Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 12, Views: 245
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

June 8, 2001
3:52 PM

Post #6169

Well, I'm starting to think about a fall cool-weather crop, and I'd like to see about some feedback from other folks.

This fall, I'd like to grow:

Cauliflower
Broccoli
Lettuce
Snap peas
Radishes

I may add to this list, but the 5 above are definite "must grows" this fall.

When do people sow these? How long before the first frost should I sow each of these guys?

And, for the broccoli and cauliflower, when should I start them indoors, and how long before first frost should I set them out?

Thanks,
Dave
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2001
11:11 PM

Post #81605

Hi Dave,
It must have some bearing on your climate because my broccoli and cauliflower are in the ground. Earlier today I was harvesting some radishes and I have 2 more rows planted. They are very fast and I plant them about every three weeks to keep them coming all summer. For the past 20 years or so, I have always had my broccoli and cauliflower in early and it does well for me..that's why I think ...maybe your climate in Tenn is going to make a big difference than up here on the Lake,
Sandy( I guess that was no help!!!! )
Ivey
Lyles, TN

June 8, 2001
11:18 PM

Post #81614

Dave: Usually I have a bed of carrots started as a fall crop that lasts almost all winter. I sow them broadcast, pretty thick then when they're small, start thinning by eating some each day or so. This leaves room for the remaining ones to swell as they grow. A bed about 3 1/2' wide x 10' long lasts a long time. Of course if we have 10 degree temps I cover them, but they grow a little every time it warms in winter. Usually sow in Late August or Sept. Brassicas on the other hand need the coolest place I can find. (so they don't try to bloom when they're 4" tall) Sometimes you can plant 2-3 weeks apart and pick the crop that does best in your micro-climate. Greens of course are as near fool-proof as can be since you don't wait for flowers, etc.
Favorite radishes--French breakfast, daikon.
So far it's been no-go for fall snap peas and potatoes. Somebody give me a hint!
tashak2
Silver Springs, NV
(Zone 6b)

June 10, 2001
6:12 PM

Post #82038

Along with greens like turnip and kohlrabi, you might consider some of the specialty lettuces, late cabbages, Chinese looseleaf celery cabbage, pak choi and bok choy, Swiss chard, maybe a late spinach. Last year my kohlrabi, Chinese celery cabbage and Swiss chard overwintered under plastic, and kept producing between snow/freezes until late March when we had a warm spell and they started blossoming. (NV weather is unpredictable.)
I definitely want to try a fall crop of garden peas, green cover if nothing else if frost nips the blossoms. Maybe more green cover, buckwheat and oats again.
Problem I have with fall crop planting is it is really hot in August and September though first killing frost usually is Sept. 10, so stuff doesn't want to come up because temp is in 90's/100, then drops to 20's/30's, then heats up again, etc. Maybe I should start the fall stuff indoors, and stagger planting outside, since Oct. can be nice.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2001
12:37 AM

Post #82122

Dave,people around here plant their fall greens(mustard/turnip)the first weekend in Aug.It's still blistering,so they water.I'd do the radishes at the same time...do the lettuce and peas about 2 weeks later so temps will cool some.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2001
2:44 AM

Post #82424

Dave, what about shallots and garlic?
marshseed
Santa Barbara, CA

June 12, 2001
3:03 AM

Post #82430

Dave,

Hard to advise you because out here on the West coast, I grow yearround. I do most of my crops as transplants (not carrots or radishes) started 6-8 weeks before I want to plant out, started inside, brought outside to harden off before transplanting.

There are broccolis for different seasons, same with carrots. Saga Broccoli is my summer broccoli here but can't find it this year; Marathon my winter one. Lettuces and spinach and carrots don't germinate well in very warm soils. Stick with leaf and oakleaf lettuces and the white cos for warm-season lettuce because they are slower to bolt. The asian radishes, like some chinese and daikon can tolerate warmer weather than the typical European radish.

You might try Sugar Mel for spring planting of snap peas -- definitely more heat tolerant as is Oregon Sugar Pod II snow pea which I let fill out some and it still stays sweet and tender.

Well, I could really get started here! Enough for now.
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2001
11:09 PM

Post #83621

Removed by member request
dave

June 16, 2001
12:09 PM

Post #83768

No fear, MM, the carrots are there! I just didn't mention them for some reason. For carrots I'm growing: Danver's Half long, Kundulus, and Danvers 126.

I just sowed the danvers 126 a couple weeks ago and they are just now germinating. I'll be sowing another bed of carrots this fall.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Dave
herblady
Knoxville, TN

June 17, 2001
1:30 PM

Post #84044

Hey dave,Thanks I just thought,that's what's missing in our garden,lol Hubby will love you for this one Dave lol
Hey hubby,daves got carrots in his garden down the road nd we don't !!lol
luv herblady
birdie
Salina, UT
(Zone 4a)

June 20, 2001
10:37 PM

Post #85266

This is what I have found that works best for me:
I put burlap sacks over the cool-crop things that I'm trying to germinate during hot weather, and I keep the sacks watered. The plants come up better because as the burlap dries it cools the ground and the seeds. Watch for sprouts though, so that you can get them uncovered as soon as they germinate.
Also, be sure to mulch around the plants with a light colored mulch (grass clippings or something). This will cool the ground around the plants after they emerge.
Good luck! Birdie
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 21, 2001
2:33 AM

Post #85331

Dave
We start the late crops the first or second week in July. We sow them under lights in an airconditioned room, set to around 65-70*.We sometimes start a second crop 2 weeks after the first.
Calalily
dk

June 23, 2001
10:02 PM

Post #86279

Don't get too concerned about first frost for your cool season vegies.
I have temps in the 90's and 100's through the first of September, then it drops off. We have first frost around the end of October or early November. Killing frost (20's) don't hit till close to christmas.
I plan all my seedlings to be transplanted outside as soon as our temps drop below 90 or about the second week of September. I can't direct seed lettuce, carrot, or radish after the end of September, or the temps are too cool to get them to grow big enough to harvest. Local farms plant spinach through mid december, some of the later plantings are for early spring harvest.
The reason I went throught the info at the top is because I can plan to harvest these items to almost christmas. The light frosts don't hurt my fall crops. If you look back through your weather info, you can figure out your harvest times for the fall plants.
Good luck.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America