Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Canning, Freezing and Drying: Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 18, Views: 506
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2004
6:35 PM

Post #961890

whether it's dills or bread & butter...

I have always done that "hot water bath" to seal the jars. I have seen other recipes that don't seem to require that. Does anyone know what the difference is in the 2 methods, and how long the ones that aren't bathed can keep, if in a cool place? I don't have the refrigerator space to have that many jars saved in them.

RikerBear
Seattle, WA
(Zone 8b)

July 21, 2004
7:00 PM

Post #961922

Refridgerated pickles keep around 90 days...refridergateds that is. Not sure one can keep them on the shelf unless water bathed and sealed...could be wrong though, lord knows I have been before LOL
Vashur
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2004
7:49 PM

Post #961961

The extension service has put out some new recipes in recent years that use a lower temperature pasteurization process.. It requires holding the hot water bath at 180 F for a certain time. This would help in keeping the pickles crisper. I haven't tried it but it sounds interesting.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2004
7:52 PM

Post #961970

do you have a link to that, by any chance? I know in past years, I have lowered the amount of time I kept the jars under water, and that has helped quite a bit (I've gone from 20 minutes to 5 minutes) and noone has died yet!
Vashur
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2004
11:56 AM

Post #962814

I don't have a link. I got them on paper from the county extension office. There may be one near you or it may be somewhere on the web.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 22, 2004
5:39 PM

Post #963345

Well - this is what WSU had to say about it:

http://foodsafety.wsu.edu/factsheet.asp?pid=71
Vashur
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6b)

July 22, 2004
8:11 PM

Post #963471

Karrie... Here is a good link. USDA guidelines for the low temp process and a whole booklet of other pickle methods.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/usda/utah_can_guide_06.pdf
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 23, 2004
5:13 PM

Post #964775

Did you see my other post? I found a booklet online that has everything you need to know - very informative. The WSU extension office emailed the link to me. It includes recipes too.
Vashur
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6b)

July 23, 2004
8:34 PM

Post #965010

Karrie- Sorry... I couldn't find the recipes and such in your link.
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

July 25, 2004
5:50 PM

Post #967365

They are there - look at the thumbnails on the left. There is one that says recipes.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2004
3:00 AM

Post #1046669

This may sound crazy, but I have been canning pickles and jams and jellys all my life and I have never used a hot water bath or pressure cooker on them. I have everything including the lids in boiling water. i.e. jars, lids, and the vinegar water.

Everything hot but the cukes. And they seal.

Jeanette
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2004
6:43 AM

Post #1046839

Jnette, I'll bet they are crunchier as well! I have already learned to reduce the boiling water time down, as it turns the pickles into mush. Please feel free to email me any recipes you have - I am always looking for the "perfect pickle recipe".
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2004
3:20 PM

Post #1047297

Karrie, I just put anything in that I want. i.e. garlic, red pepper, pickling spices, dill etc. in each jar. Then add the brine. I don't hot bath or anything. As long as the brine and everything else is hot they seal. And I mean boiling hot.on the jars and lids. I turn the brine off when I start loading the jars so it is fairly hot also.

You watch, or listen. If they are indented, they are sealed. Jeanette
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 13, 2004
6:11 PM

Post #1047567

I've been using half white vinegar & half apple cider vinegar lately - seems to be tasty. What do you use Jnette? I'm going to give yours a try. I use a slit jalapeno pepper per jar sometimes, always pickling spices & dill.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2004
10:09 PM

Post #1047836

Karrie, Whatever works for you. I really prefer the flavor of the cider vinegar. But, the pickles are clearer and I really think crisper with the white.

As far as the jalapinos, use anything you want. I like the little red peppers myself. They are pretty with the pickling spices etc. Just one so they aren't too hot. I also like the flavor of the jalapinos.

Jeanette
Karrie20x
Spokane, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2004
7:11 PM

Post #1049122

I had a dream last night I was pickling dill pickles your way jnette, lol! But today I canned Hot Sauce - I've already canned my dill pickles for the year. I am going to do some bread & butter ones tomorrow.
LenaBeanNZ
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10b)

March 2, 2008
12:43 AM

Post #4610491

Hi Jeanette,

I found this old thread by doing a search on cucmber pickles. I hope it will still show up on your threadwatcher! Anyway, Im trying to make cucumber pickles for the first time. Could you please give me a few hints, how to make the brine, how much vinegar to water, salt etc. I have some fresh dill which is just beginning to flower, which Id like to use. Ive looked up some recipes from which ill addapt my own, just not so sure about the brine.
Any help would be great! Thanks,

Lena
KatG
Port Charlotte, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 21, 2008
3:52 AM

Post #4689449

Like Jnette - I agree with not using the hot water bath with pickles. Last year I made a bunch in a crock and then later jarred them and used a hot water bath and they were so soggy. I used to make pickles year after year with my Mom and we never used a hot water bath and they were great and I'm still alive!

I just made these last night as it's cucumber season here. They sealed up really good and so far so good (fingers crossed!). I had one that was being stubborn and not wanting to seal, so I poured out the liquid into a container and nuked it for 3 minutes and poured it back in. Seems fine now. Like Jnette say's, everything needs to be hot!

Kat

Thumbnail by KatG
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KatG
Port Charlotte, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 21, 2008
3:53 AM

Post #4689454

I'm on a canning frenzy! hehe - Last night dill pickles and tonight pickled eggs! I'd can all day if I didn't have a job!

Thumbnail by KatG
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM
Recipe for Dilly Beans critterologist 29 May 25, 2008 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America