Crofton Cookware at Aldi's

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I stopped by Aldi's to do some grocery shopping today and ended up picking up one of the Crofton 10-piece cookware sets. I just compensated by planning meals made with beans, rice, and ground turkey!

The set seems to be a bargain for $59. They're made in China and distributed by Kirby & Allen. I know they're not top-of-the line or anything, but they are nice and heavy 18/10 stainless steel with copper bottoms and sleek, solid handles riveted onto the pans. I like how the handles all have holes for hooks - eventually, I want to store our cookware and lids on a hanging rack.

The lids are clear tempered glass, each with a little vent hole. They're non-stick with Quantum2 lining (supposed to even allow for metal utensils, but we're not going to chance that). It included all this:

(1) 8" saute pan
(1) 9.5" saute pan
(1) 1-Qt covered saucepan
(1) 2-Qt covered saucepan
(1) 3-Qt covered saucepan
(1) 5-Qt covered dutch oven

Here's a picture (excuse the icky kitchen -- don't know WHOSE that could be).

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

The handle rivets:

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

The bottoms are copper (the breadcrumbs I forgot to brush off, those are mine):

This message was edited Mar 11, 2004 9:08 PM

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

i saw the ad here in sale paper but was to leary.. but looks like super set..

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I was leery when I saw that ad, too. They had the box open at the store so people could see and touch the set, and I just couldn't believe how heavy the pans are. I figure, for $60, it was worth it for so large a set; they have a 20 year warranty with Kirby & Allen, too (providing they're around that long, LOL).

Lafayette, NJ(Zone 6a)

That's a nice looking set of pots GW. I paid over $200.00 for my stainless steel set and they're not non-stick. I like the way the handles look-sleek. Happy cooking.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Well, I'm bumping this thread. The kitchen is no longer icky, and the pans are holding up GREAT. Just wanted to let you know Aldi had them again not too long ago. Watch for them! :)

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Hah ! And they think guys are the only ones that get excited over shiny new tools ? ? ?

Nice looking set Kim =)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey, Howie got me a fishing rod and reel for my birthday last year. :)

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Personally I love regular Mom type stuff, but also fishing stuff or a new part for my scooter like a cam or torque arm (got that last year)

If I only had a self contained work room so I could set up a woodworking shop I would be in Hog Heaven. But first, a GH is in order ... lol

barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

i love those pots....i'm on my way to aldi's tomorrow.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Looks like you got a good deal, Kimberly!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I think so, too. My mom has a set, too.

Note -- the bottoms are not solid copper, but a copper coating (or paint?). I used steel wool to try and remove something scorched on one, and saw silver beneath where I scratched. Still, whatever the bottoms are, they conduct the heat well and the pans work great.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I haven't tried scrubbing the copper bottoms of my cookwear yet, but I don't expect a very thick layer of copper, given the price, LOL.

Do you know an easy way to clean copper is to take a dry piece, coat it with fresh lemon jiuce,and sprinkle salt on it? Takes the tarnish right away, almost instantly!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I saw that tip about a month ago (?) on HGTV, but toooo late. :P Thanks, though!

barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

tidy bowl toilet cleaner is also good for cleaning copper.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

A few people have written and asked me how I like the Crofton cookware now that I've had it for a while. I love it! It's held up great to my frequent use. Aside from the copper bottom which fell victim to my steel wool, the copper coating has held up great, too. :)

Mayfield, KY(Zone 7b)

I love that cookware. Is it non-stick?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Yep, sure is! The literature indicated its coating permits the use of metal utensils, but I don't use anything metal in it. It cleans up great in the dishwasher, too, with no discoloration of the copper.

Mayfield, KY(Zone 7b)

Great. I think I am going to check those out. I love the look of them. Thanks!

Olympia, WA(Zone 8b)

GARDEN,
WHAT is "ALDIS", and how thick is this "copper" on the bottom, do you know?? Got any of the lit with them you can email me?? Can I order these to the west coast??

Regards;
bluelytes@yahoo.com

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

I love Aldi. I get a weekly "here are your bargains for the week" email, which I love. This week they have trellises and fence for my garden... I think that's something I can't live without!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Update: Still love the pans. The finish is not as glossy as it was, but there are no scratches and nothing sticks. I was them in the dishwasher.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

bluelytes, try www.aldi.com. It's a discounted bare to the bones grocery store that carries good products. It's very unique.

Also, my mom taught me to use vinegar and salt to clean copper. I used to 'play' with it as I cleaned it, because it was like magic :) LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images