-
AuthorContent
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2004
1:44 PM

Post #840585

Since I live in a mobile home and have very little space I solved the problem by using a small box that fits inside one of the largest cake containers from the bakery department. I lined it with a Wal-Mart plastic bag to keep water from softening the cardboard box. (Food City charged me $3.65 for the cake container while Kroger's charged me $2.00 for the same kind!) I used styrofoam cups with a hole punched in the bottom.

Thumbnail by roadrunner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 16, 2004
1:47 PM

Post #840587

I have 3 seeds in each cup...they are doing fine. Since I plan to be gone alot this summer, I am starting these for my son in law to plant...and for me to enjoy!! Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

April 17, 2004
1:07 AM

Post #841064

What a good idea. I will be starting some more this coming week. Some snails ate some of my seedlings (yet again).. I need to pant enough for me and the critters I think. This time they will go directly into the ground.. will nick and soak them overnight especially the bigger seeds. Good luck in your gourd growing, hopefully we can compare pictures later in the season.
Badseed
Lynchburg, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2011
7:14 AM

Post #8501546

I was just refreshing my memory, on starting gourds in the greenhouse and getting the timing right to have them ready for outside. Low and behold, this post came up in a Google search. Seemed appropriate to bump it since I got my seeds from you and Esther (who got them from you). LOL
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2011
7:40 AM

Post #8501652

Be ssure and clip the botton little bitty ears before soaking them overnight...thos BIG ones needs to be shaved up each side...so the man said that gave themt to me. Jo
Badseed
Lynchburg, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2011
7:53 AM

Post #8501676

I trimmed them all and have them in baggies of water on my computer, warming them just a bit. They are all headed to the greenhouse shortly. They've been in there about 36 hours. Thanks a bunch for sharing. :)
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 23, 2011
7:49 AM

Post #8515116

I wonder about actually growing them in bags. I grow potatoes in these big black bags made of some kind of felt-like material and it keeps them from being affected by things that develop deep underground (like borers... grrr). Maybe when I harvest the potatoes I'll throw some gourd seeds in there and see what happens. I don't have ANY planted this year.
Badseed
Lynchburg, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 23, 2011
8:37 AM

Post #8515233

More and more people are switching to different types of grow bags. One big plus is that they can be cleaned, fold flat and take up much less room in the off season.

I think a little over 100 seeds. Nothing has sprouted yet but I chipped them and soaked them until swelled. None are peeking up yet but I have them close to the heater in my greenhouse which I keep at 70-75. Tomatoes came up in 4 days. LOL Peppers took a few days longer.

Good luck on yours! If you do the grow bags, let us know the results.
brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2011
8:14 AM

Post #8521439

I have 2 issues with the bags - first, you have to buy dirt to fill them if you don't have good dirt on the ground you can do without (and don't mind holes in your yard). Second, I'm not sure what the fabric content is. Is this just felt, like you buy at the fabric store? And if so, why in the world am I paying this much for them when I have a sewing machine???? Have I been taken in by marketing once again?
Badseed
Lynchburg, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2011
8:32 AM

Post #8521465

LOL I've seriously considered using chicken food bags. We have some that are woven plastic mesh so they'd hold dirt in and let water out and I assume they will let the roots breathe. I keep thinking about it but haven't gotten that far.

Oh, no sooner than I posted the other day, I noticed a luffa seed up. Now several others have come up. Yay!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America