Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Essensia
San Lorenzo, CA

June 8, 2001
5:25 PM

Post #6173

Received this as a gift in a basket of office plants last August. It seems to grow slowly, but it's a little happier since I gave it a pot of its own last week. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by Essensia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

eltel
Macclesfield, CHESHIRE
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2001
6:51 PM

Post #81526

The leaves remind me of Ficus benjamina, but it should be showing a central stem (trunk) by now.

El Tel
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 8, 2001
7:04 PM

Post #81529

It looks like a hoya to me...what are the stems like (woody, green,etc..) and does it seem to want to 'trail'?? I'm also thinking peperomia...but looks closest to hoya in the pic.
Essensia
San Lorenzo, CA

June 8, 2001
7:32 PM

Post #81547

Great suggestions, eltel and Nan, thank you. I looked up pictures of hoya, peperomia, and Ficus benjamina. Of those three, I'm leaning toward ficus because the plant doesn't look succulent at all, but that's difficult to see in the photo. Its stems are woody at the bottom, green and spindly farther up. I found photos of two Ficus benjamina varieties, "Midnight" and "Indigo", that are pretty close.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

June 8, 2001
8:57 PM

Post #81568

Looks like the cuttings off my ficus benjaminus... so I agree with eitel and Nan.
Essensia
San Lorenzo, CA

June 8, 2001
10:11 PM

Post #81587

Thanks, darius, that's good to hear. Now I can figure out how to satisfy the little critter. I'm embarrassed to admit that I pretty much ignored it (except for watering) for almost a year 'til the gardening bug bit me recently.
Paris
Woodbourne, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 9, 2001
10:03 PM

Post #81823

I can see a general similarity in the leaf shape, but the growth pattern is not at all that of Ficus benjamina. I've seen the plant elsewhere, but I'm afraid I don't know the name.
Jerseyguy
Princeton, NJ
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2001
11:08 PM

Post #81832

could be ficus nitida a.k.a ficus retusa.
Paris
Woodbourne, NY
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2001
5:08 AM

Post #81900

It could be Ficus retusa 'nitida.' Have a look at this pic: http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Moraceae/Ficus_retusa_nitida.html

The picture shows a full grown tree, but you can see the leaves clearly. What throws me is that the leaves in Essensia's picture look like they might be pennate -- pairs of leaves growing directly opposite each other on a stem.

Essensia, are the leave like that, or is it just the pic?
Essensia
San Lorenzo, CA

June 10, 2001
4:47 PM

Post #82014

Paris, the leaves are not directly opposite each other. (I originally posted that they're almost directly opposite each other, but I checked, and they're not. Hence the edit to this post.) The tree in your hyperlink looks like a very close match! One weird thing: it indicates "full sun" for the tree, but my plant was in an indoor plant basket created by a florist. Maybe that's why it hardly grew at all in the 8 months I had it at the office?

This message was edited Sunday, Jun 10th 2:02 PM
KayElJay
Crystal Lake, IL

June 25, 2001
7:09 PM

Post #86859

Your plant look like a Murraya paniculata (or M. exotica) to me. It's hard to find good pics of this plant on the web, but here are some of the better ones.

http://logees.com/html_pages/Murraya/MURRAYA.html
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Rutaceae/Murraya_paniculata.html
http://www.dipbot.unict.it/orto/0660-1.html

Ankrara.com also has a couple of good pics, under "Houseplants"

Karen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America