Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

confederate jasmine

Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

This has to be my fav. Jasmine

Thumbnail by dixiechick
Prattville, AL(Zone 8a)

one more shot, same vine

Thumbnail by dixiechick
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Dixie I can smell it from here....ahhhhhhhh heavenly!

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

I wanted to show how my Confederate Jasmine climbed up the porch rail. It has a wonderful fragrance.

Karen

Thumbnail by gardener2005
Cape Coral, FL(Zone 10a)

I love your jasmine vines! Jasmine is my favorite - I have several diff. kinds, but I don't have the confederate vine yet. Have you found that it is a fast grower? I am looking for something to cover my chain link fence as quickly as possible - and I could use any excuse to buy another kind of jasmine :)

This is about two years of growth. It climbed to the top the first year and this year it it more filled out. We love it.

Karen

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

any tips on takinig cuttings? I was able to get my hands on some and I currently have the cuttings wrapped in a papertowel in water. It looks like it is doing good. boy, does it smell good. Thanks for any suggestions.
Dawn

I have never tried to root jasmine. If there is someone with more experience rooting jasmine we need your input.

If you want to try it you can cut the stem about 1/2 inch below a leaf junction and cut off the leaf there. Cut about a 8 in piece of vine with a few leaves on it. Dip the bottom of the cut end in rooting hormone and plant in fine grained potting soil and water it in. I like using a gallon pot because it gives the roots room to develope and the cutting can get some size on it before I set it out in the yard. Keep it in a filtered sunlight cool area for two or more weeks until you see new growth appearing. Then you can gradually move it out to get more sun and grow to a planting size.

I have talked to people who like rooting vines in water but I haven`t tried a lot of things this way.

Karen

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks gardener2005, i will try this
dawn

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Dawn, re;rooting. I have rooted cuttings in a "bottomless box" oustide with a wire grid cover holding clear plastic, tucked under the box - all in the shade. I used Rootone. Easier though has been to dig up rooted stems (luckily, I am not too tidy so there are pieces of the vine - I have the cv "Madison" - lying around). I'm sure you could do the 'wounding' technique and weighting the stem with a rock to encourage this rooting. Good luck. It's fabulous.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.