Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

PlantFiles Pictures: Royal Poinciana, Flamboyant Tree, Flame Tree, Peacock Flower, Gulmohar (Delonix

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 9, Views: 164
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 11, 2004
5:33 PM

Post #866524

Royal Poinciana, Flamboyant Tree, Flame Tree, Peacock Flower, Gulmohar
Delonix regia

Looking up from the base of the Royal Poinciana. Great from any angle.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2755/

Thumbnail by trois
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ANINA
Melbourne Beach, FL

June 15, 2004
12:37 AM

Post #910146

Learning to develop a Tropical Garden. I have planted three mangos; coconuts; avocados; figs; bananas; gardenia some diverse palm trees, also growing natives. I am in zone 9. The location is a barrier island in Central FL on the East side. Have a artesian well. RE: Royal Poinciana/Flamboyant. I planted one small tree and did not survive. But, I have seen two growing to a midium size a few blocks away. Any information on planting the seeds. Or other. Thanks!
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 15, 2004
3:06 AM

Post #910323

They do not tolerate temperatures below 40 degrees. Some winter protection is needed and many young trees die until they reach about 4 inches diameter. Even in Bermuda they lost their leaves in the winter. Try a few bales of hay and mulch deeply, up 3 or 4 feet during cold weather. I did that for my Orange trees here and they are fine now.

I hope this helps.

Trois
Porche
Orlando, FL

August 9, 2004
12:54 AM

Post #992720

I live in Orlando and we had a Yellow Poinciana in our front yard about 50' tall until our garbage truck caught it and pulled it right out of the ground. It was such a beautiful tree. We are trying to get it replaced and I really want a Royal Poinciana. Any chance it will be survive?
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2004
1:39 AM

Post #992806

I know nothing about Yellow Poinciania. Could you post a picture?
starshine
Bend, OR
(Zone 6a)

August 9, 2004
6:37 AM

Post #993109

what a spectacular sight!

too cold where I'm from, but thank you for letting me enjoy it here... beautiful!!
Porche
Orlando, FL

August 10, 2004
2:28 AM

Post #994460

Our Yellow Poinciana. Sadly, on the ground.

This message was edited Monday, Aug 9th 10:38 PM

Thumbnail by Porche

Porche
Orlando, FL

August 10, 2004
2:29 AM

Post #994464

A close up of the flowers on the Yellow Poinciana.

Thumbnail by Porche

Porche
Orlando, FL

August 10, 2004
2:32 AM

Post #994466

An even closer image.

Thumbnail by Porche

trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 10, 2004
3:20 AM

Post #994540

That is so sad to lose a beautiful tree like that. Do you have seed from it? You could likely start on in a pot and plant it after a couple of years. Good luck, and thank you for the pictures.

Trois

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 8 Nov 17, 2014 3:08 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America