-
AuthorContent
delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2004
6:58 PM

Post #885767

Hi! I am a new member. I have a large yard but also do containers. I recently got into doing mini-gardens with different themes. Is anyone else doing this? Here is my first one, a Victorian theme. I have also done a cabin in the "mountains." I am working on a Japanese theme and a Mary garden right now.

Thumbnail by delphiniumdiva
Click the image for an enlarged view.

drop
Dublin, OH
(Zone 5a)

May 27, 2004
7:21 PM

Post #885786

Wow!

First of all, welcome. And then, wow. I'd never thought of doing something like that. Being a newbie myself, that is not surprising. Good job, delphiniumdivia! Did you build all the structure and fence? Does it take much maintaining? I am thinking lots of trimming to keep the plant proportion to the structure and path.
celia
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2004
7:26 PM

Post #885791

That is REALLY sharp!!! What plant is that in the upper left-hand corner?
delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2004
7:54 PM

Post #885829

Thanks for all the kudos! I must say - this was not my idea, I saw it in an old garden magazine at the vet's office! There is also a book out by somebody on miniature gardens - I saw it the other day on Amazon. Maybe I should see what the author says about maintenance. I'm sure I'll be doing a bit of trimming, but I like that kind of thing. Not like I have to get out the hedge shears or anything!

In the upper left is a Japanese Holly, some form of ilex, that I picked up in a gallon pot at Home Depot. I shook off most of the soil from the roots like you would a bonsai, and gave it a trim. I am keeping them all in morning sun, afternoon shade, under the eaves of my house to protect from hard rain.
Here is a pic of my "mountain retreat." About as close as I can get to the mountains without driving 10 hours!

Liz

delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2004
7:56 PM

Post #885833

And here's my "Japanese" garden. Still looking for one of those little lanterns to add to it.

delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2004
7:59 PM

Post #885837

Oh, yeah. I forgot - I built the fence out of popsicle sticks. I bought the Victorian gazebo - its really a birdhouse from a craft store. So is the mountain cabin. I made the Japanese arch myself.
nathalyn
Knoxville, TN
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2004
8:20 PM

Post #885848

That is one of the neatest things that I have seen in a long time!
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2004
8:34 PM

Post #885862

Oh how neat!!
celia
Cleveland, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2004
9:11 PM

Post #885903

Those are also way cool!!! I especially like the Mexican Heather.
handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2004
11:09 PM

Post #886004

they are really special! do you have easy instructions for any of us who might like to try? like dimensions, what do you do in the winter? etc? i think i'd like to make a desert-scape or mini rock garden!
faronell
Henderson, NV
(Zone 8b)

May 27, 2004
11:47 PM

Post #886045

WOW!!!...Very creative and very impressive.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 27, 2004
11:48 PM

Post #886046

Liz, those are so CUTE! :)

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

May 28, 2004
2:35 AM

Post #886278

Wow, Liz! That's like taking the miniature dollhouse craft right out into a real garden!
delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 28, 2004
12:51 PM

Post #886758

Wow - thanks for all the compliments! I am feeling quite puffed up! I find that they are very relaxing and a nice break from "heavy" gardening, which I can't do right now b/c of a pinched nerve. Also, it allows me to have one of each garden style that I like - which is all of them, instead of having to choose just one! Anyway, here are some basic how tos for anyone who wants to do one of these.

The boxes I use are knocked together (by me, with a power drill and a few screws) out of old fence boards, with scraps of 1/4 inch plywood on the bottom. I just make the bottom a bit too small to leave a crack for drainage. I put some screen or mulch on the bottom and then fill with light potting soil. The plants are just small leaved assorted stuff that seems right for the theme. The tiny rocks (they look exactly like marble chips!) are from Michaels Arts and Crafts - they come in different natural colors. Aquarium gravel would prob. work too, but its a bit bigger. I use craft moss to cover the gaps between stuff and cover the soil to keep it from washing away. Oh, and I put lots of sand under anyplace where I'm going to use the tiny rocks to keep them from sinking into the soil. Some of the rocks and things are hot-glued into place, but I need to find a better method b/c the hot glue comes undone in the weather.

The boxes are from 5 to 8 inches deep, and about 18-20 inches square, or rectangular, so there's lots of root room. They are HEAVY! So I put them where I want them to go before I fill them up with stuff! I have one of those cheapo watering systems from Walmart and I've aimed misters so they get lightly watered every morning. I have no idea how long they will last and I'm sure I should be doing more to preserve the wooden parts, but I'm doing this for fun so I don't bother. I do spray the wooden "bits" with several coats of outdoor paint or polyurethane to help, but with our humid summers I sure they will rot in a few years, but by then I'll have made more so I don't worry about it!

Here is a pic of my current project - a Mary garden. I want to add a fence all the way around and an archway. The bricks and the raised bed are made of terra cotta colored Amaco brand Mexican pottery clay - great stuff, you can roll it, cut it, etc and it even comes in different colors, like "marble" and "granite". Air dries too! Michaels carries that too.

The two little "shrubs" in front are thyme. The "tree" behind Mary is a tea tree - some variety of serrisa. The flowering shrubs are heather - it looks amazingly like tiny azaleas. The "urns" are wooden pieces painted to look like old bronze or copper. I glue skewers to the bottom to make them stay in place. Same with the statue of Mary which is actually spray painted plastic. The pathway came from Home Depot in a ready made strip. I thinks its meant for ceramic tile borders.

Sorry about this prodigious long post, but I am all enthused about my "babies" right now!

Gardengirl1204
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2004
2:09 PM

Post #886861

These are absolutely beautiful!!!! You need to get into a garden show and sell them. WONDERFUL!!!
handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 28, 2004
8:38 PM

Post #887177

thank you so much for the making/planting info! i'll start saving those 40% off coupons and scrap wood! yeah!!!!
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 28, 2004
11:25 PM

Post #887346

You should try Hypertufa containers. A lady gave a class on it at county fair grounds. She is doing the same as you are. The containers will grow moss. You already have the Art part. Nice work
TuttiFrutti
Spokane Valley, WA
(Zone 5b)

May 29, 2004
1:07 AM

Post #887467

Delph-Diva, you have every right to feel 'puffed up'! And Darius wrote exactly what I was thinking when I viewed the first ones... talk about combining hobbies! Your creations are so charming and so artistic. Thank for sharing them along with so many of the details. :)
delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 29, 2004
11:29 AM

Post #887914

Thanks again all. TA - I've seen people make hypertufa on TV but doesn't it take a long time to cure? Also, I can't grow alpines unfortunately b/c of the incredible humidity down here. Can hypertufa be used for plants that aren't acid lovers? I would like to try a few small ones at some point, but right now its so humid I don't think they'd ever dry!

Handhelpers - scrap wood is my secret obsession. I have raided garbage piles, dumpsters, etc. Even my kids yell "Hey look there's some trash!" when we pass a promising pile.
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 29, 2004
10:14 PM

Post #888724

Concrete will dry in water so the humidy will actualy be good for them. Rinse them out with white vinegar after they cure. If you want I will send you a e-mail with two page instructions. Or post is anyone is interested.
daylily970
Coshocton, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2004
11:50 PM

Post #888823

TARogers5, i would be interested. could you email me the instructions. belinda

delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2004
11:51 AM

Post #889314

Me too. Thanks!
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2004
5:46 PM

Post #889654

Hypertufa
Hypertufa is a mixture of cement, peat moss, and sand designed to imitate volcanic stone which was used in England as watering troughs for livestock. The troughs were later used as planters by English gardeners, but eventually the supply ran out.

Hypertufa was revented as a substitute material for planters and can be shaped in almost any way. It has the apparence of stone, but is also lightweight enough to be moved mound the patio. Once cured, Itís freeze and thaw-proof so it can be left outside year-round.

With Hypertufa, you can build pots, benches, birdbaths, stepping stones, troughs, planters, fountains, fake rocks, garden sculptures and even (if you dont trust the aesthetic judgment of your Loved ones) your own tombstone monument.

You can either work free-hand (for sculptures or faux rocks) or work with a mold that is similar to the shape and size of the pot you want to make. The hypertufa material can be packed onto the inside or the outside of a mold Packing it on the outside of the mold gives you a more rustic, natural stone look, while packing on the inside of a mold will give you a smooth outer surface.

Materials Tools

∑Peat moss Mold to shape pot over
∑Sand Hoe or square shovel to mix the ingredients
∑Portland Cement Wheelbarrow or mixing tray
∑Water Trowel
Gloves
Dustmask
Knife, scissors or hatchet to Áen the bags
Container to measure the parts in

Where to get supplies

If you canít find them at your local home centerís tile or concrete department, sand, cement, acrylic cement admixture, grout pigment or cement dyes can be found at a masonry or tile supply merchant
Earth pigments are found in an art shop.
Fiber mesh or fiberglass mesh is found in a building supply house, home centre, plastics supply merchant or where boat repair materials arshad. Your local concrete supplyer will have it in small bags. Enough to treat one cubic yard.
Poultry netting (chicken wire) is found in building supply house or home centre.
Peat moss and iron fertilizer (Ircuite) can be found at or ordered from a nursery.

Basic Mixtures

The Classic 1 part portland cement 1 part sand 2 parts peat moss.
The Smoothie 1 part portland cement 1.5 parts sand 1.5 parts peat moss
The Lightweight 1 part portland cement 1 part peat moss 1 part perlite and one part fibermash.
The Sparkly 1 part portland cement 1 part peat moss 1 part Vermiculite

Optional Additives

Acrylic fortifying admixture (used to strengthen and add flexibility to concrete products) Concrete or grout dyes and pigments to add color
Earth pigments
Iron fertilizer (makes the hypertufa go a rust color).

Use a container to measure the ingredients into the wheelbarrow. Or for small pots a plastic dishpan will work. Put the cement in the bottom (to control dust) and the other ingredients over it Add water and mix with a hoe or shovel or spatula. Continue adding water until the mixture is a good mud pie consistency. It should stick together with out b being so gooey as to slump or so dry as to crack.

It is easy to add too much water too fast Mix the water in thoroughly and let it sit for ten minutes and mix again The peat moss tends to absorb more water overtime and if it is a hot day the mixture will dry out. It is easer to add water to a dry mixture than adding more dry ingredients to an overly wet mixture.

Cover the mold youíve chosen with thin plastic. The mixture wonít adhere to the plastic so it will release easily from the mold. Tuck in the folds of the plastic sheeting so that it doesnít get embedded in the hypertufa

Start patting the hypertufa mixture onto the bottom and work up. The thickness depends on the size and style of the pot you intend to make. It should be at least 3/4í thick for a very small pot and roughly 2Ē thick for a large pot. Make a solid bond where the sides of the pot join the bottom. And donít skimp on thickness. Pack the material well in this area so that the pot doesnít crack along the edge.

After 24 hours, carefully pull the pot away than the mold. The pot will still be vary fragile became it takes about 20-40 days for the cement to cure completely. At this point the materiel is still soft enough to shape the bottom of the pot and make it more stable if necessary. Use a trowel to scrape off some of the hypertufa until the pot is stable while sitting. Wire brushing the surface (especially where the hypertufa was pressed against the plastic sheeting) will give your piece a roughened weathered look.

Let the pot cure for a further four to six weeks.

Once itís fully cured, rinse the pot with lots of white vinegar to remove the alkalinity thus preventing injury to tender plant roots.

Fun finishing touches:
Paint the finished pot with beer to encourage lichen and mold to grow, adding surface texture and apparent age.

Plant moss in any cracks and crevices on the outside of the pot, its roots will take bold in the peat. Put moss together with yogurt (or buttermilk) in a blender and while it around. Paint the resulting mixture on the outside of the pot to start moss growing all over it.

This message was edited May 30, 2004 1:56 PM
handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2004
7:37 PM

Post #889752

thank you for the recipe! i imagine it's still pretty heavy and can't easily be moved once you've planted it? i made a mini-rock garden yesterday! will post a pic when i take one! this is gonna be so much fun!
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2004
5:03 PM

Post #892566

Thats beautiful!!! WOWZERS! Welcome to DG!!! *Steals your idea*, hehe.
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2004
5:18 PM

Post #892578

How about a mini waterfall/lake and mountains??? OMG I am so gonna do this! LOL!!! Thanks! Ohh and a grotto too!!!
delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 2, 2004
12:04 PM

Post #893543

Already thought about the waterfall Crimsontsavo! You know, they sell these little pumps for those "desk fountains" that started cropping up a couple of years ago. They are really tiny AND submersible. Time for a Michael's coupon I'm thinking! My Jap garden has a pond, and I thought about having the tiny bamboo spigot actually run! Still may do it. By the way, I used a plastic cake dome from Sam's for the pond - its about 6-7 inches deep by 10 across - plenty big enough to hold a few small goldfish. That's what I love about doing these - everything is so CHEAP! No $100 pond liners!

Happy Gardening! DD
daylily970
Coshocton, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2004
12:38 PM

Post #894918

hi delp-diva. i have several miniature gardens. a greenhouse in my area has been selling them. they have metal fences, arches, birdhouses, bee hives, furniture, and alots of other things for them. they range in price from $2 to $11 an item. they use herbs, sedums, and steppable plants in them. i made my own. i like using steppables and sedums in my mine. i am going to use idea of using a cake dome for a pond, if that's okay. belinda
delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 3, 2004
2:29 PM

Post #895004

Hi marlatt8, I found some unfinished wooden accessories at an online place - but mostly I have to build my own stuff: fences out of popsicle sticks, wire, etc. The finished stuff they sell for dollhouses is terribly expensive! I am trying to find more sedums too - not many available here! Have you any pics of your gardens? As for the pond - I'm charging $100 for a one-time license. :) hehe
handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 3, 2004
2:33 PM

Post #895010

here's the mini rock garden i put together last saturday - nothing fancy this time around. i do have 4 types of sedum [3 are in the bottom corner] if you're interested! i found that concrete form - used a self watering hanging basket - and will somehow figure out how to cover the spaces. on to more scavenging!

Thumbnail by handhelpers

daylily970
Coshocton, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2004
2:35 PM

Post #895012

delp-diva, the license fee is little rich for my blood. i got metal furniture from the amish flea market in berlin, ohio for 99 cents a piece. i am not computer smart, have to wait until huby comes home to help me. he will tell you that i only know to shop online. belinda

This message was edited Jun 3, 2004 9:21 PM
daylily970
Coshocton, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2004
2:39 PM

Post #895020

handhelpers, great garden!!!!!!! my plants go over the edge in no time. you could also use spanish moss to tuck around the rim. belinda
delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 4, 2004
12:56 AM

Post #895869

handhelpers, that looks great! Wish I could think of something for your edges, but I don't know how moss would look with the desert theme. I just got a big, well, we would call it a "gumbo pot" down here, out of someone's trash! Have to think of a good theme for that. Or I may just use it for a tomato plant or something. I am trying to start some tiny cutting from my few sedums so maybe we could do a trade at some point.
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

June 5, 2004
8:54 PM

Post #898052

Liz, so beautiful landscapes coming out of rejectable material, require a story being unfolded in them . I bet you are a good story teller, at least your mountain retreat is so live that it nearly speaks to me - this is its value.

Go on, charm us all - all this can't be just a few bits thrown together, you have too much talent here - I would love to hear the story - unfold your self...

Dimitri
delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2004
9:29 PM

Post #898076

Dimitri that was beautiful! (swoons):) I am simply a gardener who also happens to be an artist, and who is stuck, as all of us down here in New Orleans are stuck because the food is so good and our stomachs won't let us leave, in a hot, sticky, icky, zone 9, air-so-thick-you-can-cut-it-with-a-knife climate. I made the mountain retreat as our yearly tidal wave of humidity was coming on and all I could think of was how nice it would be to move north for a while! Or maybe I could move to Greece - send me some pics so at least I can go there in miniature!
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

June 6, 2004
8:51 PM

Post #899329

of course "it also happens you are an artist.." No modelist would throw the miniature pots around - they would put them nice and tidy - now tell me please some more about your art.

(in the meantime, I will look for some interesting pic from Crete to post it here)

Dimitri
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 6, 2004
9:05 PM

Post #899346

These are amazing works of art! Nice job delphiniumdiva! Did you get my e-mail? (you sent two different email addresses).

Jean
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

June 6, 2004
9:28 PM

Post #899361

here, the kitchen veranda during a hot afternoon - no miniature...

I am sure you can put some animal sculptures in your mini gardens ??? they would add a lot of movement.

Dimitri

Thumbnail by dpmichael

delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2004
9:37 PM

Post #899372

I haven't used any animals yet but I do have some tiny birds and a frog waiting in the wings. My 7 year old put a flying saucer in his, and "aliens" (army men painted yellow). We are all just basically reverting to childhood with this...wait, does that imply I ever grew up...?

delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2004
9:47 PM

Post #899377

By the way SweetPea your website is hilarious! Isn't our climate a killer? Hope my baby gardens make it through August without baking. I have a watering system on a timer - cheap kind from Walmart. Couldn't do without it. I've situated the minis so they get misted everday. Course, that prob. means all the wooden pieces will rot in a jiffy. But what can ya' do?!
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 7, 2004
1:57 AM

Post #899591

Got your e-mail & replied. Thanks!

Did your boy make the mini garden in the picture with him? My goodness! If he did, he is exceptional! (What is that reddish plant in his garden?)

Gee Liz, have you any idea what you could do if you marketed these??? Just gorgeous!

Jean
delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2004
12:32 AM

Post #900815

He made it with some help from me - I just basically told him to put the tall stuff in back. He wanted to use red and yellow rocks b/c his fictitious planet is made of sulpher and iron, so he picked red and yellow plants too. The red thing is just an old leggy nandina that I pulled up from where it was slowly dying. Looks much better in the pot! Davey is very creative but also stubborn. He insisted the spaceship must have jointed legs. Now was THAT ever fun to try to figure out how to build! He has since added some "old man's bones" succulents donated by Marlatt8. Now my other son wants to do a battlefield with a fort, cactus, etc. Here's my three year old with her garden, which she plays in all the time. It keeps her out of mine, except that she can't resist rearranging my japanese rocks.

Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2004
12:44 AM

Post #900823

delphiniumdiva,

Welcome to DG! You are one very creative and talented lady! Your attention to detail with your container gardens makes them unique works of art! Have you ever considered selling any of them? Bet you could sell them easily, especially through the SCIF stores at DG. You may want to consider it, because YOU definitely have the "touch" when it comes to these beautiful and expressive works of living art!
gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2004
2:01 AM

Post #907605

Dear Delphiniumdiva,
A gardening area related to this is landscaping outdoor train sets. Garden railroads are becoming more popular and train enthusiasts are building gardens to match the sizes of the trains. You might be able to find sources of miniature plants and other accessories from this angle. I know that train enthusiasts have as many magazines and whatnot as gardeners do and online places as well.
delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2004
2:45 PM

Post #908184

Thanks for the tip gardenmart! Great idea. I have a friend who is into the whole train thing - I can ask him where he gets his stuff.

By the way, Dmitri, I figured out why I don't want to put animals or little people etc. in the gardens. THey are MY private mental retreat places and I dont' want anybody in there but me (figuratively speaking). I like them empty and as it where, waiting for me to arrive. As an introvert surrounded continuously with three small children plus sundry dogs, cats, chickens, birds, etc, - a quiet place with nobody there, even frogs (we have a pet frog too) seems the epitomy of bliss. So its not as selfish as it sounds. I think.
handhelpers
Coopersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2004
3:29 PM

Post #908223

here here! i'm so with you on the private retreat!!!!
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

June 14, 2004
8:52 PM

Post #909750

Well expressed, Liz- I agree with you completely - when you have children you feel you need to give them as much as possible, so you feel drained in the end - a private retreat is just a way to fill your batteries again. What a nice and artistic way to create your world !! It is obvious that these mini gardens are made for yourself - the big nails holding together the frame express no wish to camouflage for a sale - they are non-existing to your imagination, in the same way as a macthbox is non-existing in a child's hand when he plays moving it in the air as if it were a spaceship..
delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2004
11:45 AM

Post #910545

Very observant dp, you are right - no mitered corners here! I know Shirley1 suggested I sell them but I don't have any desire to do mass production where I have to start worrying what other people think. I get enough of that with my portrait work. The only reason I even posted them was b/c I thought they were so easy and so rewarding - everyone should try one! A whole garden for $20 with no backache!

I am thinking of trying an English garden - another unattainable here in zone 9b. I'm looking for really tiny flowering things to put in it. And I have an idea for making a gazing ball out of one of my kid's marbles. I'll post pic when I'm done. Unfortunately right now I'll laid up with a pinched nerve so all I can do is plan...course that's half the fun!
ladyrowan
Garberville, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2004
5:06 AM

Post #914521

SweetPea, I loved your site! Just about laughed myself silly! "How to kill plants in Zone 9!!!" Love it.
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2004
6:10 AM

Post #914585

LOL. Glad you enjoyed it! I have killed more plants than the law allows. I used to think I had a Black Thumb instead of a Green Thumb. I'll be re-doing the Garden pages in the next few days -- it's all terribly out of date right now, but glad you visited!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2004
11:18 AM

Post #914700

Welcome to DG. d-diva, your creativity fully deserves my appreciation too! Great! Pleasure to see.
Missie_
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2004
7:31 PM

Post #926936

I LOVE all of these little fellas! You've inspired me to try one myself!!! How creative!!!

Sweetpea, how can I get to your website? I've been pretty good at killing plants in the past as well. Some are pretty hard to kill in this climate too! lol

This message was edited Jun 26, 2004 3:32 PM
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2004
10:08 PM

Post #927102

Missie, there is a link on my Member Page (but that may be to the cats' pages). My Home Page is:

http://members.aol.com/Jyex/index.htm

The Gardening Pages are a real mess right now. I pulled all of the pages, reorganized, and have been uploading the new pages, so many are not available at the moment. This should be fixed in the next few days. When the upload is finished, there will, once again, a lot of information for gardening in our Zone.

Thanks for asking. It's good to know that I'm not the ONLY one who successfully kills plants! LOL.
Missie_
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2004
10:44 PM

Post #927140

Maybe it's a LA thang! Hee hee! Check out this Sega I have pretty much killed and I'm not sure HOW! Maybe this pic will make you feel better! lol

Anyone know how I might beable to save this Sega? It started out w/2 bulbs last spring... Had a beautiful year, and then this spring, it all started going downhill! Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by Missie_

LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2004
10:53 PM

Post #927148

I never met a plant I couldn't kill :(
Missie_
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2004
11:01 PM

Post #927155

I feel ya Sweetpea! LOVE your website by the way!!! :) :) :)
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 27, 2005
2:03 PM

Post #1579664

Hi, I just found this thread, with the help of darius. I have been thinking about miniature gardens, having planted some baby conifers from Musser
Forest this spring. Whenever I look down at them, it looks like a miniature world. Also thought it would be a good way to do some model-like designs for gardens and landscaping...For example, I want to design an area of my garden with a wall to make a mini shelter zone for more tender plants, and use mosaic tile on the wall in some kind of phantasmic design...etc...Who knows, maybe a mini-garden is as far as my grandiose ideas will ever get, but...

delphiniumdiva, I love your funky california garden! What part of LA are you in? My youngest son will be going to LSU this fall in Baton Rouge. We will be seeing this part of the world for the first time ever in August. I have a feeling, though, that August is not prime time to visit LA? LOL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2005
4:01 PM

Post #1580001

delphiniumdiva is no longer a paid subscriber.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 27, 2005
8:49 PM

Post #1580783

Thanks, darius, gee, you know a lot!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2005
8:55 PM

Post #1580811

Nope, just know how to navigate DG for information!
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 27, 2005
9:01 PM

Post #1580839

How would I find out if Lil_Pipsqueak is still a member? I'm guessing not, as her last thread was posted in 2003...But did you see the photo she posted of a miniature landscape? I thought it was really neat!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 27, 2005
9:07 PM

Post #1580859

Missed that photo. Go to the Member list and type in Lil_Pipsqueak. Then go to her homepage. If there's a big DG Subscriber logo, she's still a subscriber.

Here's the logo...

Thumbnail by darius

caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 28, 2005
2:03 AM

Post #1581584

Yeah there is a logo there. Or do some people pay for several years at a time? I think I just am a little concerned about her because I was reading her threads and one of the last ones was a prayer request for her son Nathan...I also have a son Nathan who died two years ago, so I guess I am just identifying with her problems. Oh well, I sent her an e-mail so if she gets it she gets it...

If you want to see the photo go to the list of threads she started, and it is called miniature display, in the photo forum, 3-12-02. Must have been at the PA. flower show. Anyway, iyt just seemed like a neat idea to make a model of garden ideas...

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2005
11:23 AM

Post #1582144

caitlin, sorry to hear you lost a son. No mother should have to go through that.

I hope she contacts you... and as for subscriptions, some folks do pay for more than a year at a time.
caitlinsgarden
McGregor, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 28, 2005
8:47 PM

Post #1583630

Thank you Darius. Yes, it is very hard. I don't think you ever really get over it, you just learn ways to live with the pain - like someone who has lost a leg, etc...Gardening right now is a very healing experience. Last summer I mainly dug quack grass. Day after day after day...Well at least gardening is a healthy addiction, and gives one a reason to get up and out and see what's blooming in the garden!

I just transplanted a daylily named "Darius" that I got from Wanda. Do you have one? If not I could send you a start when it grows a little bigger.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2005
11:00 PM

Post #1584002

Thanks for the daylily offer, but Wanda sent me one last year!
mkjones
Aurora, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2005
3:53 AM

Post #1597209

Well, caitlin & darius, I came over and read this thread after seeing the link posted for caitlin elsewhere...drats, delphiniumdiva is no longer around!!! GREAT stuff!

Sorry for all of the aforementioned in regards to your son...I can't even begin to imagine, having children of my own...

Darius, you DO know everything! You should have an honorary UBER for all of your DaveSavviness!

MKJ
daisyavenue
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10b)

July 4, 2005
7:37 AM

Post #1597487

DD had a car accident and was having a lot of back pain the last time I emailed and she promised me that she will return to DG. I hope so- we had a grand time together here! Together, we very nearly spelled trouble! LOL
rachel331
Staten Island, NY

March 4, 2006
9:08 PM

Post #2086612

Hi, has anyone tried to make the Japanese lanterns out of hypertufa? I just have not figured out how to make the bottoms with the arched openings. Please make it simple, I do not have a room of tools. Thanks, Rachel

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 4, 2006
10:02 PM

Post #2086700

Rachel,

There is a form just for hypertufa and you would be better off posting your question there. Good luck.

Hap
creadman
Rockford, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2006
5:26 PM

Post #2140481

Your miniature garden is lovely. You should send them to garden magazines. I bet they'll do an article for you. Please tell me what plants you're using for these mini gardens.

Great job!

Linda
creadman
Rockford, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 26, 2006
6:06 PM

Post #2140541

Have you thought about making a Japanese lanterns out of clay? I just went to google.com and search for Japanese lanterns images to get some ideas. Several styles to choose from.

Enjoy!

Linda
creadman
Rockford, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2006
2:12 PM

Post #2144960

Just thought of another idea. You know the paper-like japanese latern plants? I wonder if you use some paint, and put some oriental writing on it, and mini-lights that you use for Christmas and make a hanging lanterns. I hope the wind won't hurt it.

Just another creative thought.

Linda
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 1, 2008
5:30 PM

Post #5188269

Welcome to the new forum!

I'd love to see some updates. It has been a few years...how did your mini gardens hold up?

Still looking for one of those asian lanterns? I have some extra that someone gave me, if interested :0)

Thanks for the idea about that amaco clay. I'd love to try that.

Did you ever get your pond hooked up to a pump?

I like all your minis, and I agree...it lets you try different stuff for $20 each, instead of $20 grand each, in real life, lol
-T

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tiny Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miniature Garden BassetMom 43 Jul 4, 2008 11:48 AM
Garden gnomes in their natural habitat. Pixydish 236 Mar 17, 2009 7:46 PM
Miniature Garden Marcy_1 37 Mar 21, 2010 7:42 PM
Faries Anyone AFDolly 22 Jul 25, 2007 2:06 PM
Faerie Gardens! babybird 87 May 8, 2008 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America