Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

PlantFiles Pictures: Smooth Mountain Prickly Pear, Indian Fig, Mission Cactus, Tuberous Prickly Pear

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 4, Views: 42
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Xenomorf

Xenomorf
Valley of the Sun, AZ
(Zone 9b)

May 25, 2004
8:23 PM

Post #884715

Smooth Mountain Prickly Pear, Indian Fig, Mission Cactus, Tuberous Prickly Pear, Nopal
Opuntia ficus-indica

The perfect age for picking. No spines or glochids are on the pads at this age, only the vestigial leaves. In Phoenix, AZ, zone 9a/9b

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/56266/

Thumbnail by Xenomorf
Click the image for an enlarged view.

olski
San Diego, CA

September 23, 2013
3:15 PM

Post #9668233

Phytoplasma Opuntia infection?

Hello Xenomorf and you cactae experts. I have a problem and palmbob has helped so far. My prickly pear has the "cooties". I'm making light of it but I think I may have to destroy this 5 year old 6'x6' plant.

My Opuntia just started growing half moon pads, no fruit, prolific multiple buds at the same location. Also buds are starting in the middle of the pad. I also see these brown grasshoppers hanging out. Can someone educate me really quickly? My plant is 6 feet tall and has been normal for 5 years. Research says that this problem is spreading in Mexico and they call it "Planta Macho" or male plant (because it does not produce fruit). Studies show fear of spreading and serious impact on prickly pear crops and other species.

This page pretty much describes the problem:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:8DssifWaAtoJ:www.thescipub.com/pdf/10.3844/ojbsci.2009.62.66 &cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

or search pdf title:

Detection of Phytoplasma on Indian Fig (Opuntia ficus-indica Mill)
in Mexico Central Region

Any advise or can you recommend where I should get advise. Help!!!

Thumbnail by olski   Thumbnail by olski   Thumbnail by olski   Thumbnail by olski   Thumbnail by olski
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Xenomorf

Xenomorf
Valley of the Sun, AZ
(Zone 9b)

September 23, 2013
7:16 PM

Post #9668412

Are you growing these plants for the purpose of fruit? or to eat the edible pads? Or just to have in your garden/landscape? Or what?
I have never had this until this year on my Opuntia engelmannii v. subarmata. I considered the new growth that's infected a new Form, namely a Monstrose form. After all, that's what causes Cristate and Monstrose forms in plants is a virus that somehow affects the genetic code (I think).
If you don't want the mutated pads, then I would pluck them off. I don't think I would get rid of the whole plant "yet". See if that does the trick, and if it dosen't, then I would resort to more drastic measures next sprouting season (probably next spring).
olski
San Diego, CA

September 24, 2013
10:30 AM

Post #9669015

Thanks for the quick response. I grow for landscape appeal, fruit and nopales. That was the vision for my entire landscape: To eat or harvest as much as possible for decoration and consumption. I agree. I will cut the weirdness and pray for fruit next year. I also recommend put slug and snail bait around the your cactus to minimize infection. Good luck and thanks again.

Olski
olski
San Diego, CA

September 24, 2013
10:35 AM

Post #9669023

Most of the research is not favorable regarding this mutation. It results in impotent plants, hyper-aggressive growth and often plant declination. Be sure to sanitize your cutting tools and be sure to clean your tools between cutting multiple plants.

Olski

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America