Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Talk: giant poppies

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 11, Views: 205
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
frank
Richfield Springs, NY
(Zone 4a)

June 5, 2001
10:48 AM

Post #5952

I have been seeing some very large, orangish poppies in some yards. They stand two to three feet tall. Does anyone know what type these are? thanks
northernskyes

June 5, 2001
11:58 AM

Post #80284

I have some Oriental poppies that fit the description.
Mine have big leaves that look like they would be prickly - but they aren't.

Interested in doing a trade?
frank
Richfield Springs, NY
(Zone 4a)

June 5, 2001
6:16 PM

Post #80441

Sure, what do you have seeds or plants? I have some scented geraniums, flowering maples, lots of spider plants,lady's mantle and a few african violet plants started. In the seed department, I have some very dark purple (almost black) hollyhock, locust, lupine, blackeyed susan, shasta daisy and a mess of other stuff.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2001
7:43 PM

Post #80467

Karma I've never had Oriental poppies re-bloom for me and I've cut them down after after flowering just to keep them from flopping all over my other plants. I suppose a southern zone with a longer growing season would have a better chance but I've never heard of it.
Jerseyguy
Princeton, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2001
1:35 AM

Post #80597

Orientals won't rebloom. Her experience was likely with annual poppies which depending on the weather, will rebloom if kept deadheaded and/or cut back.
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

June 7, 2001
3:03 PM

Post #81110

My poppies are pretty huge, both tall and the bloom are so large - bigger than a fist - some are as big as a softball(thanks to poppysue's seeds) they are about 4 ft tall, with massive blooms. quite a sight!!! and the colors!!! oh my...I cant even begin to describe them...
they are just breathtaking, I wish I had a digital camera so I could post a pic of these babies - thanks again Poppysue!!!!
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 7, 2001
11:14 PM

Post #81242

Pebble I wish you had a digital camera too - I want to see them! =)
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2001
3:24 AM

Post #81883

Poppysue, got any more of those seeds Pebble is so crazy about? They sound wonderful!
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

June 13, 2001
2:46 PM

Post #82813

Okay Frank! I just have one question...what are you _really_ going to do with those Oriental poppies hmmmmmm? ROFLMAO!!!!!

Not to worry, folks! Frank is a good friend of mine and I just have to rag him a little. Hey, it's my job as his friend don't you know. LOL

Terri
frank
Richfield Springs, NY
(Zone 4a)

June 14, 2001
12:00 PM

Post #83053

This is true. But, you might as well know the whole truth. I am a very sadistic person and I pay Terri to verbally abuse me on a world wide scale. Terri, the check's in the mail!LOL!
As for the poppies, I think I may have the opportunity to corner the opium market for upstate NY!LOL!! Does anyone know if woodchucks are a proplem in a poppy field?LOL!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America