Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Daylilies: Growing 'Naked Ladies'

Communities > Forums > Daylilies
bookmark
Forum: DayliliesReplies: 13, Views: 312
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2004
1:22 AM

Post #908788

I am not certain if this is the correct forum, but here goes: I am a real newbie at growing any type of bulb, and I need help.

I saw a picture of the naked lady blossoms (Amaryllis belladonna) and fell in love with the flowers.

I've just received the 12 bulbs I purchased, but I have NO IDEA how these amaryllis grow. I had read that first there is foliage, then a stalk, then the foliage dies back, and then the flowers come. Is that correct?

Then what happens? Do they bloom for a short period and then does everything die back?

And is it okay to plant them now, in June?

I shared the bulbs with my sister, who asked:
when the foliage appears
when the foliage die-back occurs
when they bloom
does one bulb produce one flower stalk
etc.,
and I couldn't tell her a thing.

Can anyone explain how and when this plant grows? Thank you.

Jean
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2004
1:37 AM

Post #908816

Hi Jean,
where did You see a picture ? or where did You buy it from ?
I just received a bulb in my DL trade and I figured it was a Amaryllus but so far have no idea how it looks like,
Brigitte
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2004
1:44 AM

Post #908827

Jean I just found a picture,it is GEORGEOUS...You are right :-)
Brigitte
mariajose
Lafayette, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2004
1:57 AM

Post #908848

Hi, LouisianaSweetPea. This evening I took a walk around the garden (we're in IN, zone 5) and noticed that our Naked Ladies foliage is yellowing and fading. It took me a moment to remember that yes, they do that, then when you've completely forgotten them, you turn around and suddenly these beauties are standing there - tall and proud, wearing not even so much as the sheerest leaf. As I recall, this occurs in mid summer or so. Once they have shown off and the bloom fades I cut them back a bit, not too hard. Post-bloom is a good time to move them. If you move them while roots and leaves are actively growing in spring, you could lose blooms for a few years. But these are tough plants. Simply save your transplanting until after bloom in summer/fall. You'll find a lot of good info in the Plants Database.
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2004
3:53 AM

Post #908974

LSP, I'm growing them for the first time this year. The foliage died back last month (May). I don't know when to expect flowers . . . I presume they will be like lycoris, foliage following shortly after the blooms die back?

Anyway, I've been told that they might 'pout' for a year without blooming, so I'm prepared for a flowerless year. Yours, being planted now, may not flower this year.

Post in the bulbs forum, lots of folks there grow these. In fact, some of mine came from folks there. =)

Cheri'
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2004
4:30 AM

Post #909011

Eglantyne, I purchased some huge bulbs on eBay. If I wasn't such a sissy-baby, I would have asked to trade for some here on DG. Glad you found a picture -- pretty, aren't they?

Maria, I didn't think to look in the PDB! Perhaps the member comments will give me some info too. Thanks for telling me how yours grow.

And Sundry, you know the only lily with which I have experience is St. Joseph -- and they were already here when I moved to this house. LOL. Let me know how your 'naked ladies' are doing. Are you going to dig them up this winter?

YTRN
Yazoo City, MS
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2004
7:47 AM

Post #909100

Brigitte, I'm so sorry I didn't send you a pic! The one you got is a pink amaryllis belladonna. Acts much like lycoris, but the bloom is much bigger and like a crinum lily...trumpet-like. You will need to dig yours up before winter and store like other bulbs, I think, being as far north as you are.
Yvonne
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2004
11:53 AM

Post #909148

LSP, no, I'm not digging them. I planted them last fall and they made foliage during the winter. They are hardy all the way to 5a. I'm just treating them like lycoris . . . letting them do their thing.

My St. Joseph Lily actually bloomed this year! I was so surprised, especially since it was late. I wasn't expecting it to bloom at all, being so new to my garden. Do they keep their foliage year round? Because mine has so far. Don't they need some dormant time?

Cheri'
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2004
11:58 AM

Post #909155

Cherie,
hmmmmmm.now I wonder if I could plant mine in the garden and leave it there too with protection ? I am in Zone 4b/5a,
Brigitte
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2004
12:02 PM

Post #909157

Eglantyne, I don't know a thing about cold climate gardening . . . but if you post in the bulbs forum someone there will know.

Cheri'
LouisianaSweetPea
Mount Hermon, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 14, 2004
4:44 PM

Post #909456

Cheri', the St. Joseph keep their foliage year-round. Mine finished blooming about a week ago. I don't do anything to them or for them -- one tough plant! I'm so glad yours bloomed for you!

Jean
sundry
Franklin, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2004
4:49 PM

Post #909462

No maintenance . . . My kind of plant . . . LOL! I'm such a bad person.

Glad to hear they don't need a dormant period, thanx!

Cheri'
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2004
5:06 PM

Post #909479

Brigitte, If I were you, I'd leave them, if you do happen to lose them, I'll replace them for you next year.

They are very very strong, thriving in the poorest of conditions around here with little to no care. I've transplanted and dug at different times, and the only effect is smaller or no blooms.

The Power plants down on the river have them growing on bank outside the fence... those banks are mowed every summer, and it never fails, the Naked ladies spring back up in August. Everything seems to be running about 3 weeks ahead of schedule here, so I'd expect the naked ladies to start blooming in early August, maybe even Late July for us.

My foliage has been yellow for some time, and much of it is dying now. I'll have to go take a picture of it. :-)
Shelly221
Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

June 14, 2004
5:08 PM

Post #909485

My Grandma has naked ladies, she calls them miracle lilies, she is in z4a, and doesnt have a problem with them. She cant garden as much as she used to, so they get no special care AT ALL no mulch, or anything. Im sure they will do fine for you Brigitte.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Daylilies Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What do I do with the day lilies now? JSS 12 Oct 10, 2009 4:51 PM
Scented daylilies?? philomel 26 Feb 5, 2008 6:00 AM
Potted Daylilies CountryGardens 10 Jan 18, 2008 4:28 AM
Late Season Rebloomers pins2006 12 Aug 3, 2007 12:38 PM
Metal markers suppliers? bluegrassmom 63 Mar 12, 2008 11:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America