. Top all that with a couple of homemade biscuits with some good cane syrup....MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Batchelor, LA(Zone 8b)

Byron
That sounds more like a paint remover recipe!
Bud

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Scrambled eggs smothered in catsup..Hasbrowns, bacon and buttermilk gravy..If in the mood to cook I love the fried, salted fatback..Being from the south I have to love grits, and I do..LOL..Either olives, pickles or hot peppers, (or all)...on the side..I eat the following condiments with all my meals..Catsup, olives or pickles and hotsauce or hot peppers, mayonnaise on everything (which I am trying to slow down on.) HARD!!.... Usually, I have breakfast food at night..My clock is wound up different, lol... believe me.. I prefer other foods for breakfast.., I love cold spaghetti sandwiches/mayo..
I do live on a farm..

Valley Head, WV(Zone 5a)

Larkie, we eat alot of leftover dinner foods for breakfast too. It's easy, and we enjoy it. I will sometimes have my eggs at night when I don't feel like cooking. Farm fresh eggs are good anytime of day!

Sounds like grits are winning the popularity contest here.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I think one of the best things I learned from my stay in GA was Breakfast! Biscuits and gravy. Left over grits, sliced and lightly browned in butter. Over easy eggs. Really thick sliced bacon. Fresh orange juice. Hot tea in the "winter" or plain ice tea in the summer (never did acquire a taste for "sweet tea" - so obviously, I wasn't born in GA). ...was truly sad to move back to CA and the city... however, 6 years ago, found me & my family a little mom & pop truck stop. MMmmmm! I know it's raised our cholestrol levels, but it sure has made Sunday Mornings tastier (I don't actually cook, so my DH & DChildren really appreciate this. Also, since we have to drive "the big truck" to take us all anywhere, we don't have to worry about taking up two spaces next to someone with a car that has a complete paint job... 4 door Ford F350 - so far has all of its original parts and significant portions of its original paint, so I didn't think it was ready to be listed on the "truck" thread yet...) ...mmm, getting hungry!

Toston, MT(Zone 4a)

Fresh eggs, over easy, fried potatoes, deer steak rolled in flower and fried, homemade biscuits. Gravy made from what was left in the skillet of deer steak with condensed milk and flour topped over the potatoes and homemade jelly or jam on the biscuits. Along with fresh milk from our family cow, and you've got one yummy Montana breakfast!

Ashland, OH(Zone 6a)

You guys are making me miss my chickens! :-(
Think I'm going to have to order some this spring!
By the way....what are grits, exactly? And what's a habanero???

Lyndeborough, NH

Aunty B

Habaneros are the hottest of the hot pepper class.
aka capsicum chinese.

In hot peppers the heat is compared by scoville units.

Just for a very few comparisons

Jalapeno 2,500
Cayanne and Tobasco about 50,000 to 75,000

Thai hot dragons, Charleston Hots, Chiletipins about 100,000

Habanero's
Scotch Bonnets ave around 160,000
Carribean Reds about 375,000
Red Savina about 575,000

Pure Cap 16,000,000.

There are a little over 3,000 varities of hot peppers, all have not been tested and recorded for heat.

Byron

Houston, TX

I am looking for a good home made bread recipe like my grandmother used to make. She did not measure anything I guess from having made it for so long. The white bread had a light brown crust. She was German if that has anything to do with the recipe. I can still smell and taste it with home made butter and jam. For supper we would have home grown potatoes fried in with scrambled eggs with sausage and home made bread. Yum! I am also searching for her coffee cake recipe with cinamon, butter, and sugar streusel topping.

Thanks for any input.

Kennedy, NY(Zone 4a)

Eggs, red-eye gravy, a huge slice of country ham the size of your plate, and a pile of grits the size of Stone Mountain. Lordy, I miss Georgia...

Valley Head, WV(Zone 5a)

Aunty B - what are grits? Do you know what cream of wheat is? think of it made with corn. Then to eat it mix it in with your eggs and breakfast meat of choice. Never never put milk and sugar on it when in the south, unless you like to shock the good ole boys - and gals. Personally, if I eat grits it's going to have milk and sugar :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images