Photo by Melody

Vines and Climbers: Purple Marigold Vine??

Communities > Forums > Vines and Climbers
bookmark
Forum: Vines and ClimbersReplies: 3, Views: 132
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Paris
Woodbourne, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2001
5:28 AM

Post #6156

Has anyone heard of this? I just received some seed in a trade. I was told that the "marigold vine" was just like the flower, just on a vine. I was curious enough to bite. Now they've arrived labeled as *purple* marigold vine, so I'm completely puzzled.

The seeds look like small morning glory seeds with a whitish cast.

Nothing shows up in web searches...
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 8, 2001
7:25 PM

Post #81539

Marigolds don't vine, and their seeds look nothing like those of morning glories. I'm really into MGs---would you share a few seeds? There's not much way to tell what they are till they bloom, but there aren't any ugly morning glories.
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2001
4:25 AM

Post #81700

maybe they were just mislabeled, by accident. I've certainly done that on occasion
Sandy
Paris
Woodbourne, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2001
4:29 AM

Post #81703

The seeds are very dry. Many of them crumbled, maybe they were crunched in the mail. I have the impression that they are old, but I don't know. I nicked and soaked some of them last night and today they looked plump and ready to go. (Still looking like morning glories.)

I have around 10 seeds remaining that are whole, and I'd be glad to send them to you, as a morning glory enthusiast.

I can't help but wonder if the sender somehow confused MariGold with Morning Glory. Both of them having "M...G..." in common didn't occur to me until you used the abbreviation.

Maybe we'll get lucky and discover that they're some lost heirloom variety.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vines and Climbers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
air potato - Discorea bulbifera euphorbrom 7 Jun 13, 2012 7:59 PM
Mexican Flame Vine Aimee 11 Jun 25, 2013 8:28 PM
Dutchman's Pipe! golddog 15 Jan 10, 2008 6:14 AM
Speaking of Wisteria... hpluver 27 Jul 10, 2009 11:58 AM
confederate jasmine dixiechick 9 Jun 1, 2008 5:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America