Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Accessible Gardening: Hello, would like to introduce myself...

Communities > Forums > Accessible Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Accessible GardeningReplies: 12, Views: 314
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
plantiques
Burleson, TX

June 12, 2004
9:33 PM

Post #907339

Hi all, my name is Jude, aka 'plantiques'. I live in North Texas, zone 7... been actively gardening for 15 years. I'm 40 years old, have a fantastic husband and two wonderful kids.
I was diagnosed with fibro and tmj about 15 years ago, which are the least of my problems. I have suffered from the autoimmune disease CAD aka 'cold agglutinin disease' for about 20 years which was finally diagonosed about 6 years ago. CAD is literally being allergic to the cold... anything below 67 degrees can cause my blood to hemolize (hemolysis) and clot. Unfortunately, I have had the blood clot in my brain on several occasions and have had 5 strokes as a result. I am partially paralyzed, my worst stroke was on the right side of my brain, which left the left side of my body without sensation, though, I can control it fairly well after many years of practice. It also reduced the vision in my left eye to about 25%. I can't eat ice cream, or hold cold soda cans as they can cause frostbite. The upshot is, my husband does the grocery shopping as I can't go into the freezer sections!
I have my share of horror stories, like when I had my first stroke and went to the ER. I told them I thought I had a stroke, they said it was probably just a migraine and let me sit for 7 hours in the waiting room... it turned out to be a stroke, but it was too late for the clot busting drugs that would have reduced the damage done to my brain!
I have good days, and bad days... especially when I get too cold and my spleen grows to the size of a basketball! Overall though, I am scrappy and tend to ignore my disabilities. I am a big "do-it-yourself-er" and if I can't do something, I figure out a way! I look forward to reading this forum, getting to know you all, and sharing ideas. Now I'm off to work on a rock garden I am building...
Thanks for listening...
Jude aka 'plantiques'
p.s. my other interest is antiques... especially garden related items.

This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America