Do you ever top dress your lilies? When?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I was wondering if anyone uses Osmocote or similar products.
Thanks for your input.
Teresa

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

I will go thru my gardens with a big bottle of osmocote and sprinkle everywhere. I like to do it in the spring and once again in the fall. The soil in my yard was never worked so Im trying to get it up to par with where I think it should be. I also go thru my compost bin and add to the beds from that. As soon as I can find some old horse manure and figure a way to get it home Im gonna get some of that too. HHmmm. We do have a Llamma farm close by, anyone know if thats good ?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I have been buying leaf mulch from a college agri program. It looks like black gold. Do you cover your osmocote or scratch it in at all? My soil is heavy clay and really needs amendments!
That is one reason I love daylilies they bloom wherever planted.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Bluegrass425, I've just about given up on amending my heavy clay soil. Now, I'm building raised beds.

I've used leaf mulch (home made), gypsum, cow manure, sand, compost ... you name it, I've tried it. I've even tried 'cover crops' turned under and replanted every couple months for a year. It all helps, but nothing really does the trick.

You are right about the daylilies, tho. It's one thing that will grow and even flourish in clay soil.

In the fall, I cover everything with oak leaves (unshredded), mostly as a weed deterrent. In the spring, they can be shredded and then turned under (in fallow beds). I think the leaves sitting on the ground all winter somehow softens it up a bit, at least the top inch. I don't turn anything under in established perennial beds, I'm sure I'd kill everything in sight if I tried. So, they just get the leaves shredded and left on top.

But, like I said, I'm doing raised beds wherever possible. It's more expensive, but a lot more satisfying.

Cheri'

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I've been putting grass clippings & shredded leaves in my beds for years to keep weeds down & protect in the winter. It all works it's way in as I dig around & move stuff. I was out a few minutes ago using mulch to cover up any emerging daylilies. Too early here.

Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

Don't forget to apply SuperPhosphate to your daylilies now for the most incredible blooms you have ever seen this summer.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Where can you buy that product? I am open to anything that brings great blooms!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I just keep tilling around mine-what about preen?
heres one of my new beds last yr!

Im going to have to look for some SuperPhosphate too!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, you are serious about daylilies. Is the whole row the same or different plants? I don't see markers. Is preen a grass killer?
Teresa

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

Preen is a weed preventative, isn't it? It keeps seeds from germinating, right?

I got a bag of WOW, which is the organic equivalent to Preen, I think. I used it last fall, and I need to re-apply it now. So far, it seems to be working ....

'Course, I won't be planting any seeds in those beds ...

Cheri'

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

sneriously serious!!!! They are all different types and logged in a daylily book row by row plant by plant and I did add markers before winter incase some didnt make it Id know where they were suppose to be!!! Thats only the first bed! 8rows at least 25 kinds per row and then theres another bed i started and when i get everything ive ordered(so far) and all my seedlings-I will need bed #3! yes im out of control!! ;)
look see #2bed just past the first bed! see all the land behind it that i can still plant

Not sure what all preen kills and doesnt kill-I got some in an auction box last fall! will have to read the label.

Thumbnail by notmartha
Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Notmartha, let me know when you open your company and start selling fans! TeeHee! I am so totally impressed! (also just a tad bit jealous!) Oh My gosh! Please post a picture when they are in bloom! I can't even imagine it! How do you have them planted? By color, bloom date, height?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I use the Osmocote. I especially like to use it in my containers - as it has the slow release and tends to fertilize them for the whole season. I've had outstanding results with it, especially with bacopa, impatients, & nasturstiams.

(Oh my goodness, I just previewed this and I spelled "nasturstiams" right the first time! It is going to be a GOOD day! :)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Thank you(blushin) I would Luv to have a DL n Iris farm someday SOON!

They arent planted in any order so we shall see together!!!
Promise to post pics-I cant wait to see them myself.
I just stuck them in as I got them. Im new to daylily's and had no idea what I was doing-just tried to keep it all straight and a good journal of where each was! Im forever losing names of plants! cuz im NOTmartha-not organized just luv to grow things!

Now I want some of that superblooming stuff David was talkin about!!!

I top dressed mine today with compost. I read where it should be done twice early in the spring with 5-10-10 but I've not done that.

Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

You can buy Superphosphate at Lowe's or Home Depot or and coop store locally. It will say 0-18-0 on the pkg. 18 being the phosphorus. This is what makes your blooms SUPERSIZE!! I also have a few other tricks up my sleeve for great blooms! Tease Tease!! We counted fans over the last few days and I beleive we are somewhere at a little over 6,000 clumps with fans approaching 7 digits. Oh what fun!! This will be the first year for many seedlings to bloom and we are pretty excited. There is also one clump we have that we are still trying to figure out what it is. It doesn't start blooming until around early Sept. Yes you heard me right Sept. I don't me rebloom, I mean the first flush of bloom. It is a peachy orange that does somewhat favor a ditch lily but the blooms are smaller and more of a soft peachy-orange. This is a plant that is definately worth having if for no other reason to extend the bloom season. Did I tell you I had a few more tricks up my sleeve? Stay tuned , same bat time, same bat channel. If anyone knows where I can get rid of some old Earnhardt stuff let me know. It's cluttering up my place!!!!

Thumbnail by dablaw
Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Earnhardt?

Anything you don't want, you can throw this direction. :-)

By the way, glad to see you decided to stick around.

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

Okay! I've thrown my shovel into the back of the truck. Where do you guys live....? Deep sigh! :) Bev.

Lincoln City, OR(Zone 9a)

hmmm I think I need to make a road trip very soon. With my shovel too.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Earnhardt-You know Im listening! guess what the 8 in my email stands for!!! I LUV them!!!

Thanks for letting me know where to get that superduperbloomer stuff! When should i apply it-my daylilies are still under straw bedding here in michigan.

That Pic is so pretty-I cant wait to my rows look like those.

TUNNED IN!

Elkhart, IA(Zone 5a)

hmmm, gonna have to pick up Iowaron and llilyfan, then head on over to Mi (notmarthas) then down to Ky.(dablaws). could pick up Ponditis on the way. If nothing else, we'll take a tour of the daylily beds...But we'll bring our shovels just in case! Just joking guys! both of you have beautiful daylily beds! Enjoy looking at the pictures. More please! :) Bev

Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

here is some more pics.............

Thumbnail by dablaw
Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

and more...........

Thumbnail by dablaw
Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

oh, and just one more.............

Thumbnail by dablaw
Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

ok how bout another............

Thumbnail by dablaw
Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

anyone want me to stop...............

Thumbnail by dablaw
Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

no! ok here is another then..............

Thumbnail by dablaw
Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

what the heck..... one more........... just for you Dori !!!!

Thumbnail by dablaw
Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

how bout some siloams............

Thumbnail by dablaw
Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

another one...........

Thumbnail by dablaw
Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

how bout this one.................

Thumbnail by dablaw
Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

last one enjoy..........................

Thumbnail by dablaw
Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

another one of Toby and Casey. Tobey is grey,Casey is white.

Thumbnail by dablaw
Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

You're killing me, here!!!!

Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

HeHeHeHe............. Just think........... 3 acres over 6,000 clumps better come and see. Bring your camera........ You don't have to buy a thing just enjoy them....... Isn't that what they are for????????????

Thumbnail by dablaw
Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

I've been looking for a Banned in Boston, it is such a pretty DL.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2004 11:33 PM

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow, the pics are wonderful. This is like feeding an addiction. Not helping a bit. How long have you been growing daylilies David?

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Has anyone held of playing bingo for Daylilies? They did at the Lexington meeting. Wish I had been there.

Murray, KY(Zone 7a)

I'm 37 years old and have been growing since about 1986. It's been quite the learning experience over the years. Lots of sucess, and lots of failure. But never regret the people I've met along the way.

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Dablaw
I am just getting the bug for daylillies..actually it started late last summer. Yesterday I bought an old one named Catherine Woodbury. I would love to have a ruffled edge one someday.
What is the name of the lavender with gold ruffled edge in the second photo you posted in this thread? Your photos are fabulous!
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Carol
This is a photo of Mais Oui I bought last year at We're in the Hayfield Now open house. A Lycett Lorrain introduction.

Thumbnail by Starzz

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.