Photo by Melody
We rolled out several small fixes on January 29. If you encounter any problems, please report them in the designated thread in the DG Site Updates forum.

PlantFiles Pictures: Royal Poinciana, Flamboyant Tree, Flame Tree, Peacock Flower, Gulmohar (Delonix

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 9, Views: 164
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2004
5:33 PM

Post #866524

Royal Poinciana, Flamboyant Tree, Flame Tree, Peacock Flower, Gulmohar
Delonix regia

Looking up from the base of the Royal Poinciana. Great from any angle.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2755/

Thumbnail by trois
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ANINA
Melbourne Beach, FL

June 15, 2004
12:37 AM

Post #910146

Learning to develop a Tropical Garden. I have planted three mangos; coconuts; avocados; figs; bananas; gardenia some diverse palm trees, also growing natives. I am in zone 9. The location is a barrier island in Central FL on the East side. Have a artesian well. RE: Royal Poinciana/Flamboyant. I planted one small tree and did not survive. But, I have seen two growing to a midium size a few blocks away. Any information on planting the seeds. Or other. Thanks!
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2004
3:06 AM

Post #910323

They do not tolerate temperatures below 40 degrees. Some winter protection is needed and many young trees die until they reach about 4 inches diameter. Even in Bermuda they lost their leaves in the winter. Try a few bales of hay and mulch deeply, up 3 or 4 feet during cold weather. I did that for my Orange trees here and they are fine now.

I hope this helps.

Trois
Porche
Orlando, FL

August 9, 2004
12:54 AM

Post #992720

I live in Orlando and we had a Yellow Poinciana in our front yard about 50' tall until our garbage truck caught it and pulled it right out of the ground. It was such a beautiful tree. We are trying to get it replaced and I really want a Royal Poinciana. Any chance it will be survive?
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2004
1:39 AM

Post #992806

I know nothing about Yellow Poinciania. Could you post a picture?
starshine
Bend, OR
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2004
6:37 AM

Post #993109

what a spectacular sight!

too cold where I'm from, but thank you for letting me enjoy it here... beautiful!!
Porche
Orlando, FL

August 10, 2004
2:28 AM

Post #994460

Our Yellow Poinciana. Sadly, on the ground.

This message was edited Monday, Aug 9th 10:38 PM

Thumbnail by Porche

Porche
Orlando, FL

August 10, 2004
2:29 AM

Post #994464

A close up of the flowers on the Yellow Poinciana.

Thumbnail by Porche

Porche
Orlando, FL

August 10, 2004
2:32 AM

Post #994466

An even closer image.

Thumbnail by Porche

trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2004
3:20 AM

Post #994540

That is so sad to lose a beautiful tree like that. Do you have seed from it? You could likely start on in a pot and plant it after a couple of years. Good luck, and thank you for the pictures.

Trois

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 8 Nov 17, 2014 3:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America