Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Smallest Bonsai?

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Come on guys- What's your smallest?
Mines just at 1 inch (still in training). :) I'll get a picture when I can!

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

1 inch? Great! What is that tree? I'm looking forward to seeing your photo.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

A miniature crepe Myrtle. :) It's a darling!! I also hve a couple (1 or so inch *mame*) Chinese Elms.

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

They sounds like cute! And you know the word *mame*.
Mame means bean in English but in Japan we also call the very small things mame:) So very small bonsai is called Mame bonsai in Japan.
This site is cool.
http://www007.upp.so-net.ne.jp/mini-bonsai/index.html

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes Mame!! It's such a CUTE word! LOL
I always called them those itty bitty Bonsai- hehe. Then my boss told me the name!
I didnt realise how many different Bonsai there were!
Thank you for the link!!!

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

OK crim you are dangerously close to sucking me into bonsai...(no! no! grabbing desperately at the banks of reason but slipping helplessly closer and closer...)

STILL can't understand how you keep something that small watered. Do you get up during the night like with babies...?

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

LOL Delph!! You would think so, but no.
I keep it outside in a shady location sitting in water!

I made a "bog" garden out of an old cooler Ginger_H gave me. It always has about 1/4 inch of water in the lid.

If I didnt do this- I would have to sleep with the bonsai and water hourly! LOL (kidding)

Bonsai is so much fun! I tell people to watch out or I might try and Bonsai them! hehe

What's so neat is when something so tiny blooms or sets fruit!

Look up "mame" "Thimble Bonsai" "Thumb Bonsai" "Pea Bonsai"- you will se some amazing pictures!

Check this out. ;)

http://www.bonsaisite.com/mini.html

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Amazing!! I can't get over the crab apple! Covered with fruit! How do you hold them in those little pots - wire? Do you start with air layered cuttings like the site says? How can they possibly have enough roots to live?

Birmingham, AL(Zone 8a)

Still waiting for pics...(yawn) Got somethin' for ya. Send me your addy.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ohhh hehe. *sends addy*
As soon as i figure out how to get closeups with my camera I'll snap a few shots. :D

Caledonia, MN

1" sounds like just the seed to me; are you sure it's growing? Citrus (another tread) tend to have big leaves. Friends around here--Boondocks MN have best luck training as small tree--not in the usual sizes of bonsai. Miniature citrus, however, are much smalled leaved and might work. Virtually all indoors of course.

We generally consider a nature scene a success if the frozen snowman lasts until the 4th of July--outside!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

My Citrus isnt 1'', lol. That was my dearly departed Crepe Myrtle I believe.
I had to leave it behind when I moved and it croaked! :-(( All of my Bonsai but the Lemon and Boxwood died. So now I'm starting over.

I forgot to post pics! LOL Lemme see if I can find pictures of the late mame.

FYI... I just started training a Mame Oak .. buhaha. Watch out world- here I come! I shall "mame you!!!"

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

It is a really poor picture- My camera wasnt all that great- it has also since croaked. :-| - oh well. Would have been such a sweet little Mame. :0(

Thumbnail by crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Berry Bonsai from last year- still in training.

Thumbnail by crimsontsavo
Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

This was almost two years ago. It still is the same size, five inches high, but I removed the wire.
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/199909/

Thumbnail by Ulrich
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ulrich- if you potted that in a big pot it's trunk would get fatter- you could still keep it small with trimming though.
I love the way you have trained it.
I just planted some Japanese Red Maple seeds- we'll see what happens in a few years, hehe.

I have some trees that grow wild here- small round leaves- pretty small white bell flowers that smell heavenly- gonna train some this year as Bonsai- want some for your collection when I go collect? They turn red in fall then lose their leaves. They seem to grow pretty fast.

How about posting a picture in the Eyedee Forum?

The big pot is a good idea, but I am too old to expect to see much results, LOL.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Eyedee? I'm confused, lol. Got a link?
Ulrich- those grow fast and you can't be that old! LOL

Identification! http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/plantid/

Edited to add I'm 76, :~(

This message was edited Feb 6, 2005 5:01 PM

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ohh- I posted there but don't currently have a picture. :-(- Will try and get one this spring. :-)
76 aint old!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.