Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Frugal Living: How are you frugal on a daily basis?

Communities > Forums > Frugal Living
bookmark
Forum: Frugal LivingReplies: 115, Views: 2,088
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TuttiFrutti
Spokane Valley, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 14, 2004
8:30 AM

Post #951009

I'm curious how the rest of you try to save money at home. This is in addition to those garage sales we frequent and the freebies we find ourselves stumbling upon as we use our keen eyes to look around. :) You know, those things we do on a daily basis to reduce living expenses!

A few of the things we've done this season are:

1. Obtain a large capacity thermos (carafe, if you will) for our coffee.

Yes, we're coffee addicts and typically go through 2 pots a day. The major bonuses are that we minimize any extra heat in the kitchen (especially in summertime when we're running the air conditioner!) and that the coffee doesn't become stronger throughout the day due to evaporation. We make a pot, immediately pour it into the thermos, and are also then done with electricity to keep it warm until it's time for the next pot.

2. Build a compost pile. (Duh!)

Okay, my better half already had a good one going when I showed up, but it unfortunately had also tended to attract trash over time, and thus was unusable for mulch as is. After reading up a bit, I found a site where we could easily make compost bins from old pallets (which we could find for free from the local warehouse district), so we picked some up, wired them together, sifted through the unruly pile and then transferred the good part into a now trash-free, organized one.

Once we had a 'real' compost pile, I began saving at least one day's worth of trash (through veggie trimmings and coffee grounds) each week from having it hauled off... benefitting both next year's garden and our current trash bill 'cause we can fill out the trash bin with any other non-compost materials that we accumulate.

3. Recycle, Recycle, Recycle!

This was also in effect long before I moved in *smile*; it just became more methodical. We do a lot of scrapping of iron and steel and such due to my love's work, and always recycled aluminum cans... but we've now set aside a recycling bin for glass and tin cans and such that the local recycling center accepts but doesn't necessarily pay cash for. When we make a 'money run', we drop those items off as well, once again reducing our trash bill *AND* cleaning up our landfills. :)

So what do ya'll do? I can't wait to see the great ideas you have!

*HUGS*
Donna

This thread has 115 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. Take a tour of our site and learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!

Other Frugal Living Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Uses for Vinegar Terry 51 Apr 12, 2008 11:01 AM
Rootone substitute? Paris 14 Mar 26, 2009 12:23 PM
Free trees and plants? djm906 25 Nov 13, 2007 1:22 PM
Low-Cost Grow-Light Frame Plans & Horizontal hydroponic unit NatureWalker 40 Dec 14, 2008 11:09 PM
cat litter troy 51 Apr 14, 2009 8:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America