How are you frugal on a daily basis?

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

I'm curious how the rest of you try to save money at home. This is in addition to those garage sales we frequent and the freebies we find ourselves stumbling upon as we use our keen eyes to look around. :) You know, those things we do on a daily basis to reduce living expenses!

A few of the things we've done this season are:

1. Obtain a large capacity thermos (carafe, if you will) for our coffee.

Yes, we're coffee addicts and typically go through 2 pots a day. The major bonuses are that we minimize any extra heat in the kitchen (especially in summertime when we're running the air conditioner!) and that the coffee doesn't become stronger throughout the day due to evaporation. We make a pot, immediately pour it into the thermos, and are also then done with electricity to keep it warm until it's time for the next pot.

2. Build a compost pile. (Duh!)

Okay, my better half already had a good one going when I showed up, but it unfortunately had also tended to attract trash over time, and thus was unusable for mulch as is. After reading up a bit, I found a site where we could easily make compost bins from old pallets (which we could find for free from the local warehouse district), so we picked some up, wired them together, sifted through the unruly pile and then transferred the good part into a now trash-free, organized one.

Once we had a 'real' compost pile, I began saving at least one day's worth of trash (through veggie trimmings and coffee grounds) each week from having it hauled off... benefitting both next year's garden and our current trash bill 'cause we can fill out the trash bin with any other non-compost materials that we accumulate.

3. Recycle, Recycle, Recycle!

This was also in effect long before I moved in *smile*; it just became more methodical. We do a lot of scrapping of iron and steel and such due to my love's work, and always recycled aluminum cans... but we've now set aside a recycling bin for glass and tin cans and such that the local recycling center accepts but doesn't necessarily pay cash for. When we make a 'money run', we drop those items off as well, once again reducing our trash bill *AND* cleaning up our landfills. :)

So what do ya'll do? I can't wait to see the great ideas you have!

*HUGS*
Donna

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I quit 'Window shopping'. Now I only go to the stores if I really need something. That way I avoid impulse shopping. When I do need something I go online and see what the best prices are on the item and then call around locally to see if they carry the item and if they are competive in price. If they are higher than the cost of the item { including shipping} than on line shopping Ieither wait for it to go on sale or order it.

I also find it cheaper and easier to cook in large batches and freeze several meals at once. This way, even though it is just the two of us I can take advantage of quantity discounts. This week, Hamburger was on sale. So I bought enough to make 6 meatloafs. We had one for dinner and sandwitches for lunches and have five in the freezer for future use.

That sounds like 'investment cooking', Zanymuse, a term I read of elsewhere. Invest a lil time now preparing and/or cooking up a bunch of meals to save on time in the future. I often work that into at least one of our dinners each week... and with no complaints, thus far!

And as far as other shopping is concerned, I swear, I think we might be soulmates. :) I often find I get better deals online, 'cept maybe for those 29 cent pansies from Lowe's that are now flourishing in my garden! Besides, I prefer to shop in my pajamas, either with catalogs strewn about or checking things out online, when it doesn't matter that I just showered and am relaxing after a dirty day in the garden. LOL

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

On a daily basis....

We have a programmable thermostat - yes, it's a bit expensive upfront, but it soon pays for itself because I can set it to keep the H/AC from running so much. I keep it on about 78 in the summer, kick it down to 76 at 10 pm, back up to 78 by early morning. When the kids complain that it's too hot during the day, I tell them to go outside for a while, and when they come back in, it'll feel great. A quick shower at night (even just a few seconds if you're relatively clean) and you'll feel cooler for quite a while as you drift off.

In the winter, I set it to 68 daytime, 60 at night. When the poor babies complain that they're freezing, I tell them stories of living in an old, drafty Victorian farmhouse growing up, where "central heat and air" was a centrally-located furnace downstairs, and open windows in the summer ;o) I keep several snuggly blankets in the den and on each bed. If we're cold, we wrap up.

I make my own laundry detergent, thanks to Gardenwife's recipe of a few years ago. With three kids, the savings in detergent adds up to a tidy sum each year.

I pack DH's lunch most days - at $5-$10/day to eat out, it adds up in a hurry.

We buy Cokes on sale and grab one (or pack a cooler for longer trips) when we go places - only rarely do we buy out of vending machines.

I order water when we eat out, and I've finally convinced DH to do the same. At $2+ for a soft drink or iced tea, water is not only healthier, it keeps the food tab more reasonable.

Clothes shopping is the great bargain-hunting adventure:

At Goodwill, the kids can find GREAT clothes (some with the tags still on) for a FRACTION of what new clothes cost. Three pairs of shorts for DD to take to church camp were $5.25 - and it was the only place in town offering shorts that were long enough to wear.

I got DD interested in bargain shopping earlier this summer when we hit the clearance rack at Old Navy, and she got three pairs of pants, two long-sleeved shirts and a pair of shoes for school - all for $22. She looked at the sales slip and realized that's what one pair of the jeans would have cost if we bought them at full price.

We read a lot of books - from the library. (Great public library, and we take full advantage of it.) I love to buy books, but I try to borrow instead of buy. When I have one that's a "must-have", I look on eBay or one of the discount booksellers.

I bargain shop for groceries - staples come from Aldi's or are bought in bulk when on sale (sugar, flour, butter, meat, vegetables, etc.)

I cook most things from scratch - rarely do we buy frozen or boxed foods. (If I'm in a pinch, yes - otherwise, no.)

I make a lot of iced tea and kool-aid to drink when we're at home, rather than relying on canned soft drinks or juice boxes.

On a bigger scale, my car is 9 years old and we don't live in a large house. (This house is actually a third smaller than our last one.) These are choices we made so that we can spend our time and money on the things that are most important to us, (namely our kids, who are growing up too fast!)

To me, that's the point of being frugal; making the very best with what you have, and making conscious decisions about the things you spend your time and money on ;o)

Or as Dave Ramsey (Financial Peace guy) says: Why would you buy an expensive car you don't need, with money you don't have, just to impress people you don't know when you pull up to a stoplight?

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Terry you just made me feel like a total waste maker. LOL Kidding but proud of you.
I recycle
compost
buy on sale
talk DH out of buying just because we have the money for that new toy
Cook mostly from scratch, rarely use anything out of a box anymore(tastes better too)
Listen to the complaints when I wont turn the a/c down and pull on another sweater in winter
turn off lights until absolutly needed
I will go back to the store a week after a purchase to get money back for something I paid full price for but went on sale yesterday
Love rebates
And trading here on DG has cut down my garden expenses immensly and made my gardens so much more beautiful.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

We recycle, compost, shop at thrift stores but at what point is it no longer frugal if you have two pianos from thrift stores! I loose control....

My Dave is really frugal. He turns off the ceiling fans when we leave a room! LOL

And Terry, you just threatened your kids with OUR house! "I tell them stories of living in an old, drafty Victorian farmhouse growing up, where "central heat and air" was a centrally-located furnace downstairs, and open windows in the summer "

daisyavenue, my kids have NO idea how lucky they are. My stories aren't really all that bad (it was pretty fun growing up on a farm - except when it was REALLY hot or REALLY cold, lolol.)

I just try to make my kids understand that most of the rest of the world (and a whole lot of the U.S.) doesn't live like we do. I'm glad that my kids are willing to go with our church's youth group to help in the local soup kitchens, rescue missions, and a week-long campaign each year (always to a city/town that truly NEEDS our help to put on a VBS because the local economy is strapped.) I figure those experiences will help drill into them that even if we don't buy them a closet full of $80 jeans and $40 Abercrombie & Fitch t-shirts, they're still blessed beyond the wildest imaginations of 90% of the rest of the world.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

My husband and I found that when we go to dinner, they give us too much food. So we share one dinner. We ask for a second plate and find that we are quite satisfied with one entree plus an appetizer or extra salad.

Our local newspaper offers a dining card which has a listing of 42 participating restaurants which will give you two-for-the-price-of-one entrees with the card. The card costs $15 and you use it once at each restaurant. What a deal! You earn back the cost of the card in one restaurant visit. And we always have leftovers. This card makes a great gift, too.

My husband intentionally orders a larger lunch than he can eat for a slightly higher price, then brings home the left-over Chinese, Indian or say, ribs, to take for lunch the next day or add to that evening's dinner.

We purchased a snow "scooper" from a company in Michigan to eliminate shoveling or the need for a snow blower. Just tilt the scooper forward and push to collect snow, then push it to where you want to dump it, tilt again. No back strain and not nearly as exhausting as shoveling, no machine maintenance. We have a steep driveway and this has been a blessing. All our friends have ordered them as well.

I drink a great deal of home-filtered water. Prefer it to anything else. Except good wine...

We clip coupons out of the paper for theaters so we get popcorn and two drinks for a couple of bucks. Refills are 25 cents. I sometimes bring my own drink, have even (discretely) brought my own popcorn and never been challenged. We hit the matinee rather than pay full price for tickets.

It has been very beneficial for me to grow plants from seed. Plus, it is satisfying. I invested in a fog nozzle for watering, saves on water. I plant what will survive without being babied. Save the plastic pots and packs that plants and seedlings come in when purchased at the nursery, reuse them. Put a bag on your mower every other time we mow and use the grass for compost. Mow our leaves with the bag on, use this for compost and as mulch.

Join the DG plant trades! Swap what you have with other gardeners. Check out the DG Co-Op.

I drive a 13 year-old Saturn that looks great and runs well. It needs oil more often than when it was new so I buy it by the case on sale and put it in myself.

As mentioned above, there is no place like a library for books, movies, music, books on tape, internet access, our library even loans art. Free! (They loan books on how to be frugal.) And their sales can't be beat.

We compost, reuse, recycle, check the bargain aisles everywhere including nurseries, purchase my college textbooks online (a huge savings), like Donna we use the thermal coffee carafe. A (persnickety) friend told me yesterday that she found that she can use the same coffee grounds twice - she uses TJs coffee. I haven't tried it yet, just passing the idea along.

Visit State Parks. Take your bikes, a cooler full of food, have a great day.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I practise most of what has been posted above, esp. recycling, and thrift-store (or yard-sale) buying.

Since I have no children but do have an aging cat, I feed her well. The Vet recently put her on a special diet at almost $1 a can per day, so I've started making cat food from exceptional buys on chicken.

Yes, it takes a lot of time to cook down and bone 10 pounds of thighs and legs, and then to can it but it really saves money. Plus, I believe she gets better food. Who knows what they chop up into those tiny cans?

I started switching to the compact fluorescent light bulbs several years ago. The light is more than adequate, and they don't burn out like incandescents.... plus they are CHEAP to operate. My one exception is my reading light which I move to my computer during the day, It's halogen and so more costly to operate BUT it gives me enough light to read as my eyes age.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

Darius - bless you and your cat. We also have an aging cat and we do not give him canned food at all because of all the fat and gunk in it. It is always good to hear from someone who loves their pet and is dedicated to them.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Mariejosť. I make it fat-free. Sometimes when I feed her, I mix it with cooked rice and a little broth.

It's often a chore for me but my love and concern for her makes it bearable. Plus, I make enough at one time that it lasts a couple of months or more. I used to freeze it but our weather is unpredictable and I hate to lose freezer stuff in a power outage.

Alpharetta, GA(Zone 7b)

Terry I'm impressed!!!

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Terry- I think that we are raising our kids the same way ; ) They may not be like the other kids now but it will make them so unique later in life too. I like knowing that Henrietta will grow up to have peers with the same kind of insane mothers.

Threaten your youngens with my house all you want. Just keep it a secret that we live 8 blocks from the beach and live in 10b!!!

And as for recycling, henrietta and I actually sort our recycling for different neighborhood folks less fortunate so that they can have the $$ instead of the city. Our dear friend Tom took his disabled wife on holiday up the coast last summer in a rental car for the first time with money he made from plastic bottles. Yeah, I could save them and make money but there is a point where I know others need it more.

Anyone make their own pizza dough? Eggplant, feta, crispy bacon and spinach pizza YUM!!

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

I wish I were as frugal as the rest of you. You are definitely earning the money you save though, because of the investment of your time.

I am a thrift store junkie, true, but mostly because I love fine quality clothing and can't afford it otherwise. Only one of my kids appreciates it, but I've got her wearing Liz, and Evan Picone courtesy of Goodwill and ARC.

I suppose my biggest savings is DH. In a household where there are 8 people and 23 running vehicles at any given time, we never have a repair bill for a car. Occasionally we have to buy parts, but he even recycles those and has tons of spare parts. We also own a 1960 tow truck, which has paid for itself repeatedly, because it is against all automotive rules for the vehicle to break down at home.

So many fabulous ideas here! I smile when I look up and see we're on the right track.

We were blessed with an upright freezer this past spring when we helped move my PMIL (P as in Precious!) from the homestead she shared with her late husband. She no longer had the room or even a need for *TWO* freezers in the rockin' senior community she moved into... lol... and was delighted when we said we could take care of that for her. That sweet lady knew full well we were looking for one long before her move, so it was kinda like Christmas for all of us. :)

Some might scoff as it sits in a quiet corner of our living room, but that beautiful piece of 'furniture' is now stocked with a 70-day supply of various meats we've since picked up ON SALE! It also holds several meals worth of lasagna and such; I specifically prepared them during cooler weather so we could enjoy them without fighting against the A/C.

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

Frugal enough that today I stopped by a up and coming CVS as they were planting trees and picked up about 10 3 gallon pots from the shrubs they were planting and going to go back for some more.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Yes, I'm frugal everyday. I dumpster dive for anything I can find, food, household items, clothes, plants, flower pots, etc. I also rummage sale, thrift store shop, am a shameless scrounge, etc. I raise much of our food and can, freeze, dehyrate, etc. I compost using bird house cleanings, kitchen scraps from home and the cafe' where I work parttime as well as lots of the foods we dumpster dive for that went over the hill before we got them eaten or given away and the after the birds went thru them.

We recycle plastic, glass, aluminum, ferrus metals, and some papers. There is little we don't recycle. Only things like old appliances, etc. and plastics the recyclers won't accept.

Decatur, IN(Zone 5a)

I don't buy any clothes that need to be dry cleaned. I do the delicates by handwashing, etc.

I wear my sneakers for atleast two years. I hate paying full price for shoes so I always buy them on sale or most likely clearance.

99% of the time I buy clothes on clearance. I'm not a perfume or make up buying person so they last me years!!

I buy named brand almost like new purses at garage sales most for $2 or under.

I frequent garage sales, etc. and buy used flower pots, stands, etc.

I do all my own home baked goods and home cooking except for the exceptional meal we buy when we go out of town. My DH takes his own packed lunch to work everyday.

I buy and stock up on soda & toiletries, etc. when they are on sale.

Major appliances are always bought during sales.

I never say no when someone offers me something for free. I especially love the freecyclers website!!

My favorite part also has to do with making plant trades. How many times have you thought of how much $$ you saved by making a trade instead of buying the plant?

And has anyone here used burned out oven elements as fencing for their peas? LOL We did, when we needed a quick fix at the discovery of being a foot short of fencing material. :)

Gotta love reuse... in all its forms!

And as soon as I get established with my gardens, I intend to start participating in the DG seed/plant trades. Already doing that here locally with close friends and family!

This message was edited Jul 23, 2004 11:58 PM

Archie, MO(Zone 5b)

My husband and I both work for a trash/hauling company. This company has a transfer station where alot of loads of trash is dumped and sorted. We sort out any recycables, all construction debris goes to a certain landfill, then the garbage goes to another landfill just for garbage.

The fun part is my boss lets us employees take anything we want. It's less he has to pay for disposal.

My husband has been in this business for 12 years, I have been for 7 years.

You would not believe the things people throw away. Especially the month after Christmas. People receive unwanted gifts and throw them away brand new!! Just to name a few that I have snatched out of the trash....brand new sheets in the package, clothes-both used and brand new with tags, Christmas decorations, used but still in working condition--tvs, vcrs, lawnmowers, air compressors, stereos, radios, auto tires, tons and tons of flower pots, plants, household cleaners, baby furniture, I could go on and on.

We also get loads from a company that makes laundry soap, toothpaste, shampoo. The merchandise will not pass inspections as far as quantity. Say the tube is only 3/4 full, or the soap box is only 3/4 full. They throw away tons of this perfectly good stuff annually. I didn't have to buy meow mix cat food or laundry detergent for two years solid! It took a lot of room to store but I saved a ton of money!

I tried to find some women's shelters and pantries, soup kitchens, etc. that they could take it to for free instead of them having to pay disposal on it but my problem was storing the stuff until it was all distributed, AND the company said it would be too much paper work for them according to company policy to "donate" this stuff.

So I have to sit back and watch all this go to landfills. Us employees try to take as much as we can and give away to people we know could use it, but there is still way too much going to the landfill that I am sure would gladly be taken. Last week a container that is 23' long, 8 foot wide and 4' tall came in full of Mentadent toothpaste in the cases. We took all we could haul but that container was still over 80% full. THAT'S ALOT OF TOOTHPASTE!

I wish everyone would be more frugal and quit throwing away perfectly good merchandise!

*waves hello to LBMOORE from a born-and-bred "Show Me State" lady*

I think it's fabulous how you employees get to both use and SHARE those perfectly fine goods that you stumble across. Silly how that 'red tape' comes into play when you're trying to share perfectly good items with those in need, though!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

LBMOORE - Bravo! Are you hooked up with the Freecycle group in your area? http://freecycle.org

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

LBMoore, you only live about 60 miles from me! I can give you outlets for lots of that detergent, toothpaste, etc. We dumpster dive and give away a lot of it to those who are needy and I know I could place a lot of that stuff for you. We have a Dodge Caravan so could handle a good size load at a time. E-mail me if you are inclined to do so and spread the good around even more. My DD lives in Independence and would be glad to help spread around some too. She often takes some of what we collect and hands it out to fellow employees and friends. I shudder to think what our home would look like if I had your job!

barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

hey trutti-fruitti, gevalia has a deal where you can get 2 packages of coffee and a coffee-maker that has a thermos for about $14,00. after your shipment you can cancel the coffee club (because it's too expensive) and keep the coffee- maker as their gift.

You know, I tried Gevalia coffee once, and they do give nice incentives to do so! After a few months, though, I switched back to Starbucks as I liked it much better, even if it also was expensive. I mainly used it as a treat for myself! :)

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

How well do the Gevalia coffeemakers work? I see them in the Thrift stores constantly. Wondered why people didn't keep them and use with other coffee?

Gardena, CA

Am I the only person left that still uses a percolator. I can make my coffee twice as strong using only half the amount. I have been straining coffee grounds through my teeth all my life and really don't plan to switch. If you love your coffee, the old way was always the best.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

All of your posts are very inspiring. I'm not normally a thrifty person really, but recently I've picked up a few good habits.

1 - I've taken up garage saling. Before this summer, I had not been to a garage sale since I was a kid.

2 - I make my grocery list each week from the grocery store add. I flip through, see what's on sale and that dictates what we are having for dinner for the week. I also stock up on 2 for 1 buys and other things like meat and freezable things if at a good price.

3 - Started a compost bin.

I'm getting some good ideas from this post, I hope they keep coming. I was really interested in someone's idea earlier about cooking meals in the winter and storing them in the freezer for summer dinners. I'd love to hear your ideas on keeping the house cool. I constantly battle this. Our AC unit is quite small and with the oven/dishwasher running and the kids running in and out, the utility bill gets pricey!

Jen

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

Hey Jen - I figured out a way to keep the heat out of the kitchen in the summer! Last week I saw an ad in the paper for a gas grill for $50 - moving sale. My DH went and picked it up the next day - it is a very large grill in perfect working order and still has a propane tank almost full of gas!

I have been letting him cook dinner on his new grill as often as I can. I wrap a couple potatoes in aluminum foil and he cooks them on the upper rack in the grill while the meat is cooking. I usually warm up some veggies in the microwave - but we have also cooked veggies on the grill as shish-ka-bobs(sp?). We are going to learn how to cook fish on the grill. We are finding that the grill outdoors is saving us money on the cost of heating up the burners on the stove and in the oven, and the cost of air conditioning to cool the kitchen, but the extra benefit is that food cooked on the grill is fat free and much healthier for us!

We also do the thrift sales, and we recycle, recycle, recycle. Most of my garden scraps, weeds and kitchen scraps are fed to the chickens - and when they are done with them all the organic stuff I clean out of the chicken coop goes into the compost bin!

I love this thrifty thread!
Cindy Lou

jen815, you'll start to see some bigger savings on your food bill when ingredients are really on sale and you cook two meals at once, freezing the extra one. A few days a week doing that can pay off - both in money saved and in your time (not to mention it takes only a fraction more stove or oven heat to prepare two meals as it does one.)

Many casseroles can be assembled and at the point you slide tonight's dinner in the oven, slide the other one in the freezer, or pre-cook it and freeze for microwaving later. Leftover roast can be frozen for sandwiches (hot or cold), and any remaining after that (along with the gravy) can be stretched into a very satisfying "hash" with a lot of potatoes in proportion to the meat (that's one of my family's favorite Sunday night suppers ;o)

And I absolutely agree about the gas grill - using it to cook your meat (and some veggies too) keeps the house much more comfortable, and we love the taste of grilled food - burgers, chicken, fish are all excellent choices ;o) Extra burgers and hotdogs make great next-day lunches; leftover grilled chicken can be sliced over a salad.

In the winter, it's easier for me to slide in lower-meat/meatless meals on my family in the form of soups: ham-and-bean soup (a little ham can go a long way), cream of potato, tomato or winter squash, a thick corn chowder, etc. Mmmmmmmm. They barely notice there' s no (or very little meat), and it sure helps ease up on the food budget!

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I wish now that we'd gotten the gas grill with the burner on the side. Several times we've boiled corn and wished we could boil it outside on the grill. I know we could soak and grill it, but we like to boil it just until tender.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

GW, have you tried microwaving the corn, then grilling it? My Honey does that and it is so moist and wonderful. The grandchildren go wild for it. He leaves the husks on, being careful of the steam when he removes he husks. Microwaving keeps the heat out of the kitchen but we get that great grilled flava.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I've microwaved shucked corn in plastic wrap, but never tried it with the husks on it. Hmmmmm....I just know I love, love, love sweetcorn.

Golden, CO(Zone 5b)

When we lived in Tulsa, I found an electric 2 burner hotplate at a garage sale, and set it up outside for most of the summer. DH about had a fit that I was running it off an extension cord, but it sure did save on the heat in the house!

Gas grills *ROCK* in the summertime, and though we only have a small one (found it brand-new at Goodwill for a fraction of the price!), it's adequate for our 3-member family. We use it all the time, and SO1 and his son love to taunt one another about how best to grill things, so it's a bonding time for them, as well. :)

And I always know how something they grilled turned out based on the "Look what we did, Mom!" vs the "Look what Dad did, Mom!" report as the platter returns inside. *giggle*

And SO1 had a burner plate he set up in the carport area on a workbench for my canning, complete with an outdoor extension cord hooked up and fed outside the bathroom window. (my idea) A steady wind and the weight of the canning cooker quickly shot that idea down after I used the setup to sterilize jars, so I've done all my real canning indoors... but...

...we really could use that burner plate for regular stockpots of fresh corn when we're grilling outside anyway. And I can use it to simmer some of the soups/sauces I'd like to can with our garden produce while the weather is still warm. SO1 is already smiling, 'cause he knew it was a good idea. YES!!! :)

I like seeing how this thread keeps moving on and surprising me with more/better ideas!

In fact, I may just start a new series to consolidate info on certain reusable items that are common household waste... hmmm...

Ya'll keep posting as I think! LOL

Edgewater, MD(Zone 7a)

I havnt seen a perculator pot in years, maybe I just dont shop in the right places, but you can also make the coffee stronger just by using two coffee filters instead of one, it lets the water steep(sp) just a bit longer so you dont feel like you wasted a bunch of grounds.

I grill outside even in the rain, when its snowing Im grilling. I only stop when it gets too cold to go outside for even a minute without a coat, then Id rather let the heat from the oven help warm the house. Ive been known to leave the oven door open a few inches after Im done cooking until it cools down, sure warms up the house and I pay attention to the fact that for a short time the furnace dosnt come on as often.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

My friend bought a reproduction of a 50's percolator to go with their new retro-look kitchen. I can't wait to see it.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

I still have my small tin percolator pot I got 35 years ago. It still makes better coffee than the Mr. Coffee that sits gatering dust. I just have to hide it when anyone comes over because it is pretty ugly and beat up looking. If I forget to hide it I end up getting another dust collecting Mr. coffee on my next BD or Christmas

Gardena, CA

Yep, they still sell them in my neighborhood. They last forever. Only thing that can break is the glass dome on the lid and my drug store and market sell replacements.

I have three. One old ugly one that I use everyday. The nice shiney one I bring out when I have guests and the big porcelan one I take camping. When the power goes out, I can still have my hot cup of coffee.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Not that I like big box stores and I wouldn't buy there but when I took my Gran to Walmart, they had percolators.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images