-
AuthorContent
kwells
Petaluma, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2004
7:28 PM

Post #896789

Has anyone tried these? I got mine from Parks Seeds, they were 4 for $6.95 I think. Parks showed strawberries in them, and I think were listed as one of the their best sellers.
I have impatients (sp?) in mine and hung over a plain wood fence in the shade. Really adds a splash of color at eye level :)
I would love to see others photos for ideas, maybe plants for sunny areas? TIA!
Kathy

Thumbnail by kwells
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwells
Petaluma, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2004
7:33 PM

Post #896796

Another one. You can see the bag on the left where lower plant didn't make it:(
Kathy

Thumbnail by kwells

HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

June 4, 2004
11:24 PM

Post #896949

kwells - glad you put that up. i've had one of thouse pouches in my basement for two years. i keep forgetting to use it. just went down and b4ought it up. will go to nursery this weekend and get some of those impatients. the ones you have look great. thanks
elsie
Lafayette, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2004
11:30 PM

Post #896954

Kathy, they look great!
kwells
Petaluma, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 4, 2004
11:45 PM

Post #896975

Hi Herbie,
Thanks so much:)
My instructions with the bag said to fill with potting soil then put the plants through each slit. My six pack of plants had such big roots that I had to soak the soil off in a bucket of water to be able to get them through the slots. I also started filling with soil from the bottom, then put plant in, then more soil, then plant- with the bag in its upright position, sat in a chair with the bag on the ground. ( The directions said lay on flat surface to plant) Just an idea:)
Also, these were really heavy because I watered them before I hung up.
Good luck and would love to see yours!
Kathy
p.s. your name just made me think, I'm going to get some HERBS for my other two I have left:o)
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2004
12:25 AM

Post #898215

kwells - will do and don't forget the herbs. lol
kwells
Petaluma, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2004
3:52 PM

Post #901810

Elsie, thanks!
I noticed hummingbirds on these the other day, I didn't even know hummers liked impatients! Or maybe it's because the flowers are hanging up I noticed:)
Here's the link if anyone is interested to Parks:
http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10066&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemId=6515&FromTextSearch=growin bag&coremetricsCategory=28001
Kathy
lenaky
Paint Lick, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2004
6:02 PM

Post #901927

i did some of those this weekend with my petunias too any suggestions on how long it takes to look good? It was a royal pain for me to try and get mine planted lol and I've got 3 more bags to do!
lena
ps any good fertilizers to use? I used miracle gro's bloom booster this time
kwells
Petaluma, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2004
9:15 PM

Post #902181

lena, I really like the idea of petunias. I think mine probably took a month, I planted these the first week in April & by May 5th they were pretty filled out. When I watered the first time, I used the Schultz product "Starter Plus" for transplanting. I've been using a diluted all purpose MG (fertilize about once a week) & have to water these everyother day, it's been so windy & they dry out. I'm sure the MG you have would be fine.
I know what you mean about royal pain, I tried to do it the way the instructions said, but no way!! I thought about making the slots bigger, but was afraid the soil would wash out. I think they were worth it tho, as our fence is so plain looking without these.
Would love to see a photo after yours fill in:)
Kathy

This message was edited Jun 8, 2004 4:03 PM
lenaky
Paint Lick, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2004
9:19 PM

Post #902185

lol don't try making the slots bigger been there did that(i need a patch almost for mine, I ended up tearing some of the roots down(i felt so bad) as soon as mine look nice I'll post pics of all of them!!
thanks
lena
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 9, 2004
12:13 PM

Post #902866

cute! I found some of these at a local nurser for like 1.29 each. I got a couple of them but have only planted one of them so far. I'll get a pic of it later. I let it lay flat for a about a week until the plants started to get established in there before I hung it on the fence.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

June 11, 2004
10:18 PM

Post #906252

I've seen them and have always considered buying them. Wasn't sure if they worked as good as the catalog pics showed - but obviously they do! Those were pretty pics!
kwells
Petaluma, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2004
10:02 PM

Post #907362

Thanks everyone for posting. I can't wait to see pics:) I forgot to leave mine flat before hanging, maybe why I lost a couple of plants? That is one thing, I think it's almost impossible to replace a plant if it dies, so just left it.
Thanks, Kathy
JuBabe
Midland, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2004
9:52 PM

Post #919353

I think I'm gonna have to order some of those. Yours looks so much better than the ones in the Parks catalog!
Missie_
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2004
7:10 PM

Post #926921

I ordered the hanging strawberries, and just received them a couple of days ago. Do you think it would be okay to get them started this late, or should I wait until next year?
Beautiful PICS by the way. I can't wait to get mine started! :)
kwells
Petaluma, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2004
10:26 PM

Post #927126

Hi Missie, I just did some more about 5 days ago, let them sit flat like Jody said above & just hung up today. They had a sale on 6 pks at the garden center, so couldn't resist;) They really seem to grow faster than stuff I plant in the ground-and we have a terrible earwig population here which haven't found these yet. I think you are zone 9 too? I've never tried the strawberry plants they suggested-wasn't sure if you ordered the plants & bags together?
Thanks, Kathy

Thumbnail by kwells

kwells
Petaluma, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2004
10:33 PM

Post #927130

And one with coleus for shade:)

Thumbnail by kwells

Missie_
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 9b)

June 26, 2004
10:37 PM

Post #927136

I'm kinda new to all this, I'm so glad you replied! In the directions, it says the Alpine Strawberries need a cooling period of 3-4 weeks before planting. Do you think I REALLY need to do this? I'm wishing they were flowers like yours! I can not believe they are from just 5 days ago... BEAUTIFUL!!!

Missie :)
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2004
10:52 PM

Post #927146

Missie, I ordered those bags with Tristar strawberries last year from Park's. They did produce some berries, but not the bumper crop that is advertised (it might have already been too hot down here -- the folks in Pontchatoula [Strawberry Festival] have already harvested). My neglect of the plants didn't help either. But it's worth a try!

Surprisingly, even after leaving the bag hanging outside all winter, new berries started popping out this spring. Again, after total neglect.

I absolutely LOVE seeing the bags planted with flowers and coleus! I'm going to find the other bags I have and plant them now. Thanks for the great ideas!

Jean
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2004
9:18 PM

Post #929603

your bags are looking great! I still haven't planted the rest of mine. Just the one... but it's looking pretty good :) It's hanging on the fence behind my pond.

Thumbnail by jody

kwells
Petaluma, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 28, 2004
10:08 PM

Post #929657

Jody, that's so Pretty! Thanks for posting & please do more, love seeing the pics;)
Kathy
Missie_
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2004
11:25 PM

Post #929738

Absolutely beautiful Jody! I think I may have found a new hobby! :)
broots
Cochrane, ON
(Zone 2b)

June 29, 2004
3:19 AM

Post #930105

Hi kwells. Your impatiens look super & just wait til a month from now. You will be amazed at the size. Yes the little hummers love impatiens. Here is another thread about the grow bags & I posted a few of my pix.

Nice photo Jody. Your impatiens look great too. Love the red.

http://davesgarden.com/t/378067/
Missie_
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2004
3:30 AM

Post #930131

Wow! Love the idea of the flowers at your front door! That is beautiful! Do you leave them their at all times?

Missie :)

broots
Cochrane, ON
(Zone 2b)

June 29, 2004
3:20 PM

Post #930613

Missie_, yes I leave them there all summer. Sometimes you get startled coming out the door as the hummers & bees are sometimes there but I find it brightens the entrance. Didn't do them this year as I will be going away for about 10 days & my son does not appreciate having to water them in addition to all the other containers I have, plus the gardens.
kwells
Petaluma, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 30, 2004
5:30 PM

Post #932186

Broots, Thanks so much for posting the link, what great tips! and pics! When I searched the forums by using "growin' bags", nothing came up. I didn't realize these bags are all called different names:)
Kathy
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2004
10:13 PM

Post #932494

You guys got me all fired up about the growing bags, and I couldn't find the few I had around here, so I bought a set of 10 bags on eBay (about $12.?? plus shipping) -- worked out to about $1.65 to $1.70 per bag. Now I have to find some more impatiens.

All of the plants and flowers shown growning in the bags look really good!

Jean
sheran
LA, So CAL (Northrid, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 1, 2004
1:56 AM

Post #932756

I saw those bags a long time ago.. think it was kmart..
had mixed feeling, but seeing all those beautiful photos
might just have to get a few!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing.
Tomtom
OSAKA
Japan
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2004
12:07 AM

Post #934038

I've enjoyed your stunning bags.
I myself made such bags some years ago.

Please take a look my bags.
Viola and Lobelia

Thumbnail by Tomtom

delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2004
12:21 AM

Post #934062

WOW...WOW...WOW...WOW...stunned and amazed...

Just can't think of anything to say...

Tomtom, you sure you didn't cut that out of a magazine? :()
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2004
12:57 PM

Post #934544

Are these hard to water, and do you have to water them any more often than your other palnts?
Tomtom
OSAKA
Japan
(Zone 9b)

July 2, 2004
10:34 PM

Post #935238

Hi delphiniumdiva,

Thank you for taking a look at my pic.
I'm highly flattered .
kwells
Petaluma, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 2, 2004
10:43 PM

Post #935243

I water mine everyother day, but it's been windy here & I didn't want them to dry up. Use one of those long water wand type deals.
Jean, great idea to get them on ebay & cheaper than Parks-thanks for the tip.
Tomtom, I'm with delphiniumdiva-Wow!!
Missie_
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 9b)

July 3, 2004
2:02 AM

Post #935404

Tomtom,

How do you put 2 photos in one mesg? I'm a new member and have only seen a couple of your pics, but I have to say, the one's that I have seen are amazing! Absolutely beautiful!

Missie :~)
delphiniumdiva
Birmingham, AL
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2004
2:50 AM

Post #936520

Same here Tomtom - you are a technical guru as well as garden meister evidently! How ya do that?
Tomtom
OSAKA
Japan
(Zone 9b)

July 4, 2004
5:22 AM

Post #936677

Missie_,delphiniumdiva,
I usually use Paint for image contolling tool. Click Start,point to Programs, point to Accessories,then click the appropriate icon and you can open Paint.
It's beyond my capability to explain more in English :(
Is there any expert in image-editing who can provide more detailed(technical)information?

This is extremely useful to me when it comes to showing more than one images in one message anyway.
These are the photos of containers I made yesterday.
Before painting and after.

Thumbnail by Tomtom

julie88
Muscoda, WI
(Zone 4b)

July 4, 2004
9:11 PM

Post #937490

Another "WOW!" for Tomtom!! Your garden is spectacular and I'm *jealous!!!* :-D

I use Paint Shop Pro (PSP) and Adobe Photoshop. PSP is an excellent program for photo manipulation...if I can help someone, just let me know. I think my email is enabled if not, I'll put this thread on my watch list and keep an eye on it.

Oh yes...GEEZ, you guys are GOOD! ;-) Gorgeous growing bags and yes, I have a few but they're filled with strawberries (that is they *were* until I ATE them this morning. :-D

~julie~
Missie_
Denham Springs, LA
(Zone 9b)

July 6, 2004
12:38 AM

Post #939107

I just received a hanging bag w/strawberry seeds! Can't wait to try it out next year! Wish I could get it started now! I'm soooo tempted, cause we do not have much of a winter here. What do you think?

Tomtom - Allllll of your pics are awesome!!! :) :) :)

Missie
docgipe
NORTH CENTRAL, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 2, 2008
3:16 PM

Post #5358326

Most if not all photo management software including some freebies and I have been told in Vista is the controll word (MELD).

Relatively simple once found and understood. Place two or more pix of equal margins side by side and click on meld. The multi images become one. Save it. Now you can show a the two as one on this or any other site.
PatriciaS
Mendo. County, CA
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #5383676

Wow! Beautiful idea!

I'm very interested in edibles, I wonder how beans would do in something like this?

Tomtom, you said you made some bags -- would you share what you did?

Thanks so much, everyone!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 9, 2008
7:13 PM

Post #5391297

Tom Tom I love your new containes, May I borrow your idea?

To do two photos or more e-mail them to your self and then save them in a folder/file.

To do in paint (Vista) go to paint,as directed by tomtom, In file, click on open, import your preferred photo. open freeform tool the thing on top left of tool box, size your picture with looking glass tool, right clickon picture and then click on paste for your next picture.import picture, size. Save with new title.
You can get direction in paint Help "Paint tools"

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

Tomtom
OSAKA
Japan
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2008
10:43 AM

Post #5398290

Hi al,

I have long seased to make flowering bags ,regrettably.
Seven out of ten, I didn't succeed .(;_;)
Wishing you best luck!

helenethequeen,

Thank you so much for your helpfull explanation. `Paint ' is the most commonly available tool ,I think.

Tomtom

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2008
1:11 PM

Post #5398720

No, No not the bags. i don't like the bags very much. I'd like to make the wooden planters you show one painted one unpainted. Would feel bad to take your idea and not have your permission.Helene
Tomtom
OSAKA
Japan
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2008
11:10 PM

Post #5401298

helenethequeen,

Don't worry .
The wooden trelis is so easy to make.
I'd be happy to be some help to you.

Tomtom

Thumbnail by Tomtom

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2008
2:37 AM

Post #5406714

my petunias are ok... need to plant some in the top next time

Thumbnail by onewish1

rebloomnut
Cut Bank, MT
(Zone 3a)

August 13, 2008
2:47 AM

Post #5406754

kwell and all you bag people. i have grown in the bag as kwell did with a lot of time and mess. well i am not in this for the joy of dirt so wised up and put the roots into small plastic snadwich bags-slipped them through the holes and took the bag off then adding soil to the next hole. It will always be work but this really helped. it is truly worth it. also i found a product several years back that woks wonders called spray and grow. it is out of TX. check it out on the web. the planters by the way are beautiful.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 13, 2008
9:42 AM

Post #5407399

trailing coleus did well in them ... I didn't plant big enough pieces in it ... just experimenting with the bags... so it's not real full
igcusa
Danville, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 13, 2008
3:17 PM

Post #5408476

We stock them as well http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CN-AFP and customer's seem to like them, as they are rated pretty highly and the reviews are glowing.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

August 16, 2008
4:11 AM

Post #5421055

Here's a giant version of the bag. Not mine, it's a neighbor who plants either impatients or lobelia each year. This year it is blue lobelia.

Thumbnail by joannabanana

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 16, 2008
11:24 AM

Post #5421506

wow... guess they plant that in place... must be heavy
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 17, 2008
4:18 AM

Post #5425163

I am shocked to see the beauty of the flowers in these bags, Kwells ,,,off to order some right now.

Tomtom, I also love your gardens!
davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2008
8:47 PM

Post #5457954

I love the idea of the grow bags. Now that I've seen such beautiful, healthy pictures of flowers being grown, I'd like to get started too. I just got in a bunch of "grow bags" from the recent co-op but they don't have any handles to hang them with. If anyone has any thoughts let me know.
booplants
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2008
9:52 PM

Post #5458194

you know, they can't be too hard to make but I just need to get mine and figure it out.
Glad you posted this...I forgot to order them!
broots
Cochrane, ON
(Zone 2b)

August 24, 2008
3:12 PM

Post #5460900

davis 1676, check my post about half way down the page & follow the link to my photo of an actual bag. My bags had handles made of that nylon tow rope. My suggestion is to put a piece of duct tape on the back part of the grow bag where you are going to make the hole, just so the rope doesn't rip the bag & then make a double knot in the ends of the rope. Just a thought, someone else might have a better idea. I'm sure the tow rope comes in different colours. I have only seen yellow around here. Good luck.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM
Catnip Question jdee 32 Oct 15, 2007 9:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America