Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Plants: Corn plant?

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 8, Views: 298
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kiddiwinkles
Murfreesboro, TN

June 6, 2001
8:14 AM

Post #6015

I was given a very large plant that I was told was a corn plant. It had hard stalks with plants shooting out of the top/side of the stalks. Well, at least it did til I thought I had killed it. I cut off the dead part last fall and just set the pot in my garage. All that was left basically were the three stalks in the pot. I noticed that there are now quite a few little green shoots coming up right at the dirt line. Should I cut the stalk down to the level of the shoots? Should I gently take the shoots off of the stalk and repot them? I'm thrilled that I get a second chance at this plant but want to make sure it survives this time. Thanks, Susan
Bucky
Brownville, NY
(Zone 4a)

June 6, 2001
12:33 PM

Post #80707

Wow! You're so lucky! It's always nice to find new growth on a plant you've given up on. For now, I think I'd wait to do anything drastic to the old stalks. Maybe just let the little shoots gain some strength first before you hack off the top. But this is just my opinion...hope it helps anyways...

Bucky
kiddiwinkles
Murfreesboro, TN

June 6, 2001
3:20 PM

Post #80767

I do appreciate your opinion. I guess I have a tendency to err on the cautious side which is why I stuck the pot in the garage instead of tossing it. I wanted to see if anyone thought I should do something drastic to make it respond faster. I'll be patient and see what happens. susan
CindyM
Agawam, MA

June 6, 2001
4:03 PM

Post #80797

Susan,
I'm really glad you posted this question - I have the same plant which is losing the top plants one by one. Could it be that maybe it is a problem with the roots? I just got mine from HD a couple of months ago and I think that the plants they sell are grown to look good right away, but might have immature root systems. If yours has new growth, maybe the root system has recovered and the plant will now thrive! Anyway, glad to hear of your good news and thanks for giving me hope!
Cindy
kiddiwinkles
Murfreesboro, TN

June 6, 2001
4:27 PM

Post #80803

Cindy,
I have had this particular plant for several years. My sister gave it to me when she had given up on it. Most of the top growth was brown but there was still some green. I trimmed off the brown and it did okay, although never as lush as those I saw in the stores. This fall, I just got fed up with trying to grow it. I guess this is one of those plants that seem to survive no matter what kind of care they get. Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever had one I bought from HD thrive. Of course, that could be my fault! Don't give up. I'm sure it will recover if mine is any indication. Susan
BotanyBob
Thousand Oaks, CA

June 7, 2001
5:53 AM

Post #81001

JOrchid is right... check the roots. Dracenas are very hardy normally and digging them up to look at the roots won't hurt them any. I have several species of Dracena in the ground and though they don't like the wet, cold winters here (they are very prone to rot- don't overwater, unless it's really warm and the soil drains very well!), once it's warm again you can do just about anything to them. If you have ones with dried or rotting tops, just hack them of and usually new growth will form at or below your cut. You can also cut them up into any length and usually they will reroot readily anywhere along the stem. These plants thrive on neglect, though they love heat and humid air, too. I have seen these plants field planted in Hawaii by the thousands. They just hack them off near the ground, plop them in pots unrooted, and sell them, or ship them to the mainland that way... and new plants grow up again.
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2001
3:31 PM

Post #81118

anyone has a picture of this so called 'corn plant'? I'm curious to see what it looks like.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America