Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Canadian Gardening: Rice Lake, ON

Communities > Forums > Canadian Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Canadian GardeningReplies: 27, Views: 346
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2004
1:52 PM

Post #897732

Hi, just thought I would pop in and say hello - I am going to Rice Lake to fish this coming week, never been up so far north, and I am going to be handy with my camera to get some pretty photos' while I am there, I am so excited!!!!

Are there any nurseries or greenhouses nearby Hastings, or Rice Lake near the spillway????? Would love to know and if so, would love to browse them while I am there!!

Thanks everyone!
Laurrie

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

June 5, 2004
3:42 PM

Post #897797

Hi Laurrie
I can't answer your question but wanted to wish you a very enjoyable trip. Hopefully one of the easterners will be along soon and post an answer. :)
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2004
4:07 PM

Post #897821

thanks Lilypon, Will leave Ohio around 4-5 pm on this sunday, so will keep checking here to see. I am excited!! can you tell LOL - Thanks for the wishes I cannot wait to see Canada!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

June 5, 2004
5:30 PM

Post #897882

I searched the net without success (found there is a Rice Lake in WI however) but it looks like gorgeous country and hopefully you'll find a greenhouse in a larger centre.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2004 11:39 AM

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

June 5, 2004
6:08 PM

Post #897907

I did find these nearby:
- 12 of 12 Display:

Viking Nursery Ltd

905-342-2537

RR 1,
Gores Landing, ON
K0K 2E0

Click to enlarge

Display Ad

Homegrown Hydroponics Inc

416-242-4769

15 McCulloch Avenue,
Etobicoke, ON
M9W 4M5

Map
What's Close By?
Display Ad
Web Site

Connon Nurseries Ltd

613-392-0402

956 Old Highway 2,
Trenton, ON
K8V 5P5

PLANTS - THERE’S NO BETTER PLACE
HWY #2 BETWEEN TRENTON & BELLEVILLE
OPEN YEAR ROUND ...( More)

Baltimore Valley Produce & Garden Centre

905-372-2662

5599 Hwy 45,
Baltimore, ON
K0K 1C0

Bathe & McLellan Building Materials

905-725-4761

575 Thornton Road South,
Oshawa, ON
L1J 6W6

Map
What's Close By?

Brighton Garden Centre

613-475-4540

RR 3,
Brighton, ON
K0K 1H0

Gardenhouse Perennials

905-372-5847

22 King Street East,
Cobourg, ON
K9A 1K7

Hollandale Landscaping & Garden Centre Ltd

613-392-7806

Hwy 2,
Trenton, ON
K8V 5P7

Jolly Farmer Garden Centre

905-372-7808

500 Division Street,
Cobourg, ON
K9A 3S4

Lorne Park Nurseries Ltd

905-355-2688

149 Peters Rd Colborne RR 4 Colborne,
Colborne, ON
K0K 1S0

Mark's Greenhouse

905-377-0966

1424 Ontario, ON

Wain's Greenhouses Garden Centre

613-475-0350

214 Ontario,
Brighton, ON
K0K 1H0

Map
What's Close By?

Show results that start with:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z All

Display:

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

June 5, 2004
6:54 PM

Post #897936

These also came up:
Results for Nurseries serving Rice Lake, ON
Results: 1 - 4 of 4 Display:

Dutchmaster Nurseries Ltd

905-683-8211

3725 Sideline 16 RR 1,
Brougham, ON
L0H 1A0

Map
What's Close By?
Web Site

Burns Water Gardens

905-372-2737

RR 2,
Baltimore, ON
K0K 1C0

Lorne Park Nurseries Ltd

905-355-2688

149 Peters Rd Colborne RR 4 Colborne,
Colborne, ON
K0K 1S0

Viking Nursery Ltd

905-342-2537

RR 1,
Gores Landing, ON
K0K 2E0

OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2004
7:08 PM

Post #897953

neato!!!! thank you so much!

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

June 5, 2004
7:31 PM

Post #897977

You're welcome! :)

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2004
7:52 PM

Post #897996

You lucky girl, you!! You're heading just east of my old stompin' grounds! Rice Lake is beautiful, love the drive around it and seeing the old brick farmhouses with the fancy fret work and brick work. You won't find Rice Lake on mapquest because there is no town of that name. Of the nurserys that Lilypon listed, Gores Landing would be the closest at about 30 klicks (kilometers). Brighton and Colbourne would be next closest and then Cobourg and Trenton. (brother used to live in Frankford, just north of Trenton-if you drive thru Frankford, take note of the funeral director's sign on the east side of the main drag -it's a hoot, always planned to send it to Leno but never have...yet!)

The last two are neat lakeside cities and going as early as you are, you are missing the worst of the tourist season. Most ON schools don't get out until the end of June. Peterborough wasn't on Lilypon's list but they have greenhouses there and a university so it's a big town with lots of stuff to do. (another brother lived there quite a few years -dad goes there often for his cancer checkups).

One of our favorite drives was S from Trenton on Hwy. 33, down to Wellington, Bloomfield, Picton (my birthplace) to Glenora - take the ferry ride - back to Picton and Bloomfield and then N on Hwy. #62 to Belleville. Pretty drive! Any ?, I'll try to answer them for you. :)
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2004
10:57 PM

Post #898153

Kooger, thanks for the lovely "tour" and your trip down memory lane as well!! It sounds delightful! I will be sure to try and keep my eyes peeled and the camera handy when we are out and about, I think it is called Hastings where we will be near, does that ring any bells? I haven't a clue!!
Also wanted to ask, I know I cannot bring plants etc, home with me, but I am wondering if I bought something from a nursery or greenhouse there, would they be allowed to ship it back here to me? just a thought, as I know I will go nuts and just have to have something!!!! Hubby told me all we are bringing home is fish LOL.
Thanks so much for everything!!
Laurrie
MG99
Victoria, BC
(Zone 8b)

June 5, 2004
11:42 PM

Post #898183

Have a great trip, it's lovely country. Don't forget bug repellent, just might come in handy. The nurseries may be able tp ship south if they have the correct licenses and certifications. Not all do.

Kooger, what's it say on the Funeral homes' sign??? Please Tell!!!

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 5, 2004
11:42 PM

Post #898184

Hastings is on the east end of the lake. I think you would have better luck getting a plant across than sending one. I've taken some across and never had problems - even when I declared them. Things have gotten stricter but it's mostly cash crops - either agriculture or horticulture they are concerned with.
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2004
12:46 AM

Post #898228

Kooger, what!!!???? Do you really think I could "get" a plant across??? And how is the declaration thing work, see I have never been to Canada so I am totally clueless. I will ask, mayhap that would be the best way to find out LOL

And yes, do tell, what on earth is on this sign, I know I will watch for it, I guess our route brings us up north thru NY etc, and then back down thru Toronto, etc, to get to the cabin we are at, so either way, I am gonna try to see this sign!!!

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2004
2:53 AM

Post #898431

When you get to the border, either way, they always ask, citizenship, anything to declare? etc. That would be anything you bought while in Canada. Keep all your receipts! Very important if you are bringing items back. If you spend more than $50. in one store, you can file and get the GST goods and services tax) back. LMK if you do and I'll direct you to the web site (it's in Nova Scotia) and you can file your request electronically. It would be wise for you to go on line and read the Canada Customs laws before you go. Then you won't have any surprises at the border. Where are you crossing? Kingston (Thousand Islands) or Niagara Falls? Kingston would be definitely much less traffic. Unless you want to see the falls!

The sign is the guy's name _________ Funeral Home but I won't tell till you get back! Keep ya in suspense!!
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

June 6, 2004
3:38 AM

Post #898496

Welcome Laurie...the West Coast is definitely outnumbered by the Eastern gardeners here! Elaine
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2004
3:49 AM

Post #898517

Thanks Kooger for the advice!! I will have to find the customs laws tonight and browse them good. HAR HAR I can only imagine the sign, I must go find that while I am there!! I believe we are going thru Niagara Falls, the fella driving said he wanted to stop there, so if we are there I can only assume that would be the area.

Elaine, thanks for the welcome, I did a quick search to see all the West and Eastern people and there weren't really that many at all!!! I am tickled to even find a few of you, a friend of mine lives in Lakefield, I guess 27 miles from where I will be, might see if I can find her and surprise her LOL

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2004
6:26 AM

Post #898690

Is he going to stop long enough for you to see the falls? LOL If you wanna do a quick tourist thing, I'd vote for the ride up the Skylon tower. The view is awesome that high over the falls.

If you have kids along and wanna tucker them out, take the Niagara on the Lake road to the Brock monument - last time we stopped it was still open to the public. You can climb to the top, one step at a time! :) Think it's over 200 ft. - commemorating the victory against the Yanks! HA! HA! Interesting history, tho.

There's so many wonderful places to stop all along the QEW and 401. My favs perhaps wouldn't be yours! We all love Cullen Gardens in Whitby - just east of Toronto. It is all in miniature - many historic bldgs. replicated - our kids loved it too. The Science Center in Toronto and the zoo are big favs too. If you're into castles, Casa Loma is awesome - also in Toronto. Mosport Race Track is only a short distance W of Rice Lake - CanAm races there - we were naughty, lied about where we were staying when we were in High School and snuck into Mosport and watched one of the big international races. :) Guess you'll have to go online and find what interests you if you get bored fishing!!!LOL
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 6, 2004
2:27 PM

Post #898934

LOL too funny!! I don't have a clue, but if he doesn't stop, I will wait till they are fishing and steal his van and go myself!!! We aren't taking the kids along this time, they are 8 & 9, and they DID NOT WANT TO GO, can you imagine!!?? I would have jumped on the chance to go somewhere like "Canada" when I was that age, as it is, I am 35 and tickled to no end because this will be my first trip there EVER!!!!

You sound like you and I share many interests, All those sound so intriging to me, especially the castle and races and oh the gardens, see just everything. I am dying to see this Funeral home sign and if I have to drag them down thru Frankford, I must see this and get a photo to put on here when I return!!! I am so looking forward to this trip, I have tons of bug spray!!
Thanks to you all so much, I am right now saving all my photo's off my floppy disks, to have them empty for the trip!
Laurrie

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2004
11:39 AM

Post #906677

Laurrie,
I am so sorry..I just came across this thread...I am sure it is too late and you are already in Rice Lake..or on your way back home now.
I am only about 25 min drive from Rice Lake...I am sure you will have found nurseries just driving along the roads though.
There is one right on Hwy #28..just can't think of the name right now. Port Hope is just south of Rice Lake..lovely quaint town..and Cobourg is another wonderful town just east of Port Hope. I live south west of Rice Lake in Newcastle. Would have loved to invite you to see my gardens and share some of my plants with you. We have lots of nurseries around us here.
Please post here and tell us all where and what you did..places you discovered.

Cheers,
Carol
OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2004
12:45 PM

Post #906733

Hi all, well, I am finally back, it was sure beautiful countryside!! We actually stayed at the "Lured Away Cottages" right on Rice Lake/River. Walking distance to the little town of Hastings. It was nice, however, the 2 men had no plans for anything but fishing!!!! I did manage to walk around that area and see some pretty flowers, etc. But I was not in walking distance of any greenhouses or nurseries, much to my dismay!! Next time I will drive, then I can get up and go when my heart desires. I would NOT hesitate to go back again!! I really liked the old I think they called it the old mill, someone now lives in it, right beside the dock masters there. That was also fascinating, how when the boats need thru, they still crank the bridge open by hand, too neat.
I am only 7-8 hours away, and my hubby and I do have plans to go back again, only this time with the kids instead of his "fishing" buddy LOL, all that man thought of was drink, sleep, and fish!@!!!!!!!! I will try to post a few photos a little later.
I am sorry I missed you Carol, would dearly have loved to meet you and see your gardens, perhpas next time around this won't be such a quick planned thing, you see, Bill, the fella we went with called up on friday night, wanted an answer saturday (of course we'd love to go!!!!), and we left at 3 on sunday, so not really any time for me to plan much, I tried to get the scoop as I checked in here each hour before we left. hahahah, I did have fun and like I said I would go back, but this was ill planned too quickly for my liking, as it turns out all they caught were blue gill, they caught bass but weren't allowed to keep them as it was spawning time and not till the June 26th could you keep them, so he didn't plan well either tee hee. We did stop long enough at the Niagara falls long enough to exchange money and see the falls and snap a few photos before it became too dark, they were sure pretty, a passerbyer took this pic of us, it was late and not the best but I have a picture!!!

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 16, 2007
2:50 PM

Post #3981268

Hi Kooger

Sad to say that Cullen Gardens Miniature Village is no longer...the owner passed on and the kids sold it to the town of Whitby. They are not sure what they are going to do with it yet. But, the good news is that the plant nursery is still open for business as usual and patrons can buy plants there.
Now, if I can just get myself across the border in Oct. to join my American husband in Kansas! I am worried sick about crossing that border...turned back in June and have been back in Oshawa ever since. Hubby and I are both heartsick about it.
Wish us luck pullleeeezzzz !!???

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

September 17, 2007
1:04 AM

Post #3983153

Oh that is sad news. My DD was planning on taking DGD there some day. The kids all loved to go there.

What happened with your paperwork? I know you have to stay in the states while green card papers are being processed or you have to stay in Canada and start all over. We almost had that happen in 1977. DH got mad at the guy (usually not a good plan) and he let us in and I did my papers out of Omaha. That was waaaaay pre-9/11 of course. Different ball game now.

My green card renewal was denied two? years ago and I went thru a lot to get it renewed. Turns out immigration accidently deleted my biometrics. sheesh!! It took a few calls to our state senator to get it figured out. They have a direct line to immigration and all us peons get is machines and more machines. I would suggest that you have your DH call his state senator and ask for the person who deals with immigration issues and give them all your particulars. What kind of visa/etc. were you on to live here?

I'll be praying for you to get it all worked out. Nothing more stressful than immigration - that's a for sure!!!!!!!!!!
AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 18, 2007
1:46 PM

Post #3988595

Hi Kooger
I have not applied for any visas for the U.S. as my husband is immigrating to Canada as a Permanent Residence. We plan to live here together as of Apr. 08. I came home to Oshawa for what I thought was a weeks visit on April 10th and had a lot of things to deal with here before I could return to KS. My husband flew up in late May for a week and we tried to drive back together but I was denied entry at the Windsor/Detroit border. They stated that I must live in Canada for 6 mos out of every year and wouldnt let me thru after 3 1/2 hrs of gruelling questioning and finally were turned back. My husband flew back to KS alone the next day and I have been here in Oshawa ever since. The plan is to drive back across on Oct. 10th - that will have been 6 mos in Canada as per their rules and hopefully I will get across this time...if not... I wont even attempt it again. My nerves are shot from the intimidating questioning and ridiculous treatment by those guards. My only crime is being married to an American and wishing to go to Kansas and spend time with him... Its been a nightmare and I wouldnt wish this upon anyone. ~sigh~ Wish my luck on October 10th will you? I need all the prayers I can get.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2007
3:10 PM

Post #3988996

I see! You are just coming as a visitor, right? Yeah, they can be testy abt that because you are coming with DH so they assume you will stay. Then they want you to get some sort of paperwork. Has your SH already applied for Canadian Permanent Resident status? I wonder if it will help you if you do a chronologial paper of your last year and your plans for the next year. Support it with any documents - plane ticket stubs, copy of DH's filing for permanent resident, maybe house/rent payments to show you live in Oshawa (so they don't suspect you of sneaking into the US), anything else to show he is moving and not you. Has DH applied for any jobs in ON? if not, maybe he should do so and copy apps, or replies from potential employers.

What abt getting a 6 months visa/pass or whatever for you? Is that possible? I know everything is much harder since 9/11 so they want paperwork for just abt everybody! Another thing they asked me for years ago was to prove that I had enough money to stay the length of time I was planning on staying. (This was for a 2 week visit to my bro in IA back in '75.) So maybe a bank statement that you have enough money for the length of your stay in KS.

I'm just thinking out loud of possible helps - don't know if they will or not. But I'll pray for a clear passage thru for you and him. And safe travels, too. :)
AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 19, 2007
11:21 AM

Post #3992270

Thanks so much for the input Kooger. I do plan to bring along the letter from our immigration lawyer which states that we have applied for perm. res. for my husband and I do have mtg papers, utils., credit card statements to show I have been here in Oshawa since April. Marriage cert., bank statements etc. Even with all that it is up to the individual border guard whether or not I am allowed passage. Its nerve wracking and very frustrating especially when they do their intimidation act and behave so aggressively. I will do my best to stay calm and get thru it. Lord give me strength ! All the best to you and yours Kooger

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

September 19, 2007
2:54 PM

Post #3992912

I'll be praying and waiting for results. Sounds like you're doing everything you possibly can do. How abt a letter from your MP and one from DH's senator or congressman, stating something abt your good character and knowing your plans,e tc.
Hoping for the best,
Laura
inanda
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 2b)

September 19, 2007
5:00 PM

Post #3993395

Do hope things work out soon for you, April. So many things have changed since 9/11. And now more and more stuff in the media about immigration/9/11 and so on.

Just getting worse and worse. I mean harder and harder to go back and forth. I really wonder how some of the towns right on the border cope. Ones where the border goes right through the town. There is one town in Quebec where the border goes right through the town library.

Kooger went through awful dramas for so long with her papers.

inanda who used to live not to far N. of Oshawa.
AprilHillside
Waterville, KS

September 19, 2007
7:46 PM

Post #3993883

Thanks for your thoughts and best wishes girls. My best to you both.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canadian Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brugmansia 'culebra' available Dennis_taylor 6 Nov 12, 2007 5:22 PM
Hi from Québec / Saskatoon spklatt 53 Sep 8, 2008 11:40 PM
Welcome to ginnylynn from Blyth, Ontario OldFlowerGirl 21 May 20, 2008 3:34 PM
Petunia 2 u 2 DCarrington 44 Apr 14, 2013 11:01 AM
My Garden is Now Underway DCarrington 129 Feb 2, 2009 6:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America