Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Shed: the old debate: chipper/shredder vs vac shredder

Communities > Forums > Garden Shed
bookmark
Forum: Garden ShedReplies: 2, Views: 353
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
maggiemoo
Conroe, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 14, 2004
8:19 PM

Post #808249

I did a search of the forums on this, and just didn't get quite the information I'm looking for. I have a small yard- backyard is about 65 x 45, front yard probably half that. I get lots of leaves, some pine straw, and fairly consistent dropping tree branches (about 1.5" to 3" dia). For composting and mulching, I have been running over all but the branches with my mulching mower, then running them twice through my leaf vac/shredder. As you can guess, it's pretty time consuming to handle all that stuff at least three times before being finished with it. I'm considering buying a chipper/shredder, so I can also chip the branches up, and because I'm starting to get some neighbors to give me their yard waste instead of throwing it away, so I'll have lots more material to work. Here are my problems: 1) money- I really need something inexpensive, like under $200.00; 2) space- with my small property comes little storage space, it'll have to go in my one-car garage. Any suggestions? Should I just stick to my current set-up and burn the branches (I have a fire pit in the backyard)?

Thanks for any help, and Dave, thanks for this forum!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2004
3:20 AM

Post #808589

I can't give you a recommendation on which brand to buy, but you might try renting a few chipper/shredders to compare which one seems to work the best. If you rent a couple times a year you can probably handle all your needs with a one-day rental each time (and a lot of places will let you rent on Saturday a.m. and return Monday a.m. for a one-day price, if they're not open on Sunday.)

You might find it's more feasible (from a financial and space perspective) to rent a heavy-duty one a few times a year, rather than trying to buy and store a less-expensive model. ;o)
Zen_Man
Ottawa, KS
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2004
6:00 AM

Post #810497

Unfortunately, very few if any shredder/chippers that you might rent will fall in your under $200 price range.

This message was edited Mar 17, 2004 3:01 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America