-
AuthorContent
thatguybry
Wheaton, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2004
2:00 PM

Post #817750

My dad's Tomato plants are 4 weeks old and now some of the leaves on the plants are turning yellow. He started these from seed and is growing under florescent lights.

The problem started in his German tomatoes, but now seems to affect others like his celebrity. The problem started with the lower leaves turning yellow. None of the plants have died yet, but I'm wondering what the cause of this is, and what can be done to treat it.

I'll post photos so you can see the plants.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks for the help.

Bryan

Thumbnail by thatguybry
Click the image for an enlarged view.

thatguybry
Wheaton, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2004
2:02 PM

Post #817752

German Tomato with leaf problems:

Thumbnail by thatguybry

thatguybry
Wheaton, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 24, 2004
2:04 PM

Post #817754

Photo of the Celebrity where the problem seems to just be starting:

Thumbnail by thatguybry

Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

March 24, 2004
8:37 PM

Post #818098

I see the Miracle Grow box sitting there.

How much are you giving them?

Too much nitrogen can cause leaves to turn yellow as can too much water b/c the mix is saturated and no oxygen/nutrients can be taken up.

I'd stop all fertilization ASAP, be sure there is good air movement, with a fan or otherwise, and keep the transplants barely moist.

Also, the top two pictures show white areas to me, not yellow. If the yellow you show on the Celebrity turns into what the others showm then OK. Otherwise I'd wonder about light exposure as well.

Carolyn
thatguybry
Wheaton, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 25, 2004
11:55 PM

Post #819091

Carolyn,

Here is how my Dad raised his tomatoes.

When when the plants were about 10 days old I fertilized them with regular miracle fertilizer at a rate of one tablespoon to one gallon water. I watered them with this solution and sprayed them a bit with it.

At some point after that I saw the lower leaves start to turn yellow.

Then about 10 days after the last feeding I got some miracle grow for tomatoes and mixed it at a rate of one tablespoon per gallon of water. I used it as a watering solution only.

I have several types of tomatoes planted and most seem healthy. My German tomatoes are most affected, and now one of the celebrity.

The problem started with the lower leaves turning yellow like you see in the celebrity photo. Then the leaves get lighter and lighter and turn to almost white like you see in my first two photos. The tops of the plants are still green and seem ok.

Does it sound like too much fertilizer? or could something else be wrong?

I've added a fan on them per your advice. (Thanks for the tip).

Bryan
thatguybry
Wheaton, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 29, 2004
2:39 PM

Post #821974

Does anyone know what is wrong with my Tomato plants??

sveiks
Stoneham, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2004
2:57 PM

Post #822006

Hi, I totally agree with Carolyn ... STOP the fertilizer!!! I believe that 1T to 1 gal. is for outdoor use. I use 1 tsp to 1 gal for potted house plants. When I do start to fertilize my plants when they have 2 sets of leaves I use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon to 1 gal. and I do not fertilize every day. How much light do they get?

Also, on some types of my tomatoes (like the Ox Hearts) it's normal for the bottom leaves to turn yellow until they are planted in the ground - or sometimes as the stem gets thicker ...

Good luck!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2004
3:03 PM

Post #822008

I'd have to go along with the over-feeding...

Am also wondering why kind of potting soil/compost you have the plants in? Did it come with a fertilizer in it? It looks very rich, and also very moist.

Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

March 29, 2004
6:32 PM

Post #822190

Does anyone know what is wrong with my Tomato plants??

How are they doing now?

Again, I'd say stop the fertilizer and I'd also add to keep to them on the dry side.

It isn't a disease, it's due to environmental conditions and from a distance it's terribly hard to trouble shoot what the problem(s) might be.

But overwatering and over fertilizing are the two major reasons why leaves will turn color.

Carolyn
thatguybry
Wheaton, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 13, 2004
2:39 PM

Post #837683

All,

Thanks for the advice. My tomato plants are doing quite well now. I added a fan, stopped the fertilizer, and increased my light.

Again, thanks for the help.

Bryan

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America