Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Seed Trading: Wanted- Razzmatazz Echinacea seed's

Communities > Forums > Seed Trading
bookmark
Forum: Seed TradingReplies: 23, Views: 649
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dixiechick
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2004
3:55 AM

Post #881238

If anyone has any of these seed available I would like to do some trading or SASE. (I don't need many) just want enuff to get a start, AWESOME Flower's :-)
I have a some "Kim's Knee High" almost ready I can trade.

THx, Carol
Gardengirl1204
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2004
1:20 PM

Post #881532

I second the request from dixiechick. I posted this request a month or so ago and got a response saying they thought that the seeds may not be true ones. But if they are, I'd love to get some for SASE or trade.
gloriag
Floyd, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2004
10:22 PM

Post #887299

Dixiechick,

I would surely love the razamatazz echinacea; my mangus will bloom in a week or so. I could trade those seeds with you.
Also, go to Garden Web and click on ensatagirl at member trades and see if there is anything you are interested in.

Strever
Hiouchi, CA
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2004
5:09 AM

Post #887786

a Google search only turns up plants no seeds
here is an interesting article about it

Echinacea purpurea "Razzmatazz"
from Jan van Winsen
Only 10,000 plants produced worldwide in 2004
This uniquely formed variation on a classic plant sees the cone replaced by a full pom-pom shaped head of petals.

Height: 35/ 88cm
Spread: 15/ 38cm
Hardiness: US zones 3-8
Blooms: July-August

Introduced: 2003
Common name: Coneflower
Patent status: USA PP #13,894. Europe, PPAF

It's the variety everybody wants to get their hands on. So when E. 'Razzmatazz' was put on display at a nursery trade show in England, a little help was enlisted from the local police force.

pict from http://www.plantspotters.com/download.do/id/1001412/

Thumbnail by Strever
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2004
6:07 AM

Post #887834

Well, it definitely is beautiful and I can see why so many people want to get their hands on it! Wonder how they did it! (looks like a cross of a zinnia and a coneflower, or this other plant I have that starts with an "m" (can never remember it's name) that is red, and forms pom poms & a coneflower.

Very exquisite looking!
dixiechick
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2004
8:25 AM

Post #887881

strever, Thx for the info...guess I should seek the plant's but, was hoping someone had them growing already and had a few seed's to spare...

The search continues...

Thx, Carol

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2004
1:28 PM

Post #888024

I suspect this plant won't grow true from seed, which is one of the reasons it remains so expensive to buy (the other one being it's probably patented, which means all commercial sellers must pay a royalty to sell it.) Many purists have snubbed it because it looks overly-hybridized.

To me, it looks like a monarda collided with a coneflower - definitely interesting (but I think I'll wait until the price comes down to snag it...)
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

May 31, 2004
1:22 AM

Post #890449

It's a hybrid, right? So all you're going to get from seeds is mutt coneflowers, not Razzmatazz. Aren't Kim's Kneehigh and Magnus also a hybrids? You'd get the same thing from those seeds if so.
dixiechick
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2004
5:24 AM

Post #890722

hummmm, WOW! One of the reasons I love this pace...i'm learning soooooo much! thanks everyone

Carol
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2004
5:50 AM

Post #890738

this is what i found in google http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?catalogId=10067&storeId=10151&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=49640
miss_kitty
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9b)

May 31, 2004
7:59 AM

Post #890814

found them here too:
http://flowervillefarms.safeshopper.com/46/844.htm?615
cheaper than wayside
and they've got 100% positive in the GWD (out of just 2 comments, though)
dixiechick
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 31, 2004
2:04 PM

Post #890998

Thx, Ma Vie & miss_kitty...I'll be putting an order in soon...Think I'll go with flowervillefarms...I ordered some stuff from Wayside not long ago evrything has made it so far but, plants were much smaller and not all I hoped for...

Thx, Carol
hugeposiepatch
Clearfield, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 1, 2004
10:12 AM

Post #891976

Hi Dixiechick, Flowervillefarms don't have it anymore--they had crop failure.
miss_kitty
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9b)

June 1, 2004
10:19 AM

Post #891978

oo.. and i just noticed
they've got a $30 minimum order, also
..hrm.. gotta hate that
dixiechick
Prattville, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 1, 2004
4:49 PM

Post #892550

AWWWWW... POOOO WEEEE...

Looks like im gonna have to go with Wayside again... Crossing my fingers to find it somewhere else...
Didnt really like the small plants I got from them.

Thx for all the info & help everybody

Thx, Carol
AngelG1111
Frisco, TX

July 31, 2007
9:47 PM

Post #3802376

I just recently got one of my Razzmatazz blooms ready to pull for seeds. I was so anxious to check it out. I was only able to get 5 seeds from that bloom. It was brown as can be and the stalk also so I know it was dried enough. I am waiting on others to fade so I can check them too.

I hate to tell you guys this but my local Lowes in Frisco, Tx had about 8 of these plants for 8.00 each recently. I bought mine there and I havent liked it as much as I thought. The blooms go from a pretty color to a faded pink fairly quickly. When I compare this plant to my Double Delight Coneflower it fails miserably. The Double Delight grows compact and has so many blooms at once it is crazy!! I have 3 of those plants and I'm waiting on some blooms to fade to get a few seeds to test also. I have recently lost one of my 2 Razzmatazz plants but all 3 of my Double Delights are still going strong.

So if you can find a DDelight choose that one over the Razzmatazz in my opinion.

I'll keep trying to get seeds for both though for you guys that want some.

Angela
distantkin
Saint Cloud, MN
(Zone 4b)

August 7, 2007
2:21 AM

Post #3826768

Guess what I just got guys!!
I traded some bee balm for Razzmatazz-the plant is still in shock but picked up its leaves today for the first time. I am spoiling it!
My trader friend also sent the flower heads that were on it before she shipped..they are drying as we speak. I will only have a few seeds this year-but if someone wants to trade for a few seeds-I can still do it. I was planning on planting these seeds to see what I got in the spring. Let me know what you think.
Thanks, distantkin
distantkin
Saint Cloud, MN
(Zone 4b)

August 10, 2007
4:22 PM

Post #3840475

OK-I just got a few Razzmatazz seeds from the only buds I will have this year (my plant arrived very ill and am nursing it back to health :o(

I have packs of 5 (sorry about the small number-but I only got a few and I want to share them with several people) Razzmatazz seeds for best offer. Please D-mail me. No SASE please.
Moofiepoo
Orlando, FL

March 10, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #4646174

Those are pretty...what fun. I will have to look and see if I have anything extra special hidden away...goin lookin.
starting2luvz4
Monticello, IA

March 11, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #4650969

Jim Ault, the foremost breeder of the coneflowers everyone now wants is fascinating in person. I went to a class he had in Chicago. Many of these new coneflowers were created by clonal propagation down to genotypes and tissue culture although he did create hybrid meadowbrite by hand pollination. Plant sellers LOVE these kind of hybrids because average gardeners cannot reproduce them and thus have to go to a seller. I've sown my seeds in a nursery bed, not really caring if they revert back to common Echinacea purpurea since butterfly's just don't seem to care but I am fascinated to see if God has the better hand and will make a cross that will enchant me :).

This is the third year I have meadowbrite, razzmatazz and sundown. I now have enough for me to play with. I am going to try to propagate with root cuttings since they will have the same genetic makeup. Robbi, remind me this fall you like these and I will send some babies, Razz for some reason has less new starts than others but I will have a few to share.
distantkin
Saint Cloud, MN
(Zone 4b)

March 11, 2008
7:26 PM

Post #4651188

Yippeee-I have/had a Razz!! ...am waiting to see how it does :oP I would love another!!!

It had seeded wonderfully and was my only coneflower so I am hoping the seeds were Razz! This is an old thread-my Razz is now under 2 feet of snow with my white swap and twilight-LOL

Wishing Princess Kathy peace!!
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

March 13, 2008
9:38 PM

Post #4659790

There is no such thing as Razzmatazz seeds. These are hybrids (see starting's post above.) Planting seeds from Razzmatazz plants will give you mutts, not Razzmatazz.
starting2luvz4
Monticello, IA

March 13, 2008
10:03 PM

Post #4659884

Thank goodness God's hand creates mutt diversity in nature that is then discovered and marketed :). I'm such a mutt I can howl - Mutt's unite! I think I heard somewhere Razz is sterile so you might be surprised what comes up when you plant seeds :). I have little babies all over the feet of the six I bought. I will put "Adopted by Robbi" on a couple until they are big enough to share (and this blessed snow melts lol). I just discovered enchinacea is in the sunflower family... Not so hard to uunderstand this shape now is it? Look - it's a pink teddy bear sunflower :). BTW, I got my Razz from wayside Gardens

Domain: Eukaryota Whittaker & Margulis,1978 - eukaryotes
Kingdom: Plantae Haeckel, 1866 - Plants
Subkingdom: Viridaeplantae Cavalier-Smith, 1981 - Green Plants
Phylum: Tracheophyta Sinnott, 1935 ex Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Vascular Plants
Subphylum: Spermatophytina (auct.) Cavalier-Smith, 1998 - Seed Plants
Infraphylum: Angiospermae auct.
Class: Magnoliopsida Brongniart, 1843 - Dicotyledons
Subclass: Asteridae Takhtajan, 1967
Superorder: Asteranae Takhtajan, 1967
Order: Asterales Lindley, 1833
Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ay) Dumortier, 1822 - Sunflower Family
Subfamily: Trollioideae
Tribe: Delphinieae
Genus: Echinacea (ek-in-AY-shee-uh) Moench, Methodus. 591. 1794. - Purple coneflower [Latin, echinus, sea urchin, alluding to spiny tips of receptacular paleae]
Specific epithet: purpurea (Linnaeus) Moench
Cultivar: Razzmatazz
Botanical name: Echinacea purpurea 'Razzmatazz'
distantkin
Saint Cloud, MN
(Zone 4b)

March 13, 2008
11:38 PM

Post #4660156

Heary-just an FYI-I called them Razz because they were only with Razz and were pollinated by other Razz. I have had a friend who planted and grew these very same seeds, and it looked identical to a Razz. He lives in Sydney so his are now dying off.

zone4lover-Thanks-I love all mutts!! LOL:oP

May Princess Kathy love mutts too!

This message was edited Mar 13, 2008 6:38 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Seed Trading Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My seeds Holly 7 Dec 7, 2010 4:21 AM
wanted orange coneflower SEEDLADY 22 Aug 31, 2007 5:28 AM
Have: Primula Elatior, Mesembryanthemum, Cuphea Ignea babalu 9 May 3, 2010 10:57 AM
looking for mimosa tree seeds (pods) jishro 53 Jan 20, 2011 5:03 PM
Another source for SASE seeds Terry 32 Jun 7, 2011 8:05 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America