-
AuthorContent
Drew_N_Corinn
Pleasant Grove, UT
(Zone 6b)

May 5, 2004
4:50 AM

Post #859737

One of my neighbors swears by putting a clean disposable diaper plastic side down 6 to 10 inches below the bottom of the tomatoe transplant. I guess it is because of the watersorb in the diaper, the roots have a really good water supply down there? Anyone else tried this?
HotPepperDan
Flanders, NJ
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2004
7:23 PM

Post #860399

Drew, I would not ask Carolyn that, because she'll probably tell you not to forget the matchsticks(Books), birth control pills, lucky rabbits foot etc. I'm new to the game, but never heard of it or tried it, then again I have no children, so diapers are not high on my shopping list. If it works give it a shot, you could only learn by trying, and give us the feedback, and good luck with the tomatoes. Your gardening friend, Danny
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 6, 2004
2:36 AM

Post #860723

Why not try moisture control granules? Lot cheaper than diapers. Look it up at "Gardeners Supply".
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 6, 2004
2:53 AM

Post #860766

Actually, diapers work great in hanging baskets, keeping you from having to water daily (works great for when you want to take a fews days trip)!

Someone in the dry area of Calif put diapers in the planting hole of a shrub she planted in an effort to having to keep from watering so often. It worked great!

Basically the idea is the diaper holds water and as the soil around the plants roots dries out the water is absorbed back into the soil (capillary action).

ilovejesus99
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 8, 2004
1:57 AM

Post #862795

Also you can buy a 4 or 5 pk. of diapers at the dollar store. Probably not to good for baby wetness but plants we wouldn't want to keep there bottom too dry. This sounds like it is worth trying.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 8, 2004
7:50 PM

Post #863438

I think it's a clever idea - and so "charming" as well, lol!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America