Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 11, Views: 863
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

July 16, 2004
5:39 PM

Post #954689

We're making salsa today!! Actually, we MADE salsa since we're done and all that's left is to jar it up. It's cooking down right now.

I would be remiss in not sharing our salsa recipe with you guys. This is Trish's recipe so I'm going on memory here:

Cherokee Purple tomatoes (around 2 gallons after they are skinned, seeded and chopped) (You can substitute for an inferior tomato if you want, but I wouldn't recommend that.)

Bell peppers
Habanaro peppers (around 1/5 of a pound)
Onions
Celery
Garlic
carrots (yes, carrots!)
Cilantro (fresh please)

Now, HERE IS THE SECRET! Take these veggies, core the peppers and julian the carrots (peel and cut in 4 long strips). Leave everything else whole.

Go outside and in your charcoal grill, build a big fire with liveoak or other hardwood. Let the fire get good and hot and then add some wet or green wood for smoke. Then roast every single item that goes into the salsa. Roast it all for several minutes each. Then peel the tomatoes (they'll be easy at that point). Chop everything up and throw it in a big pot and boil over high heat on the stove until it's cooked down to the consistency you like.

Use a hand-held blender to really puree if you want. Also add canned tomato sauce or paste to taste.

The oak fire gives the salsa a character that you'll never believe until you try. And, once you try this method, you'll never go back!

YUM YUM YUM!

dave
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

July 16, 2004
10:01 PM

Post #954956

oh my gosh, that has to be WONDERFUL!

Big_Red
Bethelridge, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2004
2:58 AM

Post #955291

Guess I gotta save my CP tomatoes, I only got 3 plants! Now this looks like a recipe for salsa!
dave

July 17, 2004
3:21 AM

Post #955333

It is indeed! The smoke gives it a character that is really too good to believe. The salsa comes alive with flavour, intensity and character. Make sure there's a LOT of smoke coming off the grill and be ready to continue to smell like smoke for several hours afterward!

dave

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2004
6:08 PM

Post #958673

Sounds excellent! One tiny note of caution - I would add some lime juice, lemon juice or vinegar (or some combination of juice and vinegar) to up the acidity if you're planning on long-term shelf life, and a bit of salt for good measure.
dave

July 19, 2004
7:57 PM

Post #958810

Yes to both! :) I was remiss in mentioning the preservative options in my post. Thanks!

dave
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 19, 2004
8:22 PM

Post #958853

I've never tried doing salsa that way but will definitely give it a try! Can you add jalapeno peppers at all? Jalapenos are my favorites.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 12, 2008
11:46 PM

Post #5544355

Ooooh, this sounds so good! So glad I did a search for salsa recipes!

Gonna have to get some hardwood for smoking. . .

This *needs* to be bumped up!
dave

September 13, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #5546306

This is still the recipe we use today. Unfortunately our tomato crop was bad this year and we are now out of salsa, but hopefully our fall crop will produce before the frost comes in a couple months.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2008
1:26 AM

Post #5552534

Well, we've had almost 10" of rain in the past two days, so no chance to fire up the grill. My tomatoes were all cracking and rotting, and I HAD to get something made with them, so went ahead and tried a different recipe I found here on DG. I still intend to try this recipe, though, as soon as we dry out!

Do you have rough quantities of pepper, onions, carrots, etc? The recipe I just used had 8 c. tomatoes, 1-1/2 c. bell peppers, 3-5 jalepenos, 6 cloves garlic, 1/3 c. vinegar or lime juice. Does that sound like roughly the proportions you use? My DH (also named Dave) will love yours, if it includes habaneros! We've got them coming out our ears about now!

How do you do the garlic on the grill? Just put the whole head on, as if roasting it? I can just imagine what the smoke adds. . .

Thanks for sharing and inspiring us!
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 10, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9077342

my secret to excellent salsa... is to pack up all the required ingredients, load 'em in the car and drive 'em over to my Best friend's house (who happens to be Mexican ... tee hee) and unload it... come back a few hours later and all my wonderful produce has been magically transformed into SALSA! Gotta love authenticity in cooking! I

LOL, seriously, I'm a gardener but not a cook, hehe. I can grow it, she can cook it. we make a great team!

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

April 10, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9077832

That sounds like a great plan to me! :) Especially if you're willing to share the finished product. Definitely a win-win situation!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM
Recipe for Dilly Beans critterologist 29 May 25, 2008 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America