Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tomatoes: Tomato seedlings

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 6, Views: 433
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 7, 2001
6:31 PM

Post #6105

Hi all...I just had some tomato seeds sprout (had vowed to plant them for this year and forgot til recently!) Would I be better off to plant them in a container this late? I received the seeds in a trade, she called them 'Yellow Cocktail Pear'...and I live in Zone 4. Any opinions appreciated!

paulgrow

paulgrow
Allen Park, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 7, 2001
9:40 PM

Post #81211

Nan:
Why don't you try a few both ways; if you get any early frost in the fall you can move the containers into the garage over night. I think most tomatoes mature in 60-80 days.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2001
11:34 PM

Post #81251

I think the tomato that you have should do fine either way.
They are a small cherry type with a distinctive pear shape.
One of the oldest heirloom tomatoes recorded.give them a cage or stake as they will get pretty 'viney' and they will produce till frost. If you put one in a container,you can bring it in like paulgrow suggested.I even cover mine in the garden with blankets...here in zone 7 that means tomatoes still on the vine at Thanksgiving!
sunflower
Olive Branch, MS
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2001
12:08 AM

Post #81269

Be sure you have enough support for this tomato if you decide to container grow it. Mine grew 10+ feet last year. I had it trellised up with the cucumbers and it made a nice salad with them. It outproduced my ability to keep up with it, so consequently, this year I have a few seedlings here and there in the garden from it. It's a monster tomato vine!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2001
12:37 AM

Post #81282

sunflower's right...be prepared for gazillions of little tasty 'maters!

I'm figuring that your zone 4 will keep the kudzu like vine from covering you up.But here in the South...It's an Energizer Bunny...it keep going and going...

You should have a more manageable plant as your days and nights are much cooler than this steam bath!We couldn't hardly breathe outside today for the steam.
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 8, 2001
5:19 PM

Post #81507

Thanks guys!! I think I will try it both ways then...so far I've only 4 seedlings...so will try 2&2...kudzu like, eh?? It shouldn't get too 'rampant' here...although July and August get pretty 'steamy' around here, too...Thanks for your great info though...hopefully I'll have plenty to share then!
outofcontrol
Madison, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 16, 2001
4:51 PM

Post #83830

Hi Nan, I too live in Zone 4 and it is NEVER too late! We have to stretch our season for as long as possible even if it is in our own minds! But have you noticed that our season seems to be elongating itself anyways,(global warming perhaps?)I usually have tomatoes well into September, and some make it until October. They just seem to know when it is time to poop out. Mine rarely make it to the first frost, but by then, I am swimming in tomatoes, and have canned already. July and August are amazing months for tomatoes here. Any late starters catch up in a hurry. We really don't have snow all year, it gets very, very hot in the summer. I agree with paulgrow, try different methods. I grow about 80 plants in pots, and about 40 in the ground. Both methods work great! And like the rest stated, be prepared to stake! Good luck!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America