-
AuthorContent
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 5, 2001
7:57 PM

Post #5990

I have little tiny green worms on the backside of the leaves of my William Baffin rose. They're not doing a lot of damage ... chewing some holes in the leaves but not too bad. Should I ignore them or should I be concerned? I really hate to spray but if it's going to be a big problem later on I'd rather "nip it in the bud".
Marlowe
Kunkletown, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2001
3:15 AM

Post #80625

Their 'rose slugs', sounds nasty doesn't it, actually their sawfly larva, and depending on what kind can produce up to 6 generations a season. They do damage the leaves, actually eating the underside leaving a pale upper membrane in place, giving the leaves a see through look. I had quite a problem with them this season so far, and while they don't actually kill the leaf the leaf does degrade with time, turning brown and looking rather stressed, sometimes slowly dying. I do have some leaves that they almost completely ate. I hate the little buggers, just the word 'slug' sets me off, I imagine a large amount of them and repeated munching by them would set your plants back, so I kilt them, kilt them dead! Not with Orthene but with one of my homemade insecticidal sprays, I try to avoid the heavy stuff. You may want to do a little more research to know your enemy better so you can decide whether you'd like to off the little yuckies, cheers!!!
Marlowe
Kunkletown, PA
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2001
3:50 PM

Post #80786

Karma you are such a hoot!!!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 18 May 26, 2010 10:56 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America