Royal Poinciana, Flamboyant Tree, Flame Tree, Peacock Flower, Gulmohar (Delonix

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Royal Poinciana, Flamboyant Tree, Flame Tree, Peacock Flower, Gulmohar
Delonix regia

Looking up from the base of the Royal Poinciana. Great from any angle.

Thumbnail by trois
Melbourne Beach, FL

Learning to develop a Tropical Garden. I have planted three mangos; coconuts; avocados; figs; bananas; gardenia some diverse palm trees, also growing natives. I am in zone 9. The location is a barrier island in Central FL on the East side. Have a artesian well. RE: Royal Poinciana/Flamboyant. I planted one small tree and did not survive. But, I have seen two growing to a midium size a few blocks away. Any information on planting the seeds. Or other. Thanks!

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

They do not tolerate temperatures below 40 degrees. Some winter protection is needed and many young trees die until they reach about 4 inches diameter. Even in Bermuda they lost their leaves in the winter. Try a few bales of hay and mulch deeply, up 3 or 4 feet during cold weather. I did that for my Orange trees here and they are fine now.

I hope this helps.

Trois

Orlando, FL

I live in Orlando and we had a Yellow Poinciana in our front yard about 50' tall until our garbage truck caught it and pulled it right out of the ground. It was such a beautiful tree. We are trying to get it replaced and I really want a Royal Poinciana. Any chance it will be survive?

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I know nothing about Yellow Poinciania. Could you post a picture?

Bend, OR(Zone 6a)

what a spectacular sight!

too cold where I'm from, but thank you for letting me enjoy it here... beautiful!!

Orlando, FL

Our Yellow Poinciana. Sadly, on the ground.

This message was edited Monday, Aug 9th 10:38 PM

Thumbnail by Porche
Orlando, FL

A close up of the flowers on the Yellow Poinciana.

Thumbnail by Porche
Orlando, FL

An even closer image.

Thumbnail by Porche
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

That is so sad to lose a beautiful tree like that. Do you have seed from it? You could likely start on in a pot and plant it after a couple of years. Good luck, and thank you for the pictures.

Trois

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images