Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Greenhouse: My messy greenhouse

Communities > Forums > Greenhouse
bookmark
Forum: GreenhouseReplies: 11, Views: 684
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mwestgardener
Tulsa, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2004
12:29 PM

Post #899996

Hi all,
after my seedlings are taken out and planted and it gets a little too hot to leave anything else in the greenhouse, mine gets a little messy. I have to clean it up very soon. Just been putting it off. It's so nice and neat from January-June and then is a blasted mess from June-September.
Can anyone relate?
Trays scattered here and there, pots strown all around the place.
bleek
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2004
7:51 PM

Post #900515

Not that I want to admit to!!!!
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2004
3:35 AM

Post #904063

thats when i clean it and make it a camp site for the boyz and i -take a tv out there with us and a cot for moms old bones!!! :)
and we have a great time as long as it doesnt rain-we have lots of leaks!
deann
Au Gres, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2004
9:39 PM

Post #913966

I can relate to your messy greenhouse...I have the same problem...I keep thinking I will need all these empty flats and containers for next year. I have shelves all around my greenhouse. I bought those RubberMaid ones with two and three shelves to a unit. As soon as my garden is on its way, I will start to organize my greehouse again, and probably throw out some of those flats I think I need but in reality, don't. NotMartha, I love to go in mine in February and March on a sunny day. its always 70 degrees in there or warmer...Next year gonna bring one of the lawn chairs in there for some warm sun in the middle of winter...

Thumbnail by deann
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Michaelp
Glendale, UT
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2004
12:20 AM

Post #959106

Mine is a mess and too hot to get in durring the day--I fertilize [haul manure] and cleen out all the weeds I should have never let grow in the first place--I am getting it ready for fall crops now--the only things that I can grow now-are Malabar spinach,amaranth,Gingers, Taro, Peppers, and Bananas-it has even cooked the tops of my Chayote---Oh Well
LindaSC
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2004
9:33 PM

Post #1037158

deann, I LOVE your greenhouse. That's the one I want. Please tell me about it.

Also, I've just cleaned mine out and I hosed everything down with bleach and soap. Is there something that I should use before I bring the plants back in? And should the plants be sprayed before they come in? Last year (and all summer for that matter) I've had problems with mites. Anything I can treat the ground with?
picturelady
San Jose, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2004
2:00 PM

Post #1037958

I am just thinking about getting a portable GH and have been wondering about all the things you guys are talking about!
Please, I would like to hear more on GH maintainance, bugs, weeds and whatever other care it will need.
Deann, I love the look of your GH in the snow with the sun rising behind it! Looks so cozy and warm! Lovely.
deann
Au Gres, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2004
11:23 AM

Post #1039615

Ihughes...My greenhouse was designed and built by my son in law, who believe it or not is a Pilot for Delta Airlines. It was designed on a CAD program on the computer. I am pretty sure he still has those plans somewhere if you are really interested in that particular design. The size is 12 x 12...and the wood on it is Redwood. The panes are double Polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is a tough, dimensionally stable, transparent thermoplastic. The door is a Pella top to bottom all glass door...Usually in the warmer months, I remove the glass out of it to keep some sort of breeze in there...At the very top in the center there is a solar window that opens and shuts with the sun. This sometimes allows flying things to get into my g.h...grrrrrrrrr.

http://www.sdplastics.com/polycarb.html

He made this greenhouse in Indiana where he and my daughter live, and then transported it in piececs on flatbed trailer to Northern Michigan which is where I live...I remember the weekend they came up here and we put it together. It took two days to assemble, and I took digital pictures of the whole process.

All of the polycarbonate panels are joined together like a jig sew puzzle. The largest pieces are the bottom half which are 12 x 12 pieces of Redwood that make up the base of the GH. The floor of the GH is crushed stone. This makes it real easy for the water to leech into the ground when I water, and...its easy clean up. I never have to worry about water puddles on the floor.

I have a propane heater in there, and it is also wired for electric, which I love, as I have lights and my music for me and my plants... I have a large exhaust fan which I use in the early part of the season when I first start my planting with seed. Because I live in Northern Michigan, it gets pretty cold here in winter months and I do not keep it heated throughout the winter months, its just to cost prohibitave. I did the first year, and it cost almost $300.00 to keep it heated. Actually when the sun is out, even in the dead of winter, its pretty nice in there. It usually gets to 60 degrees or so...which is great if its below 0 out there...

The materials alone for this Greenhouse cost a little over $3,000.00...All of my kids chipped in for the material, and this was a Christmas present to me three years ago...This was a real labor of love on my son in laws part...I am so blessed...
deann
Au Gres, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2004
11:26 AM

Post #1039618

Picturelady...thank you for your thoughts...that was a lucky shot...happen to be taking the dogs out for a walk in late afternoon, and I always have my digital with me, and as I passed it, the sun was just setting, and I took that shot...
LindaSC
Columbia, SC
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2004
4:24 PM

Post #1040134

It is a wonderful gh, and that was so sweet of your children to do for you. I'm always happy in my gh (and it's nothing like yours). I also have electricity and music.
SBHDRH
Summerville, SC

September 9, 2004
1:44 AM

Post #1040871

Deann, that is such a nice gesture on your kids part and a beautiful greenhouse! If you can find the plans, I would love to get a copy. DH keeps telling me to find one I like and he'll build it but haven't found exactly what I want yet. Your's is very close though to what I had in mind. Did you get the polycarb from the website you posted? is yours corrugated? couldn't tell from the pix. I looked at that site but I couldn't find any pricing. Thanks
deann
Au Gres, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2004
1:47 PM

Post #1043015

SBHDRH...I am not sure which website my son in law purchased the polycarbonate from...but you can betcha he shopped for the best price. I will speak with him this weekend to find out where he got the products from. I do know he purchased the redwood from a local source...may even been Manards or Lowes or Home Depot sort of a store. He did use the best paint available. Its called SIKKENS...

In answer to your question or the polycarbone being corrugated, I believe so, there are ripples in it. Is that what you mean. You can see out of it though, not clear as a bell, but clear enough to make out what is on the other side...

Yes, I am very blessed to have children who are so good to me. I have posted all of my pictures of the greenhouse as it was being put together, howerver, I do need your real email address to send you the invitation from my webshots...

Just email me and I will take care of it...I must have maybe 50 pictures there from start to finish as the greenhouse went up...

Deann

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Greenhouse Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Online sources for greenhouse film? Terry 11 Oct 31, 2012 5:55 PM
Old Tomcat Sprays My Greenhouse Weezingreens 24 May 22, 2009 5:37 PM
Early 1900s Wm. H. Lutton Glasshouse Jersey City, NJ Abutilon 50 Jan 22, 2009 3:55 AM
Best greenhouse for the money JimKennard 90 Sep 22, 2012 8:54 PM
Santa Barbara Greenhouses? mysticwill 8 May 4, 2009 3:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America