PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

May 17, 2004
6:37 PM

Post #873597

Question to the H. multiflora owners out there:
Does yours keep or throw the flower peduncle after the blooms faded and fell off?

My variegated multiflora until now has always "thrown" the peduncle after flowering.
Gemila
Decatur, IN
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2004
7:03 PM

Post #873620

My variagated one kept the same peduncle and bloomed about 4 or 5 times out of the same one. Then it started turning yellow and fell off but is quickly growing peduncle on the next node.

The regular one has done the same, blooms several times from the same peduncle and then it yellows and fall off. At first I thought I was doing something wrong but its been doing this and the rest of the plant is fine. In my observations, I've noticed it just as the plant is starting a growth spurt.
PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

May 17, 2004
7:23 PM

Post #873648

Mine is steadily growing and has a peduncle on each new node (usually 2-3 peduncles with flowers open), yet it will throw the peduncle shortly after the first blooms fell off.
Gemila do you know the origin of your variegated one?
Mine is from Paul Shirley GPS8121.

Gemila
Decatur, IN
(Zone 5a)

May 17, 2004
8:14 PM

Post #873707

Mine is also from Paul Shirley. I also ordered the 'speckled'(?) as part of a group order but the three cuttings we ordered were too tender to make the long trip without any moisture. None made it but I was lucky to save the variagated ones.
PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

May 17, 2004
8:45 PM

Post #873726

Yeah it's best to ask Paul to put the tender ones in ziploc bags. Worked reasonably good last year when a shipment took over 10 days to arrive.
Didn't even see the multiflora 'speckles' until now, too bad you lost yours.
I wonder why mine is throwing? Maybe it just prefers growing instead of keeping the peduncles.
jerodsmom
Livermore, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 17, 2004
11:16 PM

Post #873910

I found that when I kept my multiflora's consistenly wet, they would keep their blooms. Before I started doing that, they would drop every bloom.

Patricia
PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

May 18, 2004
12:13 AM

Post #873964

Patricia, I'm not talking about it blasting the flowers. It blooms happily as you can see on the attached picture.
I'm talking about it dropping the flower stalk once the flowers had bloomed and faded first time around
I first thought that it depends on possible variations of multiflora but that theory has proven as false since Gemila got hers from the same source and hers keeps the peduncle for repeated flowering.
Still want to hear from other multiflora owners (would be good if the source of it is also mentioned)

Milan

Thumbnail by PanamonCreel
Click the image for an enlarged view.

weeding
Peachtree City, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2004
2:44 AM

Post #874117

My Multiflora keeps the peduncle for repeat blooms. Once the flowers fade and fall, it sends out another set of blooms on the same peduncle.
Cindy

Thumbnail by weeding
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 18, 2004
3:01 AM

Post #874142

The H. multiflora clones I have (a big almost camellia type leaf and a long narrow leafed one) bloom on the same peduncles over and over. I have never noticed if they discard them after a couple of blooms or not...I will have to look :o)
Crasulady2
Valley Village, CA

May 18, 2004
5:41 AM

Post #874292

Multiflora is not listed as succulent, perhaps that is why I must give it more water than the rest of my other Hoya.
PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

May 18, 2004
1:25 PM

Post #874492

LOL Norma, one look at a multiflora and one should know that it's not a succulent. Even me with a "succulent revisionist thinking" would not even remotely place it as a succulent.

Possibly my multiflora puts all energy into growing tall instead of keeping the peduncles after flowering.
I guess I finally have to get my courage together and chop the top of my 5 foot some single multiflora stem :(.
Hopefully that will give it a slap on its behind to finally branch out and keep the peduncles :).
karen_nyc
New York, NY

May 18, 2004
3:39 PM

Post #874964

My multiflora (from Logee's) blooms four or five times from the same peduncle before it yellows and falls off. Then a new peduncle appears. It consistently maintains two peduncles. Beautiful plant, Milan.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

May 18, 2004
6:04 PM

Post #875117

Milan...guess what is also screaming "Milan, Milan"? LOL
PanamonCreel
Celaya
Mexico
(Zone 10a)

May 18, 2004
7:36 PM

Post #875215

LOL soon gonna need ear plugs to sleep :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hoyas Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Carol Noel order just came in. Dianne492 14 Oct 6, 2008 12:55 AM
Collection of your favorite informational Hoya links PanamonCreel 20 Dec 14, 2009 11:56 PM
Variegated & Green leaf on Kerrii ACsAgapePlants 4 Mar 2, 2009 3:29 AM
Big leaves meltn 75 Jul 14, 2007 3:14 PM
Hoya Jackpot in Vegas!! ACsAgapePlants 26 Apr 13, 2008 10:08 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America