Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Talk: HELP! HUBBY IS KILLING OUR TOMATOES!

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 3, Views: 133
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
susan28X
Locust Grove, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2001
11:34 AM

Post #6086

WE BOUGHT 6 TOMATO PLANTS A FEW WEEKS AGO. MY HUBBY HAS DECIDED HE WANTS THE BIGGEST TOMATOES THIS SIDE OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER! HE PUT COW MANURE ON THEM, DEER MANURE ON THEM, AND ALSO 10-10-10 FERTILIZERS. HE'S KILLING THEM WITH KINDNESS! IF I PUT SOME LIME ON THEM WILL IT NEUTRILIZE SOME OF THE FERTILIZER AND POOP? THEY ARE GROWING SO FAST THAT THE LEAVES ARE ACTUALLY CURLING UP! THEY HAVE GOLF BALL SIZE MATERS RIGHT NOW, AND I DON'T WANT THEM TO DIE BEFORE THEY RIPEN. CAN ANYONE HELP?
CoCo

June 7, 2001
12:56 PM

Post #81073

they blooming yet? I think I would transplant them somewhere else and let all that manure decompose before planting anything else there...hey hubby...if all else fails read directions first. My hubby never reads directions first then wonders why later. Are all men like that? I think I would transplant them to a new location away from hubby. Some one may have better advise for you tho...Too much manure will burn the plants...will it not...you experts out there in garden land.
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2001
2:44 PM

Post #81102

uh what are directions?? are they the papers that we throw out when we open a box to get at the item?? who needs them? LOL

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2001
12:35 AM

Post #81635

He added way to much nitrogen,If they live he'll have the biggest,greenest, tomato plants you'll ever see,but at the same time they won't bear much fruit!can you pull the manure away from the plants?Was it Fresh?If not then it won't kill the plants .

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America