what is a epis?

TUCSON, AZ(Zone 9a)

Dose anyone have a picture of a "epis" ? i am confused as to what one looks like. :( thanks, mary

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

"Epis" stands for Epiphyllum

http://plantsdatabase.com/b/Cactaceae/Epiphyllum/

Valley Village, CA

Mary they have big flowers (some tiny) like
Echinopsis but hanging on a leaf. These ususally grow on trees in tropial climates, Costa Rica, Central America, perhaps some in Mexico. They flower in all colors around mothers day here where I live. They are stunning. Norma

Valley Village, CA

I forgot one important fact, they are cacti. Norma

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

My big red epi is about to flower all over the place. I even have flower buds on a piece of stalk that broke off when I moved it outdoors for the summer. Pictures will follow.

TUCSON, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh GARDENMART, can't wait to see your picture.i bet it so pretty. will check back. Mary

TUCSON, AZ(Zone 9a)

I don't see it yet!! LOL :)

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's the plant. It is in an odd couple arrangement with a red hibiscus. I forget how this came about. I think I stuck the original cutting this came from in the hibiscus pot "temporarily' and then forgot all about it. The next picture is a piece of this same plant that broke off back in May when I brought it outside. It has been sitting on the ground under a tree since then and sprouted several flower buds.

Thumbnail by gardenmart
Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

Just a broken piece from the spring move outdoors.

Thumbnail by gardenmart
TUCSON, AZ(Zone 9a)

OH GARDENMART, how nice !!! I want one! :) my dream is to have a green house and have as many plants as a nursery has. lol That epis dose look nice. Thanks for posting that picture. now i have a idea what it looks like. I would like to get me one. Thanks again :) Mary

Riverside, CA(Zone 9b)

Binky,
I would like to share one of my epis with you. Once you get one you are hooked. I have more than 40 different colors.

Thumbnail by NJBGardener
Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

So is a christmas cactus considdered an eppi?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I have over a hundred epis, not counting the seedlings and the christmas cactus.

To answer your question no they are not but they are grown the same way.

I bought most of mine from www.gotepis.com/cart/

Thumbnail by wren107
Lubbock, TX

What is an Epi. The epi is several kinds of cacti that live in the jungles of Mexico, Panama and some countries that make up South America. They are wonderful plants with large flowers. But they are highly addicting like a potato chip you can never have just one.

If you want a cutting I have several E. Strictum(sp) rooting.They should be ready the beginning of Oct. I will send you one in exchange of postage. Or I can send you a cutting so you can start your own. Just give me a d-mail.

Thanks so much for the offer, but between my 4 christmas cactus and three big cereus, I don't have room.

I think if I ever get a green house, I know what I'd fill it with.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I will have cuttings next year.

I can see where this site could get me in trouble with my husband. He complains that our laundry room is like a jungle when I bring everybody in for the winter. I can't help it, it's the only room with good light!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.