Database slide show

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Will the plants database slide show that used to be on the sidebar be back?

It's still there!

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

I don't see the slide show, and haven't for a while.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

What slide show?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't have any photo at all anymore.

It's to the right of the photo. Click to enlarge one of the pictures and then look to the right (you might have to scroll if the image is very large) and you'll see it.

Or, maybe you and I are talking about two different things?

dave

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Over on the right, where all the boxes are, with the voting poll, site info, birthdays, etc., there was a box with a preview from the PDB. Then at one point, instead of one photo, the pic changed, like a slide show. There is nothing now. I still have the logo and the link boxes, but no more plant pic.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I *think* Mystic might have meant the most-recent photo in the right-hand column that changed throughout the day as new images were added.

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes Terry that's what I meant. It's not been there for awhile. I just wondered if it was going to be coming back?

Oh, yes, that. I took that down quite a good while ago.

The reason I took it down is, we went to a moderated PDB Images queue, so then instead of new images coming in scattered throughout the day, they all rush in when Terry comes and approves a few dozen at one wack. So the "Latest PDB Picture" wasn't the latest picture anymore, and the same picture would stay there for 12 hours or more until the next time that Vols went in and approved more pics.

So, I thought long and hard, and just took it down. Do you have an alternative idea? I really did like it when we had it.

dave

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

At least we are not nuts. :) Could it not be set to just randomly pick anything from the PDB rather than only chosing from recent entries? It might be nice to accidentally identify a seed or pod or weed. If it is easier, it could just stay gone for now.

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

I don't suppose there is anyway to have it load a random picture, from the last batch that was approved?

Cheri'

I agree just pulling random images from the most recently-added ones would be nice (I miss it, too!)

Ideally (maybe - wishful thinking here) it could change everytime we refresh the page? Or if that's unreasonable and/or takes too much of the system's resources perhaps it could change on some schedule (every hour, or every half-hour)?

I like the randomized idea, too. I knew ya'll would come up with a good idea! :)

I'll implement that.

dave

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've missed it for quite some time, but figured the reason was something important.

Maybe not a slide show of the most recent images, but a slide show of PDB images old and new.

Would that be easier to program? Since they would all have been approved, there would be no lag and Terry could add images as she gets time and no one would notice because the image would change as often as Dave decided.

I know I've been prompted to make a comment several times just by seeing the image and there's thousands of images that I'm sure I've never seen.

It would encourage newbies to use the PDB as well if we had a slide show.

The "rand(PDB Picture)" feature is finished! (And I chuckle at the name).

Fun fun. Currently it changes every 10 minutes. I may change it to change every 5 or even 1 minute.

dave

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

I LOVE it! I'm glad it's back too............ it makes the page more interesting!

Franklin, LA(Zone 9a)

very cool, Dave! I like it.

Cheri'

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

You people are fast! LOL I go take care of a few things, come back and wah lah! Pictures!! Thanks!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I think ten minutes is good. Think how much we will miss at that speed. Just imagine one or five. I for one have to do something besides sit here and make sure I don't miss something! ROTFLOL

Northern California, CA

Dave -

This is good! I had also missed it, brings up interesting plants we may have missed and jogs the memories of things forgotten. Thanks!

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I dearly love the slide show. Wonderful idea!

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Thank you Dave. I really missed it. This will be even better than before.

Bravo, bravo! I love it!

Ummmm, you might wanna center that heading (oooooh there's the "nit picky" part of me coming out and butting in here. Feel free to ignore her input; I do!)

Maben, MS(Zone 7b)

Thanks Dave.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

I don't remember ever seeing that before so it's new to me. I like it. I thought maybe this was the second "surprise" yall were coming up with after the "Garden Bookworm". So if this is not the 2nd surprise, what is?

:^)

Molly

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Duh! NOW I remember it, and recall I really liked it. Glad it's back!!

Well done, Dave!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you Dave, I missed it too!
You never know what might catch your fancy, and it definitely contributed to my learning experience here.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh, good! I always liked having those pictures on the side. What about expanding it so every so often a DG forum photo comes up? It might be a good way to introduce users to the different forums by providing interesting pictures that lead them to places they've not visited before.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

random from only old pictures?

I notice it is inlcluding images from '04 so I'd say it's randomly pulling from everything already in the PDB. For the newest images, you can keep tabs on them thru the PDB picture forum. I *try* to add 10-15 at a time, 3-4 times a day.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I am glad to have the feature back even if it is different! I have found old pictures that I forgot I posted, been reminded of people I have not heard from in forever, seen some plants that I didn't know about, etc. I love the picture feature!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images