-
AuthorContent
faronell
Henderson, NV
(Zone 8b)

June 16, 2004
11:16 PM

Post #912733

Anyone have experience with these??? Just curious at this time if worth investigating...
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2004
11:53 PM

Post #912769

I have heard of these things but never took it seriously. Is there such a thing as tree tomatoes?
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2004
12:37 AM

Post #912818

i've seen the advertisements but don't believe it for a moment.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

June 17, 2004
2:14 AM

Post #912936

THe so called tree tomato that is seen adver tised in Sunday Supplements and called tree tomato is really Cyphomandra betaceae, a tender shrub that grows to about 12-14 ft, fruit appear after the second year and the fruits are very acidic and astringent and really not all that edible although in certain parts of the world certain cultivars are grown. Also called Tamarillo.

It was called Tomato Tree during Victorian times when there was a bit of tomatomania going on b/c the red fruits do look like roma tomatoes.

There is also a real tomato variety called Giant Tree, which isn't and also one called Climbing Trip-L Crop which some folks call a tree tomato but isn't.

Carolyn
faronell
Henderson, NV
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2004
4:11 PM

Post #918906

Thanks Carolyn, I actually tried eating the Tamarillo because they looked so good. But I didn't like the flavor at all. Guess I will stick with plain old tomatoes. By the way, I bought a copy of your book I found on Ebay. If I mailed it to you, would you autograph it for me. Thanks, Faronell
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2007
2:01 PM

Post #3809054

Hi everyone. Tree tomato? I got seeds for this from Elsa123...in Africa. planted them in the spring, under lights..here they are..They are large..Shinny leaves. Two in this pot. I might bring them in in the fall..She said..they were small type. She makes things with them. I emailed her..but no answer yet...kind of neat..I think. Take a look...

smiles Diana

Thumbnail by WantabeGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wgnkiwi
Burlingame, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2007
4:30 PM

Post #3809706

Ooooo, I love tree tomatoes (tamarillo's)!!! They are my most favourite fruit ever but generally unavailable here or outlandishly expensive. Back in NZ where they are grwon in huge numbers I would eat them straight from the skin, in a crumble, stewed with icecream, in apple pie, as a chutney or relish... you get the picture. The taste takes a bit of getting used to - they are quite tart. As kids we used to sprinkle sugar on the cut halves and scoop out with a spoon. MMmmmmmm...

(note to self - get some seeds and plant a tree!)
WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 2, 2007
8:08 PM

Post #3810401

Great..Wgnkiwi...Do you remember how big the tree gets? And when to find the tamarillo's, I am sure they are not hardy here..for zone 5..hehehe..but they sure get attention. thanks for looking and telling me..about them...

Smiles..Diana---ps..maybe I have some extra seeds..I will look...
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 2, 2007
10:26 PM

Post #3810885

Do you remember how big the tree gets? And when to find the tamarillo's, I am sure they are not hardy here..for

Please see my post above on June 16th, 2006/

They are tender shrubs, not trees, and no they aren't hardy in your zone.

And yes, they are an acquired taste, I think that's safe to say, and one that I didn't acquire when two folks sent me some fruits. LOL

Carolyn
wgnkiwi
Burlingame, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2007
10:47 PM

Post #3810985

They appear in NZ stores in mid-winter so would be available here right about now. By expensive I mean that I have seen them selling for as much as $2 each!!! I've seen them in the high end supermarkets as well as at Safeway/Pavillions but only in small quantities. If you ever see one I encourage you to grab it and try it. A word of warning though - they are tart, the juice stains and don't eat the skin. LOL ... and I would love some seeds because I'm sure they would grow nicely here.

Carolyn - there is a yellow variety that is a lot milder and less acidic that could be more to your liking :-)

Here's a picture of what they look like but I would normally eat them when they are a lot redder - like a deep red wine colour.

Thumbnail by wgnkiwi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

WantabeGardener
Jerome, MI
(Zone 5b)

August 3, 2007
1:23 AM

Post #3811575

Well Carolyn---I did read that post..lol..But this is the first year to give it a try.. I was surprised it was so easy to grow from seed. Always looking for something new..to try..lol...even if it does not work out..lol..crazy old lady I guess..but thanks for the reply...and maybe I have some extra seeds..for wgn...lol...we will see..brings back memories...important for sure..lol..

thanks for replying...all..smiles..happy night

Diana

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Chinese Tomato Sequee 37 Sep 1, 2009 12:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America