Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Shed: TUFFY OR SUPER BRONCO TILLER

Communities > Forums > Garden Shed
bookmark
Forum: Garden ShedReplies: 11, Views: 461
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2004
7:32 PM

Post #814935

I have a Mantis tiller for small work, Two troybuilt Horses for big work now Linda is off about sixty miles to get one in between for big small work.

The choice was Tuffy for size or Super Bronco.The price difference was $150 more for the Super Bronco. I was tempted to buy the cheaper Tuffy untill I anyalized the real difference in the two machines.I chose the Super Bronco not to be confused with the Bronco over the Tuffy because.

Superior engine style, a power driven reverse,and it has a bumper that is standard and cost $69 to add to the Tuffy.Right or wrong thats my decision.

The question is what luck, likes,and dislikes do other Tuffy and Super Bronco users have to share about these models.

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2004
10:04 PM

Post #815091

Hmmm...I don't have either of those but also would've chosen the Bronco over the Tuffy.

Guess you'll be having fun soon, eh!?
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2004
5:04 AM

Post #815548

The jury is still out I have found out what I consider negatives about The Super Bronco besides the one Linda bought me having a reverse that won't work. Now I get to drive it 30 miles to have it fixed and they say 10 days to two weeks. Thats ok because I only want it for weeding anyway.

The speed adjustment is on the front of the engine poor location because when I started it up and enguaged the drive I was smiling until I went to stop and found The drive linkage out of adjustment and would not disenguage the drive forcing me to try to hold the handle up while I got far enough fwd to slap the choke and kill the engine.

The book told me the adjustment measurements and I fixed the problem with fwd. pretty smug feeling about now. I restarted the engine and test fwd and it works like it should. I tried reverse clunk bang shudder stall. Ok book what say you about this. Ha Ha jokes on me "should you have trouble with reverse contact your Troy dealer for repairs". Oh pooie I will just have to adjust this linkage a little except no adjustments are visable externaly.

Forgot to mention when I filled the tank I found the fuel hose off no big deal just fit it right took 15 seconds. Right about now I am starting to think my faith in Troy is starting to waiver. Think my Bronco is a Trojan Horse."

My last concern is due to the fact that there isn't a way to disenguage the drive mechanisim easy. The only way the tiller can be moved if the engine isn't running is to pull the drive pins from the wheel hubs and put them in a different location. This is not at all handy.

We shall see how this works out at this point ouch. Ernie

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2004
1:39 PM

Post #815695

Good grief, sounds like a headache to me. Does that thing have a rubber reverse drive wheel? Maybe it isn't tightend down enuff?

Hope things go better for you. (MTD bought out Troybilt, didn't they?)
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2004
4:07 AM

Post #816497

Shoe no reverse drive wheel thats exposed. Whatever is wrong is like it is not getting fully disengauged from fwd yet partially engauged. in reverse. Bummer now my choice is the Bronco for fifty less or the proline for 150 more. I think this garden stuff is kinda spendy I think I should retire and fish more and garden less lol.

Think you are right about M.T.D. Ernie

This message was edited Mar 22, 2004 9:14 PM
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2004
6:48 AM

Post #821101

I am dissapointed I returned the Super Bronco and paid another $150 for the proline and found it to need some mechanical adjustments before it would run properly the engine was great the drive system was awful. Then I tried tilling with it and it just isn't any good for weeding. The tiller digs deep because of the counter rotating tines but leaves ridges on either side of the tiller and a very messy unfluffed appearence. I think this tiller is just not good for sandy loam soil and may do better in tougher soil. It went back now I guess its back to the planet junior powered by armstrong.

The moral of the story may just be buy gas powered garden tools from a dealer with on site service it may be a few bucks more but I bet way less grief in the long run. Ernie
Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2004
7:03 AM

Post #821109

I didn't have much luck with them either-I am back to using the tractor or my hand tools-Michael
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2004
1:30 PM

Post #821200

I say sell your boat, have more kids and use them to pull a plow! LOL
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2004
3:01 PM

Post #821254

Bad the boat is a constant it will be needed to take my ashes to Eagle Point on an outgoing tide.

No more kids hey I want a new Golden but miss naysayer says we have two and thats enough enough is never enough if you want it anyway right.

Could be she may get a present one of these days once puppy shows its pink toung and snuggles it will be all over.

I probably won't get food for a couple of days but PB and jam is ok lol.

The Tiller search was a bummerI hoped someone would come on and say I just got a lemon but not yet. Ernie
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2004
12:37 AM

Post #821611

Giggle. Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

I have a Crafstman, front tine, teeth knocker outer. Hey, it can be a lot to hold onto but it does the job and it was in the budget at the time we bought it. Other than minor repairs, it has never been a problem.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2004
1:32 AM

Post #821632

Bad hmmm kids pulling a plow boy do you have high expectations the only thing most kids will pull these days is a pop from the fridge.

I tilled for about an hour today with my old 1981 troy built what a sweet machine starts first pull it's just getting so heavy and hard to manuver in tight places. Well I tried but no way I am going to go back to one of those front tined gut shakers.

Hmmm if you should run yours right about now maybe your due date would be moved up lol. Ernie
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2004
2:18 AM

Post #821663

Ernie, someone I knew bought a "mini tiller" from Sears years ago. It didn't "till" ground like she thought it was supposed to but it dang sure would weed and cultivate!

If that is the tool you're looking for then just go there and see what they have. The mini Mantis thingys are good weeders/cultivators...the ones that say "SEARS" on them will do you just as well.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America