Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Roses: Oooooooh, dead rose walking

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 1, Views: 300
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cena

June 7, 2001
7:08 AM

Post #6081

I am not sure what I am doing with these things, but restricted myself to NOT ACQUIRING for at least a year keeping a mini rose alive. Okay, on the home front, found a heavy bearer rose, managed to keep it into it's third blooming season for me.

Okay, I have four others that ARE NOT suffering the same symtoms. This one rose is an extremely heavy bearer. I noticed the same symtoms last year but put it down to my inexperience. This one rose had over 22 buds on one stem. About 1/3 to 1/2 of them opened then the whole plant deteriorated and started dropping. Not knowing what to do, I did nothing, but keep watering. Now all the foliage looks Crispy Fried and if you even sneeze in it's direction it looses leaves. The stems are still green and firm. But what to do in the meantime?

I recently replanted all the rest as I had some in Terra Cotta, and smaller pots, and wanted them all in good 'rose' soil and similar pots. Super drainage, bonemeal, perlite, vermiculite, oyester shell, Supersoil, their very own Fungus Gnats (oh, that's another post). But this one I did not repot. It's been in the same pot for 2 1/2 years.

There seems to be no Black Spot issues, no powdery mildew, no excessive aphids, I have LB nymphs, and lots and lots of spiders. The rest of the buds never did open, and like I said, looks like a good sneeze would send it off in the wind. What is it, and how do it prevent it next year?

HELP!

Cena

Rosie163
Fort Smith, AR
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2001
4:41 PM

Post #81130

Two suggestions. Could be root bound after 21/2 years in the same pot while continually growing. If that is the case, it can't take up enough water to sustain growth. That would cause the leaves to "krispy" . Secondly, I've noticed the "krispy" leaf effect on potted roses that had spider mites.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America