Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

PlantFiles Pictures: Confederate Rose, Cotton Rose (Hibiscus mutabilis)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 3, Views: 105
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SandPiper
Foley, AL
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2004
10:07 PM

Post #909964

Confederate Rose, Cotton Rose
Hibiscus mutabilis

My favorite blooming bush/tree. Brought this one as a cutting from MS when I moved to AL.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/714/

Thumbnail by SandPiper
Click the image for an enlarged view.

betsydog1
League City, TX

July 5, 2004
3:06 PM

Post #938397

I have a 1 1/2 year old plant that looks like this given to me by my mother-in-l;aw. It has never bloomed although it si over 6 feet tall. Do I need to feed it or what. So far it looks like Jack's bean stalk.
SandPiper
Foley, AL
(Zone 9a)

July 7, 2004
7:52 AM

Post #941012

You didn't include a pix for comparision. But if it IS a Confederate Rose, it should have bloomed the first year. They begin blooming in the early fall and bloom profusely until right before threat of the first frost and you have to prune them down. It is my belief that they are the "last rose of summer" you hear referred to since they are the last flowers to bloom before winter...I have always had one or two and wish I could answer your question. I fertilize mine several times a year when I think about it, but they do well on their own. And I've never had one look like "Jack's bean stalk" LOL Perhaps you could look this up on the internet for some advice. Good luck...
Sharmaya
Pune
India

July 30, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9223719

I have my doubts if it is Hibiscus. The leaf looks unlike a hibiscus leaf.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America