Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Vines and Climbers: Purple Wisteria tree

Communities > Forums > Vines and Climbers
bookmark
Forum: Vines and ClimbersReplies: 35, Views: 1,023
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Chainsaw
Bethlehem, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2004
1:44 AM

Post #912894

This is my wisteria vine that has been in the process of being trained into a tree for the past several years. It was loaded with blooms this past spring and usually blooms again after each trimming it gets throughout the summer.

Thumbnail by Chainsaw
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Chainsaw
Bethlehem, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2004
1:46 AM

Post #912897

Photo of the bloom...

Thumbnail by Chainsaw

Chainsaw
Bethlehem, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2004
1:47 AM

Post #912900

Close up of the bloom.

Thumbnail by Chainsaw

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 17, 2004
5:58 AM

Post #913176

Wow! Great pictures, Chainsaw. Thanks for sharing them. Those are some fantastic bloom clusters.
Hibiscus
Lima, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2004
1:15 PM

Post #913455

Please explain what to trim. New shoots? Mine have new sprawling growth and fastening to anything near. Do they bloom from the new growth?

TIA
Chainsaw
Bethlehem, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2004
5:02 PM

Post #913664

To trim it, I just cut off all the runners that I don't like the looks of. Kind of like a bad haircut... if I take too much off it will always grow back! I will take a new pic this evening and post it. It does bloom from the tips of the new growth. It is pretty nice looking (I think so anyway). My husband said that the only way I could have this was if I swore to keep it trimmed. It is not a hard promise to keep. Takes about 5 minutes every three - four weeks.
Hibiscus
Lima, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2004
8:10 PM

Post #913884

Thanks, I didn't want to trim the new growth if that is where it blooms from. This is my plants' 2nd year. Lost all others I had been traded, so this one must be a "keeper".

Yours' is sure a pretty one.
Chainsaw
Bethlehem, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2004
10:07 PM

Post #913982

Here is a photo I just took. Actually I think it needs more "rounding" out. Hadn't really noticed this until today. After every time I trim it I get a few new blooms. The biggest bloom time for it is in the spring before it leaves out. I think it would be hard to mess it up, as long as it makes you happy... afterall that's what is most important.

Thumbnail by Chainsaw

Chainsaw
Bethlehem, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2004
10:11 PM

Post #913987

Here is one more. I want the middle to fill in some more. I am short and I didn't realize that I had the top of it flattened out so badly. I will work on this at it's next "hair-cut".

Thumbnail by Chainsaw

Hibiscus
Lima, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2004
11:20 PM

Post #914066

WOW nice. Mine has quite a way to go to get that big. It is maybe a foot tall, BUT, it is still alive!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 18, 2004
4:12 AM

Post #914452

Hi Chainsaw, that is a great-looking wisteria you have there.

Hibuscus, Wisteria sinensis (Chinese) and wisteria floribunda (Japanese) both flower on old wood so keep that in mind when you trim and leave some nodes for next year. Wisteria frutescens (American wisteria) flowers on the current year's growth in late spring. Here is a great site about pruning: http://www.plantamnesty.org/pruning_topics/pt_wisteria.htm

Edited to update PlantAmnesty link

This message was edited Mar 30, 2008 11:21 AM
Chainsaw
Bethlehem, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 18, 2004
9:52 AM

Post #914684

Thanks Clare_CA, this does bloom predominately from old wood. It is usually loaded in the spring. I find though, that after each trim it puts on a few "bonus" blooms from the new growth. It is a cool plant and the blooms are an added attraction. Thanks so much for the link. I read this a while back when it was linked on another post. Great information.
Susan
Melba_Ga
Commerce, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2004
10:57 AM

Post #914692

Chainsaw, Beautiful Wisteria!Wish I could get one to grow here in Fl. I have planted 3 of them here, but they are still not growing well.I moved here in 2002 from Lavonia, Ga & still have not adaped to the Fl gardening ! Too much heat & sand! LOL!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 18, 2004
9:54 PM

Post #915535

It's a beautiful color, Susan.

Gagalin, I'm in your zone, and I grow my wisterias in containers.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2008 11:14 AM
Chainsaw
Bethlehem, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2004
1:29 AM

Post #915742

Thanks Clare_CA! I have no idea what kind it is. It is just the stuff that runs wild and rampant here in GA. My husband used to be in lawn maintenance. He brought home a small vine that he pulled out of a customers woods one day about 8 or 9 years ago. Told me I could plant it ONLY if I trained it into a tree and KEPT IT UNDER CONTROL!!!!! I saw a photo on our local news back in the spring of one that someone had been training for 30 years... it was breath-taking!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 19, 2004
2:31 AM

Post #915829

It is very beautiful the way you have trained it, Susan. I hope to train mine into a similar shape, but I was going to allow the branches to hang down some in a weeping manner. Right now, I have a couple of mine trained as a tree, but they are on each side of an arbor and I thought I would let them entwine on the arbor a bit and with each other. I guess we'll see how well they behave!

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Chainsaw
Bethlehem, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2004
10:14 AM

Post #916088

Clare_CA, How beautiful! That looks so pretty covering the arbor. I would love to see updated pictures of yours periodically. Especially when in bloom!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 19, 2004
7:13 PM

Post #916520

Thanks, Susan. I will post next year if they bloom. They didn't bloom much this past spring. I think our winter might have been too warm or perhaps they got too much shade. Here's my pink "Honibeni" from the year before:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 19, 2004
7:14 PM

Post #916521

Here's a close-up of the bloom:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 19, 2004
7:17 PM

Post #916526

This was my Cooke's Purple this year:

This message was edited Mar 30, 2008 11:19 AM

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Chainsaw
Bethlehem, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2004
8:07 PM

Post #916563

Clare_CA,
I really like the pink one! I have been looking for a pink for my yard also. This past spring I dug up a start of a white one from an old home place where the land is scheduled to be cleared off for a subdivision. I have the white one growing up a cedar post where I have a bluebird nest box mounted. It was stunted by being dug at probably not a good time so it didn't bloom. Hopefully this coming spring. I also have the "black" wisteria (posted in vines & climbers too) that I am trying to train as a tree. I think the pink ones are some of the most beautiful.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 19, 2004
9:14 PM

Post #916616

Hi Susan, my white one is stunted too. It didn't flower for me this year, but I'm glad to see that it is putting on growth. Of all my wisterias, my white one is the smallest and the slowest-growing. The one that I really want to bloom is my Wisteria floribunda Violacea Plena, double purple one. I also have Wisteria floribunda "Royal Purple," which is supposed to have the darkest purple flower of any Wisteria. I purchased some of my wisterias from local nurseries, but some I got here: http://www.rdrop.com/users/green/plantit/

Here is my white one which flowered a little the year before last:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Chainsaw
Bethlehem, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2004
9:59 AM

Post #917351

The white blooms are really pretty. Maybe mine will bloom next spring. I don't know if the blooms are as clear a white as yours but I can't complain about the price! The vine is a very sturdy grower. I would not callmine slow growing at all. It has grown probably 10 foot this year so far. I just keep it trimmed and wrapping it arond the post. I periodically cut out the extra vines that shoot up. I know that the one vine will eventually be more than I can comfortably keep up with! Thanks so much for the photo, just like the others... BEAUTIFUL!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 20, 2004
7:38 PM

Post #917843

Wow, yours is a good grower. If you are interested in a good book on Wisterias, I highly recommend Peter Valder's book. The pictures are amazing, and there is a lot of really good information about wisterias in it: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0881923184/qid=1087760274/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/102-0168694-4337704?v=glance&s=books
Chainsaw
Bethlehem, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2004
10:35 PM

Post #918040

Thanks Clare,
I don't dare order a book about them. The photos would just make me feel that I certainly need more... not a good idea!!! There are too many plants that I adore and only a very, very small yard in which to plant them! I probably am already pushing my luck with the three colors that I have. Of course, I REALLY do need to concentrate on finding that pink one!!!!!!!! ;0)
Hibiscus
Lima, OH
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2004
10:41 PM

Post #918053

They are all beautiful, Clare and Susan.

Guess what? We have over an acre of land, sure don't want DH to have to keep mowing it all, so the more plants I grow the better...my opinion!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 21, 2004
12:19 AM

Post #918146

Hibiscus, I agree!

Susan, I know exactly what you mean. I have a very small lot too so I grow a lot of things in containers, and it's very, very crowded here.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2008 11:16 AM
Chainsaw
Bethlehem, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2004
10:58 AM

Post #918536

Hibiscus, I know what you mean. In the end, my goal is to get rid of most of the grass! Wisteria on the otherhand would not be the way to go with my hubby. I think he is afraid it might eat the house! I have read stories where it seems it might! I want to fill the yard with Hibiscus, daylilies and all kinds of other stuff! Just a couple of weeks ago I got from a friend a three foot tall arborvitae that this Christmas will be the "Christmas Tree" I have always wanted. I am looking so forward to that!!!!! She said that she hated that tree! I always carry a shovel and a blanket in my trunk. When she said she wanted to dig it up and throw it away, I opened the trunk, grabbed that shovel, dug that bad boy up and brought it right home!!!!!!

Clare,
I love to plant trees in containers. We have about a quarter of an acre but some of it is completely unusable. Gotta come up with a plan for that part of it! A fence would probably be best but I just don't want to do that. If you are able to root a piece of the pink wisteria for me, I will be deeply in your debt. Let me know what you may be looking for and I will do my absolute best to find it and start it for you! You photos are just beautiful of your plants. Do you have a webpage where you have all your photos? I would love to see more. Hope you have a great day.

Edited to correct horrible spelling errors and finish incomplete thoughts!!!!!!!

This message was edited Jun 21, 2004 1:11 PM
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 21, 2004
8:25 PM

Post #919206

Hi Susan, This is a grafted tree so there are no suckers at the base that I can pull up. I don't have a web site any more showing my pictures, but if you go to my Member Page and click on "Link's Clare_CA has started" you will see a lot of my pictures which I uploaded to the Plants Database. Thanks for asking!

This message was edited Mar 30, 2008 11:17 AM
Chainsaw
Bethlehem, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2004
2:15 PM

Post #920455

Hi Clare, I have done a search of the beaumontia grandiflora (closest I could find to beautimontia), if this is the same plant Kartuz greenhouses has them for $12.00.

http://www.kartuz.com/floweringvines.html

I wish my temps didn't get so low. That is a beautiful plant!

If you are able to get the pink wisteria to root I will be more than happy to cover your postage. I am off to look at more of your photos... Have a great day.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 22, 2004
8:03 PM

Post #921206

Thanks, Susan, for the link. Yes, that's the same one.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2008 11:22 AM
plantaholic186
Winnetka, IL

February 9, 2008
7:10 PM

Post #4516378

Chainsaw-
What an appropriate name for a wisteria standard owner! : )
Beautiful tree, by the way. I'm inspired to play with a Wisteria this summer...
GardnGator
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2008
6:40 PM

Post #4569079

I've got a white wisteria that I got from a gardening neighbor who has passed away, so I'm keen to keep it thriving since it makes me think of him. I'm growing it as a standard too, and so far, so good. It's been in the ground about 3 years, I guess, and it's about 4 feet tall and is blooming reliably now. Let's hope my luck holds. Am I asking for trouble to feed it? I live on the water and want to be responsible about fertilizer use.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 22, 2008
2:05 AM

Post #4570673

The one at my old house always got by with no fertilizer. It might not hurt to give it a little bit, but they're not heavy feeders. And they grow like weeds even without fertilizer, so I'd worry if you fertilize it too much it'll just give you lots and lots of leaves and green growth but forget about blooming.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 30, 2008
6:24 PM

Post #4730827

This thread is almost four years old. I've edited some of my posts to update them. The link to Plant Amnesty now works again also.
Melissande
Chillicothe, OH

October 11, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #5658598

One post in this thread talked of the wisteria being grafted and offering no suckers. Any idea what it's grafted to? I like the sound of no suckers.

Also, is Chainsaw still around?

Melis

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vines and Climbers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
air potato - Discorea bulbifera euphorbrom 7 Jun 13, 2012 7:59 PM
Mexican Flame Vine Aimee 11 Jun 25, 2013 8:28 PM
Dutchman's Pipe! golddog 15 Jan 10, 2008 6:14 AM
Speaking of Wisteria... hpluver 27 Jul 10, 2009 11:58 AM
confederate jasmine dixiechick 9 Jun 1, 2008 5:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America