Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Daylilies: Do you ever top dress your lilies? When?

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 89, Views: 1,459
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2004
12:44 PM

Post #803074

I was wondering if anyone uses Osmocote or similar products.
Thanks for your input.
Teresa
Dravencat
Edgewater, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2004
1:01 PM

Post #803094

I will go thru my gardens with a big bottle of osmocote and sprinkle everywhere. I like to do it in the spring and once again in the fall. The soil in my yard was never worked so Im trying to get it up to par with where I think it should be. I also go thru my compost bin and add to the beds from that. As soon as I can find some old horse manure and figure a way to get it home Im gonna get some of that too. HHmmm. We do have a Llamma farm close by, anyone know if thats good ?
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2004
3:29 PM

Post #803210

I have been buying leaf mulch from a college agri program. It looks like black gold. Do you cover your osmocote or scratch it in at all? My soil is heavy clay and really needs amendments!
That is one reason I love daylilies they bloom wherever planted.
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 9, 2004
5:11 PM

Post #803328

Bluegrass425, I've just about given up on amending my heavy clay soil. Now, I'm building raised beds.

I've used leaf mulch (home made), gypsum, cow manure, sand, compost ... you name it, I've tried it. I've even tried 'cover crops' turned under and replanted every couple months for a year. It all helps, but nothing really does the trick.

You are right about the daylilies, tho. It's one thing that will grow and even flourish in clay soil.

In the fall, I cover everything with oak leaves (unshredded), mostly as a weed deterrent. In the spring, they can be shredded and then turned under (in fallow beds). I think the leaves sitting on the ground all winter somehow softens it up a bit, at least the top inch. I don't turn anything under in established perennial beds, I'm sure I'd kill everything in sight if I tried. So, they just get the leaves shredded and left on top.

But, like I said, I'm doing raised beds wherever possible. It's more expensive, but a lot more satisfying.

Cheri'
Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2004
10:20 PM

Post #803805

I've been putting grass clippings & shredded leaves in my beds for years to keep weeds down & protect in the winter. It all works it's way in as I dig around & move stuff. I was out a few minutes ago using mulch to cover up any emerging daylilies. Too early here.
dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 10, 2004
3:14 AM

Post #804140

Don't forget to apply SuperPhosphate to your daylilies now for the most incredible blooms you have ever seen this summer.
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2004
11:30 AM

Post #804315

Where can you buy that product? I am open to anything that brings great blooms!
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2004
1:18 PM

Post #804428

I just keep tilling around mine-what about preen?
heres one of my new beds last yr!

Im going to have to look for some SuperPhosphate too!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2004
1:47 PM

Post #804456

Wow, you are serious about daylilies. Is the whole row the same or different plants? I don't see markers. Is preen a grass killer?
Teresa
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2004
1:51 PM

Post #804462

Preen is a weed preventative, isn't it? It keeps seeds from germinating, right?

I got a bag of WOW, which is the organic equivalent to Preen, I think. I used it last fall, and I need to re-apply it now. So far, it seems to be working ...

'Course, I won't be planting any seeds in those beds ...

Cheri'
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2004
1:56 PM

Post #804468

sneriously serious!!!! They are all different types and logged in a daylily book row by row plant by plant and I did add markers before winter incase some didnt make it Id know where they were suppose to be!!! Thats only the first bed! 8rows at least 25 kinds per row and then theres another bed i started and when i get everything ive ordered(so far) and all my seedlings-I will need bed #3! yes im out of control!! ;)
look see #2bed just past the first bed! see all the land behind it that i can still plant

Not sure what all preen kills and doesnt kill-I got some in an auction box last fall! will have to read the label.

Thumbnail by notmartha

IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2004
4:05 PM

Post #804579

Notmartha, let me know when you open your company and start selling fans! TeeHee! I am so totally impressed! (also just a tad bit jealous!) Oh My gosh! Please post a picture when they are in bloom! I can't even imagine it! How do you have them planted? By color, bloom date, height?
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 10, 2004
5:19 PM

Post #804645

I use the Osmocote. I especially like to use it in my containers - as it has the slow release and tends to fertilize them for the whole season. I've had outstanding results with it, especially with bacopa, impatients, & nasturstiams.

(Oh my goodness, I just previewed this and I spelled "nasturstiams" right the first time! It is going to be a GOOD day! :)
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2004
5:25 PM

Post #804654

Thank you(blushin) I would Luv to have a DL n Iris farm someday SOON!

They arent planted in any order so we shall see together!!!
Promise to post pics-I cant wait to see them myself.
I just stuck them in as I got them. Im new to daylily's and had no idea what I was doing-just tried to keep it all straight and a good journal of where each was! Im forever losing names of plants! cuz im NOTmartha-not organized just luv to grow things!

Now I want some of that superblooming stuff David was talkin about!!!

vic

March 11, 2004
12:16 AM

Post #805048

I top dressed mine today with compost. I read where it should be done twice early in the spring with 5-10-10 but I've not done that.
dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2004
1:10 AM

Post #805088

You can buy Superphosphate at Lowe's or Home Depot or and coop store locally. It will say 0-18-0 on the pkg. 18 being the phosphorus. This is what makes your blooms SUPERSIZE!! I also have a few other tricks up my sleeve for great blooms! Tease Tease!! We counted fans over the last few days and I beleive we are somewhere at a little over 6,000 clumps with fans approaching 7 digits. Oh what fun!! This will be the first year for many seedlings to bloom and we are pretty excited. There is also one clump we have that we are still trying to figure out what it is. It doesn't start blooming until around early Sept. Yes you heard me right Sept. I don't me rebloom, I mean the first flush of bloom. It is a peachy orange that does somewhat favor a ditch lily but the blooms are smaller and more of a soft peachy-orange. This is a plant that is definately worth having if for no other reason to extend the bloom season. Did I tell you I had a few more tricks up my sleeve? Stay tuned , same bat time, same bat channel. If anyone knows where I can get rid of some old Earnhardt stuff let me know. It's cluttering up my place!!!!

Thumbnail by dablaw

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2004
3:02 AM

Post #805237

Earnhardt?

Anything you don't want, you can throw this direction. :-)

By the way, glad to see you decided to stick around.
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2004
3:10 AM

Post #805242

Okay! I've thrown my shovel into the back of the truck. Where do you guys live...? Deep sigh! :) Bev.
Ponditis
Payette, ID
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2004
7:27 AM

Post #805321

hmmm I think I need to make a road trip very soon. With my shovel too.
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2004
6:44 PM

Post #805760

Earnhardt-You know Im listening! guess what the 8 in my email stands for!!! I LUV them!!!

Thanks for letting me know where to get that superduperbloomer stuff! When should i apply it-my daylilies are still under straw bedding here in michigan.

That Pic is so pretty-I cant wait to my rows look like those.

TUNNED IN!
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2004
7:18 PM

Post #805799

hmmm, gonna have to pick up Iowaron and llilyfan, then head on over to Mi (notmarthas) then down to Ky.(dablaws). could pick up Ponditis on the way. If nothing else, we'll take a tour of the daylily beds...But we'll bring our shovels just in case! Just joking guys! both of you have beautiful daylily beds! Enjoy looking at the pictures. More please! :) Bev
dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2004
2:16 AM

Post #806105

here is some more pics...

Thumbnail by dablaw

dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2004
2:21 AM

Post #806110

and more...

Thumbnail by dablaw

dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2004
2:23 AM

Post #806113

oh, and just one more...

Thumbnail by dablaw

dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2004
2:23 AM

Post #806115

ok how bout another...

Thumbnail by dablaw

dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2004
2:24 AM

Post #806116

anyone want me to stop...

Thumbnail by dablaw

dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2004
2:25 AM

Post #806118

no! ok here is another then...

Thumbnail by dablaw

dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2004
2:28 AM

Post #806125

what the heck... one more... just for you Dori !!!!

Thumbnail by dablaw

dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2004
2:29 AM

Post #806126

how bout some siloams...

Thumbnail by dablaw

dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2004
2:31 AM

Post #806128

another one...

Thumbnail by dablaw

dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2004
2:32 AM

Post #806130

how bout this one...

Thumbnail by dablaw

dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2004
2:34 AM

Post #806132

last one enjoy...

Thumbnail by dablaw

dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2004
2:39 AM

Post #806143

another one of Toby and Casey. Tobey is grey,Casey is white.

Thumbnail by dablaw

langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2004
2:47 AM

Post #806155

You're killing me, here!!!!
dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2004
2:57 AM

Post #806171

HeHeHeHe... Just think... 3 acres over 6,000 clumps better come and see. Bring your camera... You don't have to buy a thing just enjoy them... Isn't that what they are for????????????

Thumbnail by dablaw

Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2004
3:21 AM

Post #806188

I've been looking for a Banned in Boston, it is such a pretty DL.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2004 11:33 PM
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2004
9:47 AM

Post #806262

Wow, the pics are wonderful. This is like feeding an addiction. Not helping a bit. How long have you been growing daylilies David?
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2004
9:49 AM

Post #806264

Has anyone held of playing bingo for Daylilies? They did at the Lexington meeting. Wish I had been there.
dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2004
11:29 AM

Post #806284

I'm 37 years old and have been growing since about 1986. It's been quite the learning experience over the years. Lots of sucess, and lots of failure. But never regret the people I've met along the way.

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2004
11:59 AM

Post #806300

Dablaw
I am just getting the bug for daylillies..actually it started late last summer. Yesterday I bought an old one named Catherine Woodbury. I would love to have a ruffled edge one someday.
What is the name of the lavender with gold ruffled edge in the second photo you posted in this thread? Your photos are fabulous!
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Carol
This is a photo of Mais Oui I bought last year at We're in the Hayfield Now open house. A Lycett Lorrain introduction.

Thumbnail by Starzz

bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2004
12:10 PM

Post #806308

Melissa, I think Becky has it on the Tinkers auction.
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2004
12:11 PM

Post #806310

David-wowzerz! you own all those!!! what is the first purple one??? Its beautiful and so are the rest-we need to make a deal before you send mine! You have Darla!!! :)

I have to have more!
pics are BEAUTIFUL
IowaAnn
Elkhart, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2004
1:17 PM

Post #806364

Okay, now we need to have a bus tour going down to Ky. David, your daylilies are just gorgeous! I love the siloam stormy nights and siloam night ring and and and I could go on forever...how do you get the names on the picture? Keep the pictures coming, I love them! :) Bev
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2004
2:03 PM

Post #806407

I found it Teresa at a couple of places, I'm just waiting to hear availabilty, THANK YOU.
I thought for a minute something freaky had happened and I was the only one who could see my post!

LOL
ecobioangie
Mableton, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 12, 2004
2:59 PM

Post #806458

omg. What IS that purple one with the gold edge posted as 'here is some more pics...'??? I think I'm gonna cry it's so pretty!!!
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2004
3:04 PM

Post #806464

lol angie i know isnt it to die for!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2004
3:08 PM

Post #806469

I was wondering the same thing? I just love gold edges!
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2004
3:22 PM

Post #806483

i luv its middle and its edges and its color and...!
barby34
Saint Albans, VT
(Zone 4b)

March 12, 2004
4:17 PM

Post #806528

If I may, I'd like to sing a slightly sour note to all you huge bloom lovers - I know - I used to be one, too 8-)
Unfortunately, phosphate/phosphorus is one of the worst water pollutants that there is. It issues open invitations to algae of all kinds. I live near Lake Champlain and have learned all kinds of stuff I never wanted to know. Up here, they're even trying to ban phosphates in dishwasher detergents. I guess us northerners will be doomed to spotty glassware. I'm not using high phosphorus any more even if it does make gorgeous blooms. Sob!!!
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2004
4:38 PM

Post #806546

Ahhh, good info, barby34. Thanx! We've got enough water problems here, without me contributing to it. ;-)

Cheri'
dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2004
12:43 AM

Post #806925

The one everyone is asking about is Uppermost Edge. It's pretty and all but I have seen much prettier. I use the Triple Phosphates in a very low amount as opposed to the amount needed to contaminate groundwater. I could go into a 3 page chemical breakdown if needed with reaction formulas and a lot of chemistry that no one would care about, so I won't. Just use as your own descretion and don't use in a fun off situation I suppose. The main type of Phosphorus is a monocalcium base ...nope I said I wouldn't get into all that so I wont. Glad to know you enjoy the pics!!
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2004
12:53 AM

Post #806932

wow, I thought Uppermost edge was Peach colored.

So you're saying that adding these things to the soil will change the colors as well?

dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2004
1:35 AM

Post #806963

Uppermost edge is a bit more peachy. Perhaps because of the backlighting instead of direct light on the face of the bloom it shows a bit different. If you look at the top part of this blossom where the light is shining directly on it you can see more of the peachy color you are talking about. Not trying to mislead anyone at all. Thanks for pointing this out but all and all it is relatively a good depiction. As far as changing colors... not really but it does enhance colors already there. I have 3 minature donkeys and 20 or so Pygmy goats and they provide me with the #1 secret for big, healthy plants. Unfortunately it helps the health of the plants not the blooms in particular. Manure of this kind is very high in nitrogen but very low in phosphorus. I just add the triple superphosphate as a top dresssing this time of the year very sparingly to give the plants a boost inthe bloom category come bloom time. You must realize that I'm not in an urban enviroment and don't really have any problems with runoff. Always read directions clearly and use your best judgement before using any chemical. But the things I mention that I use I've had very good luck with.
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2004
1:47 AM

Post #806972

darn--I thought something you had added to the soil had changed the color. :-) I had never heard of it, but there are tons of things that I haven't heard of, I was mentally going through some of the DL's I have that are peach or orange and wondering what color I could change them to. :-)

So, you swear by goat doo doo huh? My daughter has wanted a pygmy goat for years, LOL

I better not, I'll end up with more of a zoo than I already have. :-)
dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2004
1:51 AM

Post #806974

Yes i do the goat do do and GOOSE does to. This is Goose after munching some goat DOODOO!!!!!!

Thumbnail by dablaw

dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2004
12:22 PM

Post #807179

No kidding!! My minature donkeys for some reason love to eat the goat droppings. Talk about recycling!!!

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2004
3:37 PM

Post #807332

I tend to top dress everything with Black Kow and bonemeal in the spring, as soon as any bulbs begin emerging. Then after they bloom, I use a 5-10-10 or Osmocote and then hit them one more time in the fall when you normally plant and fertilize those spring-blooming bulbs.
flowerpot
St. Thomas, ON
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2004
6:58 PM

Post #810913

Wow to think I thought the only lillies were tiger and Easter lillies. AWESOME and the colours are beautiful.
windsurffer

(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2004
4:21 AM

Post #811470

Dablaw a lot of the daylilies you have I have ordered before viewing this post and it's so nice to see what they really look like instead of the way the seller has them posted thanks.

Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 18, 2004
9:54 PM

Post #812146

It is hard to get the colors right. Daylilies that bloom ugly in my yard are gorgeous elsewhere & vica versa. I have alot of clay soil that I'm amending.Some of mine even change to different colors at different times of the day...
windsurffer

(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2004
2:56 AM

Post #812537

I to have rock hard clay soil but since I have been here seven years my gardening spaces are almost where I want them.
I sometimes have problems taking photos of red, white and some yellows but sometime to my surprise they do come out just fine,I will be looking for your photos this spring and summer.
Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2004
4:18 PM

Post #814686

I can't wait to have ANYTHING come up so I can photo it!
Still cold here--I'm covering up my daylilies for a few more weeks... Classic Caper--big blooms & lots of them!

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

windsurffer

(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2004
10:23 PM

Post #815109

Beautiful picture and daylily. I am with you but I am hoping that my poor daylilies can hold off bloom until they are done putting in new windows and siding on my house. It would just kill me if anything would happen to them or other plants.
Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2004
1:58 AM

Post #817306

You could stand outside guarding your flowers with a baseball bat...
dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2004
11:54 AM

Post #817642

I think I'll make a sign that says : Please don't tromp through my daylilies, VIOLATORS WILL BE COMPOSTED!
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 24, 2004
12:52 PM

Post #817694

LOL thats a good one!!!
Ponditis
Payette, ID
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2004
4:45 PM

Post #817914

I drove by a house last summer where she had a sign that said "please pick the daisies"
windsurffer

(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2004
7:48 AM

Post #818613

Lol Wanda, I only wish I could but since I don't own this house I have to comply with the landlord.

Dablaw I like that idea, not that it would do any good I think they would trumple on it to.
dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2004
12:09 PM

Post #818686

Yeah your right but it sure would be fun watching the leaf mold creep up their legs as the morning scraps and spent daylily blooms got deeper and deeper... Wait, it's not Halloween yet...sounds like a spooky movie doesn't it...Where the mild manored gardener gets pushed over the edge because people tromp his dayliles...he snaps and makes a rich compost out of decaying visitors...what would a good name for this movie be...hmmm... COMPOSTED...or...DAYLILY MANIAC...or ...HaHa not enough sleep makes you think wierd things doesn't it...so anyone want to come help pot up today?? Just watch your step...wouldn't want to step on any daylilies now would we...strange jason music playing in the background...oooo...ahahah...oooooo
windsurffer

(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2004
3:08 AM

Post #819278

ROTFLMAO I know what you mean about lack of sleep, I am already wierd enough.
Watch out Dablaw!! don't step on that hand sticking out of the ground wait at minute while I throw more compost on it...now tread carefully, not only do you have to look out for the dayliles but for body parts. If you see any just toss some compost over them and come and join me for a nice cool drink so we can discuss other bulbs I still have to plant.
Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2004
2:15 PM

Post #819510

Do you suppose "bodies" make good fertilizer? I'm always looking for a way to perk up my daylilies... :)
Ponditis
Payette, ID
(Zone 7a)

March 26, 2004
5:22 PM

Post #819730

LOL you are reminding me of when my friend was breaking up with her ex. One particularly bad argument insued and she told him "watch out because I have a gun AND a backhoe" Then she broke up laughing at what she had just said and called me to tell me about it. We giggled for a while and ever since then whenever either of us are driving and someone cuts us off in traffic we both giggle and say "watch out, I have a gun AND a backhoe". So anyone bothers MY garden and I guess I have a gun AND a backhoe.

Where was I? Oh yes, I have sandy loam soil for part of my yard and pure sand for part. I plan on turning that pure sand into good sandy loam. I sure am glad I don't live where it is pure clay or I would never be able to dig due to my back problems. Hmmmm guess I would have to find someone who doesn't want the backhoe and gun treatment to work for me and loosen up that clay. lol

Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2004
5:32 PM

Post #819736

Dried clay in some parts of my garden is like a rock. It would make a great murder weapon. Just add water and it disappears.

You know, when I can't dig in my garden, I get a little wierd...
Don't keep me from my garden addiction if you know what's good for you!-
windsurffer

(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2004
7:27 PM

Post #819835

Bluegrass425 I must apologize for taking over your post, I just kind of got carried away...I am so sorry.
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2004
12:43 PM

Post #841525

DAVID
I need your expertise again,
I bought fertilizer last night
10-23-6 or close to that ratio
phospate the highest number-can i sprinkle this around my daylilies now and if so how much???

THANK you wise one! ;)
dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2004
1:00 PM

Post #841538

Hey Dori. That should be fine as far as the phosphate level.Just sprinkle it like you would preen for instance just a light covering if ya know what i mean. scrathing it into the soil helps to get it going and lightly water to disperse it and so the roots will go looking for it. Ok. Hope this helps. Wish you were here today. It's supposed to hit 85 degrees and got some more dividing to do. Later,David.
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2004

Post #841539

bump
dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2004

Post #841540

I'm lost here. What does bump mean?
dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2004
1:04 PM

Post #841541

Going outside now Dori. Holler at you later.
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2004
1:05 PM

Post #841543

lol i bumped it so u would see it!

rain her this moring yesterday we got up to 79!!!
oh heavenly day!

guy at the store told me i didnt want that fertilizer i wanted 10 -10-10
told him thanks for your help! ;)
have fun outside!!!!!

This message was edited Apr 17, 2004 9:12 AM
dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2004
1:11 PM

Post #841547

ok. Blonde moment
dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 17, 2004
1:11 PM

Post #841548

And im not even blonde.
Wandasflowers
Cedar Rapids, IA
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2004
12:35 PM

Post #847562

I was down in San Antonio last week. Saw lots of wildflowers & roses & spent irises--where are the daylilies? I was hoping to glimpse some early ones...
dablaw
Murray, KY
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2004
5:06 AM

Post #848392

10-10-10 is not a complete balanced fertilizer. Right now you want root growth and phosphorus to develop killer sized blooms. You don't need all that nitrogen because all you'll have is alot of foliage growth. Hostas on the other hand love nitrogen high content fertilizers as to make more and better foliage. Triple Superphosphate is 0-45-0. No nitrogen or potash juat good old phosphorus.
Alyssum
Cortlandt Manor, NY
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2004
6:36 PM

Post #848823

I use dehydrated cow manure on all my daylilies. I am definitely going to have to get my hands on some of that super duper phosphate stuff though. Thanks for the tips and the pics too. I really like the Siloam Night Ring, what gorgeous colors and a really nice clump too -- looks like a beautiful bouquet.
JodyC
Palmyra, IL
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2005
6:38 PM

Post #1438431

Do dayliles like horse manure?aged of course.
Should I add bulb food too?
Thanks,Jody
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2007
1:54 PM

Post #3298161

bumped for spring 07!
highjack
Lexington, KY

March 19, 2007
4:17 PM

Post #3298585

Wow, I just read this thread and wonder how many people jumped out and applied liberal amounts of superphosphate?

First everyone needs to take the time to have a soil test to discover what their particular soil needs. They are very cheap and take the guess work out of your soil's requirements.

Superphosphate if not needed, will actually do more harm than good and will eventually poison the soil so you have to remove it. It binds in the soil, it does not pass through the soil. It is more dangerous to build up in clay soil because the clay silica is smaller and the phosphate will bind to more particles. It is not quite as bad for sandy soil but again, it can cause long term damage if overused.

I agree that nitrogen grows foliage but since nitrogen leaches out so quickly, you need foliage to create roots. No foliage growth = no root growth. You don't want to push foliage extra early in the season until you are past a killing (not light) frost date. If you have a killing frost , then the roots will have to work hard to create the foliage again so don't be tempted by early spring and use fertilizer.

10-10-10 is a balanced fertilizer but probably would not have trace or micro nutrients in it. If you don't need the micro nutrients, then the cheapest 10-10-10 is fine.

Osmocote is a time release available in 3-6-9 mo. release times. If you have a short growing season, applying it late in the year is a waste of money because it is released by soil temp.

Many people are now using a very high nitrogen late summer/early fall fertilizer which is really for grass. You would apply it at the time it is recommended for grass in the fall in your area. The theory is it will grow foliage and roots until the ground is frozen for a great season the next year.

Brooke
sybiltwo
Excelsior, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 19, 2007
6:54 PM

Post #3299194

Your information is a very good reminder to "look before you leap", Brooke. Thanks!
halo
Citra, FL

March 20, 2007
7:37 AM

Post #3300843

I didnt read this whole thread, but I cringed when I saw the advice to add super phosphate to daylilies. All the professional daylily breeders that I know suggest either a 10-10-10, or a lawn fertilizer such as 16-4-8; they all say its much better having a high nitrogen number and a small phosphate number, since as Brooke said it isnt good for the soil. I keep reading where high nitrogen will only give you a green flush and no blooms, but I have never seen it in practise. I have found with a healthy green growing plant you get healthy growing blooms. But thats just my opinion, and you know what that's worth. Personally, I feed the soil with compost and horse manure, and I have to beat these plants back with a stick, they grow so well.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America