Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Bird Identification: CLOSED: Look WHAT I just found :-) ID please

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 201, Views: 1,613
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2004
6:00 PM

Post #925596

Hi everyone,
I am out in the garden digging and planting,close to a Crab apple tree when I heard a little noise.I could not believe my eyes when I saw this little bird in this nest,maybe 1 yard off the ground.
I have no idea what bird this is ,even though I thought I saw a cowbird nearby.Do they steal nests ?
I have also a Baltimore Oriole nest way up in one of our Maple trees.
Can anyone identify this little cutie ?
Thank You in advance,
Brigitte

NOTE: additional pictures of Baby Raccoons and Baby Fox as of 6-28 ...scroll down if You are interested

This message was edited Jun 29, 2004 8:57 PM

Thumbnail by Eglantyne
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2004
6:04 PM

Post #925602

This is my last shot from a different angle,showing the colors of the feathers a little better maybe ?
I took 6 pictures,each time I inched closer and closer :-))
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2004
6:52 PM

Post #925652

Went just back out to take a look and there are 3 birds in that nest now...the larger one on the left,2 smaller ones in the middle and on the right,have some blue on them .Blue Jays ?
I am dying to hear from some birders to let us know what is going on here ...hahaha,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2004
8:09 PM

Post #925735

You may have a case of parasitic nesting here. It's unusual to a have one nestling so much larger than its siblings. Also look at the different coloration in the larger chick - it's nothing like the other visible one. I suspect that Brown Headed Cowbird you saw has laid an egg in that nest. If so, the cowbird chick will out-compete the others for food; and they probably will not survive. Let me look through my books to see if I can identify the nest. I'll get back to you.
RBB
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 25, 2004
10:07 PM

Post #925849

Thank You so very much for replying,
the larger chick is on top of the others again as of a little while ago when I came back in from the garden.

Hope You find out what type of bird builds a nest like that,
Brigitte
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 26, 2004
8:06 PM

Post #926971

Sorry to be so long getting back to you, Brigitte. I'm pretty sure your nest was built by a vireo. They all weave their nests in a forked branch like the one in your pictures. I'm thinking most likely a Yellow Throated Vireo (Vireo flavifrons). Can you get a photo of the adults? One thing is sure - that big brute in there doesn't belong there. If you want, I can post a photo and description of the nest.
RBB
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 26, 2004
8:55 PM

Post #927043

Thank You so much for getting back to me.There is no apology neccessary,I am grateful somebody replied with a knowledgeable answer :-)
We only have 1 book on birds for this area, I looked thru it last night.It is the Field Guide by Roger Tory Peterson called " Birds of the Eastern United States"
I thought it might be a possibility that it was a yellow finch because we have alot of them.Size would be about the same.
But I am happy to find out You identified the small birds and the nest.
Would love for you to post a picture of a nest( a little masterpiece ) if it is not too much of a problem.
Thank You again,I appreciate it,
Brigitte
PS: it rained the whole day today so I have not been able to wait and take some pictures of the adults
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2004
1:26 AM

Post #927282

Brigitte, if by "yellow finch" you mean American Goldfinch, could be. Got lots of ripe thistles around and a fairly open habitat? That's a requirement for them. They always line their nests with thistle down; so their nesting period coincides with maturing thistles. Here's a photo of a YTV nest and eggs. BTW, my guess is just that about the nest builder. I could be way off. One thing is for sure: That big interloper needs to go away.

Thumbnail by raisedbedbob

crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2004
3:30 AM

Post #927451

If you worry about the bigun outcompeting the others- CowBirds are easy to take care of.
Wetted DogFood and Hen Layers Crumbles (HEN LAYERS with Calcium.) mixed with some canned Dog Food. As he grows add some veggies and bugs.

I make my jays eggfood as a main stay in their diet.

Two or Three hardboiled eggs.
Bread Crumbs.

Peel eggs.
Mix the bread crumbs and the eggs together.

Bake or microwaved the eggshells until brittle, then crush them into a fine powder.
Mix with the bread crumbs and egg mixture.
Add water as needed.

The final mix should be slightly damp but not soaking wet.
You can also add just a bit of apple juice (Real apple juice) if you wish. Feed as much as needed.
CowBirds are alot like Jays in the fact they are ALWAYS hungry! They WILL eat themselves to death. Feed until the crop (chest area) is slightly distended. NOT hard and huge.

They make interesting pets. :-)

Look up Starlings as pets online- or bluejays or Corvidae as pets or corvids as pets. Or orphaned jay/corvid/cow bird care

Hope this helps!
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2004
6:37 AM

Post #928813

It's harsh but it's nature. Parastic nesting happens.

I'm not so sure that it's legal to take birds out of a nest or keep them as pets, other than bluebirds and some other alien species.

Baby birds also need to be fed constantly, at least once an hour, every hour until nightfall. Even then some birds require feeding. You also have to vacate their crop after every feeding and wash their beaks. And they need to be kept warm of course and if you hand raise them and release them out into the wild they'll be imprinted and trust humans and household pets which will be an almost certain death if they don't fear pets. If you don't release them into the wild, it's also bad because this is a cruel captive life for a wild animal.

Having to hand rear wild birds should be avoided at all costs.

Please consider what you may be undertaking. I used to work at a wildlife rehabiliation center so I do know what I'm talking about.

CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2004
6:42 AM

Post #928814

I forgot, but in addition.

It may not be parasidic nesting. Often times when nestlings are sick or weak, the parent will only feed the strongest and healthiest bird which in turn, causes it to grow larger than it's siblings which can't successfully compete for food.
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2004
7:16 AM

Post #928829

Micha-
I have been rearing wild animals since I was a small child. That's about 16/17 years of experiance.

Not sure about where Eglan is from but here they hardly EVER take in BlueJays/Cowbirds/Sparrows/Starlings. They "just arent worth it".

Bluebirds are highly illegal to keep as pets.

I am not one to let a defenseless animal starve to death.
If it has to become my pet- then so be it.
If the animal is a nestling it has never "been wild". It has not flown nor has it hopped around gathering bugs.

In the 15+ years I have kept "wild" animals in my care- they didnt act as though I was being cruel. It is not cruel to keep a "wild bird" as a pet. Maybe if you caught an adult it would be- but not a nestling.
My Jays adore my attentions and beg for me to play with them. They also sing to me. Not that croaking noise- it is a song few people have ever had the pleasure to hear. Very musical and enchanting.

Parrots/Canaries/Minahs- they were all wild. They are pets now because people found them to be usefull. We still have wild caught parrots/etc for sale as pets. Animals that were adults when caught even.
There are alot of Corvid and Corvid like lovers all over the world. They just seem to like being around people. Even the wild ones will follow you around.

One of the biggest mistakes a WL rehabber can make is to tell a person to avoid saving an animal. If that person is willing to learn and to do it- they should be allowed. We guard our secrets in rehabbing like it's the holy grail- and because of that alot of animal (native species) die. Some information should be free to the public to use.

Another thing some rehabbers have, is to have a chip on their shoulder. And this is bad.

A single pet owner can find out so many things about a species that can be helpful worldwide.

Good luck with your birdy situation!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2004
11:37 AM

Post #928894

Good Morning everyone,
Thank You once again for replying.
The bird situation has taken care of it by itself.When I went to peek yesterday morning the little intruder had left the nest and only the 2 smaller ones were present.
raisedbedbob...the parents are definately Vireos,I saw one yesterday when I worked in the garden nearby.You were right.
crimsontsavo...I am also a believer in saving a animal life no matter what it entails.Brings to mind a story almost 30 years ago when I was a young Military wife beeing stationed at Ft.Bragg,NC.
A Woodpecker was killed and I ended up with 5 baby birds.I nursed them going on 3 weeks when one by one died.Needless to say I was heartbroken and I finally let the last one go into the wild so I would not see that die too.
CaptMicha...they were definately 2 different types of birds,coloring of the feathers,beak size and of course the very obvious size of the babychick.

We have taken in baby Raccoons for the last 3 years when the mothers have gotten killed.We raise them and let them go into the wild here in Maine.My husband has his permit.

Last Year a very small raccoon was brought to me.It fit into the palm of my hand and I have a small hand.I named him Lucky because he was brought to me and I knew I would have to save him no matter what :-)...NOW he is a HUGE Raccoon which keeps coming back for visits.
Several Females have returned and had their litters in the barn,one nevertheless in my friends babybassinett she is storing here.
Right now we have a female with 4 babies between the barnwalls,behind the sliding barndoor.They are at least 2 months old now and so far she has not brought them out yet to show off whereas last Year I was working in my frontgarden when a mother with her 4 babies came parading into sight right thru my garden and hid unter the steps.
We find that raccoons are very intellegent and amusing.
Right now we also have 7 baby raccoons ,3 different litters which we are raising.Will post some pictures sometimes this week.
It is alot of work and very rewarding,
Brigitte
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2004
6:47 PM

Post #929392

Would LOVE to see some pictures!!! Coonsa are great. :-D
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2004
8:04 PM

Post #929474

What great pictures! Glad there was a happy ending to the story. I wondered what you'd do with the big chick. Like Crimson I'd love to see pictures of some of your other wildlife!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2004
8:35 PM

Post #929526

Hi,
I have lots and lots of my Raccoon pictures :-))
One suppose to be in a book by now.I didn't buy the book because it was/is very pricey.
Having some problems with my Picture-It Programm today,but will try later,
Brigitte
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2004
8:40 PM

Post #929538

Let me guess...International Library of Photography, right?
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2004
9:39 PM

Post #929628

gardenwife...YES it is ...how did you know ? is it legit ?
The book is called
"Forever in a Moment "
Library of Congress ISBN:0-7951-5195-0
It was the very first time I ever send anything in ,but one of my Female Raccoons came out in the middle of the day..I am as usual puttering around in the garden...here she is coming from behind the steps...I am RUNNING for my camera...came out and I said :" SMILE" and she looks like she is smiling/laughing at me.
I don't know how to insert a link so everybody could see my picture.It is called "One of the Girls" and is under my name which is Brigitte Brackett.
Gardenwife are you familiar with the site ? can you post the link if you know how please.
As I said earlier I am having some problems with my Picture It programm today.Only uploaded 1 picture so far in another forum but I wanted to upload alot of Pictures of my roses and wildlife today as well,
Brigitte
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2004
9:53 PM

Post #929643

Eg- if it is anything like Poetry.Com then you were sort of ripped off. They take your work and then try and sell it to you.
I'd love to see it though!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 28, 2004
9:56 PM

Post #929649

No ,
I didn't buy the book yet because even with my discount it was still $ 69.95 ( I think ) plus Postage.
For that type of money I want to see it in person ,Quality of book etc.
Brigitte
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
12:46 AM

Post #929846

You are NOT going to believe this...we have a very small baby fox as of about 1 hour ago..just fed her and now she is sleeping.my husband took pictures... .until later...oh my gosh is she sweet,
Brigitte
evidently the mother with babies was chased from the nest ,one baby was killed on the road,the mother took off and they found this baby and called us.I will keep you posted on the raccoons and fox babies
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2004
1:00 AM

Post #929861

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!! I wanna SEE!! Send her to me! LOL Foxes are great.

Are you keeping her? Or are you going to release in the future?
Is it a Red Fox? Do tell!!!!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
3:36 AM

Post #930144

Here is the very FIRST picture of our NEW addition :-))...I have not named her yet...but she is a sweetie and a "good girl" drinking her bottle...she drank the whole 1oz bottle a little while ago and resting hopefully for the night.If not I will feed her when she wakes up...she is sooooo tiny and had such a terribble traumatic day,loosing mother and siblings.
I hardly watch TV anymore lately but we watched a movie tonight and my husband and I held her close and she seemed to be content.She was close to our heartbeat,warm and most of all save...
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

TamiMcNally
Lake Placid, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2004
3:46 AM

Post #930152

She is adorable!
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2004
3:46 AM

Post #930154

OMG how sweet!!! She's just adorable. XoXoXooooooooo
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2004
3:50 AM

Post #930160

Some foxes carry some sort of disease or parasite that they transmitt through their urine. You can get them vaccinated against it though.
I've always wanted a fox- One will turn up orphaned I'm sure,lol. My friend Buddy always brings me some unfortunate soul to rear.
Good luck with your little vixen!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
3:52 AM

Post #930164

Will try to get some of the raccoon pics up tomorrow ...it's been a frustrating day trying to deal with my Picture It programm ...one time it works...more times it does'nt,
Brigitte
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2004
3:53 AM

Post #930166

I know what you mean, mine does the same darn thing.
Imma get off here. Good luck with your new baby! She looks just like my pomeranian,LOL!
clairelise
Pleasant Grove, UT
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2004
4:27 AM

Post #930202

What a cute little thing! My, have you been busy!!

Claire
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2004
5:30 AM

Post #930239

Wildlife rehabilitators, at least the ones I know, and I do know and work with a lot, do not have "chips on their shoulders". They are simply trying to keep wildlife's well being in mind. Even if this means letting nature take its course in the case of parasitic nesting. Would you stop a bear from killing and eating a defenseless baby deer? It's the natural order.

If you find orphaned animals, it is advised to take them to a rehabilitation center where they can be given expert (veterinary and medically trained) care and can be tended round the clock. How can you be there 24 hours a day if you have to go shopping and possibly to work? You can't take them with you like human babies.

I understand that people mean well taking wild babies into their home and wanting to raise them personally but what do you intend to do when the animal grows up and exhibits it's true nature and attacks some one causing serious injury or it starts tearing up your furniture or causing other damage? Regardless whether you release them or keep them, it is bound to happen especially when they develop an unnatural fearlessness of humans. Besides causing people and pets harm, children and pets can harm the animal because it's so trusting and will not keep its natural distance.

Saying that animals become pets and expecting them to act likes tamed animals like your average dog is a very bad mistake. Most often the animal is put down after acting undesirably. Rehabilitors will mimic the mother's behavior and care with hand puppets that resemble the same species animal, thus reducing animals getting used to human presence as much as possible which is best for the animal.

PLEASE consider the animal's best interest. I have been tempted myself to keep wild animals I find, and yes they are adorable and you do think, but they could be such a great pet if I just treat them a certain way but then I realize that I they will be better off and almost will certainly survive in the many hands of a trained rehabilitation staff who can see to the animal's every need and who can deal with any situation, provide anything the animal needs including the NATURAL diet and will expect the animal to act like what it is, a wild animal. They can then safely release them giving the animal a chance at the new life in the wilderness that it deserves. They do not deserve to be kept as a pet and expected to act like something that they are not. PLEASE ask yourself, Are you keeping them because it's something you want? You can always volunteer at your local center if you really want to help wildlife. They usually need anyone they can get to help.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2004
6:18 AM

Post #930275

Isn't it probable the mamma fox will come back to look for her kits?
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2004
6:45 AM

Post #930291

It sounds from the story that they were left in the road. Am I right?

But animal mothers usually do return looking for their offspring. Which is why removing wildlife is not adivised until they've been observed for a long period of time to see if the mother returned. For example, a lot of people find baby birds and take them but what they probably don't know is that birds are often reared on the ground out of the nest for various reasons and are usually not really orphaned.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2004
6:52 AM

Post #930297

Here's your picture, Brigitte: http://www.picture.com/display.asp?ID=1194947

Picture.com and Poetry.com are both under the same business. They lure people into submitting their photos and poems with prizes, then turn around and make just about everyone a semi-finalist..And want them to buy their overpriced anthologies or even trophies now. They prey on peoples' dreams. Can you tell I think they're awful for doing so?

Darling raccoon, by the way. They're one of my favorite critters.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
12:55 PM

Post #930461

CaptMicha,
I understand Your concern fully.However we are responsible Adults who lovingly take care of these Animals .One can say we are experienced,I am 59 and my husband is 61 respectively :-))
These 7 Baby Raccoons have come FROM a Rehabilitation Center,they are overrun with Wildlife Orphans at this point and since my Husband is licensed by the State of Maine everything is in order.
The Center had 19 to place,we took 7 ,from 3 different litters.
They are getting the BEST of Care until their release later on this Year.We live rural in a old New England Farmhouse with lots of land,forest and meadows.Perfect Habitat.
Yes , it happens that some of them come back,some times several months later to visit and then disappear again.
Yes it has happened twice that Females came back and had their Baby's here in the Barn.Obviously a Save Haven for them and their felt comfortable in having them here.
Once last Year,one of them had a Litter in my Friends Baby Bassinet she is storing here.
This Year one Mother has a litter here ,has them well hidden BETWEEN the Barn Walls.They are only visible thru a crack.They have been there UNDISTURBED for 5 Weeks.The mother is provided with Food and Water of course.
The other 7 are in a large separate Room in the Barn ,full of Hay,Tree's to climb on ,Food and fresh Water.They are NOT kept in Cages like in a Rehabilitation Canter.
The only time we have one in the house is when they are so small and need constant Attention and Observation especially when they appear sickly which is rarely the Case.
Their need is met in that Department too since my husband is in the medical Profession himself.Not for Animals but Humans.He owns and operates a Urgent Care Walk-in-Clinic in Boothbay Harbor,Maine.
As for Wildlife in general ,we are aware of wellmeaning People who will pick up stray Animals,not realizing perhaps that the mother will come back.
In the Case of the Baby Fox we received yesterday afternoon it was not like that at all.She was found on the side of the Road,with one Sibling dead and the Mother nearby..also dead.
Happy to report she had a good Night and that she is drinking her Bottle of Milk well.It is not Whole Milk but called KMR,which is a Milk Replacer for Kittens.It comes in a 28 oz Can for $ 39.95 NOT provided by the Rehabilition Center or State .
Thank You again for your Contribution ,very knowledgeable.
CaptMicha ...I read in another Thread that You are 18 Years old.
Can You fill us in please what Experiences You had/have with saving/raising Wild Animals.
It is always interesting to hear somebody else's Story's :-)
Brigitte
zonedenial
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
1:15 PM

Post #930479

Captmicha,
I agree with everything you're saying except for your comment about not interfering with parasitic nesting, as it is a natural process. Unfortunately many native songbirds, like vireos, are being hastened to extinction by cowbirds. The present situation is NOT natural as cowbirds normally only infest the edges of woods, not penetrating the deep woods, but mankind has broken up most of the deep woods, allowing the cowbirds access to almost all the songbird nests. You could argue that two "wrongs" don't make a right, but you're not a vireo.
Don
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2004
2:00 PM

Post #930536

Again I said rehabbers should share what they know. That means all of it. I would never tell a person to take a wolf pup in and expect it to act as a dog,lol.

I for one can take my animals to work- as my boss rehabs just like me. ;-) SHe'd probably help me feed the darnd things.
And i am betting Mrs.Eglan is a "stay at home mom". lol.
Keeping wild animals isnt this huge mysterious thing. It can be dangerous yes, but so can keeping a dog. LOL If you know what you're doing then it's fine. Doi doi doiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...
Man bet you would have you know what a brick if you saw the gator I had "as a pet" a couple years ago. :-D Interesting indeed.

Anyway-

What a cute baby!!!!! LOL foxes are so darned neat. :-)
And the coons!!! Just wanna scritch their little noses. XoXoXo So fluffy and fat. hehe. It's a very good picture too. You should make cards out of them.

You MUST do a website and put what you have worked with/done with animals!!! It would be exciting to read and learn from! KMR is expensive isnt it. Ack.

Anyway- I gotta get ready for work and plan on a visit to miss weeds. :-D Who knows , maybe I'll steal a unicorn from it's mum on the way. ;-)

Ciao- Jocie.
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2004
3:35 PM

Post #930622

Well said, Don.
RBB
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2004
6:31 PM

Post #930837

All your pictures and info are great but that little kit...how darling! We'd love to see any/all pictures and will wait patiently through your program problems!
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2004
7:02 PM

Post #930867

Agrees with Bob.
Totally agrees with Floridian! LOL
All she's missing is a hound dog pup! Or Casper,LOL.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
8:14 PM

Post #930948

# 1 One of the first Days we got them !
This is our Daughter with one of the 7 Baby Raccoons we adopted 2 weeks ago .He is the most affectionate out of the Bunch and kept climbing up her Leg ,wanting to be held .
evidently he was spoiled already at the Rehab.Center ..beautiful Markings/Mask,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

zonedenial
Iowa City, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
8:14 PM

Post #930949

These guys (Huey, Dewey, Louie, and Fooey) lost their mother in our woods this Spring; probably she was either run over or live-trapped and hauled away. I found them curled up in a ball out in the open, but left them there for two days, then for two more days took them in at night and bottle fed them and took them back to the nest during the day, but no mom, so took them to a raccoon rehabilitator (who I found out has only nine fingers, having lost one of them to one of her clients). Interfering with nature is NOT always wise, but hearing these little guys cry for their mother hour after hour, until they got too weak, would melt the hardest heart. As a reward, the next night a raccoon rolled all our garbage cans into a ravine full of poison ivy and scattered garbage all across it.
Don

Thumbnail by zonedenial

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
8:20 PM

Post #930961

#2 He just took a Milkbath...Ok Mom (aka me ) will have to clean me now

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
8:28 PM

Post #930970

# 3 ...Learning how to drink from a Dish instead of the Bottle,the other 3 are feeding from the second dish not visible in the Picture

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
8:32 PM

Post #930977

# 4 This is "Lucky" which I raised from very little on.He was as small as a Hamster,fit into my Palm.
Fed him with an Eyedropper,then gradually a very small 1 oz Bottle,then a Baby Bottle...

ed.wrong #

This message was edited Jun 29, 2004 4:35 PM

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2004
8:38 PM

Post #930981

Simply precious! If I lived closer I'd help you feed/house them.
My bosses had a couple coons a few years ago. Said they were the brightest most bad bad animals! LOL (bad bad stealing their food! OFF their plates!) LOL
I agree, I couldnt let a baby die crying for it's momma.
*is jealous!* ehhe. More pictures!!!!!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
8:40 PM

Post #930983

# 5...WHAT is happening ?

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
8:45 PM

Post #930987

# 6 ..Is THAT for ME ?

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
8:47 PM

Post #930990

#7 Its MINE NOW :-)

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
8:49 PM

Post #930991

#8 ...YES it IS !!

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
8:54 PM

Post #930996

#9 Hmmmmmm that was GOOD.got another one :-)))

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
9:00 PM

Post #931006

# 10 WOW a Triple Treat...I think I WILL come to VISIT more OFTEN ( he had been gone for quite a While )

Now I will try to upload a couple more Pictures of the Baby Fox we took last Night.
She was named "Lady" by my Husband.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
9:05 PM

Post #931011

# 11...NEW Adoption 6/28/04 ...Where AM I ?

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
9:12 PM

Post #931020

# 12...and WHO are YOU ??

Well all Animal Lovers,
that's it for now,will keep You posted .Of course with Pictures :-)
Now if I just would do as good posting my Pictures of my Roses/Gardens I would be happy...OH well there is always another day.
Hope You all had Fun in looking at these Pictures,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2004
9:14 PM

Post #931023

Thank you so much!!! They are all just perfect. Can't wait to see that little vixen grow up. :-)
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2004
11:42 PM

Post #931171

Hi,
I think I should have startet a new Thread.
Started out with Baby Birds...continued with Baby Raccoons and ended up with a Baby Fox as of last Night...is there any way I can change these Pictures over to a new Thread ?
Brigitte
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 29, 2004
11:46 PM

Post #931176

Nope. Just start a fresh one and link to it here for the rest of your pics. You WILL post more pics, right? I'm in critter Heaven here. :)
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2004
12:09 AM

Post #931205

Really happy that You are enjoying my pics :-) i think other viewers would too.
So how do I do that please ? I am a new member and i don't really know yet what I am doing :-)
Brigitte
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 30, 2004
12:51 AM

Post #931235

Everyone that subscribes to DG can see your pictures. Sometimes it takes them a while to look at a thread though.
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2004
2:25 AM

Post #931383

Great pictures Brigitte!! I loved reading this thread. I applaud all people who take the time to legally take in orphaned or injured wildlife. It can't be an easy job and I know I would get attached and not want to let them go. Best for me to just watch from a distance while others do the work and post pictures. Brigitte, when you want to link this thread to a new one, just copy and paste the address of this thread, the http:... stuff at the top, into the new thread. Dave has it set up to make the link when you post the new thread. You can do a preview to make sure the link worked.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2004
4:23 AM

Post #931531

No way, Brugie! That's great to know. Our Nightowls threads in Jokes & Chat have to be continued every several days.
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

June 30, 2004
1:41 PM

Post #931960

Love this thread! Keep the pics coming.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 30, 2004
4:56 PM

Post #932153

weeds...I certainly will post more pictures...probably will take some today or evening.depends on time because I have friends come over.
Thanks for the Compliment,
Brigitte
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 30, 2004
7:45 PM

Post #932324

I just love the raccoon and egg pictures!!!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2004
12:48 AM

Post #934086

Hi everyone,
just want to report that all of the 8 Babies are doing really good.Baby Fox "Lady" is doing excellant and drinking AND eating on her own now :-))...smart girl...will keep everyone posted with pictures just have not had enough time to get some candid shots.
However I wanted to wish everyone a save and happy 4th July Weekend,
Brigitte
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2004
12:57 AM

Post #934093

Candid or Canid shots? hehhe. SOrry couldnt resist!

man oh man- thats so great about "Lady". And the others too!
Definately keep us posted. :-) This is so exciting!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

July 2, 2004
3:16 AM

Post #934264

Oh what wonderful pics Brigitte.
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2004
6:37 AM

Post #934418

I don't care if no one wants to hear this. You are taking wildlife and turning them into pets. You're taking away their freedom and their right to be wild.

Countless animals are put down because they become bad "pets".

Rehabbing them with a license is one thing, keeping them as your "babies" is altogether different.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2004
12:24 PM

Post #934503

Hello CaptMicha,
You must have missed my letter to you above , 29th June where it clearly states that the animals are released later on in the Year.
Right now they are not big enough to fend for themselfs in the wild.
Contrary to your beliefs they are not kept/turned into Pets since we would have well over 30 Raccoons here by now.These Raccoons we raised,cared for,loved and released in the last 3 Years.

But YES if/when they come back for a visit they are given a treat.It is a compliment to us that we have raised them well as Fosterparents.
And YES I do take pictures to capture these moments.
Sharing these pictures within this Forum is a positive contribution I thought.Pictures like these bring smiles to somebodys face and that was my intention.
I am dumbfounded and upset ,just errased most of my post trying to defend myself.
But I would like to say this .Unfortunately You don't know me as a person.
Please don't judge me unless You have walked into my shoes,
Brigitte
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 2, 2004
12:49 PM

Post #934530

Micha-

No where did she say she was keeping them as pets. No where did she say people should keep them as pets. If she DID decide to keep one as a pet then I believe she has full right to do so. She is spending HER money and HER time taking care of these animals- so in a way they DO belong to her.
You were apparently brought up on the belief that all wild animals should remain wild or die. That is just wrong thinking.
The ONLY reason we have dogs today is because man found the WILD canid to be useful.
The only reason we have pet parrots is because man found them to be entertaining,useful and beautiful.
What is the difference between having a dog or a fox, or a parrot or a bluejay- other than they "were once wild".
If you know how to handle them there shouldnt be a problem with keeping an animal you have/are rehabbing.
It isnt cruel to keep them- if you keep them properly.
If more people kept and bred wild animals for release or for just PETS we would'nt have this problem so much.

Ivory-billed Woodpecker- Extinct
Carolina Parakeet- Extinct
Passenger Pigeon- Extinct
Labrador Duck- Extinct
Great Auk -Extinct

Passenger Pigeons were so abundant it was like a huge cloud moving through the sky. No more- they are all gone. Too bad they died out before my time- we would at least have one or two breeding pair them left if not. ;-)

Brigitte I am judging you now-
You're a kind person with a big heart and loads of patience. We need more people like you in this world. Thank you for this wonderful thread Brigitte. Please don't ever stop rehabbing. :)
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2004
12:54 PM

Post #934537

crimsontsavo, ditto and amen!!!!
Pati
Paulwhwest
Irving (Dallas area), TX
(Zone 8a)

July 2, 2004
1:03 PM

Post #934550

I also agree with crimsontsavo. Brigitte, thanks so much for sharing your stories, and your photos; please don't be discouraged!

-Paul-

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

July 2, 2004
2:19 PM

Post #934727

CaptMicha we had a baby red squirrel that was fished 3 times out of our neighbors pool just before freeze up. We held it against our bodies when we received it, fed it and loved it. It remained with us for the winter and come spring we put it outside in a cage. Over the next three weeks it came and left as it pleased and then it stopped returning. It stayed around our yard, and while it didn't chatter at us, it didn't crawl up our legs anymore or let us get closer than 2 feet. We saw it change from a dependent baby to an animal that yearned for the wild, and I was amazed how quickly it adapted.
George
Valinda, CA
(Zone 10a)

July 2, 2004
4:32 PM

Post #934898

And what is so great about living wild. No veterinary care. Often hungry. Predators attacking.

Great life! Wild animals do not die of old age, as soon as they slow something kills them.

Lilypon

Lilypon
Moose Jaw, SK
(Zone 3b)

July 2, 2004
5:14 PM

Post #934941

In our case the squirrel acted very depressed but since it hadn't had a chance to acclimatize to our severe winters, etc. we had to wait until April for release.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2004
7:34 PM

Post #935090

THANK YOU ALL
so very much for defending me.
My Husbands and my Love for Animals has been passed down to our 3 Children and 7 Grandchildren.They have been taught to treat ANY Animal with Love and Respect that they deserve.
A Animal depends on ones Help.The end Result is that these Animals love you with NO Reservation...NO Animal ever made me cry...but Humans have !
Any hungry sick,wounded Animal can count on me/us anytime and YES we WILL continue to rehabb.
Most People wouldn't care but my Husband even stops and takes a Turtle out of the Road so it wouldn't get run over.

We also post all of our Land with "No Hunting " Signs...WHY you might ask ?
Not only to preserve our Wildlife for us to enjoy but my Husband and our 2 Sons( Iraq ) all have fought in the War.My Husband has fought in Viet Nam several Years, is a highly decorated retired Soldier with the Elite Special Forces,Ranger and Delta.
He used to hunt.But since he was in the War he KNOWS how it feels to be hunted.
Beeing a Military Family we have moved ALOT and lived in large and small Citys,both here and Europe.
Most People have never seen i.e. a Raccoon ,or touched one in real Life .
I feel priviledged and fortunate to live in the Country to be able to help wild Animals,doing what comes from my Heart,
Brigitte
PS:By the Way... my human Friends also can count on me ..night or day :-)))
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 2, 2004
7:47 PM

Post #935103

OH yes...I am not always in the Barn :-)...that is me Christmas 2003 in our Livingroom,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

clairelise
Pleasant Grove, UT
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2004
10:07 PM

Post #935228

Brigitte, you are a very beautiful woman, inside and out!! I admire what you are doing for all these animals!

Claire
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2004
1:22 AM

Post #935343

I don't know quite where to begin, Eglantyne. This thread started out only as a challenge in nest identification. I had no idea that suggesting that you remove the cowbird from the vireo's nest would spark such nasty controversy. This isn't normal for conversation in Dave's Garden. I think what you are doing is marvelous. I've had some experience in rehabilitating shore birds caught in oil spills; so I understand the joy of nurturing some of God's creation, especially when you can send them "home". The idea that only certain licensed people have the knowledge, skill and energy to raise an orphaned animal is ellitist at best. You and CT are real good examples of that. I say GO FOR IT. If I ever become orphaned, would you please adopt me?

RBB
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 3, 2004
1:41 AM

Post #935368

I do apologize for jumping on you CaptMicha. I shouldnt have acted so rash. It's a bad habit of mine. :-)

But you must understand, even a licensed rehabber is just a normal person. It doesnt take a piece of paper to determine who is qualified to handle certain situations.
I have seen licensed rehabbers that are so defunk in what they do it is pityful.
Another thing I probably should'nt press but will anyway-
Mrs. Eglan is a sight bit older than you and I and in such deserves a certain amount of given respect.
A child- and you and I are children in experiance compared to alot of people on DG, should never act so disrespectfully to our elders. (Believe it or not- even arguing is disrespectful) They were here first and in such, come first in respect.

Sorry guys. :-)

Oh and thank you Bob!

This message was edited Jul 2, 2004 9:42 PM
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2004
4:58 AM

Post #937973

Brigitte, I love your photos, and what you are doing is FANTASTIC!!

I like you more and more!! :-)

We also stop and move turtles out of the road, and now that the kids are bigger, one of them will jump out and move the turtle to safety. I keep telling hubby he needs to make me some kind of scooper that I can just stick out the window. :-)

Two nights ago, hubby was grilling and a humming bird was "flopping" around in our walkway. Hubby picked her up and discovered she had gotten tangled up in some type of spider web and had a mess of it hanging off of one of her little feet. The extra weight was keeping her grounded. He brought her in the house, and held her while I worked at getting the mess off of her. He took her back outside, put her down in the grass, and after a couple of failed attempts, she flew up into her tree, then buzzed back by us as if to say "Thank you!"

Please, Brigitte, keep sharing your stories and your photos! I appreciate what you're doing, and I'm sure your babes do too!!

Melissa

This message was edited Jul 12, 2004 12:20 AM
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2004
6:28 AM

Post #939489

What a thrill it must have been to handle a hummingbird like that, Melissa!
Melissa_Ohio
Southwestern, OH
(Zone 6b)

July 6, 2004
1:26 PM

Post #939777

Yes, unfortunately we were so wrapped up in getting the hummer untangled I didn't take any pictures! :-(
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 6, 2004
5:51 PM

Post #940060

Thats okay Mellissa, your description was wonderful!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 7, 2004
11:08 PM

Post #941890

Hi Melissa,
Thank You for the kind Words and Encouragement...finally back on line...what a good Feeling :-)..LOVE your Hummingbird Story ...not too many People can say they experienced that,right ?
Brigitte
tigerlily
Tiller, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 8, 2004
4:56 AM

Post #942252

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread! Thanks all of you!
And I have rescued hummers, (once two of them at the same time) though not from spider webs.

Thumbnail by tigerlily

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 8, 2004
5:48 AM

Post #942303

Oh, wow...Tigerlily, those are so beautiful.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2004
2:28 AM

Post #947713

raisedbedbob...sorry I have not replied ...OF COURSE if you should become orphaned I will adopt You :-))))))

kidding aside...Baby Fox "Lady" is doing really good .
It will be 2 Weeks tomorrow having her.
She is off the Bottle,drinking/eating her Formula with Wheat Bread soaked in Milk.
She has not startet to eat Dogfood yet but had a tiny little bit of raw Hamburger Meat today.Will try Berries soon,
Brigitte
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 12, 2004
2:30 AM

Post #947717

Wahooooo glad to hear it Brigitte! Keep us posted! (and pictured too!)
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 12, 2004
2:32 AM

Post #947719

Definitely want more pictures, Brigitte! :D

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 12, 2004
10:58 AM

Post #948055

I've been watching and reading this thread...I would love to see more photos too. That tiny fox has the sweetest face.

Cheers,
Carol
JRush
Guilford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 15, 2004
8:01 PM

Post #953240

Perhaps a happy medium ground for all folks, pro and anti would be Tippy Hedron's documentary on wild cats. She began taming several species of wild cats for a film years ago, & learned the true nature of the cats. She now has a refuge where big cats are kept... rescued from zoos, circuses, people who thought it would be "cool" to own a tiger, etc. She has a nice manner of distinguishing and showing others the reality of wild animals. I have a new outlook on big cats now... you can see the "wild" in your own housecat! As long as none of these critters become so used to humans that it poses a danger to them, I think you are all doing wonders for these babies. Some species belong with the pros, but I cannot think of a more rewarding & joyful experience than to save a life. Keep up the good work, keep up on neccessary vaccinations (for yourself) and enjoy the time you have with these precious animals!

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 18, 2004
5:21 PM

Post #957193

I had the pleasure of 'helping' a hummer last summer. The silly thing exhausted itself trying to find a way out of our garage. The big door was up, but it couldn't figure out that it had to go down to get out. It just kept buzzing around the ceiling until it was so spent of energy, it sat on the opener rail and let me grab it. I showed it to the kids and then we watched it take off from my hand. Pretty neat!!
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2004
7:05 AM

Post #958023

Tigerlily, what did it feel like to have two such tiny little things in your hand? They're just babies arent they? Were you rescuing them? C'mon there has to be a story. Tell us. Please ;.)
JRush
Guilford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 19, 2004
7:14 PM

Post #958754

When I worked with the wildlife rehabilitators, I saw some real nutsy folks. One bird rehabber had hundreds of RATS in her yard. Another placed a COLLAR on a young buck. (I am NOT kidding) The next year it was kicked out of the herd. (by laws of Nature) The buck never returned to him. If it wasn't killed otherwise, it surely died of asphyxiation. (ever see the dog story with the collar imbedded in its neck?) Just dumb. My neighbor tosses out huge bags of bread from restaurants each night for the "wildlife." She is also breeding rats. A roofing crew left & called the police after seeing "thousands" of them. (there are kids in my neighborhood!) She claims to be a rehabilitator. No rehabilitator FEEDS animals. I don't mean some treats now & then, but EVERY night. And such a horrible diet for the animals! It brings all of the species together, & spreads disease. I cannot remember when I last saw a healthy raccoon around here. They all are found staggering around the neighborhood, until they are shot by the animal control warden. As I have illustrated, there are good & bad rehabilitators. SOme are great & then give the creature a new lease on its life. I believe that is what I am seeing here. Be resonsible, make sure it can make it on its own, and enjoy it too. And post pictures. please.
sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

July 19, 2004
7:45 PM

Post #958799

Oh that's scary! I read about animal hoarding as a mental disorder. Now everytime I bring home anything, hubby says I'm on my way! I take really good care of my animals. They always have clean cages and they eat better than I do, so I think I'm okay. Got hubby to watch out for me too!
tigerlily
Tiller, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2004
12:58 AM

Post #959148

In reponse to Blooms:

There were no screens on my windows my first summer here, and it's necessary to have windows open during the summer months.

To my surprise and fascination, the hummers feeding from just outside the window would often dart in (and just as rapidly dart out) when another adult hummer came near.

I believe the two were juvies, because when they darted in they then went the length of the window attempting to get back to the outside. They just needed a helping hand. ;-)

It taught me to never go outside while the window was open, until I got screens in place. I have too late discovered a couple of times when a hummer found it's way in to my sunporch. I'd much rather see 'em fiesty and flying!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2004
2:16 AM

Post #959282

to JRush..OH MY GOD...1000's of rats...It makes me sick just thinking of such a situation...there must be something that can be done.What happened after the roofers turned her in ?...that is not only sad but sick...HOW CAN ANYONE LIVE LIKE THAT ?
By the way I have taken more pictures of several of the raccoons lately just had not had time to post them yet.Hopefully some tomorrow.
We will wait until our fields are mowed and then release the raccoons.
Also suppose to take in a Fawn next week but I don't know any additional details yet,
Brigitte

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2004
2:40 AM

Post #959330

You are a busy lady, Brigitte..I was wondering why you hadn't posted in awhile.
How's the baby fox?

Cheers,
Carol
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2004
3:20 AM

Post #959391

Ohhhhh weeeeeeee a fawn! Can't wait for more pictures!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 20, 2004
12:31 PM

Post #959685

crimsontsavo did You get my letter I sent 2-3 weeks ago thru DG..I never heard and I am wondering ?
Brigitte
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2004
7:48 PM

Post #960332

I got a thank you letter? I responded to it too. Hmm. Sometimes hotmail doesnt like DG emails. Was that the letter you're talking about?
JRush
Guilford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2004
7:56 PM

Post #960350

My neighbor had a shed built to house (and hide) the food for her animals. When the police came, they could do nothing about it. They all know her, and they all dislike her. They have to shoot them when they are staggering around the yard, and they know why we have so many. Check this out - when my former neighbor also ratted (no pun intended) on her to the police, she placed a dead muskrat in her mailbox. I am an animal lover too - but old bread is not a decent diet for wild animals. They need nutritious food. It probably shortens their lifespans! We have had to kill rats in our compost piles. I wonder where they came from... I had pets rats long ago which I adored, but a wild rat is downright GROSS. Just a disease carrier.
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 20, 2004
8:26 PM

Post #960394

Well the black rats arent supposed to be here. They should all be wiped out. Yuck. Along with the cane toads.
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

July 20, 2004
9:22 PM

Post #960448

When my DD,aspengirl,was prego last year a hummer flew into her garage and couldn't figure out how to get out...all 3 doors were open. My SIL had a fit watching his pregnant wife climb a ladder to rescue it. Ah yes...she does take after her Mom.
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 21, 2004
12:20 PM

Post #961270

Don't have any rats (yet), but I'm working on the cane toads!!
Pati
JRush
Guilford, CT
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2004
3:29 AM

Post #964025

OK -I'll bite. What is a cane toad?
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2004
3:41 AM

Post #964046

Horrible toads that are just bad bad bad! LOL Here. Do NOT lick them you bad bad man you! hehe

http://www.invasivespecies.gov/profiles/canetoad.shtml
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 23, 2004
12:14 PM

Post #964417

CRIMSONTSAVO, that is a GREAT website! Thanks so much for posting it. I've added it to my reference folder.

JRUSH, Don't even get me started on Cane toads! I lost three dogs to the @#$%^ in Miami. I do my part in clearing the land of them with a pointy shovel.
Pati
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2004
10:33 PM

Post #965137

YW! :D
weeds
Panhandle, FL
(Zone 8a)

July 23, 2004
10:38 PM

Post #965147

Crim, do you know them when you see or hear them? Can you tell by the tadpoles if they are canes? I want to make sure the millions I have are native.
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 23, 2004
10:43 PM

Post #965153

lol- nope weeds. I dont know if I have ever really seen any- (well, that closed zoo on 231 has them- and the idiot let them loose so- they are probably all over down there.) just read up on them. I'm pretty sure your toads are probably just toads.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2004
12:07 AM

Post #965256

Hello here is a quick Update on the Raccoon babies...as You can see who have followed this Thread that they have grown quite a bit...here they are practicing the climbing part,that was a couple of evenings ago,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2004
12:30 AM

Post #965287

Brigitte, I know anthropomorphism is a biological no-no, but that little guy on the bottom has to have some pithy comment or other about being the low man on the totem pole. LOL!
Keep up the good work,
Bob

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2004
12:33 AM

Post #965290

Such cute critters! My dad and mom raised an orphan a few years after I moved out and had a blast with it. The first winter it slept in the house most of the time, the 2nd winter it slept a month or so and then went exploring. He saw it a few more times after that and then never again. That 2nd winter, it got nasty when it woke up and dad made sure there were no little kids close by when it came in the house. Sure had a lot of fun with it! Taught the dog (German Shepherd) to leave it alone, too. It was kinda funny seeing dad with that coon because they weren't his favourite animals - they always did a fair bit of damage in the cornfields.

Looks like you're doing a great mommy job there, Eglantyne.
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 24, 2004
12:53 AM

Post #965316

LOL!!!!!!!!!! Oh thats a GOOD picture!
So glad they are doing well! (((hugs)))
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2004
3:56 AM

Post #965585

Maybe all you wildlifers can tell me how to get rid of a colony of bats living in my house. It's an A frame, so no attic, just a few inches, maybe 6 between the roof and the ceiling. I do believe they are living in there and every couple of days I get one in the house flying around my head. Please help me. Jeanette
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2004
6:38 AM

Post #965717

I think a big part of it involves closing every opening that allows them to get in...More details here: http://www.batcon.org/projects/layout-binb.html

There are some bat experts here at DG. Maybe one of them will jump in if you start a new thread. That would be the best thing to do.

This message was edited Jul 24, 2004 2:38 AM
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 24, 2004
12:51 PM

Post #965976

Weeds, in mating season the Cane toads don't sound like a regular toad. They sound like a diesel engine running. The bigger they are, the louder the rumble. Wierd! The biggest I've ever killed would have covered a dinner plate.

Eglantyne, that adorable picture should be on a calender!

RBB: Don't apologize for anthropomorphism! It's the commonest emotion for us pet nuts! LOL
Pati
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 24, 2004
1:28 PM

Post #966009

patischell,
did you see all the others above I put in ? they are even cuter :-)
Brigitte
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

July 24, 2004
2:27 PM

Post #966062

I NEVER, EVER miss a pet picture!!!!! And I always say this is the cutest, bestest, prettiest, etc.,etc., etc...until the next one comes along. LOL. The picture of the "low-man-on-the-totem-pole" caught my fancy because you can look at the face and tell what he's thinking!! Besides having a lovely home and a beautiful daughter,(saw those pix too), your animals are just fascinating. LUCKY LADY!
Pati
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 24, 2004
6:21 PM

Post #966299

The bottom fella's singing,

All I want is a branch somewhere
Far away from his derrier *
Somewhere cool with corn to spare
Oh, wouldn't it be loverly?

*Poetic license. ;)
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2004
2:06 AM

Post #966753

LOL GW!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 30, 2004
12:13 AM

Post #975414

Hi again...another little Update on our little Raccoons which as You can see are getting bigger and bigger...
That is typical of the Greeting I get at feedingtime most of the time.
They hear me come into the Barn and here they scatter as fast as they can and climb up onto the sreened in window so they can see what's going on ...they are so curious !!
Then they make these incredible sweet noises while they are "talking" to me.I just want to hug them :-))
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

July 30, 2004
12:38 AM

Post #975462

Awwww! Wish I could hear them. Do they make the little trilling sounds?
tigerlily
Tiller, OR
(Zone 8a)

July 30, 2004
5:14 AM

Post #975843

How absolutely precious!
I have some that regularly visit the backyard at night. I enjoy obseving them.
clairelise
Pleasant Grove, UT
(Zone 6a)

July 30, 2004
5:31 AM

Post #975862

Oooohhh! They're so cuuute! I wish I could hug them too! How old are they now?
BloomsWithaView
Moab, UT
(Zone 6b)

July 30, 2004
5:44 AM

Post #975878

Probably wouldn't want to hug them now. Those claws can be devastating even if accidentally or if startled?
Keep us posted on their adventures - I love the practice climbing post one. Wonder if the same one is always on the bottom? They're great little thieves.
JRush
Guilford, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 6, 2004
8:09 PM

Post #989446

More pictures please! It won't be long before they are ready to head out on their own. They are so big now! I think raccoons have their own territories, so you may not get visits from all of them in the future. Enjoy them while they are still here!
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 6, 2004
10:38 PM

Post #989658

Eglantyne, thanks for sharing some of your experiences with wildlife. You are privileged to enjoy those memorable moments almost on a daily basis that many never experience in a lifetime.

My wife and I are very fond of Maine having traveled there quite often on vacation. Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park is our favorite spot. First place I ever had Lobster. We visited Boothbay Harbor several times, also. It is a very enticing area to want to live, in retirement.

We had the experience of being in Bar Harbor shortly after a hurricane came up the Atlantic coast. To witness the waves crashing against the rocky shore was a sight to see. We were also on Cadillac Mt. one early morning (a perfect morning) and observed the sun coming up above the cloud line. It was a photographer's dream shot. And finally to see the top of Mt. Kathadin, while in Baxter State Park, covered in early snow, cumulus clouds against the blue sky and the red, yellow and orange foreground of the changing season was a memorable moment. After many years, I can still see the "picture". And, of course not to be forgotten, to see close-up, the majestic Moose. Awesome !!! Oh how rich you are to be so close to this, every day.

Keep up the good work. It is a delicate balance between mankind and wildlife.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2004
11:10 PM

Post #989694

Hello everyone,
due to popular interest :-) I am posting just a few pictures tonight.
These pictures were taken last sunday when my husband as always cleans out "THEIR room " ,it is quite large appr.12x12x12 ft .
As he is cleaning the little ones have to be in a cage for about 1 hour so they will not get into the way,also for their safety.

Usually they are very mischievous while we are in there and untie our shoelaces,steal something out of my husbands scrub pockets etc.
Have fun looking,
Brigitte
PS:PLEASE do NOT misunderstand ..they are not caged up only during cleanup

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2004
11:21 PM

Post #989701

They hear my husband coming...gosh and they were just posing for me :-).the 7th one is hiding behind ...
To answer if we still can pick them up or not ...it depends on the litters...3 are shy and don't want to be touched much,however they do still eat from our hands.
BUT the other 4 ...OMG...they climb up my pantsleg and like I mentioned before open our shoelaces etc.etc..they are very smart and talented at that.
We keep the dogfood in a galvenized large Garbagecan and know exactly when we had a nightly visitor...the lid is off.
We also watched them before opening up latches on a cage...a different cage that is not shown,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2004
11:26 PM

Post #989709

This is not a Wildlife picture of course but I thought I would share it also.
This is " Foggy" our sons cat who lives with us right now...looks like he made himself at home in my "Nuernberger Kitchen " Roombox I am working on,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 6, 2004
11:35 PM

Post #989718

Close-Up of Foggy...for the Miniaturists in this group...I designed and made that roombox myself with a bandsaw I received as a Mothersday present several years ago...my husband...your present is in the trunk...I looked and just kept laughing and giggling...a Bandsaw for me as a present ? ...but it was for ME :-)
I use it still quite often.You should have seen a Sears Repairmans face when he told me to tell my husband to give him a call so he could discuss the problem with the saw...I just sweetly told him...well You have to tell me because this is MY SAW..hahaha...his expression was priceless !
Will answer posts and post more pictures but have to run because we have family come from Arizona tomorrow.
THANK YOU for all the kind words and encouragements,
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Starzz

Starzz
Newcastle, ON
(Zone 5a)

August 7, 2004
1:47 AM

Post #989854

Such sweet faces ..the racoons are really growing.

Brigitte...
You amaze me with all your talents and interests.

I chuckled when you told the story of the Sears repairman.
I love to have good tools myself.

Have fun with your company.

Cheers,
Carol
clairelise
Pleasant Grove, UT
(Zone 6a)

August 7, 2004
1:49 AM

Post #989855

Oooohhh! Adorable, Brigitte! All the little racoons look like their in their stroller ready to go for a walk!

Cute pictures of the cat, too! They just love to lay in the darndest places.

Thanks for the pictures, they're always fun to look at.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 7, 2004
5:33 AM

Post #990170

Your shot of Foggy reminds me of Alice in Wonderland, when Alice would find herself growing large inside rooms! The raccoon babies are so cute - I can totally understand why you have to contain them while their enclosure's visited by room service. They look about as "abused" as our dogs did when we had three. They loved piling in the big greyhound-sized crate together and sleeping in a big lump o' dogs.

Thumbnail by gardenwife

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2005
2:47 PM

Post #1551783

Hello again,
New update...all of the raccoons were released last fall,one female came back and had babies under the house this spring.

As of last evening though we have 2 more babies to take care of.Two males I have been told,5 weeks old .They are still drinking the bottle,will post some pictures later on today :-)
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2005
4:50 PM

Post #1552092

First it is feedingtime...our son Robbie is feeding one while I was feeding the second one :-)

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2005
4:54 PM

Post #1552100

my husband is doing his duty "babysitting" one of them while I was cleaning the crate.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2005
4:57 PM

Post #1552107

Here is the one I fed...resting on my chest before bedtime.They were really good and slept the whole night thru :-)...more pictures to come when we take some more.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2005
5:05 PM

Post #1552129

Awwww, how sweet! I hope you have lace curtains to go with that lovely wallpaper!
Pati
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2005
5:13 PM

Post #1552146

Eglantyne, more babies! :D Judging from that picture of your son, he must be a gem - his face is so open and sweet. Howie and I love that shot.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2005
5:17 PM

Post #1552155

Pati,
thank you :-) ..they are so cute.
Somebody just called a few minutes ago ,they are bringing 2 more 2 critters by...our DIL didn't hear if they said mink or Lynx babies...
this is actually our family TV room but I loved that wallpaper when I saw it,have the coordinate in my sewingroom room which is adjourning.
sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 16, 2005
5:19 PM

Post #1552159

Mink or lynx! There's a big difference between those!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2005
5:42 PM

Post #1552211

sylvi74 yes I know but she didn't hear the person correctly and the husband has not shown up yet to give them to us.

Evidently the mother was run over by a car and the babies were hovering by the dead mother...I saw something just recently with a baby squirl.When I drove into town I saw the dead mother and on the way back a little one was by the body,but when I braked it run away into the bushes.
sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 16, 2005
6:09 PM

Post #1552261

Oh, how sad! But usually by the time rodents are out of the nest they can do okay on their own. I just hate to think of those poor little babies wondering why there mommy won't get up. You are so good to take care of them!!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2005
6:27 PM

Post #1552301

Well they are here..a little frisky little girl who wnts to bite me and her brother which is not doing good.he was found on the same roadside as the mother so maybe he got partially hit too.The "babygirl" was on the other side and they were calling each other.The man who brought them is going back to see if they are any more siblings ?
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2005
6:42 PM

Post #1552320

Just found this thread and it's great!! Need a new one to post more baby pics Eglantyne!!! Wish just WISH I had a camera the day I stopped and pushed/was chased by a gigantic snapping turtle to get him out of the road. Not a cute pic though!! My friend said, why didn't you just pick him up and take him somewhere safe? I said you kidding??? His neck was as long as my forearm! Bite bite for sure!! Did the best I could though, with crazy drivers honking the whole time. I bet he was 100 years old...

More pics more pics!!!

Nicole
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2005
6:46 PM

Post #1552329

Oh by the way they are mink not Lynx..ready to take a pic in a few minutes.
Nicole...I am afraid of snapping turtles also and when we see them in the road it is my husband who picks them up.
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2005
6:48 PM

Post #1552330

Mink probably easier than Lynx I would think! LOL!!

Keeping my eyes peeled for the pics!

Nicole
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2005
12:59 AM

Post #1553077

Brigitte, I can't believe it was almost a year ago that we began a conversation about vireo nests and cowbirds that morphed into a racoon thread. I sure am happy I didn't unwatch this thread! Keep up the good work and continue to post. BTW, could that little guy your DH is cuddling have been slightly tranquilized by a small sip of Miller Lite? LOL! Works for me!

Bob

This message was edited Jun 17, 2005 6:06 AM
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2005
1:55 AM

Post #1553202

I know what you mean...Watching threads nets some fun conversations later on!
moyesii
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2005
5:06 AM

Post #1553574

This is an incredible thread! The early dialogue about wildlife rehabiliation was very interesting, to say the least. Then I became caught up in all your wonderful animal stories.

Eglantyne, Thanks for sharing those fascinating photos of yours! I'd probably never be able to see such amazing close-ups of nature otherwise. Your photos are treasures. Thanks for sharing your amazing work with us.
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2005
11:53 AM

Post #1553897

I just want to pet them!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2005
12:28 PM

Post #1553948

GOOD morning everyone,
It's good to see You Bob...gosh I know it's been a long time since I even posted in this forum even though I have lots of pictures to share.I am usually in the rose and Daylily forum,especially roses since I am a rose fanatic seems like...on the other hand what is it I don't like ? ;-))
Bob I pasted and copied Your post and just sent it to my husband :-))

Nicole ,pictures are coming in a few minutes.I just looked them over and picked the best ones to post.

gardenwife...wait until You see some pics of Foggy coming up :-)

moyesi ...THANK YOU for your encouraging words,it makes me happy to make others happy even though it might be just with pictures.Animals are sooooo much fun...well usually hahaha
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2005
12:35 PM

Post #1553969

As of yesterday afternoon we have 2 brandnew babies that I am trying to raise.
This is a couple of hours later after they were brought to me ( still in the same box )
they are in a small cozy crate now with woodshavings etc.
This is the female..look at her nose ? cute or WHAT ?

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2005
12:40 PM

Post #1553977

Here she is again...they wouldn't take the bottle so I put they milkmixture into a saucer and some of it spilled.
In the wild minks have usually between 4-6 babies whereas in captivity in Minkfarms they can have up to 10 or even 12

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2005
12:51 PM

Post #1554001

We are happy to report that the brother on the left came around a few hours after.He was in sheer shock when brought to me and I really didn't think that he was going to make it.
Last night he was moving around quite nicely and the same this morning.They went "potty" in the corner like "good little babies should "
BTW which the baby raccoons have NOT learned yet.

The man who found and brought them to us brought his wife to see them last evening for a few minutes and was pleased to see the male doing so much better.He also mentioned that he went back to see if he could find any other siblings,making noises like minks do ,trying to communicate back etc...no luck !
I don't even want to think of the drama they have gone thru and trying to survive in the wild right now.Most likely they were more than 2.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2005
12:52 PM

Post #1554003

Foggy's pictures are coming ...they are hilarious !!

will have to do it later on this morning,a friend just dropped by
salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

June 17, 2005
1:24 PM

Post #1554061

Brigitte, first of all I want to say how much I admire you for all of your continuing efforts to help all of these little wild ones who, without you, would probably have little chance at all for survival. You're a very special person. My kids have immensely enjoyed looking at all your pics too. My son (6yrs) is absolutely smitten with the mink babies. He declared he wanted one of his own. When I explained that they're wild and why you have them ... well, he thinks you are just about the biggest hero on the planet :-). And he (respectfully) requests MORE PICS PLEASE :-) Thanks again for all your wonderful efforts to help these wee ones and for letting us share a bit of it with you :-)

-Julie
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2005
1:33 PM

Post #1554082

Awwww!!! What do you do with them once they are grown? I mean, I understand Squirrels and foxes and others but how about these little guys?
Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 17, 2005
6:41 PM

Post #1554787

Hi Brigitte! Glad to see you back in the forum. Your babies are soooo cute. I can look at this thread again and again but my favorite pictures are the racoon with the egg...so expressive!!

The mink are just darling. What habitat do they normally live in?

Stacey

CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2005
5:07 AM

Post #1556422

Do you have the three rabies vaccines???
lasr
Duvall, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2005
8:11 AM

Post #1556578

This whole thread is wonderful. It takes a lot of time and work to foster baby animals. Looks like you are doing a fabulous job. The photo's are the best.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2005
2:25 PM

Post #1559468

Here are the pictures of Foggy I promised...hope you are getting a kick out of it and not beeing offended that I would post a bra :-)...but HOW often does that happen...I came in from the garden one night and the first thing that came off after my shoes was that bra and I threw it on the couch...deadtired ! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him tangled up :-)))) .just taking a nap

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2005
2:27 PM

Post #1559474

even the camera clicking away didn't seem to disturb him...

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2005
2:30 PM

Post #1559480

finally awake but not ready to give up his "treasure"...I finally after taking about 5-6 pictures took it off his neck...he stretched and back to sleep he went...oh well wish I could sleep just once 10-12 hours a day like cats do

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2005
2:40 PM

Post #1559511

How cute is that!!! Cats are so amazing...they never lose their dignity! I'm sure he's wondeering what all the fuss is about. LOL
Pati
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2005
2:41 PM

Post #1559514

Now back to the wildlife thread

Julie,
here are pictures of the 2 mink babies for your son.Give him a big hug and I wish I could fullfill his wish and give him one :-)

NCgardenaddict
We have to release them when they are big enough to fend for themselves.Most of the time late summer/early fall.

Stacey,
Minks love a habitat near the water,marshland.They will explore any holes i.e.treestumps,under rocks etc.
When the time comes we will release them in a Beaverbog on our property.

CaptMicha
After your questions last year I almost knew that you would be asking a important question like that again this year.Don't worry everything is taken care of and under control :-) and they are 4 of them at this time,not 3 ...2 raccoons and 2 minks

lasr...thanks for asking for some more photos,I will comply as much as I can.Here are the first...minks learning to eat by themselves

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2005
2:42 PM

Post #1559517

Mink girl learning to eat out of a dish...

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2005
2:44 PM

Post #1559519

Mink boy learning to eat..his fur is darker and he is a little larger

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2005
2:50 PM

Post #1559530

This is MAX ,he was exploring the pillowfringes while they cage was cleaned ( taken yesterday )

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2005
3:04 PM

Post #1559558

sorry..I had the pictures reversed...this is the one I meant

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2005
3:09 PM

Post #1559565

FIRST outing today...grass still a little wet from all the rain we had the last 6 days but at least the sun is shining.
This is MORITZ the lighter colored one but the bigger eater

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2005
3:15 PM

Post #1559575

This is MAX again...he didn't want to be in the grass long... WHAT is THAT ? he most likely thought and crawled up my pantleg back to mommy :-)

In case you are wondering WHY I named them MAX and MORITZ.
Max and Moritz were 2 little boys always playing tricks on somebody and getting into mischief.The Juvenile story is still one of the favorits among european children and goes back to 1865,written by Wihelm Busch.

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2005
3:20 PM

Post #1559585

This is me ..not always in dirty gardening clothes.It is the latest picture taken of me ,taken on Mothersday when my husband gave me this oilpainting.

I have many interests and hobbies.
Right behind my LOVE for animals and gardening,especially roses comes my LOVE for Antiques and Victoriana :-)

Edit.spelling mistake

This message was edited Jun 19, 2005 2:11 PM

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

salvia_lover
Modi'in
Israel

June 19, 2005
5:45 PM

Post #1559950

Oh thank you! He's asleep now, but tomorrow morning he's gonna be so happy to see those pics :-). The pic of Max climbing up your pant leg is the cutest pic though! So sweet! :-) How on earth do you take care of these "wild thangs" and still have an immaculate and gorgeous house? All I have is 3 HUMAN wild things and a dog and I'd never be able to keep a house like yours!! You must be superwoman :-)

-Julie
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2005
6:20 PM

Post #1560038

Oh Julie,
wouldn't I like to be !!!! :-)...NO I am always behind in things ie.gardening,decorating,sewing,sculpting etc...the animals take alot of time but take priority and of course grandchildren when they come to visit .
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2005
2:50 AM

Post #1561033

That's good that you have them. Some one I know was infected (it's hard to come by the vaccines here) and went in to get her vaccinations, she paid for it and everything and the clinic gave away her vaccine! She had to go to an emergency room.

Is it really painful by the way? I'm supossed to get mine when I get back from vacation. Boy are they expensive!
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2005
11:30 AM

Post #1561594

Neat room Eglantyne!! Very classy. I learned something today! Had no idea that a mink would live outside in the US, I didn't have any idea where they came from to be - duh - honest.
sadie_mae
Central, KY
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2005
12:49 PM

Post #1561747

Hey Brigitte, I had no idea you did wildlife rehab...I love your pics, the little fox from last year especially...did she do ok?
Vicki
bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2005
5:32 PM

Post #1562427

I thought you would vaccinate the animals not the people? So there is a 'just in case' vaccine for humans?

Brigitte - I love these pics and your story from last year. But Foggy - he is precious. Just made him happy to have his mommy smells nearby.

~Kim
sylvi74
East Bethel, MN
(Zone 4a)

June 20, 2005
5:34 PM

Post #1562433

My buddy is a veterinary student and they made her get the vaccine before they would let her start the program.
CaptMicha
Brookeville, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2005
6:14 AM

Post #1564178

Kim, it's for people who work with rabies vector species. It makes you immune.

I have to get to vaccines, I think, to work at the humanes society. I think if you work with any vector's species you've gotta get it.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 21, 2005
2:10 PM

Post #1564610

Just another little piece of wildlife to share...my husband came home last evening and wanted to show me this LARGE Snappingturtle laying eggs a few miles from here...grabbed my camera of course and took just one photograph of her real quick so I would not disturb her.

BTW I will have to answer the questions later,I just hear some little critters who want to be fed...my little sleepyhead Raccoons.I was wondering when they were going to wake up ?

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

Floridian
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 21, 2005
2:26 PM

Post #1564659

I can tell...I'm going to have to figure out how to be orphaned in Litchfield some June. What a thrilling time that would be as well as an incredible photo opportunity!!
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 21, 2005
5:53 PM

Post #1565120

Hey, how'd my snapping turtle get all the way up there? LOL!!!

Nicole
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2005
8:36 PM

Post #1565525

Brigitte, DO NOT TRY TO RAISE THE BABY SNAPPING TURTLES. LOL. They are not cuddly; rather they are really nasty. BTW I live 45 feet above a fen infested with them. One climbed the steep slope up to my yard this spring and we observed the egg laying. We're hoping to witness the hatching as well. Wonder when that happens?
ncgardenaddict
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2005
1:35 PM

Post #1567224

HA HA! raisedbedbob! Make you can get pics of the babies when they hatch? That would be cool! I've never seen a baby one, only the big mean nasty ones!

Nicole
JRush
Guilford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2005
6:53 PM

Post #1568116

You have to admit that those snappers are truly fascinating - like they NEVER evolved from prehistoric times! I guess the blueprint was perfect for this creature. Kind of like armadillos, rhinos & horseshoe crabs - so ideal they needed no further tweeking!
Julie
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2005
12:38 AM

Post #1568841

OK, JR. Here's all you never wanted to know about snappers.
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/snappers.htm
raisedbedbob
Walkerton, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2005
12:41 AM

Post #1568847

OK, JR. Here's all you never wanted to know about snappers.
http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/snappers.htm

In case you're tempted, Brigitte, here's a bit of info you might find useful:
http://www.kyherpsoc.org/services/snappingturtlecare.htm
moyesii
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2005
2:29 AM

Post #1571740

Those photos of Max are so cute! I'm loving all of these photos actually. They're just incredible. Wow, and your house is so elegant!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

June 24, 2005
12:31 PM

Post #1572400

Good morning everyone,
Captmicha,looks like your answers have been answered already.I agree that the vaccines are expensive and painful depending on each individuals tolerance for pain.Many years ago when I husband picked up a cat which had just been hit by a driver in front of us who kept going he got bit by her.Subsequently he had to have a series of I believe 7 or 9 shots in his stomach...ouch!

Floridian..COME on up hahaha...have you ever been to Maine ? it is a beautiful state ! when You first get into Maine you see a sign that says "Welcome to Vacationland"

Nicole...VERY slowly hahaha

Bob ...I know better than that or do I ?...but wouldn't those little creatures be sooooooo cute to look at.PLEASE take pictures and post them,OK ? The man who brought the 2 minks told me he has some turtleeggs in sand under a light ( mother got also run over )
Thank you also for the links you sent,will check them out a little further when grandkids go back to Arizona and things maybe just maybe slow down a little ?

Julie,I totally agree with you that they are so fascinating .
A few years ago we saw a turtle lay eggs and she cried,had actual tears in her eyes.We had heard that before but never witnessed it before.

Update :ALL of the animals are doing great,have not had much time to take/post pictures but want to tell You that "MY" raccoon LUCKY who I raised from very little on came around the last few nights.(For the ones who are new to this thread Lucky was as small as a hamster when I first got him 2 years ago,fit right into my palm )
bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2005
5:38 PM

Post #1573125

Brigitte - We will be in Maine this August...driving from Portland to New Brunswick and up to PEI. We could help you feed the little guys!

-Kim
JRush
Guilford, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2005
6:08 PM

Post #1575398

Thanks for the snapper info - I appreciate them all the more now! I keep an eye on this thread for photos of those beautiful wild babies - keep them coming.
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 3, 2005
11:44 PM

Post #1855586

Hi again,
I don't know where the time goes ?
another year has gone by and we had to release our raccoons a month ago or so.
These were happier times when one of our grandsons had the memorable pleasure of feeding " Moritz " during a family reunion.

Enjoy the picture,will post more during the week as I find them in my folders :-)
Brigitte

Thumbnail by Eglantyne

JRush
Guilford, CT
(Zone 6b)

November 4, 2005
4:12 AM

Post #1855921

And so nice to see a young boy learning how to love & respect wildlife - look at how he is holding the baby raccoon!
Julie
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2005
10:59 AM

Post #1856118

Julie,
yes that's very important to us to have taught our children and now our 8 grandchildren to respect,take care of ,cherish and love animals as well as people,
Brigitte

BTW Julie,did you notice my Boston Ivy on the tree.It is really taken off and looked beautiful this year.How is yours doing ?
magoobu
Phoenix, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2005
4:48 PM

Post #1856711

Just found this again and wondering about the baby fox???
Any more pictures of all these creatures love them??!!!!!!
Eglantyne
Gardiner, ME
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2005
5:07 PM

Post #1856738

the baby fox is a foxy lady or a lady fox :-)) now...have seen her 3 times this year.
Once a few months ago.She was in the field limping with one leg.
Then later on a few weeks later after the fields were mown this late summer she was jumping around trying to play with a mouse.We watched her with a telescope.

Than the most recent,about a week ago my husband saw her back in our barn,obviously looking for food.It was a female on all 3 occassions and we suspect that it was "Lady" otherwise they wouldn't come so close.
Each time I run for my camera but was too late to capture her on my digital.

BUT Lucky our old standbye is still around :-),
Brigitte
Have to see if I have some more pics of the fox ? I know I have many,many of the raccoons...well they basically pose for you :-) whereas foxes are very shy and sly
Magpye
NW Qtr, AR
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2005
5:29 PM

Post #1856795

We're out the door for a few hours or so .. but, MY-OH-MY !!! .. Eglantyne !!!!!!!

... I am sooo pleased, that this thread has been 'bumped' !! .. Egadders what I've been missing.

A wonderful pic of you too .. with the gorgeous oil painting from your hubby.

I'll be back [here] later .. to 'take in' all of the wonderful happenin's of kritters, kids, & kaboodles of all the other stuffs .. that I've missed !!

BTW .. if your attire (in the pic with oil painting) .. is your 'dirty gardening clothes' - - I'd like to take a gander, at what you propurt to 'clean house' in! .. Ahh puhhhh !! ..
( .. am merely, most luvinly teasin' ya, Eglantyne .. )

- Magpye

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America