Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Dave's Garden FAQ: What's the difference between browsing and searching?

Communities > Forums > Dave's Garden FAQ
bookmark
Forum: Dave's Garden FAQReplies: 0, Views: 185
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2004
6:18 PM

Post #857953

We find that sometimes users get confused on whether to browse the Plants Database or the Garden Watchdog, or to use the "search" feature.

The easiest way I can describe it is analogous to shopping. (Don't laugh - they say you should always write about what you know best ;o)

If I go shopping in search of something, I am looking for one particular item (a specific brand of jeans or a pair of off-white dress shoes - in my size, of course; a new 12 oz. hammer, or an ingredient for a recipe.) I don't want to look at ALL the jeans or shoes in the department store, wander through the hardware store for a few hours, or walk up and down every aisle of the grocery store. I just want to see those that most closely match what I'm looking for, and the faster I can zero in on the item I'm in search of, the faster I can buy it and get back to what I was doing.

On the other hand, if I want to browse for something new to fix for dinner or a gift for my husband, I'm willing to amble around the grocery store, or maybe even several stores until I find something that I like and want to buy.

In the same way, if I'm searching for a particular plant, either one that has certain characteristics (e.g., 24" tall, blooms in the spring, is hardy to my zone, and requires average water), or by name, I don't want to see dozens, hundreds, or thousands of plants that aren't the right height, color, hardiness, etc. That's a job for the basic or advanced search features, as they can cull out everything that doesn't match my criteria.

In the Watchdog, I can type in a company's name (part or the whole name) to search for that particular company.

If I want to browse through all the Iris mailorder sources in the Watchdog, I can use the "browse" feature to choose those listed under Plants: Iris. If I want to nose through all the cultivars beginning with a certain letter, I can use the browse feature of the PDB to do that.

Hope that helps explain how to choose between browsing and searching, and whatever you tool you choose to use, happy hunting!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Dave's Garden FAQ Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
DG: About the origins of Dave's Garden lupinelover 46 Jan 23, 2010 1:24 AM
Can I post more than one image per message? Happenstance 19 Jul 24, 2007 12:58 AM
How do I create bold, italicized, and underlined text? tcfromky 51 Oct 21, 2009 3:13 AM
What are the differences between DG and GardenWeb? garlicgoddess 143 Jun 9, 2010 10:09 PM
Why do my messages all have "edit" under my username? Terry 5 Jan 27, 2008 8:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America