Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Orchids: Any idea on an ID?

Communities > Forums > Orchids
bookmark
Forum: OrchidsReplies: 5, Views: 250
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2004
7:24 AM

Post #936718

Will post in ID forum too but thought might have more "experts" here.

I took this back on May 1st at Powell Gardens conservatory in Missouri. I'm in no way any kind of knowledgeable gardener when it comes to these, but loved the look of this one. I just got around to looking in the PDB and don't see anything like it. A google search revealed thousands of pics and little patience to wade through them all.

Thought I could upload it to the PDB but don't have a clue what it should be called!

Thumbnail by langbr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Keyring
DC metro, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2004
9:36 AM

Post #936743

It's probably a hybrid Paphilopedilum - there are so many hybrids, I think it's impossible to get an accurate ID. The conservatory might know? My guess is that it's one of the dark maudiae type hybrids.
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2004
1:50 PM

Post #936993

Thanks, keyring. I stayed up pretty late looking at these things and I'm leaning towards P. maudiae Black Cherry 'Candor Sweet'

http://www.ladyslipper.com/98j.htm

-OR-

P. maudiae Black Brier 'Candor Berry Black'
http://www.ladyslipper.com/162j.htm

Just can't be so sure so maybe I'll add it to the PDB as just P. maudiae and leave it at that if a few more agree that's basically the right species.
Keyring
DC metro, VA
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2004
2:26 PM

Post #937023

Really, I don't know much about paphs, but I believe Maudiae refers to a type that has P. Maudiae in the background. Maudiae itself is a cross of P. callosum and P. lawrenceanum.

The two you listed are hybrids, both having Red Maude as one of the parents. Red Maude is a cross between Maudiae and something else. There's also more callosum in the parentage of both.

All this parentage info can be searched at the RHS: http://www.rhs.org.uk/research/registerpages/orchidsearch.asp
langbr
Olathe, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2004
2:48 PM

Post #937054

Perhaps it's best to enjoy the pic. LOL!
HappyJackMom
Happy Jack, AZ
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #6103684

langbr,

That Paph is so beautiful. We really love our Paph. Maudiae. We've had her for over 9 years and she never fails to bloom for us. I would love to have one like in your photo.

We bought our first orchid way back in 1955, when we lived in California.

Mom

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM
Repotting Brassia Orchid rockdrky 9 Jul 17, 2011 2:27 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America