-
AuthorContent
busy_bee_or
The Dalles, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 6, 2004
4:01 PM

Post #861356

I traded some plants and cuttings and received some nice passifloras. Apparantly there was an egg on one of the rooted P. caerulea leaves because I have been keeping them in the house and now have a caterpillar which I have identified as a Gulf Frittilary Butterfly caterpillar. I was worried that it would eat up all of my small rooted P. caerulea so I went out and bought a larger P. incarnata... LOL! So far it is really happy on its new vine and boy does it have an appetite! We have it in the house and are having fun watching it grow. My husband thinks that I'm nuts buying a plant for a caterpillar but there is no way that one caterpillar will eat all of the leaves... and then there is the bonus that I now have a hardy passiflora :) The only downside is that they are not native here so I don't think it will be able to reproduce.

Thumbnail by busy_bee_or
Click the image for an enlarged view.

crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 9, 2004
4:05 PM

Post #864363

Well aint that just neato!
You can build a cage for it outta screen and wood and feed it bananas and nectar mix. Pet butterflies are sooooooo pretty, hehe.
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2004
12:21 PM

Post #865113

hey, if you want, mail him to me! I'll care for it and it will have a chance to live out its butterfly life! (I butterfly garden)I have several passion vines for it to munch on (just a thought) ;0)
MaryE
Baker City, OR
(Zone 5b)

May 10, 2004
12:56 PM

Post #865140

I hope you take more pictures as this "baby" develops.
busy_bee_or
The Dalles, OR
(Zone 8b)

May 10, 2004
3:09 PM

Post #865255

It pigged out on my passion vine for 6 days and then started transforming into a crysalis. I will post a picture later today of what it looks like now.
Kittylover
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 20, 2007
1:42 PM

Post #3996731

I've had a bunch of these! I was hoping they were going to be something pretty. I had 4 passionflora vines - They killed them all - I did see lot of chrysalis - and I have had a lot of butterflies lately - do they look similar to the monarch?
CBernard
Perris, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2007
3:33 AM

Post #4000355

Dear Busy Bee,

For some reason I have had very few GF cats on my passies this year. This is the third winter I have had passies and I now have six (actually one didn't make it so I guess it is five). The first winter, I had a pretty good showing of GF cats which continued on until the next Fall 2006. This year as I said I have only had one or two cats. I am still in the process of learning more about these beautiful butterflies and their habits. Good Luck with your cat.

Thanks for sharing the photo,

Chuck
lostintexas
Abilene, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2007
6:07 PM

Post #4002257

Hey Kitty, they are pretty much the same color as the Monarch except do not have the black in them. Their underside has silver spots. They are really stunning when the wings are closed. I raised them this year and I would have to admit I underrated them until I raised them and got the close up. They are gorgeous and so sweet.

Leslie
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2007
6:11 PM

Post #4002271

I didn't think they actually killed the passiflora's. My next door neighbor has a few Passie's in containers and the catepillars eat the foliage, but the plants come back in spring.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM
Our Newest Giant Swallowtail Maydreams27 5 Jul 14, 2007 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America