Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Shed: Self Propelled Mowers

Communities > Forums > Garden Shed
bookmark
Forum: Garden ShedReplies: 16, Views: 443
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Howie
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 23, 2004
12:20 AM

Post #847095

What is your experience with them. I had one and it did not do worth a darn on our yard because of the hills. Are they all like this or did I just get a bum mower?

We are going to buy a new mower this weekend and I was just wondering what people have and what they think. And should I try the self propelled? Here is the one I was looking at. I could get the same thing with out the self propelled and easy start for half the price.

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=80289-270-12AF569O711
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2004
2:48 AM

Post #847251

What I'd look for is a rear-wheel drive...and only if the rear wheels were big ones...like a foot diameter. Also, look at the wheels...are they plastic or metal with real rubber on them? (The plastic ones will eventually crack.)

The gear drive should also be a metal sprocket (or an easily accessible hard rubber/plastic one) so when it wears out you can replace it yourself).

As for the HP, anything 5 HP and above will do you justice...that blade is only gonna spin just so fast anyway. (The Briggs engines are my favorites these days, some of them come with dipsticks so you can keep a better eye on the oil level, very handy to have. Also, the oil drain is easily accessible for changing the oil and usually has an extension so you don't "drain it" all over the side of the engine.)

Just my two freckles worth. (Then again, there's always a RIDING MOWER!) :>)

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2004
4:58 AM

Post #847438

Shhh ... That's what he would like. Our yard is too small to justify that though. ;)
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 23, 2004
5:32 AM

Post #847442

Don't justify indulge your self lol. Hey Howie hold out for a rider when I bought the first one my mowing days were over I drove it like a Winston cup car leaving strips of grass uncut Linda claimed it as her own and I rarely have to use it still today. I would rather nap than mow. Ernie
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2004
7:27 PM

Post #847912

Hear, hear, Ernie!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2004
9:12 PM

Post #847972

Hehehe...! Wish my DW was as easily swayed!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2004
9:33 PM

Post #847988

We are going to get the Troy-Bilt 6.5hp 21" cut push mower at Lowe's. It has a Briggs & Stratton motor.

We decided against a self-propelled one, and to save money. We might get a metal tool shed w/ the money we "saved", LOL. We have no place to store a mower or tools since our garage is gone - tired of rusty tools and rotten handles!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 23, 2004
11:39 PM

Post #848099

Well, I still say get one with big rear wheels...it REALLY makes a difference.

Congrats!
Frankay
Northport, ME
(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2004
1:18 AM

Post #848168

We have a commercial type Snapper with a wisconsin/robin 5hp. I used to mow with it. 4hrs to do back and front lawns. And I was dead afterwards. 2 years ago we got a 13hp rider wheelhorse. Done in 2 hours and I ride it. The Husqvarna Flymow hits the stuff I'd get killed on trying with the rider. Howie have you seen the John Deere ads of the guy with the 12X12 yard? Need a place to store it? Tarps are cheap. (Running and hiding from GWs attack now)
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2004
2:22 AM

Post #848233

Shoe is right about big rear wheels but Howie riders are dual purpose. Think of all the fun you can have going to lawn tractor pulls and races. Ernie

Howie
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2004
3:56 AM

Post #848361

Yep that would be fun. Our whole lot is on 40 x 140 and the house takes up a good part of that. So at last I don't think a rider is in the cards yet.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2004
4:15 AM

Post #848374

Well if your ever come to Everson you can just take a spin on the wardens lol. Ernie
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2004
3:19 PM

Post #848661

Anybody remember those "push" mowers that didn't have wheels? Once you cranked them up they floated on air above the ground. That would be perfect for Howie's hilly yard.

Wonder if they still make those.
eweed
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2004
4:35 PM

Post #848710

shoe I think they wer called flymos or flymows or something like that I havent seen one in years I think they lost out to weedeaters and big wheel mowers. Ernie

Back to the yard lots to do today
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2004
7:12 AM

Post #854353

Howie gave the new Troy-Bilt its maiden voyage. That mower started with ONE pull. One pull! We don't recall the Sears mower ever starting that well; I about ripped my rotator cuff trying to start that thing one time, dang thing.

Each time after he took a break today, Ol' Troy started right up with one pull. It's a little harder to maneuver with four small wheels, but Howie still a happy camper. It did a great job on the lawn, getting the little shallow dips and such.

I'd asked him to save the clippings for a lasagna bed, but the bag filled after only two swipes on the lawn and it was just too heavy for him to push that way.

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 30, 2004
7:16 AM

Post #854357

Argh argh argh!

Kinda bummed it's just plastic, but it's lightweight at least!

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 30, 2004
2:10 PM

Post #854526

Congrats! Ain't it nice when a motor cranks like it's s'posed to!?

Have fun mowing, Howie!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Shed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quick-Disconnects for garden hoses? darius 18 Oct 5, 2007 8:07 PM
A Man and His Tractor LadibugZ9 16 May 12, 2007 6:29 PM
Tractor on it's way!!!! whooo-hoooo!!! cici77 16 Apr 26, 2008 9:24 PM
Old Reliable CountryGardens 49 Apr 16, 2010 8:20 AM
Your thoughts on a Mantis? Kell 122 Apr 16, 2012 5:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America