Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Looks like baby's breath....

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 18, Views: 281
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ladyrowan
Garberville, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2004
6:07 AM

Post #825012

But isn't. This "bush" (if you can call it that), was here before we moved, and while I try to prune it back from time to time, has been pretty neglected for the last 4 years. I know nothing about it, except that it puts out these tiny white flowers in March, which look a lot like baby's breath.

Help?

Thumbnail by ladyrowan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ladyrowan
Garberville, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2004
6:09 AM

Post #825014

And a close-up of the little flowers...

Thumbnail by ladyrowan
Click the image for an enlarged view.

art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2004
6:18 AM

Post #825021

we had one of those in my backyard growing up. nice little bush! when its blooming anyway, otherwise its kinda scraggly looking. it's still there-- i'll ask my mom what it is if someone doesnt answer you first.
ladyrowan
Garberville, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2004
6:50 AM

Post #825034

I agree, it is very leggy. I try to chop it back in the early spring (wrong time to prune, but it hasn't killed it yet!), so that it doesn't tip over and grow funny, but the thing has been allowed to run wild for too many years, and is very woody at its base. Makes it hard to prune it back too far.
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2004
1:01 AM

Post #825847

ok! my mom told me it was called something like bridal bouquet, which isnt in the pdb but i looked up 'bridal' and i think this is the one. what do you think?

http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/4198/
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2004
1:03 AM

Post #825848

That is sort of what I was thinking it might be, but the one pic first posted in this thread has a more "fragile, dainty" look than the bridal. Perhaps it is a very young bridal?
ladyrowan
Garberville, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 2, 2004
1:44 AM

Post #825909

Wow. That may be what it is. The "bush", and I truly hesitate to call it that, has been very neglected, and ignored. It could be, that if I cut it back and fertilize it carefully, it may look like that eventually. I'm really not sure. Thank you for all the help!
art_n_garden
Colorado Springs, CO
(Zone 6a)

April 2, 2004
4:33 AM

Post #826077

oh yea-- mine at home looked NOTHING like that picture. haha actually a lot more like yours. and i'd say the one we have probably will never look like that, cuz the lovin and attention seem to be elsewhere these days (since i left for college) :)
JudithI
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2004
8:12 AM

Post #826142

The flowers on yours look like something my mother (in GA) had 50 years ago. I checked the PDB where Suzanne found the Bridal Wreath Spirea.

I have one of those, I think, and I remember Mom had this kind too. But someone gave her another one that looks more like yours, Ladyrowan.

I noticed that, under Suzanne's PDB, the next entry is Double Bridal Wreath Spirea. Unfortunately, no pic for this one. But the write-up was from "Terry." I'm not sure from the write-up that Terry actually had one. The info is mostly historic. So Terry might not be able to help.

You might try another plant database (forgive me, Dave), but all plants can't be equally represented on all sites.

Try Google Image Search. That's worked before for me. I don't know how to hyperlink, but the listing from my favorites is image.google.com/image.

Hope this helps!

Judith
Kaufmann
GOD's Green Earth
United States
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2004
6:47 PM

Post #826596

here is a close-up of Bridal Wreath Spirea:

http://www.monrovia.com/PlantInf.nsf/ab770f9a19d06de0882568dd008031f8/e056777397c8eb2688256d7900571f59!OpenDocument

http://www.monrovia.com/PlantInf.nsf/0/3ea8767846ae6ef888256d7900571fb4?OpenDocument

I think you may need to keep searching. I have had Bridal Wreath Spirea, and while it may be another spirea cultivar, I don't think its that... Sorry!
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2004
6:54 PM

Post #826606

Looks like it could be a Flowering Almond.

Quote from http://www.oldhouseweb.com/gardening/garden/01700750.shtml

Cultivars include: 'alba'--white flowers, 'rosea'--pink flowers; 'albiplena'--double white flowers; 'sinensis'-- double pink flowers.
JudithI
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2004
9:53 PM

Post #826772

You both tied in with my own thoughts about ladyrowen's shrub. I have both, the bridal wreath spirea, and the flowering almond. Both plants are lovely.

My dear old Mom had this one too. She was into collecting the latest plants, bless her heart. That's where I got my love of gardening. And why I chose these two for my own garden. They remind me of her, now that I can no longer call her and ask about a plant. I miss her a lot!

Anyway, the flowers of the cultivar that I am thinking about looked a lot like the flowering almond's, rosettes, rather than the clustered blooms, but it wasn't quite the same. This is the one that I'm thinking ladyrowen may have.

It has the type of double flowers as the flowering almond in white (I've only seen light pink flowering almond), but the one I remember is actually a a cultivar of spirea. I still can't find a picture. But if you could visualize a bridal wreath spirea (great pictures, wish mine looked that good--not enough sun!), with the same type of flower as that of the flowering almond in white. Leaves were different from flowering almond, and the stems were thinner, like spirea.

I'm still looking!

Judith
JudithI
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2004
10:19 PM

Post #826793

I found the one I was looking for. It might not be what your's is, but here's my 2 cents:

On your web start page, in "search" type in "Google Image Search." When that opens, type a search for "Double bridal wreath spirea."

The page that opens has two pictures side by side. The one on the left is Dusty Miller. The one on the right is the spirea I was looking for. Click on this one, and it gives you a larger view.

If yours isn't a cluster flower (the single BW spirea). The flowers on the flowering almond seem attached to the stem. The flowers on the double BW spirea sort of dangle on short stems.

Is this perhaps what you have? If not, we'll keep searching.

Judith
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

April 2, 2004
10:52 PM

Post #826833

It sure looks like the double Bridal Wreath Spirea. Good find.
JudithI
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2004
10:59 PM

Post #826842

Thanks!

I'm not really good at most plant ID, but I have a good memory of plants I have encountered. And I know what is growing in my yard, and why. Otherwise, I just enjoy learning from you experts who really know your plants. My specialty is Middle Ga and Tallahassee, FL, plant ID. I really enjoy this forum. Learn many things from you each day.

I'll pipe up with "my specialty" on the odd occasions it may be useful.

Thanks to all of you for posting your requests, and you who have the answers. I am honestly in awe of your knowledge of a wide variety of plants!

Judith - Mid Ga gal, transplanted to Tallahassee

DaylilySLP

DaylilySLP
Dearborn Heights, MI
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2004
3:11 AM

Post #827070

I had this in my yard for 20 years before I moved, it is
Spiraea cantoniensis. A good picture at the link below:

http://www.magnoliagardensnursery.com/productdescrip/Spiraea_Bridal.html
ladyrowan
Garberville, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2004
3:22 AM

Post #827082

You have all been so helpful! Thank you very much. It is the bridal wreath, but I think it is a single, because each bloom is attached to the main branch.

As to the "leggy", scraggly appearance, I spoke to a lady at a flower shop. She said that I could chop it back to the older wood, and it should grow back just fine. If I don't want to cut it back that far, I was told to cut 1/3 of the bush back each year for three years, and it should be fine.

Hopefully in a couple of years, it will look full and bushy. We'll see.
Kaufmann
GOD's Green Earth
United States
(Zone 8b)

April 3, 2004
11:38 PM

Post #827806

You should probably prune it hard every spring, unless its an evergreen, in which case you will want to prune it back to the new wood. I have several varieties of spirea and I prune them severly. They grow back bigger and fuller each year. I understand that you will only get blooms on the new wood. Hope this is helpful. :)
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2004
5:10 AM

Post #828097

ladyrowan: here's another good pic

http://www.ag.auburn.edu/landscape/inbloommarch00.html#spirea

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America